Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,712 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise (11300 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:41pm On Jul 08, 2011
I have been trying to land a sweet car purchase deal on Nairaland but have been discouraged for the following reason, Toks cars shipped from abroad are way too expensive (especially when they carry a valid VIN with a Clean title) it seems better to get a Nigerian-used that you have checked yourself.

I have noticed most car adverts that do not carry mileages are actually between 60,000km to 150,000km when i come for inspection and the dealer is not willing to reduce pricing based on mileage. I usually get the argument that it was neatly used and has no problem whatsoever as long as i maintain it well.

I recently went online to calculate the distance between Lagos and Kaduna by road - it is an impressive 729.62 km to 802.06 km if you start from Toll-gate -> Sagamu -> Ibadan -> Oyo -> Ogbomosho -> Illorin -> Jebba -> Bida ->Abuja FCT -> Kaduna

http://distancecalculator.himmera.com/driving_distance_from-kaduna_to_lagos_between_road_direction-8387.html

A car with mileage of 70,000km will need to have travel 88 trips (44 times back and forth) between Lagos and Kaduna  shocked Imagine how many trips a car with 150,000km has done and yet the price from the dealer will refuse to move from N2.2M.

I disagree that the inner and outer neat appearance of a car is not enough to justify a high mileage+high price on a car. Mileage will definitely have negative impact on the car's engine which is the most important part of the car.

I need to know why some dealers do not consider a high mileage a good enough reason to drop their (High) price. are there any other factors that reveal why one should accept a car with very high mileage?

Please I am interested in your views
Thank you

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 4:47pm On Jul 08, 2011
I think this is a great thread . . . Will help buyers to understand what made the price of a ride to be expensive and not just cos the mileage is this or that.

But for the fun of it, let us Pick a car and the year and the model and the features you would want on the ride . . . . . so chose one and let us have fun.

Now the ball is in your court

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:38pm On Jul 08, 2011
Thanks for your response but before I carry on let mention i will not past NL dealers I have met over the past week. I will however give you an idea of what I am looking for and the price range NL dealers are offering

Honda Accord 2006 LX SE - Full-Options! to use dealer parlance  grin
Mileage: between 50,000km - 60,000km
Power Windows
5-Speed Transmission
Alloy-Wheels
Leather Seats
Power Seats
Sun-Roof -NO

I have seen Honda Accord 2006 from dealers - Toks and Nigerian used well above 100,000km for nothing less than N2.5M. Non-negotiable. I saw a Nigerian-used for N1.6 and Man it was well-used wink but still looked clean

Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 7:15pm On Jul 08, 2011
[b]OK . . .  Kool, Now let us have fun.
For a 2006 Honda Accord, it was actually manufactured in 2005 . . . . .  and released in 2005, so that means we are actually working with a ride that is 5.5 years old.
Average Mileage of a ride in Yankee = 15K Miles and in Canada = 30K Km.
So that means for a 2006 ride, it would be 82.5K MIles in Yahoo or 165K Kilometers, if from Canada.

So now you are looking for a ride that is way below average.
LX is the basic of the Accords, so that is one good thing:

MUST it be a clean carfax report, or you dont mind something with little accident but has been fixed and working fine?

But here is a break down that might be helpful in explaining how it works.

Within 500 Miles of me, there are 402 of 2006 Honda Accord that is offered for sale.
When i put a condition that it HAS to be 60K Miles or less, i am left with 141 cars.
When i added another condtion that it is LX that i want . . .  I am left with only 30 cars.
Now i want 5 Speed (Manual) Based on your specs . . .   Only 5 is available.
Now i want somethng with clean record . . .  i am left with only 3 rides available.

Average cost of those 3 is 12,500$$ . .   Please note that i said AVERAGE price.
We will have to pay to transport this to the port . .  Average cost = 300$$
Shipping and CTN cost = 1300$$ and could be more depending on the port.
Cost of transfering my money back to Yankee or Canada too = 250$$ and could be more.
Cost of sending the BOL to Nigeria = 100$$
Cost of Clearing the ride = 250K Naira.

$$ right now is like 158Naira. . . . .  Total cost before clearing would be 2,322,600 Naira + CLearing = 2,572,600 Naira.

I am sure you would not complain if the dealer wanna make some change too.

Here is the thing . . . .  I remember Bizbook sounds a warning last year that the cost of buying a car will be going up, however, if you wanna buy a junk, that will not affect you.
The problem with Japan is another factor that has made the prices t go off the roof, but what could be done about it? Nothing.

So supply and demand is the key, and when most people are hanging on to their rides and aint selling, then, everyone is left to scramble for what is left.

Hope i am not just making noise but making sense.

Any more question? Let us have fun
[/b]

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by rastaman20(m): 7:44pm On Jul 08, 2011
this is a good thread , i am signing in, @Fhemmmy, what a good information you just dropped.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:18pm On Jul 08, 2011
@Fhemmmy, you truly know your business.  smiley

1: Yes a good Carfax report is important (so no accident or flood vehicles) . I am on my 3rd used car and i would like to get a car that i do not sell just because I have spent more money on repairs than I actually bought the car.  angry which is why I will continue to hate Nigerian Mechanics (Road-side and Dealerships)
2: I have seen this particular model with a good friend of mine and he bought it brand new in 2006 for N5.37M (company car) and has been using till date as we speak  (he has just driven home with it). It has just 58,000km over a 5yr+ period. He is not willing to sell but if he was it would go for N2M

If I am looking for such a spec with at least anywhere between 60,000km to 80,000km then I am sure it will still be going strong for another 2-3yrs [/b]and [b]going for between N1.7M to N2M. instead I am seeing far much older Accords 2004 going for N1.8M shocked Haba Dealers take am easy na

Yes the sad thing with Japan is US imports of used-newer models will be scarce but prices should not be crazy-high like I see on NL.
You do not have to search far, you will see 2-3 different NL ads for the Accord with higher than 100,000k mileage going nothing less than N2.5 even a Nigerian used is doing similar prices.

I think if Dealers are selling cars that have high mileage that can ordinarily affect its price if it was to be sold in the US, why not the same rule when selling to Naija peeps who have to contend with very high USD-Naira Exchange Rate, high import duties. Yes you must make a profit, that is why you are in business but there is a limit where it becomes plain shafting.  sad
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 8:36pm On Jul 08, 2011
rastaman20:

this is a good thread , i am signing in, @Fhemmmy, what a good information you just dropped.

Chief . . . Thanks for the great comment . . . Yet, remain humble.

lagerwhenindoubt:

@Fhemmmy, you truly know your business.  smiley

1: Yes a good Carfax report is important (so no accident or flood vehicles) . I am on my 3rd used car and i would like to get a car that i do not sell just because I have spent more money on repairs than I actually bought the car.  angry which is why I will continue to hate Nigerian Mechanics (Road-side and Dealerships)
2: I have seen this particular model with a good friend of mine and he bought it brand new in 2006 for N5.37M (company car) and has been using till date as we speak  (he has just driven home with it). It has just 58,000km over a 5yr+ period. He is not willing to sell but if he was it would go for N2M

If I am looking for such a spec with at least anywhere between 60,000km to 80,000km then I am sure it will still be going strong for another 2-3yrs [/b]and [b]going for between N1.7M to N2M. instead I am seeing far much older Accords 2004 going for N1.8M shocked Haba Dealers take am easy na

Yes the sad thing with Japan is US imports of used-newer models will be scarce but prices should not be crazy-high like I see on NL.
You do not have to search far, you will see 2-3 different NL ads for the Accord with higher than 100,000k mileage going nothing less than N2.5 even a Nigerian used is doing similar prices.

I think if Dealers are selling cars that have high mileage that can ordinarily affect its price if it was to be sold in the US, why not the same rule when selling to Naija peeps who have to contend with very high USD-Naira Exchange Rate, high import duties. Yes you must make a profit, that is why you are in business but there is a limit where it becomes plain shafting.  sad

Thanks for the great comment.
I do understand where you are coming from however, like you said, we have a govt that seems not to get it, a nation that produce nothing and yet discouraging people from buying those things out of the nation.
Until about a year ago or more, there was nothing like CTN, all of a sudden, we have a govt that just slapped the CTN Fee on every ride and that is another almost 300$$ extra money that we wont have to worry about before.

Here is the area where Nigerians needs to be educated . . . Just cos a ride comes with clean carfax report does not mean anything . . . . carfax report indicating a car has no accident could be a bogus piece of misinformation and the reason is because, accident report is made by the people, the mechanic, the police as well as the insurance company . . . .Now assume that Mr. A hit Mr. B's car but Mr. A and Mr. B had a deal and resolve the problem and Mr. A agrees to fix the ride of Mr. B without involving the cops, nor the insurance company.
Who would report that on the carfax report? No one.

A year down the line you buy such a ride and jumping for joy that it is a clean carfax and yet the dealer will sell to you at higher price cos it is deemed "Clean carfax" meanwhile it is not.

But a ride that has had a little impact on the side, never affected the frame, and has been been fixed and has been in use in America or Canada for the last few years again before you buy is not a bad thing at all and here is the reason:
1. Americans and Canadians only do replacements and paint - wont fix the metal like we do in Nigeria.
2. The ride after being fixed has to be tested and if not good, you cant drive it on the road, especially for salvage, for you to have it on the road must pass the ministry's test.
3. Insurance coy will have to insure it if still drive in Western world and mind you to invest their money on you, they will be sure it is aiight.

That is why i said, people need to be educated on the carfax, cos now even the pepper seller and the mama put for fufu is asking for carfax and they have no clue what it is all about.

Also, when it comes to mileage, i would buy a ride with 300K Miles used in America or Canada than a 50K Miles driven in Nigeria cos of the following':
1. Good road
2. Proper maintenance - every year or 2 you will have to do a test before renewing your stickers.

Compared to those death traps called roads in Nigeria . . . Mind you, i love my nation and i no go lie.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by shola75: 1:08am On Jul 09, 2011
What an interesting topic,  Fhemmmy already said it all with a great analysis. Nigerians desire to buy the best car for less, and unfurtunately things does not work that way. Good cars with low mileage are not cheap and cheap cars most of the time have "reasons" why they are cheap. It's very difficult to blame our people because most of them does not know what it entails at the auction, until they have the previledge to attend. Somebody like me offered to help a lot of people and i went as far as giving them my US dealer access to ADESA and MANHEIM auctions where i buy cars and gave them permission to bid for cars at their comfortable range and they were amazed at the prices of these vehicles at whole sale price.
My sincere advice to my fellow Nigerian car buyers is that people should buy the best car at their  price range, ie the best car within their budget.  Also, whenever anybody want to order vehicles from us the dealers, pls don't give us too much work to do by sending less money and you are asking for bigger car. The same person after the dealer have tried and could not get this vehicle will now send more money later to purchase the same vehicle. Be straight forward with us the dealer whenever  you are making orders and that will enable us to help you better. We dealer are ready to help.
In term of vehicle mileage and prices, it will depend on the source of the vehicle. Dealers fix prices according to the purchase price plus all other costs. Good luck to everyone on your vehicle search and if i can be of any help to anybody, pls feel free to contact me. My company put smiles to the faces of many families this year already and we are still going strong. God bless you all.
Covenant of Grace Motors
254-212-1307,  254-246-5470 or e-mail: solayinka96@gmail.com, covenantofgrace96@gmail.com.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Sicherheit(m): 1:14am On Jul 09, 2011
Great Analysis Fhemmmy!

@ Topic
There are certain cars that no matter how high the mileage, the price hardly takes a huge dip for a very long time. Cars like Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, BMW, their mileage could be clocking 200,000 and you can still find them for sale for five figure amount because of their perceived durability. When you compare those cars to others like Hyundai, Kia, Chevy, Ford etc. These cars lose almost half their value after the second year, despite their low mileage.

Also just quoting the distance from Lagos to Kaduna does not paint a clear a picture of what the has really being through. You have to put into consideration the condition of the roads the car traveling on, all the potholes causing you to swerve, break suddenly and when you can't avoid them, drive into causes more wear and tear. A 1000km road trip in yankee can never be compared to a 802km in Naija.

My friend's father will buy cars with high mileage as long as they are highway miles compared to low city stop and go miles because he believes highways are easier on the car's suspension, engine, breaks etc. Next time you are in stopping every ten seconds because of Lagos traffic, look at the cars around and ask yourself sincerely if you can buy those cars even if they are selling it for toro. undecided

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by princeonx: 5:40am On Jul 09, 2011
well said Fhemmmy and just to add on the mileage aspect, some people sometimes ask for low mileage just for asking sake. Like Fhemmmy clearly said, you can find a car with 300k miles here that still look, drive, and sound 10 times better than the same car with 100k miles in naija. Oil change are done every 3k miles here, Echeck every 2yrs, every year on some models, most people service their heat and change all 4 tires and brakes before every winter and in the Summer they do the same to their AC system. Worst of all is criminal people still role back mileage especially when the car is for export even though its against the law and carries up to 10yrs jail time in some states.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by femmy2010(m): 6:43am On Jul 09, 2011
This is a great thread an eye opener for many a buyers.
Bruva fhemmy's analysis is nothing but factual.
I wonder atimes when people ask of the VIN of a 3years 9ja used vehicle.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by lastpage: 2:36am On Jul 10, 2011
Very informative contributions from everyone, especially that "lecture" by fhemmy!

If l may add my piece, the thing about "high mileage" comes in when it goes far-far above average.
Like the Average is 15KMiles/year so, a 5yrs car should average75K miles but when it now clocks 120Kmiles, what does that tell you?

1.) Could have been a former Taxi. The rate of wear in taxi Engine is considered excessive due to the nature of what it does

2.) Could have been a Tour Vehicle (i typically avoid cars with a Tow-bar or signs of it at the back) since its not only carrying its "normal weight" but added to it, is the weight of the trailer it draws! This is an "Engine Killer", in the long run.

Strangely, for some queer reasons, Nigerians seem to like cars with the Tow-bar grin
Some guy told me it is helpful, incase you get hammered from behind and God help you, if you're the one hammering one from behind! shocked wink

Having said that, l guess one of the most important thing to look for is the "Service History" of the car you're buying.

A well serviced car, even with slightly higher mileage, all things being equal, is as good or even better than some bangas l have seen grin

Another 'argument' l want guys to wade into is the "age" of the vehicle.
I have personally inspected and seen 3yr old cars (like an 'O7) that looks and drives worse than a 7yr old ('03 reg).
Does it all boil down to "usage and proper and timely servicing" by the previous user(s)?

Single user in general, is better than 3 or 4 previous users, as l understand.

Cheers.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Olaisrich(m): 7:10am On Jul 10, 2011
hmm! very interersting! more of the Guru's lectures!
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 10, 2011
Nigerians are paying outrageous prices for tokunbo vehicles angry Imagine a five year old Honda with over 100,000km going for 2.5 million naira shocked shocked The equivalent of that will buy a brand new car in the US. KAI!!
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by sandee575(f): 7:39am On Jul 10, 2011
@ Fhemmy,
Impressive analysis
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 10, 2011
My mechanic once told me that mileage can be brought down by manipulation to deceive buyers. How about that?
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by mcgboye(m): 9:29am On Jul 10, 2011
Nice analyses @ y'all.
Maybe this is the reason outrageous prices have been quoted for Toyota Camry '99. Someone toled me N1.1m yday.
I just hope cost of clearing a car in Naija will reduce. It's a bottleneck
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by sandee575(f): 9:57am On Jul 10, 2011
Nigerian used cars are subjected to the harshest conditions possible. Bad roads, bad fuel,
bad driving, bad mechanic, bad oil. A days driving in Nigeria may be equivalent to a year's
driving in the US in terms of wear and tear on the car. embarassed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by jason2010(m): 10:45am On Jul 10, 2011
@ Fhemmy: My man, I appreciate the input, you laid it down big time. Naira to dollar is actually 161.50 to $1 as of Friday last week (and yet there is an oil boom o). Folks also need to understand that milage needs to be taken with a grain of salt. With 3,000 naira, I know folks that can change the millage on the dashboard of any car from 400,000 mile to 65,000 miles or whatever you want it to read. Thats why I am always laughing when people brag to me about thier low milage. Thus any argument telling me that a 300,000 miles car shipped from the US is inferior to a 15,000 miles car in 9ja is null and void, unless in the unlikely event one knows for a fact that the 15,000 miles on the dashboard of the car in 9ja is the actual milage (that is the milage aint been tampered with.

Thanks for the breakdown though
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 2:14pm On Jul 10, 2011
kalokalo:

Nigerians are paying outrageous prices for tokunbo vehicles angry Imagine a five year old Honda with over 100,000km going for 2.5 million naira shocked shocked The equivalent of that will buy a brand new car in the US. KAI!!

I am not disputing your statement, but i challenge you to show me the ride you could buy brand New in America . . . . .
I think it is time we raise the dust and let us deal with this issue once and for all . . . . . SHOW THE HOUSE the ride that you could buy for 2.5M Naira equivalent of 15527 $$ and please when you do, dont tell me about some Impala and Chevy junks, and that is cos you dont have to worry about shipping them to USA, cos they are made there.

Dont tell me about a car that you wont have to pay duty on them when they are coming into America, cos they are made there.

Let us compare apple to apple cos:

Nigeria does not manufacture, they import . . . . and you have to put into consideration that there are duties to be paid and shipping cost and cost of transferring the money.

So WE WILL be waiting.

Note: there are some brans new rides you could get for cheap too in Nigeria, just be willing to have your wife and kids in that ride and yet no air bags . . . .

Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by KunleA2(m): 2:48pm On Jul 10, 2011
kalokalo:

Make sure that your comparison is right before you jump into conclusion. A 2006/2007 Honda EX-L will still push you back over $10,000 (Clean title etc). That is already N1.63m. If you add roughly $1300 to ship and $300-$500 to transport to the port. $200 to transfer the $$$ to the US.
You are close to N1.9m before you clear. Clearing is around N300k. Making it N2.2m landing cost. Is it too much to make N300k on such a deal?

And God help you if you are taking a loan from the bank.

Alternative is to buy the same Honda at around 200k miles and roll it back to 100k and sell cheaper. Which is what most Nigerians want anyway. But a true 100k miles? You will pay.

Of course you can get cars cheaper for that in the US. But they have to be something like Kia Rio, Chevy Aveo, Hyundai Accent etc.

I am just waiting for you to tell me that those cars are in the same caliber as an Accord. A brand new EX-L will be around $23,000. TEAR RUBBER!

You do the math!
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by baron2000(m): 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2011
with all these calculations flying about, how come we still see some tokunbo 2006 Honda Accord for less than 2M? It defies reasoning. Please Phemmy explain. Thanks.

for example , https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-695436.0.html
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by jason2010(m): 7:11pm On Jul 10, 2011
@ Baron2000: My brother there are two possible reasons why you are getting the car under 2M. The first reason is that the car was definitely accidented or it is was a flood vehicle that was purchase at insurance auctions or accidented car auction (meaning that they got it too damn cheap)

The other reason is that the owner may have decided to take a loss an just do away with the car. For instance last August, I was in dire straits for some cash, so I sold a 2001 Camry for 900,000. Now I took a loss on that car (if you doubt ask some of the fellas on this tread that know what they are talking about) because I bought that car in Chicago for $5000.  That does not mean that the going rate for a 01 camry is 900K, does it?
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by bfire(m): 7:46pm On Jul 10, 2011
@Baron 2000:

Actually it's very hard to answer for the seller.

These might be a likely scenarios:

1. the seller needs money- he has not even accepted the 1.8m offer.

2. he bought the car as salvage - which means lesser price compared to non-salvage.

3. the car had an impact (body-damage) which was repaired - of little consequences if it drives good for body parts do not drive a car.

As many contributors rightly said, there are compelling factors that determine the price of a car. Most of these contributors have first line information and are involve in auction process and therefore know what they are saying.

The problem however, is that we Nigerians liked to be deceived; somehow i find that disturbing and would not do it under any circumstances. How do you explain someone looking to get a toks for like 500,000 Naira when money for duty and shipping alone is almost that amount if it's a small car and older model (specifically America Spec).

In terms of buying a car with higher mileage or not depends on various factors such as: is the car highway mileage or street mileage; what's the service records history.

In North America, there are two speedo meter available. In Canada its Kilometer (100,000Km = 62,112 Miles for USA). The average car usage is 15k mile/25k km per yr in USA/Canada respectively.

Take for example a 2006/2007 Accord:

Non accident                            Accident or otherwise

Costs                      $10,000                                      $6,500
Towing                          300                                           300
Shipping                     1,350                                        1,350
Fixing/detailing              200                                        2,000

Total:                    $11,850                                       $10,150

Then add clearing cost of 350,000 to each car after multiply by the prevailing rates of naira/dollar.

If anyone wants to sell for you for 1.6m naira, please ask questions, if it is tokunbo.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 8:15pm On Jul 10, 2011
baron2000:

with all these calculations flying about, how come we still see some tokunbo 2006 Honda Accord for less than 2M? It defies reasoning. Please Phemmy explain. Thanks.

for example , https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-695436.0.html

[b]Thanks for the opportunity to explain this.
First of all, price of used rides in America and Canada has gone up considerably over the last year and that has been cos of few things:
1. Cost of Dollar to Naira keep going up.
2. The problem of Japan has rocked the auto world.

I have sold a 2008 Camry on this forum for 2.5M naira bofore, and today, if you get for 2.8M Naira, jump up.

Now how come you can still get some cheap ones?
1. At Fhemmmy Motos, when we buy cheap, we sell cheap, while when we buy expensive we sell expensive, so if you are wiling to get something that has been involved in an accident or high mileage, it might be possible on a good day, but please note my word "MIGHT"

2. the ride that is being sold to you could be stole or an insurance fraud ride from either America or even from Canada.

3. The seller might be desperate for cash and have to get rid of it . . . I have done same before, cos i needed the money to do some things in Nigeria and had to get rid of a ride fast.

So many reason could attribute to that, and not necessarily reflect the true cost of the ride in the market.[/b]
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2011
Fhemmmy:

I am not disputing your statement, but i challenge you to show me the ride you could buy brand New in America . . . . .
I think it is time we raise the dust and let us deal with this issue once and for all . . . . . SHOW THE HOUSE the ride that you could buy for 2.5M Naira equivalent of 15527 $$ and please when you do, dont tell me about some Impala and Chevy junks, and that is cos you dont have to worry about shipping them to USA, cos they are made there.

Dont tell me about a car that you wont have to pay duty on them when  they are coming into America, cos they are made there.

Let us compare apple to apple cos:

Nigeria does not manufacture, they import . . . . and you have to put into consideration that there are duties to be paid and shipping cost and cost of transferring the money.

So WE WILL be waiting.

Note: there are some brans new rides you could get for cheap too in Nigeria, just be willing to have your wife and kids in that ride and yet no air bags . . . .

You can buy a brand new Hyundai or Kia midsize for that price if you negotiate well with your dealer. For the same price, you can get a certified preowned midsize vehicle that is 3 years old or less with less than 36000 miles from brands like Toyota and Honda.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 1:42am On Jul 11, 2011
kalokalo:

You can buy a brand new Hyundai or Kia midsize for that price if you negotiate well with your dealer. For the same price, you can get a certified preowned midsize vehicle that is 3 years old or less with less than 36000 miles from brands like Toyota and Honda.

Show me one, Sir
I dont want us to generalize . . point me to a link where you can get a brand new Kia or Hyundai, please make sure you have calculated all extra cost with it already.
Dont forget the taxes
Dont forget the delivery cost
Dont forget the dealer's fee.
So once again, we are waiting for you to tell us the exact ride you can buy brand new that is not made in America and you will have to pay for duties and other expenses and you will have to pay just 15527$$ delivered?

By the way, i never said we cant deliver a 2006 Accord for less than 2.5M Naira . . . but i just want us to reason together.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Nobody: 4:58am On Jul 11, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Show me one, Sir
I dont want us to generalize . .  point me to a link where you can get a brand new Kia or Hyundai, please make sure you have calculated all extra cost with it already.
Dont forget the taxes
Dont forget the delivery cost
Dont forget the dealer's fee.
So once again, we are waiting for you to tell us the exact ride you can buy brand new that is not made in America and you will have to pay for duties and other expenses and you will have to pay just 15527$$ delivered?

By the way, i never said we cant deliver a 2006 Accord for less than 2.5M Naira . . . but i just want us to reason together.

Well, this comes exclusive of all the fees you mentioned and may include manufacturer incentives. So in a sense, you are right. However see the link below as an example but this is for a small size vehicle:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Elantra/
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by fizzybaba(m): 10:04am On Jul 11, 2011
nice thread
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 11, 2011
[size=15pt]My question now is, which is more important? Mileage or Use (accidented or not)

I think a well used and maintained car with lots of mileage is still way better than a badly used and maintained car with low mileage,
What do you guys think?[/size]
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by sley4life(m): 12:25pm On Jul 11, 2011
imp. It helps to determine the longevity of the vehicle. At least cars that have less mileage would have long span
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 12:58pm On Jul 11, 2011
kalokalo:

Well, this comes exclusive of all the fees you mentioned and may include manufacturer incentives. So in a sense, you are right. However see the link below as an example but this is for a small size vehicle:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Elantra/

Yes, that is what we are talking about.

Now let us take that Elantra 2011 model the base model as an example . . . . . . .When you buy same and wanna export it to Nigeria, you would pay average of 1M Naira (even more, cos it is brand new)

And you will still have to add Shipping cost and all other charges.

Meanwhile, some dealers are selling that brand new in Nigeria way cheaper, but you need to compare what they selling, they are nothing but stripped version with no airbags.

Conclussion: Our govt could help by making things easy, and reduce the clearing cost, reduce the touts at the ports . . . even with all the money collected for clearing, the ports are still papered ports . . . . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? / PAN Nigeria Higer Bus Bags Best New Auto Entrant Commercial Award / Watch A Magna Tweaked Tesla Model S With 3 Motors Drift On Snow & Wet pavement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.