Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far - Programming (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far (47774 Views)

Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker / 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 11:17pm On May 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Mine last year was just to write a code to iterate a tree. Just 3 lines of code. I didnt know. A japa job that I had suffered to reach the final stage.
You would have figured it out if you just started writing something sha. At least a for loop or a filter function or something haha.

That must have indeed been painful. I'm about to start learning DSA for the sake of future jobs. Hopefully I'm consistent enough

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Babtunz: 11:18pm On May 13, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:

My interview was great. I'd rate it 8/10.

I was already in the meeting room online about 5 minutes to the start of time. The first question was the usual "tell us about yourself and your background".

I gave a brief narration about my work experience so far, (didn't let them know they were internships), also talked about some of my technical writing experience.

At this stage, I quickly chipped in on some of the open source works I've done. The CTO guy immediately developed keen interest when I mentioned open source.
I've actually been doing some beginner friendly open source contributions on GitHub. Both in code and in technical writing. The guy seemed to love that fact.
I made sure I use that moment to shine.

He asked me to show some of my open source contributions on GitHub, which I did.

Now, after about 30 minutes of chit chats, it was time for some technical rounds.
Unexpectedly, it was my projects on GitHub they decided to use to fire me questions.

They went through my different code on GitHub and ask me questions. For example, the guy would enter a file and see a block of code somewhere, he would ask me to explain what the code was doing. Why I used that approach instead of another approach (which he would mention).

Omo me wey don forget why I write some code sef grin
However, I would do my best to explain to the best of my memory and knowledge.

I made sure the interview was as communicative as possible. I expressed myself a lot.

So after one hour, they finally relaxed me.
Now it was time for me to ask them questions. So I decided to ask about their product. What their product really do and what the aim was in the near future.

So yeah, interview process differs, the main thing is to give them a reason to employ you.

But as for DSA, well, that's different lol.
Not all companies use DSA, that must have been a very high paying job role.

They gave me a specific time they'd get back to me, so fingers crossed. grin

I wish you good luck chief and may their response favour you IJN.

5 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:20pm On May 13, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
You would have figured it out if you just started writing something sha. At least a for loop or a filter function or something haha.

That must have indeed been painful. I'm about to start learning DSA for the sake of future jobs. Hopefully I'm consistent enough

You cant use for loops for trees. Automatic failure lol. grin
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Karleb(m): 11:33pm On May 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You cant use for loops for trees. Automatic failure lol. grin

That would be BFS or DFS, right?
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:39pm On May 13, 2022
Karleb:

That would be BFS or DFS, right?

Yeah DFS is better since its recursive in nature. BFS uses queues and the code is long and one can easily make mistakes when coding.
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by gsparks01(m): 12:52am On May 14, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:

I was already in the meeting room online about 5 minutes to the start of time. The first question was the usual "tell us about yourself and your background".

I gave a brief narration about my work experience so far, (didn't let them know they were internships), also talked about some of my technical writing experience.

At this stage, I quickly chipped in on some of the open source works I've done. The CTO guy immediately developed keen interest when I mentioned open source.
I've actually been doing some beginner friendly open source contributions on GitHub. Both in code and in technical writing. The guy seemed to love that fact.

He asked me to show some of my open source contributions on GitHub, which I did.

Now, after about 30 minutes of chit chats, it was time for some technical rounds.
Unexpectedly, it was my projects on GitHub they decided to use to fire me questions.

They went through the different code on my GitHub and ask me questions. For instance, the guy would enter a file and see a block of code somewhere, he would ask me to explain what the code was doing, why I used that approach rather than another approach (which he would mention).

I made sure the interview was as communicative as possible. I expressed myself a lot.

Now it was time for me to ask them questions. So I decided to ask about their product. What their product really do and what the aim was in the near future.

So yeah, interview process differs, the main thing is to give them a reason to employ you.

congrats!
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Seyong10(m): 8:17am On May 14, 2022
Princevirus:

I think this is a great idea. I'm going to create a group and put the link here

Here's the link:https:///DFD1p2H6dL0IvnCLhKZYt3

Nairaland can't allow it. Just add "chat dot whatsapp dot com " before the DFD

Please let's join, share ideas and job adverts to people that may need it.
Please how do I join... Can you add me?? I'm unable to at my end here.. 08145335287
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by frankfab(m): 9:10am On May 14, 2022
Babtunz:

Hello,
I think we're in the same boat. Written a few articles already and I'm hoping I could find someone as a partner to speed up and improve my writing skills.

Do you mind having me as a partner? We could start a group for technical writers to share professional tips and helpful materials. The group will be strictly by invitation and we'll need some mechanism to verify if truly a prospective member is a valid author.

I await your reply, chief.

That's sounds great. My contact info is in my signature.
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Hybkay(m): 10:44am On May 14, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:

They went through the different code on my GitHub and ask me questions. For instance, the guy would enter a file and see a block of code somewhere, he would ask me to explain what the code was doing, why I used that approach rather than another approach (which he would mention).

what's the salary range of this job
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Andrenalin: 11:20am On May 14, 2022
Princevirus:

Okay thanks for this
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Princevirus(m): 11:28am On May 14, 2022
Seyong10:

Please how do I join... Can you add me?? I'm unable to at my end here.. 08145335287

I will add you now
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 12:08pm On May 14, 2022
Hybkay:
what's the salary range of this job
I have no idea yet
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Andrenalin: 2:51pm On May 14, 2022
Princevirus:

Sent you a pm already reply bro
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Dawudski(m): 7:19am On May 15, 2022
Princevirus:

Add me pls
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Dawudski(m): 7:21am On May 15, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:

Best wishes bro.
You thread has been very informative and motivating. I pray you get this one.

3 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Joesno(m): 10:33am On May 15, 2022
Princevirus:

It didn't work, add me - 09055268682
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Princevirus(m): 1:37pm On May 15, 2022
Andrenalin:

Sent you a pm already reply bro
Saw nothing

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Andrenalin: 3:26pm On May 15, 2022
Princevirus:

Saw nothing

I have don't that again...

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Efeboyi: 7:37pm On May 16, 2022
LUAN:
I felt like like am wasting time, my mind would be telling me that I suppose use laptop, and I do feel sleepy too

Same here man. I don't even know what to do self cry cry but I will be doing the solo learn small small Sha till I get a system.
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by sdqumar(m): 6:56am On May 17, 2022
Princevirus:

08027746032 add me thanks
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Seunfunmi18(m): 8:49am On May 17, 2022
Princevirus:

Not working
Add me up 0-8-0-7-4-0-2-0-2-9-3
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Playermayweda(m): 7:43pm On May 17, 2022
Add me 08165631816
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Nobody: 6:04am On May 18, 2022
Add me too. 08111145151
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by VibeB: 4:56pm On May 18, 2022
pls add me 07064668366 Thanks bro

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by gbengaoyeladun(m): 5:06pm On May 18, 2022
Plus add up
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Jamesarua: 11:33pm On May 18, 2022
Pls add me 08140480701
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by bercarray(m): 6:01pm On May 19, 2022
Princevirus:

Baba abeg the link no work add me please 081-56-98-76-27
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Wryhder: 6:33pm On May 19, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:

Good luck! This thread has been a great read. I'm rooting for you. smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by bercarray(m): 7:01pm On May 19, 2022
https:///DFD1p2H6dL0IvnCLhKZYt3(2022)
Just remove the (2022) and join the WhatsApp group that was discussed here, for those of u that said the link isn't working. Try this
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by OliranServices: 3:00am On May 20, 2022
Phayzz:
I started learning coding last month, i am currently learning java using the app 'grasshopper' but I feel like am not gaining anything, can pls suggest which app or any source where I can start from. I was told I also need to learn HTML, which one should I start first.

Sorry for taking your time.

I started this month too. I have learnt HTML, now on CSS. Let's tag along on this great journey. It's a space we will need a lot of connect.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Maxxim: 4:00pm On May 20, 2022
bercarray:
https:///DFD1p2H6dL0IvnCLhKZYt3(2022)
Just remove the (2022) and join the WhatsApp group that was discussed here, for those of u that said the link isn't working. Try this
Help add up 09***

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

Mass Resignation Of Software Engineers Disrupts Banks Digitisation Move / Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins / Project Topics In Computer Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.