Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,399 members, 7,864,774 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 06:29 AM

Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues (359 Views)

Israeli Air Strikes Kill Over 20 Palestinians In Refugee Camps / Syrian Refugee Stabs Four Children In French Town (Warning: Graphic Content) / Nuclear Power Plant: Heavy Fighting Ongoing As Ukrainian Forces Resist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues by shogsman(m): 11:00am On Apr 30, 2022
WARSAW, Poland — When the Russian invasion started, Adriana Porowska, a Polish social worker, could hardly keep track of the flood of people signing up to volunteer to help Ukrainian refugees arriving in Warsaw.

But more than nine weeks into the war, that wave of volunteers is receding. She is having an increasingly difficult time finding people to fill volunteer shifts.
“There are no new people coming to join the volunteers, only leaving,” she said. Those who do sign up “have to do more work, and they are even more tired,” she said.

Sitting in a food tent outside a Warsaw train station on the Saturday before Easter, Porowska said she had hardly been home in the past two months. Her house was a mess. She was exhausted. And she hadn’t had time to prepare for the holiday.

“I just hope my husband doesn’t divorce me and my son doesn’t abandon me,” she joked. “But really, my hope is that the volunteers do not abandon me.”
As the war in Ukraine drags on with no immediate end in sight, Poland’s initial embrace of the refugees is starting to show signs of strain, as resources — including volunteers, housing, classroom space and jobs — are running thin.

Poland has taken in an estimated 2.9 million of the more than 5 million Ukrainians who have fled the country. Here in the capital city, the population has grown by roughly 15 percent since the war started. Mayor Rafal Trzaskowski has warned that Warsaw is at “capacity” and unable to absorb another wave of refugees, which he worries could be coming as Russia changes its strategy to focus its attacks on the eastern part of Ukraine.

Long term, we envision quite a lot of problems and it puts an enormous strain on the city,” he said in an interview with MSNBC on Tuesday. The mayor visited the United States to plead for more help from the international community and warn that “with the escalation in the east and with 7 million people displaced within Ukraine, we can expect another wave.”

Thousands of people in Poland mobilized at the start of the war to welcome Ukrainians into their own homes, but finding housing has since become more difficult. Polish families willing to host refugees have already filled up their spare rooms. The number of available apartment units for rent in Warsaw has diminished significantly and rental prices have increased by more than 30 percent since the end of February.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/polands-resources-running-dry-ukrainian-refugee-crisis-continues-rcna25991

Re: Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues by Nerogaming01(m): 11:08am On Apr 30, 2022
Nigeria is open grin
Re: Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues by chronique(m): 11:08am On Apr 30, 2022
War is never a good thing. I wonder why they didn't put in as much effort to resolve this crisis diplomatically as much as they have done militarily. All of these could have been avoided.

3 Likes

Re: Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues by seunny4lif(m): 11:17am On Apr 30, 2022
Poland has asked EU for fund to house Ukrainians.
The PM said they need more fund from EU to be able house the Ukrainians coming.

I thought Poland is doing for free, or don’t same Poland tried to blocked EU fund to Greece for Iraqi and Syria refugees.

4 Likes

Re: Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues by dawnomike(m): 11:18am On Apr 30, 2022
chronique:
War is never a good thing. I wonder why they didn't put in as much effort to resolve this crisis diplomatically as much as they have done militarily. All of these could have been avoided.
That has been my thought exactly... To now even think of it that, Ukraine has still and may never be able to join NATO

2 Likes

Re: Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues by baralatie(m): 11:22am On Apr 30, 2022
It was cheaper to avert this war than the I'll advice of $33 billion to fund the war
Re: Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues by Elvictor: 11:22am On Apr 30, 2022
grin grin

Nice PR.

This war na cash out format, is time Poles cash out like Zalensky is doing.
Re: Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues by baralatie(m): 11:24am On Apr 30, 2022
dawnomike:
That has been my thought exactly... To now even think of it that, Ukraine has still and may never be able to join NATO
After all this action film
You people are still talking about joining NATO

Na wa o

1 Like

Re: Poland's Resources Running Dry As Ukrainian Refugee Crisis Continues by baralatie(m): 11:25am On Apr 30, 2022
Elvictor:
grin grin

Nice PR.

This war na cash out format, is time Poles cash out like Zalensky is doing.
Okay so how much is Poland asking for to house refugee ukrainians

(1) (Reply)

Putin Is Stealing Ukraine's Land / Canada To Return Sanctioned Nord Stream Turbine To Germany / Charles’ First Address As King (full Speech)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.