Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,027 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? (11279 Views)

Toyota Sienna 10 Pin Gear Not Working In Reverse But Works In Drive / Having Gear Problems On Your 10 Pin Gear? / Small Crank Sound When I Move Gear From Park To Reverse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Freshlook46: 6:01am On Feb 20, 2021
I have a 06 Toyota Sienna 13 pin with a bad transmission. A mechanic told me the 13 pin gear can be converted to 10 pin because 10 pin gear is more reliable and even cheaper. He said the 13 pin gear is very problematic on Toyota Sienna. I want to know if I should buy the 10 pin gear or go ahead and buy the factory follow come 13 pin. Please advice.. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by nurey(m): 12:56pm On Feb 20, 2021
Freshlook46:
I have a 06 Toyota Sienna 13 pin with a bad transmission. A mechanic told me the 13 pin gear can be converted to 10 pin because 10 pin gear is more reliable and even cheaper. He said the 13 pin gear is very problematic on Toyota Sienna. I want to know if I should buy the 10 pin gear or go ahead and buy the factory follow come 13 pin. Please advice.. Thank you.

10pin would end in tears

13pin would be expensive but would be perfect

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Freshlook46: 4:38pm On Feb 20, 2021
Really? I don't know why the 13 pin is sensitive. My transmission was good and working perfectly until a mechanic worked on the shaft. I was driving home that day from his work place my car refused to move and the next thing I heard was loud noise from the gear that was how it spoiled. I will buy the 13 pin gear as you said .. thank you

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by aieromon(m): 8:28pm On Feb 20, 2021
Freshlook46:
Really? I don't know why the 13 pin is sensitive. My transmission was good and working perfectly until a mechanic worked on the shaft. I was driving home that day from his work place my car refused to move and the next thing I heard was loud noise from the gear that was how it spoiled. I will buy the 13 pin gear as you said .. thank you

Car transmission is supposed to cool down before any work can be done. I'm afraid your mechanic has a hand in the death of the transmission.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Mrford(m): 12:30am On Feb 21, 2021
Freshlook46:

Don't do it. your car will never remain the same again..
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by OPUSDEI1(m): 9:25am On Feb 21, 2021
aieromon:

Car transmission is supposed to cool down before any work can be done. I'm afraid your mechanic has a hand in the death of the transmission.

Dirt was introduced into the transmission while replacing the shaft.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Cryomancer: 7:07pm On Feb 21, 2021
Freshlook46:

I'm sure the mechanic that told you this did not tell you that your car won't be able to go above some certain gear and you'll be hearing some rattling noise from your transmission when driving.

My brother please don't try it Sir because you'll hate the vehicle experience and it will also end in tears. 13pin is a bit expensive but just save up and buy it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by candygebs: 3:16am On Feb 22, 2021
U said it all. I am in this boat now, and thinking of how to buy 13pin

Cryomancer:

I'm sure the mechanic that told you this did not tell you that your car won't be able to go above some certain gear and you'll be hearing some rattling noise from your transmission when driving.

My brother please don't try it Sir because you'll hate the vehicle experience and it will also end in tears. 13pin is a bit expensive but just save up and buy it.
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by diportivo: 7:48am On Feb 22, 2021
aieromon:

if u like,freeze it before working on it

Once dirt is introduced,that is the beginning of the end of the trans

all these cool down or no cool down na fallacy

nowadays its rare for a kazeem to work on 13pin without parking it overnight.......and gear go still spoil

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by candygebs: 8:42am On Feb 22, 2021
Where is your location
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Cryomancer: 12:03pm On Feb 22, 2021
candygebs:

U said it all. I am in this boat now, and thinking of how to buy 13pin

Eyaah.... I feel your pain Sir.

Kazeems these days are just evil with their advices. If you don't follow due diligence and patronize trusted mechanics, you will end up paying for the stupidity of the Kazeem's advice.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by dicksonadams(m): 4:40pm On Feb 22, 2021
Use gazzuzz for this job, thank me later

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Kazy31: 4:42pm On Feb 22, 2021
Please don’t convert to 10pin.reason.your engine will work more and this will kill your engine fast. Your check engine light will never go away again. You will feel or notice your car jerk whenever is shift gears and this will damage your engine mounting and sitting fast.10pin is not as fast as a13pin so this can cause your engine to drag and it really bad for car.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by nosiebaba(m): 7:50am On Feb 25, 2021
Freshlook46:
Stick with your 13 pin, I know some one that did this conversion and the vehicle didn't last two days.. He had to sell the car at last.
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Freshlook46: 7:15pm On Mar 04, 2021
Thank you all my brothers. I'm saving money for the 13 pin. I spoke with the dealer and he said it's 350k for the 13 pin, I will get it soon. God bless.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by naijadrivablog: 8:28pm On Mar 04, 2021
10pin on a Van made with 13-pins?

Be ready for tears.

E fit no de run well.

I boarded a Sienna some time ago to the East and the van wouldn't move well on a hilly road, except when the road is level or descending a hill.

I asked the driver what was wrong and he told me they converted the Sienna from 13-pin to 10-pin.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by AutoMoTech(m): 8:48pm On Mar 04, 2021
Freshlook46:
Thank you all my brothers. I'm saving money for the 13 pin. I spoke with the dealer and he said it's 350k for the 13 pin, I will get it soon. God bless.

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION. PLEASE ENSURE THE MECHANIC FIXING THE GEAR TAKES EXTREME PRECAUTIONS AND IS VERY CLEAN. LIKE STATED, INTRODUCING DIRT INTO THE SYSTEM WILL KILL IT FASTER THAN ANYTHING.

@AUTOMOTECH

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Freshlook46: 12:20pm On Mar 06, 2021
I will... Thank you, and remain blessed.
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by babakon: 10:39pm On Oct 28, 2021
Guy dey manage your 10 pin ooo....all these grammar them dey blow for u here just to scare u I wonder what they want 2 achieve.
13 pin is usually problematic. My friend replaced his knocked 13 pin gear with another same 13 pin....not up to three weeks it's already given him problem finally he has opted for a 10 pin. Now listen, with proper wiring the only gear that will be missed is the 5th gear which I don't think u will need all d time, na for where u wan fly go.....these our useless bad roads? So plz as long as u have a healthy 10 pin that shifts seamlessly from 1 -2-3- 4 my brother u are good ooo. Am not saying 13 pin is not desirable or is bad what am saying is 10pin on a 13 pin gear engine is equally not bad it d rewire do a good job. Biko na grand Prix race u dey run?

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Dozieson(m): 5:15am On Oct 29, 2021
babakon:
Guy dey manage your 10 pin ooo....all these grammar them dey blow for u here just to scare u I wonder what they want 2 achieve.
13 pin is usually problematic. My friend replaced his knocked 13 pin gear with another same 13 pin....not up to three weeks it's already given him problem finally he has opted for a 10 pin. Now listen, with proper wiring the only gear that will be missed is the 5th gear which I don't think u will need all d time, na for where u wan fly go.....these our useless bad roads? So plz as long as u have a healthy 10 pin that shifts seamlessly from 1 -2-3- 4 my brother u are good ooo. Am not saying 13 pin is not desirable or is bad what am saying is 10pin on a 13 pin gear engine is equally not bad it d rewire do a good job. Biko na grand Prix race u dey run?

most convertion from13 to 10 pin will always affect gear 2-3. The noise and jerk no be here o. I went to inspect a Camry 2008 car for a friend and notice the gear was changed from 13-10 pin. Omo I carry my guy japa

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Brooks5: 10:27am On Dec 04, 2021
Dozieson:

most convertion from13 to 10 pin will always affect gear 2-3. The noise and jerk no be here o. I went to inspect a Camry 2008 car for a friend and notice the gear was changed from 13-10 pin. Omo I carry my guy japa

Dozieson, is it possible for you to cone to my aid: I just have my gearbox changed recently it's behaving funny. How do I know if 10 pin gearbox was installed instead of the 13 pin?
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by melviniyke2002(m): 12:01pm On Dec 04, 2021
Brooks5:

Dozieson, is it possible for you to cone to my aid: I just have my gearbox changed recently it's behaving funny. How do I know if 10 pin gearbox was installed instead of the 13 pin?
which car n yr
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Brooks5: 12:45pm On Dec 04, 2021
melviniyke2002:
which car n yr

2007 Toyota Sienna XLE
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Dozieson(m): 2:57pm On Dec 04, 2021
Brooks5:

2007 Toyota Sienna XLE

How much did you buy the gear?
Did they tell you wether it is 13 or 10pin?

How is the movement?
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Brooks5: 7:22pm On Dec 04, 2021
Dozieson:

How much did you buy the gear?
Did they tell you wether it is 13 or 10pin?

How is the movement?

I paid N350K and was told it's a 13 pin gear but my check engine light won't go off after installation and the gear always has a revving sound when am accelerating and does hard shifting especially when I downshift. I became afraid when someone told me that they can buy a 10 pin gear and convert it.

How do I know if it is a 10 or 13 pin gear?
Also, are you in Abuja?
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Dozieson(m): 8:04pm On Dec 04, 2021
Brooks5:

I paid N350K and was told it's a 13 pin gear but my check engine light won't go off after installation and the gear always has a revving sound when am accelerating and does hard shifting especially when I downshift. I became afraid when someone told me that they can buy a 10 pin gear and convert it.

How do I know if it is a 10 or 13 pin gear?
Also, are you in Abuja?

Also, share the code

Did they do any electrical wiring? Did you buy any new TCM/brain box?

Are they the ones that Installed it for you?

The way it works is that the seller will install the gear box and give your one week guarantee of excellent performance. If you are not satisfied, then return it
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Brooks5: 8:15pm On Dec 04, 2021
Dozieson:

Also, share the code

Did they do any electrical wiring? Did you buy any new TCM/brain box?

Are they the ones that Installed it for you?

The way it works is that the seller will install the gear box and give your one week guarantee of excellent performance. If you are not satisfied, then return it

The check engine light is on but is not showing any code on the scanner.

They didn't do any serious rewiring that I'm aware of... Just cut the connector and fixed it to the car.

Yes, they installed it themselves last Wednesday.

Okay. I think I'll go with the return option... Can I call you? 67221773

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Dozieson(m): 8:46pm On Dec 04, 2021
Brooks5:

The check engine light is on but is not showing any code on the scanner.

They didn't do any serious rewiring that I'm aware of... Just cut the connector and fixed it to the car.

Yes, they installed it themselves last Wednesday.

Okay. I think I'll go with the return option... Can I call you? 67221773

Better return it before the one week elapse.
You can call me though I am not a mechanic
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by sonety2k(m): 2:25am On Dec 05, 2021
Following
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Brooks5: 8:50am On Dec 05, 2021
Dozieson:

Better return it before the one week elapse.
You can call me though I am not a mechanic

Okay. Do you have or know any good mechanic that can handle this for me?

Not ate not seek seben too too won seben seben tree
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by Dozieson(m): 11:28am On Dec 05, 2021
Brooks5:

Are you in Lagos?

There is one iykecollins a gear and engine dealer here on nairaland that can help you

See link below

https://www.nairaland.com/6571388/direct-tokunbo-engines-gearboxes
Re: How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? by MARKone(m): 1:53pm On Dec 05, 2021
Brooks5:

Sorry, I had to laugh, had a brain freeze reading this, till I realised it was your phone number....seben seben grin

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Kind Of Car Can One Get For, Say, 250-300k / End Of An Era? Volkswagen To Stop Production Of Beetle Cars / Interpretation Of Obdii Scan Results And Related Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.