Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,884 members, 7,810,393 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back (15032 Views)

African Leaders Prepare To Meet Putin After Zelensky Rules Out Talks / Meet Putin's 2 Daughters As US Places Sanctions On Them / Meet Putin The Russian President, His Wife And Daughters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by HonNL: 12:47pm On May 03, 2022
Pope Francis has told an Italian newspaper that he has offered to travel to Moscow to meet with President Vladimir Putin to try to end Russia’s war in Ukraine, but that he hasn’t yet heard back.

Francis said he made the offer about three weeks into Russia’s invasion, via the Vatican secretary of state, Cardinal Pietro Parolin.

Popes for decades have sought to visit Moscow as part of the longstanding effort to heal relations with the Russian Orthodox Church, which split with Rome more than 1,000 years ago. But an invitation has never been forthcoming.

“Of course, it would be necessary for the leader of the Kremlin to make available some window of opportunity. But we still have not had a response and we are still pushing, even if I fear that Putin cannot and does not want to have this meeting at this moment,” Francis was quoted as saying by the Corriere della Sera newspaper.

Francis recalled that he spoke in March with the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, for 40 minutes by videoconference and for the first half “with paper in hand, he read all of the justifications for the war.

“I listened and told him: ‘I don’t understand any of this. Brother, we are not clerics of the state, we cannot use language of politics, but that of Jesus. ... For this we need to find the paths of peace, to stop the firing of arms.’”

Francis has given a handful of interviews of late to friendly media emphasizing his call for an end to the war and initiatives to provide humanitarian relief to Ukrainians. He has defended his decision to not call out Putin or Russia publicly, saying popes don’t do so. But he freely named Putin in his remarks to Corriere, and seemed to equate the carnage in Ukraine with the genocide in Rwanda a quarter-century ago.

“Such brutality, how can you not try to to stop it? Twenty-five years ago in Rwanda we saw the same thing,” he was quoted as saying.

SOURCE

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Righteousness2(m): 12:50pm On May 03, 2022
The Deception in these Endtimes is Flawless.
The Deception is bold and is sweeping and will sweep many people away.

If you will not be taken away by the Deception, you will not put your hope on any man.
You must put your Eyes on JESUS and JESUS alone.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Nobody: 12:53pm On May 03, 2022
Although it's never too late to intervene... but offering to travel to Moscow 3 weeks into the invasion (After so many have died and a lot has been destroyed) seems a little too late, to me.

When the drums of war were being beaten...this intervention might have meant something.

Travel to Ukraine and Moscow. Talk to Zel , talk to Put.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Mooh247: 12:55pm On May 03, 2022
grin

They want to kill Putin like they killed Abacha

Pope was the second to the last person to visit Abacha to give him final warning of the west to release Abiola and hand over to a civilian

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by GreatAdvice: 12:58pm On May 03, 2022
I like the Pope, I really do. It's nice that the world has an icon that can broker peace amongst warring nations. But there is no amount of talks or prayers that can convince Putin to stop this madness. The only thing Putin fears the most is NATO's military might.

Moreover, Putin has stage IV metastatic pancreatic cancer and just 3 months to live. A mad man on his way out, is going to take everyone down with him.

I will advise the Pope to avoid Russia like the plague if he doesn't want to get assassinated.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by westfield: 3:03pm On May 03, 2022
Ok
Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by oluseyiforjesus(m): 3:03pm On May 03, 2022
Wow I remember that picture up there....
That man in black agbada is better than Buhari..... Who's with me.......

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by UncommonLogic: 3:04pm On May 03, 2022
Putin telling Pope to FVCK off.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by ImmaculateJOE(m): 3:04pm On May 03, 2022
Since I was still a kid Catholic Church has been praying for Russia.

There's a special prayer for the People of Russia that is part of Our Block Rosary Crusade Prayer booklet that time.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Flier: 3:04pm On May 03, 2022
topcatking:
Although it's never too late to intervene... but offering to travel to Moscow 3 weeks into the invasion (After so many have died and a lot has been destroyed) seems a little too late, to me.

When the drums of war were being beaten...this intervention might have meant something.

Travel to Ukraine and Moscow. Talk to Zel , talk to Put.

You need to see how much the world tried to stop this invasion,meeting upon meetings,call upon calls,I think Putin will never listen till he has enough in Ukraine

13 Likes

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by ecolime(m): 3:04pm On May 03, 2022
Righteousness2:

If you will not be taken away by the Deception, you will not put your hope on any man.
Who is deceiving who?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by NwaNimo1(m): 3:04pm On May 03, 2022
Who be Pope?

[img]https:///media/4-02-2022/WHvSd9.gif[/img]

...Its better Trump goes to sort the matter out.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by iHart(m): 3:04pm On May 03, 2022
Good
Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by oluseyiforjesus(m): 3:04pm On May 03, 2022
I keep on saying it, Putin ma teee laslas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Wealthierboy(m): 3:05pm On May 03, 2022
cheesy

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Realestatevixen: 3:05pm On May 03, 2022
Nice

I am giving out 5 plots of 500sqm piece of land @ N2.5m each. Original price is 7m.

Only 5 plots are available for this massive Ramadan price slash.

Seman metropolis estate Lugbe Abuja is located behind Dunamis Glory Dome, and beside River park estate, along airport road Abuja. This is a once in a life time opportunity.

Please call 080 3651 9974 now!!!.
Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Guyman02: 3:05pm On May 03, 2022
The Russian patriarch gave reasons for the crisis and why the war is popular in Russia. Pope Francis should make the Russian complaints available to the west for response before meeting with Putin to have an effective meeting.

ImmaculateJOE:
Since I was still a kid Catholic Church has been praying for Russia.

There's a special prayer for the People of Russia that is part of Our Block Rosary Crusade Prayer booklet that time.
It was Prayer for the conversion of Russia, today Russia is more Christian than the West with LGBT and other vices they are spreading around the world

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by VladimirPutiin(m): 3:06pm On May 03, 2022
cool

The west wants to use him to get to Putin. But Putin is way ahead.

7 Likes

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by VladimirPutiin(m): 3:06pm On May 03, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

They want to kill Putin like they killed Abacha

grin

With the help of CIA. But Abacha died after the visit of Pakistan leader to Nigeria,

7 Likes

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 03, 2022
Whatever that will bring an immediate end to the senseless killings is highly recommended, between,why is no one speaking about the senseless killings and silent dangerous war going on in Nigeria?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by boyfrank: 3:07pm On May 03, 2022
Righteousness2:

You are always high on conspiracies. What's the correlation with the news.

23 Likes

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Sonnobax15(m): 3:08pm On May 03, 2022
grin
E be like say pope go reality wait tire.......Putin wey never ready to stop bombing Ukraine finish grin

2 Likes

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Anitatunde(f): 3:08pm On May 03, 2022
How BVN can be used to steal money from your bank accounts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJcndxUln0

1 Like

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by tsmat(m): 3:09pm On May 03, 2022
Who pope help?

There are wars in Africa and they are mute and not doing anything to help Africa. But some white decide to kill another set o white people and the pope has voice now.

Nonsense.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Mrlola: 3:10pm On May 03, 2022
GreatAdvice:
I like the Pope, I really do. It's nice that the world has an icon that can broker peace amongst warring nations. But there is no talking amount of talks or prayers that can convince Putin to stop this madness. The only thing Putin Putin fears the most is NATO's military might.

Moreover, Putin has stage IV metastatic pancreatic cancer and just 3 months to live. A mad man on his way out, is going to take everyone down with him.

I will advise the Pope to avoid Russia like the plague if he doesn't want to get assassinated.

What's your source? Don't mention Western Media please. You all stupidly goaded Ukraine into this needless war. You are shameless.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Stevenson20: 3:11pm On May 03, 2022
Dialogue is the only solution.

4 Likes

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Arysexy(m): 3:11pm On May 03, 2022
[s]
Righteousness2:

[/s]

Nonsense

4 Likes

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by falseprophet: 3:12pm On May 03, 2022
grin

Pope can go Fvck himself

Let them all religious scammers stay off politics including CEO of redeemed group of companies

1 Like

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by olarent: 3:12pm On May 03, 2022
Bro,they did not.If they want to stop it they should have tell them self the truth by not invitee Ukraine to joined NATO that was the genesis of the problem.
Flier:
You need to see how much the world tried to stop this invasion,meeting upon meetings,call upon calls,I think Putin will never listen till he has enough in Ukraine

11 Likes

Re: Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back by Topzee109: 3:12pm On May 03, 2022
Wetin pope Wan contribute, abeg shift

His likes are in Africa

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amsterdam Trade Bank, A Subsidiary Of Russia Alfa Bank Declares Bankruptcy / Iran Bans Politicians With Dual Citizenship From Becoming Lawmakers / Unanimous UN Security Council Declaration Backs ‘Peaceful’ Ukraine Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.