Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,776 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

I Need An African American Friend - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Need An African American Friend (1899 Views)

Eight Bad Sides Of An African Man You Probably Don't Know / I Hate Being An African American Woman / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need An African American Friend by solbil: 3:02pm On Jul 08, 2011
i have come to understand that we sometimes do have afro americans in this site
i just need an afro american friend
there are things i would like to know about them and i want to hear from them
Re: I Need An African American Friend by Booshman(m): 4:25am On Jul 09, 2011
I'm African American. What's up? smiley
Re: I Need An African American Friend by Emmyk(m): 2:12pm On Jul 09, 2011
Booshman:

I'm African American. What's up? smiley
but u got a white man's picture on ur profile. Haha
Re: I Need An African American Friend by DaRapture: 6:09pm On Jul 09, 2011
What do you want to know? As most people on here can testify to, I'm the most qualified on this site to answer any questions about my glorious people.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by Booshman(m): 9:28pm On Jul 09, 2011
Emmyk:

but u got a white man's picture on your profile. Haha

It was a joke, but the person in the picture isn't "technically" white?
Re: I Need An African American Friend by solbil: 4:11pm On Jul 23, 2011
i watch hard time on nat geo and the only people i see in prison (most people)
are african americans and i begin to wonder why. is it that they commit crime more often than other people? if so , why?
i also heard on the bbc the other time that the average afro american lives 5 times less than the
average white american. i wonder why it is like that especially when you consider the fact that america is a land of equal opportunities for every one.
at this side of the ocean , if you hear ''afro american" the first thing that comes to mind is hip hop or sports and i begin to wonder, is it that there are no afro american professionals?
Re: I Need An African American Friend by pleep(m): 3:39am On Jul 24, 2011
^ oh great another A.A bashing thread.  undecided

OP, Please dont bring this up again, just search for all the other topics that covered the same subject and see where they went.
I also suggest you go to the U.S and see for yourself, & dont belive all u see on T.V

Just delete this thread. . . thats the best move. Because in a few hours the 3 musketeers will arrive and an all out war will ensue. . . ppl in glass houses shoulnt throw stones my friend.  wink
Re: I Need An African American Friend by kony1(m): 8:28am On Jul 24, 2011
solbil:

are african americans and i begin to wonder why. is it that they commit crime more often than other people? if so , why?
i also heard on the bbc the other time that the average afro american lives 5 times less than the
average white american. i wonder why it is like that especially when you consider the fact that america is a land of equal opportunities for every one.
at this side of the ocean , if you hear ''afro american" the first thing that comes to mind is hip hop or sports and i begin to wonder, is it that there are no afro american professionals?

The correct term is black american. Im a Black american and i'll be happy to bite this question

1. Its hilarious that an african would bring up national geographic as a source of information for BA's, Ima let that one settle in lol

2. America is the land of equal opportunities because blacks made it that way. America pre civil rights was like a tame version of nazi germany

3.The most annoying thing is that, blacks in positions of power in america(politics,science,influence,social-etc) are mostly black americans
Re: I Need An African American Friend by ADM1(m): 1:55pm On Jul 24, 2011
solbil:

What a dumb comment. The fact that you would use a show as a starting point for wanting to know about peoples and cultures is $tupid. And yes, there are lots of Afro-Americans in positions of power at companies. Google "Afro-American CEOs" and stop looking to the media for a vantage point. Now, look what you did. One of the three amigos is now here and probably wants a fight. Congratulations, slowpoke.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by solbil: 6:28pm On Jul 25, 2011
i am very sorry if i offended you that wasn't my intention.
the truth is for all of us who have never been to the us, the only way we can get to know
people is through the media. and because i know it could be misleading at times is why i
have decided to come on here to ask you yourselves and those who know better
so that i can get a fairer picture of the reality.

i want you not to think that i am trying to bash you, no!
i simply want to know better.
i think you would commend me for not making up my mind on something after hearing only one side of the story

the fact that i said i want a black american (since that is what you want me to call you) friend
shows that i do not mean any harm.[/b]
Re: I Need An African American Friend by pleep(m): 6:48pm On Jul 25, 2011
^ the thing about the media is that it generally paints ppl of african decent in a bad light.

Here in the u.s they portray us nigerians as patholgocal scammers. And portray Africa as a rural aids infested war zone.
I'm not saying there is no truth in their programs but they will show one sided negativity and never temper it out with positive images.

As you know in every group of ppl there are good and bad. But when that group is black you will generally be shown 90% of the bad and 10% of the good. wink
Re: I Need An African American Friend by ima1(f): 6:24am On Jul 26, 2011
I do believe they have jails in africa filled with africans, just like they have jails over here filled with whites, blacks, hispanics and a whole variety of people, so what you asking don't make a licka sense to me.

Don't believe all you see on tv, cuz there will be no news if people actually broadcast the truth.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by solbil: 7:16pm On Aug 01, 2011
I do believe they have jails in africa filled with africans, just like they have jails over here filled with whites, blacks, hispanics and a whole variety of people, so what you asking don't make a licka sense to me.

Don't believe all you see on tv, cuz there will be no news if people actually broadcast the truth.

i am very sorry if i offended you. i am not posting to attack any one. i just want to know better.
i dont think africans are as bad as they are made out to be in the foreign media becos i see so many african medics,
engineers and all kind of professionals. i am asking this question becos we, here, hardly know you. the only way we get to see you is with the help of the media. any time black americans are been shown on tv, it is always in connection with hip hop(mtv) or prison(nat geo). you need to be here to know what exactly i am talking about.
but i believe you people are good people.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by kony1(m): 8:17am On Aug 03, 2011
solbil:

i am very sorry if i offended you. i am not posting to attack any one. i just want to know better.
i dont think africans are as bad as they are made out to be in the foreign media becos i see so many african medics,
engineers and all kind of professionals. i am asking this question becos we, here, hardly know you. the only way we get to see you is with the help of the media. any time black americans are been shown on tv, it is always in connection with hip hop(mtv) or prison(nat geo). you need to be here to know what exactly i am talking about.

your full of it

U see plenty of black americans as host or hostess of shows,headlining events,starring in movies, on the cover of magazines etc
Re: I Need An African American Friend by Anonn1(f): 8:44pm On Aug 07, 2011
Wow so are we AA as you call us to believe EVERYTHING we see on Tv about Africans because the same natgeo as you put it also doesn't make Africans look any better than AA there is much to learn about both of these cultures but at the same time notice you NEVER see white people no matter where they are they are NEVER comparing differences in eachother here in the US racism is alive and well on both ends but Africans and AA are still simply seen as BLACKS to other non black people so please pass us by with this BS.You were and you did mean to be negative so don't apologize for it.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by solbil: 6:13pm On Aug 08, 2011
Wow so are we AA as you call us to believe EVERYTHING we see on Tv about Africans because the same natgeo as you put it also doesn't make Africans look any better than AA there is much to learn about both of these cultures but at the same time notice you NEVER see white people no matter they are they are NEVER comparing differences in eachother here in the US racism is alive and well on both ends but Africans and AA are still simply seen as BLACKS to other non black people so please pass us by with this BS.You were and you did mean to be negative so don't apologize for it.

its like you have listened so much to many africans say something bad about you
and so you do not believe there are other ones who feel differently. that is the reason why even though i, over and over again, said i did not mean any harm , you still believe i do.

tell me, how can i feel bad about some one i have never met?
it is not possible to hate any one you have never met.

the other time so many black american entertainers came to naija to perform, i saw them and i was really happy. i am not telling you this so that you can believe. i am saying this because it is true. i dont know why but i just feel good about you.

there is a book i am reading currently and its about you and your struggles in the 60s.
and i must say that i admire your courage, resilience and strength.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by DaRapture: 10:57pm On Aug 13, 2011
The British news just told me that all of you Afro-British are a bunch of violent crooks, who cause all kinds of murder, havoc in the UK and are always on the prow looking for the slightest importunity to riot, steal, and cause mayhem as the current riots have just shown to be true. I think I believe them. Because the majority of those I've seen running around going Ape shit were black, and as you've assumed in reference to AA in the US, I'm just going to have to believe them since I'm not from the UK.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by ADM1(m): 3:59am On Aug 14, 2011
DaRapture, shut the bleep up. A whole lot of the rioters in England were white, not just black and Asian. And you fail at sarcasm, if that's what you were trying to do. Just shut up.

Solbil, I don't think you meant any harm. Just be careful in choosing your words and be careful of idiots like DaRapture and kony.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by ima1(f): 5:38am On Aug 14, 2011
solbil:

Nope you did not offend me, if only you can read what you wrote and see it in reverse, you don't think Africans are as bad the way they are portrayed on tv, yet you think African Americans are bad because of what you see on tv. there are African American Doctors, Lawyers and all kinda professionals too, so what you see on tv is the same as seeing Africans in prison.
I gotta come to the conclusion that you don't know what you are talking about or you prolly need to change the channel on your tv. I come from both worlds and so i honestly don't know where you come up with stuff like this.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by solbil: 7:23pm On Aug 17, 2011
you don't think Africans are as bad the way they are portrayed on tv, yet you think African Americans are bad because of what you see on tv

my dear, i did not take what i saw on tv.
if you go back to one of my posts, you would see place where i said there are two sides to a story and it will not be fair if you listen to only one side and then jump to conclusion. this is why i have come here to ask you yourselves and those who have been with you over there in your country who know better.
i admit i made the wrong choice of words in expressing myself in my first post.
but believe me i have nothing against you
i am disappointed at the way this thread is going and i would like to stop replying if it continues this way
Re: I Need An African American Friend by DaRapture: 7:15pm On Aug 18, 2011
solbil:

my dear, i did not take what i saw on tv.
if you go back to one of my posts, you would see place where i said there are two sides to a story and it will not be fair if you listen to only one side and then jump to conclusion. this is why i have come here to ask you yourselves and those who have been with you over there in your country who know better.
i admit i made the wrong choice of words in expressing myself in my first post.
but believe me i have nothing against you
i am disappointed at the way this thread is going and i would like to stop replying if it continues this way

Dude, give it up already, you've failed miserably with this idiotic slanderous attempt. Drag your asz on to the next attempt already, your beating a dead horse here on this slop of a thread.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by EEngineer1(m): 12:45pm On Sep 12, 2011
i know african americans are portrayed in a bad light on tv and i definitely dont want to believe all that crap

since we have AA's on this thread,
can u folks do us the favor of giving us the real truth about you guys, the whole story u know like the 60% good stuff and the 40% bad stuff

i also heard that what was shown on CNN about hurricane katrina was a big sham can u folks enlighten us on the truth
Re: I Need An African American Friend by Booshman(m): 10:34am On Sep 13, 2011
E-Engineer:

i know african americans are portrayed in a bad light on tv and i definitely dont want to believe all that crap

since we have AA's on this thread,
can u folks do us the favor of giving us the real truth about you guys, the whole story u know like the 60% good stuff and the 40% bad stuff

i also heard that what was shown on CNN about hurricane katrina was a big sham can u folks enlighten us on the truth

I'm African American and I'd be glad to give you a dose of the truth about us. Oh boy. Where to begin?

First of all, you have NO idea just how evil whites have been in America. They promote this false image of being benevolent to the rest of the world, but it couldn't be further from the truth. Hurricane Katrina was a perfect example. They constantly lied about black folks being violent during the flood, and it turned out to be a massive lie. But not once did they apologize for making black Americans look like savages. On top of that, when black folks were fleeing the flood and the storm, they had racist whites in the neighboring town standing at their border, who were shooting and killing innocent blacks that tried to find safe refuge there. But as usual, the white news media was dead silent about that. Even today, you won't find a news story about that unless you do some serious searching on the internet. I could write a book on the truth about American whites, their double standards, and their evils. But I won't want you to be reading for the rest of your life.
Re: I Need An African American Friend by marcmuzman: 12:56pm On Sep 17, 2011
I'm Black American too, I beg to differ to generalize our race/nationality,

If we ( Black Americans) generalize what we see in our society of Africans (of any kind) then we could say that Africans are : Illegal Immigrants, Hair Braiders, Delivery boys, Chefs, Nannies, 419'ers, ignorant college students who never bathe that live with 10 people shacked up in a studio apartment.Also the type of people are confused with they own identity ( why you have a market for bleaching and lightening cream) And most of all the type of people who trying to make the most with the horrible least.

But most of us don't at all, It's a shame that most of the time I hear Africans get arrogant when they say " Back at home, I've had , " and I look at them and reply back saying " Then if life was so grand and glorious then why are you here and why are you talking to me since you think my people are pathetic",

At the end of the day don't generalize a race of people, Every race of people have a good, bad and medicore bunch,

To answer your question about Black people only being entertainers and athletes , you are wrong most of the stuff you use in your daily life were invented by a African American and we do have a extensive history of great accomplishments like Africans , Check out this link please:

http://www.blackpast.org/?q=african-american-history-timeline-home-page

YOU SHOULD READ THE WHOLE TIMELINE , IT WOULD CHANGE YOUR VIEW OF US ALONE !![font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#006600][/color]

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Here I Come / A Nigerian Man With 18 Accent / American Land, 'igbo' Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.