Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,905 members, 7,810,483 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

A Photo Thread Of My Relocation - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Photo Thread Of My Relocation (49873 Views)

Pls How Do I Process My Relocation To Canada By Myself And Not By Agent / A Thread Of A Trip To Gooonu Banana The Haunted House / Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 5:10am On Apr 27, 2022
Sanchez01:

Not sure if this is necessary but I recall making this post in 2020 and was sure I'd leave the following year, which was 2021. Well, for good reasons, it didn't happen.

The long and short of it is that I am leaving permantly to Salt Lake City, Utah, exactly a week from now. I hope to document the journey somehow. I wouldn't say I am excited and I wouldn't say I am not. To be fair, I'm indifferent, at least for now, largely as a result of a funny mistake I made while booking my flight ticket. Finger's crossed.

First, I am not a picture person so this is a whole lot of challenge taking pictures at every turn.

Anyways, Richdee1, here is a mention as promised.

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 5:16am On Apr 27, 2022
The long and short of it is that I am in Turkey right now for my first. The next is in New York before finally moving to Salt Lake City, in Utah. In total, the travel time is 56 hours, which was the main reason for bemoaning the "mistake" I made while booking. Wifey thought booking a longer flight hour means an experience that is worth it. As a first time international traveller, I am fast learning the implication of having stopovers that are longer than the flight time themselves.

101 Likes 10 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 5:17am On Apr 27, 2022
So we stayed about 13 hours in Turkey before our connecting flight to JFK. To be sincere, I tried applying for a transit visa before leaving Nigeria since I read Turkey no longer issue visa on transit and that one would need to apply ahead before arrival. I didn't even bother.

Cost was a factor somehow as I had already booked Airbnb of $42/night for 28 days pending when accommodation is sorted. A couple of the apartments we saw from Nigeria wanted security deposit of either twice the rent or exactly the rent and other ridiculous charges which the Nigerian in me won't allow.

Anyways, knowing a transit visa and transportation cost around Turkey would demand money, we chose sleep pods instead and they cost €8/hour, spent roughly three hours before getting one stale spaghetti (two servings and two chicken fillets with salad primarily consisting of tomatoes and one diced wara + water for hundreds of Lira crywhich was approximately $40 per person).

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 5:17am On Apr 27, 2022
A bit about the Turkish Airport, the architecture is insane and almost unbelievable. A downside about the airport is the availability of WiFi which is only available to travellers for free for one hour. They have WiFi stands scattered across the airport. All you just need to do is swipe your international passport on the machine and a WiFi password will be generated. An alternative is also using your MTN line to browse for free for one hour using the mobile login option on the Internet login page after connecting. You only need the OTP sent to your phone and that's it. Airtel failed to send OTPs both on my device and my wife's even after several retries.

A tiny fraction of the Turkish airport architecture captured below

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 5:18am On Apr 27, 2022
*Scratches head.* The pictures look great and super sharp on my phone but for weird reasons, they become blurry when I upload them.

20 Likes

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 5:22am On Apr 27, 2022
In total, flight time from Turkey to JFK, New York was 10 hours via Turkish Airlines. For a Nigerian, I suffered because the choices of food weren't so good. First was "herbed yogurt and supposedly rice white minced beef and stuffed eggplant or aubergine" with another round of tomatoes salad and white cheese with some funny vegetable that gave me an instant OBE when I tried it cry. Iya yii po.

The second was fair; Zucchini Pasta with tomato sauce, which almost everyone on the plan requested, including myself. The vegetables were basically the same for both menus. About 15 Turks and Americans combined lined up before the lavatory after eating. Yours truly joined the queue cry

Immigration experience at JFK was almost unbelievable. We were attended to in less than one minute and queue time was about 6 minutes maximum.

We connected to the JFK WiFi immediately we landed and it didn't require your passport to use it. It is not passworded and connection is instant. In the space of about 15 minutes spent at the airport, I did about 40 GB download. The speed was insane.

Finding our luggage was easy and simple and it costs $6 to use cart. The process is automated as opposed to the N500 experience at the MMIA and ticket you would get after.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by illicit(m): 5:34am On Apr 27, 2022
U are doing well

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 5:38am On Apr 27, 2022
So this is hilarious and would make it as funny as possible.

We were directed to take a different exit route if we intend using a taxi so we moved our cart to the exit point. A lady was in front of us and one traveller at a time is only allowed to exit in order not to make the front of the airport rowdy. When the lady in front us exited, a crazy cold breeze slapped my essence that I turned to my wife what just happened. She didn't have an answer and I wasn't sure if what hit me was the AC within JFK airport or it just came from outside. When it got to our turn and we exited, the cold was unbelievable. "But they said they are in spring, how come it is this cold?" I asked the taxi driver. The driver laughed and just said "welcome to New York". We packed our stuff in the car and moved.

Our destination was about 40 minutes away and all I had my eyes on was the fare meter. Something that was reading peacefully just added $6.55 after passing a bridge immediately. "Ah, do you guys have Tinubu or LCC here?", I exclaimed. The black driver laughed but didn't get the joke. "Please, how come $6.55 jumped on the fare just now?", I asked. "Oh, that's normal around here. It applies to Queens Midtown, blah blah blah..." At this time, the fare had jumped to $49 dollars and I kept wondering what the eventual fare would be after arriving our temporary destination.

Long story short, we arrived and fare cost was $69.10. Mi rogo! Lori taxi!? shocked. I almost had instant migraine because the Nigerian in me just started converting $70 to Naira, in line with the latest Black Market Rate. While I was lost in thoughts, the driver jokingly asked if I wouldn't tip him after driving the long distance. I looked at him in confusion. "But I just paid you, I know tipping you isn't important. The Nigerian in me is converting the fare and you are asking that I tip you again?" E wo l'eleyi bayii? undecided "So, how much do I tip you?" I asked, trying to prepare my mind for one unbelievable response. He looked at me and responded; "usually, it is 20% of the fare", about $7 or so", he replied. I gave him $10 from the $30 change he gave to me, converted $77 to Naira on the spot while he thanked us and drove away. I was shivering almost two minutes after alighting while trying to move our bags into our host's apartment. Cold ran up my spine even with a jacket on and was almost shaking. It isn't even in Utah yet or even winter but spring and the cold is this insane. Nothing prepares you for this as a Nigerian. Nothing does. cry

129 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by DDfruitful: 5:52am On Apr 27, 2022
Nice

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by CountVersailles(f): 6:06am On Apr 27, 2022
Following...
Long stopovers are only interesting if you have a transit visa. Otherwise, it's boring staying in the airport.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by seunny4lif(m): 6:51am On Apr 27, 2022
Sanchez01:
The long and short of it is that I am in Turkey right now for my first. The next is in New York before finally moving to Salt Lake City, in Utah. In total, the travel time is 56 hours, which was the main reason for bemoaning the "mistake" I made while booking. Wifey thought booking a longer flight hour means an experience that is worth it. As a first time international traveller, I am fast learning the implication of having stopovers that are longer than the flight time themselves.
There is nothing to see in stopover unless you are stepping out of the airport or it’s just only 3 hours max.
The max stopover I have experienced is 3 hrs and Its the worst, because our flight got to Lisbon early.
I promised myself since then never to wait for more than 2 hrs except I want to step out around the airport.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Yohans(m): 6:53am On Apr 27, 2022
Following...

1 Like

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by solid3(m): 7:14am On Apr 27, 2022
following...

2 Likes

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by julaion: 9:14am On Apr 27, 2022
Following

1 Like

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by DannyFX2638: 12:56pm On Apr 27, 2022
We here

1 Like

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Ertugrul: 1:32pm On Apr 27, 2022
Driver abeg drop me here....OP fire down

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 3:31am On Apr 28, 2022
Just arrived JFK in New York and the time is currently 10:31 PM (Wednesday). I should be uploading pictures shortly.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by bukhety(f): 3:50am On Apr 28, 2022
Nice one!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Legacyedition: 4:26am On Apr 28, 2022
seunny4lif:

There is nothing to see in stopover unless you are stepping out of the airport or it’s just only 3 hours max.
The max stopover I have experienced is 3 hrs and Its the worst, because our flight got to Lisbon early.
I promised myself since then never to wait for more than 2 hrs except I want to step out around the airport.

I enjoyed my 12 hours stopover at Heathrow airport, London. I even did massage within the airport and met nice people. Didn't go outta the airport.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Originalsly: 7:05am On Apr 28, 2022
Where are you staying in New York?..... and for how long?

4 Likes

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 7:47am On Apr 28, 2022
CountVersailles:
Following...
Long stopovers are only interesting if you have a transit visa. Otherwise, it's boring staying in the airport.
Funny enough, I wouldn't say it was exactly boring. I enjoyed the sleep pod and movies kept us preoccupied.

I am definitely not wifey book tickets going forward. Long stopovers are ridiculous.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 7:50am On Apr 28, 2022
seunny4lif:

I love to travel but I hate digressions. Doing other stuff doing stopovers won't work with me. To be fair, the Turkish Airport is packed with so many things that you could be there for over 20 hours and not feel it. That said, I am never subscribing to stopovers again. The experience isn't too bad for a first time international traveller but for someone who doesn't like seeing so many people moving around, I definitely wouldn't subscribe going forward.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 8:22am On Apr 28, 2022
Originalsly:
Where are you staying in New York?..... and for how long?
Currently at Bronx. JFK is our second stopover and we'll be moving out to our final destination later today. It is currently 3:22 AM here.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Originalsly: 9:03am On Apr 28, 2022
Sanchez01:

Currently at Bronx. JFK is our second stopover and we'll be moving out to our final destination later today. It is currently 3:22 AM here.

Hmmm...... this leg needed a longgggg stop over! Not really much to see or do in the Bronx ... unless if you're around a commercial area. If traveling later in the afternoon.... I suggest you get on the #4/#6 Subway this morning around 9... after Rush Hour.... and ride down to 42nd Street Grand Central Station ... find your way out of the station ... find 42nd street and ask anyone which direction to Times Square.... a 20 minutes walk. Leave around 2 hours before the time you need to get back. Take taxi to drop you off at the nearest #6 uptown station except Grand Central.
Shorter trip.... #2/5 subway to 149th Street 3rd Ave..... after 10:30 a.m ...shopping area in the Bronx.....or Fordhan Road... your host should fill you in.
If neither.... get on the #4 ride to 149th street ... get off.... get the same train in opposite direction and back to where you got on. Runs above ground up to Yankee Stadium then dives underground to next stop 149th... just for the experience.

It will be a longggg time if ever you return to NYC. Make the best while you can.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Solanaa: 10:26am On Apr 28, 2022
Sanchez01:
*Scratches head.* The pictures look great and super sharp on my phone but for weird reasons, they become blurry when I upload them.

Okay use this hack

Screenshot then upload the new screenshot.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Solanaa: 10:27am On Apr 28, 2022
Originalsly:

Hmmm...... this leg needed a longgggg stop over! Not really much to see or do in the Bronx ... unless if you're around a commercial area. If traveling later in the afternoon.... I suggest you get on the #4/#6 Subway this morning around 9... after Rush Hour.... and ride down to 42nd Street Grand Central Station ... find your way out of the station ... find 42nd street and ask anyone which direction to Times Square.... a 20 minutes walk. Leave around 2 hours before the time you need to get back. Take taxi to drop you off at the nearest #6 uptown station except Grand Central.
Shorter trip.... #2/5 subway to 149th Street 3rd Ave..... after 10:30 a.m ...shopping area in the Bronx.....or Fordhan Road... your host should fill you in.
If neither.... get on the #4 ride to 149th street ... get off.... get the same train in opposite direction and back to where you got on. Runs above ground up to Yankee Stadium then dives underground to next stop 149th... just for the experience.

It will be a longggg time if ever you return to NYC. Make the best while you can.

My Boss dishing out his NY knowledge cool

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Originalsly: 12:50pm On Apr 28, 2022
Solanaa:

My Boss dishing out his NY knowledge cool

grin ... no comment!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 2:14pm On Apr 28, 2022
Originalsly:

Lol! Thank you for this! These folks are about dragging us out to Times Square and a couple of other places. Would definitely be touching some places you mentioned. I'll equally be dropping some pictures later.

Thanks once again grin

Modified:

Pictures!

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Originalsly: 2:20pm On Apr 28, 2022
Sanchez01:

Lol! Thank you for this! These folks are about dragging us out to Times Square and a couple of other places. Would definitely be touching some places you mentioned. I'll equally be dropping some pictures later.

Thanks once again grin

Nice of them....to drag you out... for your own good! You can't come to NYC and not go to "the City"!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by ayomide8990(m): 2:53pm On Apr 28, 2022
0.Hadampson
1.Niklausefred
2. Fidelismaria
3. Nicoswit
5. Jaycew ( POLAND)*
6. Subomi007
7. lamboladee
8. SaintHillary (UK)*
9. Vhuqnl
10. Joohan
11.Paccus
12. Richdee1
13. ichbinbrait
14. Canih28
15. olioxx
16. Savagethe21st
17. aziza45442
18. 2Lynx
19.NoFap123
20.Daintyprincess
21. Brawlscartel
22. seedorfy134
23.Tolzy11
24.RedChiefPriest
25.godsgabby
26.Jizzyjordan

Another Wonderful Japa Story.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Richdee1(m): 5:51pm On Apr 28, 2022
Sanchez01:

First, I am not a picture person so this is a whole lot of challenge taking pictures at every turn.

Anyways, Richdee1, here is a mention as promised.

Thsvks boss!! We await

Pictures help spice up thread in this section
Congratulations �

Just take a screenshot like someone said up there and post the screenshot instead of the main pics

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 6:47pm On Apr 28, 2022
Originalsly:

Nice of them....to drag you out... for your own good! You can't come to NYC and not go to "the City"!
Times Square...

20 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Train Crushes Man's Leg And Hand While Listening To Music In Lagos / Myanmar Pilot Successfully Lands Faulty Plane Without Front Wheels (Photos) / The Destruction Caused After Dam Collapsed In South Africa (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.