Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,658 members, 7,813,218 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings (1538 Views)

40 American Students Take Igbo Names After Tracing Ancestry To Igboland / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings by Tochex101(m): 5:53pm On May 03, 2022
Today most igbos bear common or christianised names as Chinedu,Emeka, Nkechi,Chioma....

This thread is to celebrate our old,meaningful names and hopefully encourage a reawakening in us all....
I start with my own name.......

Umeakunne.......Ume being the Head word.."Ozor titleship"...Akunne....Mothers wealth.....
My name is a honorific to my grand mother..
Re: Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings by Daveambition(m): 6:43pm On May 03, 2022
OBIEFUNA
My Dad almost lost hope of ever having a male child after 5 elegant & beautiful daughters buh his last shot was a miracle lottery.
That's how i came to planet earth, & the day before his death he looked me dead in the eyes & said "OBIEFUNA SonOfStars" with a proud smile on his face..
Death is one crazy biaaatch, Rip Dad

4 Likes

Re: Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings by Tochex101(m): 11:02pm On May 03, 2022
Thanks dave.....let's keep it coming

Nnoruka....A beautiful name meaning
Nnoru....To stay...uka...."is best"..
Longevity is golden.....
Re: Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings by Tochex101(m): 8:37pm On May 05, 2022
More contributions are welcome..
Re: Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings by shantti(m): 6:50pm On May 08, 2022
ANUKAENYI- That's my mum's maiden name
ANU - THE MEAT/ANIMAL
KA - GREATER
ENYI - ELEPHANT
THE ANIMAL / MEAT THAT IS GREATER THAN THE ELEPHANT

1 Like

Re: Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings by Tochex101(m): 5:30am On May 09, 2022
shantti:
ANUKAENYI- That's my mum's maiden name
ANU - THE MEAT/ANIMAL
KA - GREATER
ENYI - ELEPHANT
THE ANIMAL / MEAT THAT IS GREATER THAN THE ELEPHANT
Very meaningful.....thank you.
Re: Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings by bigfrancis21: 8:06pm On May 10, 2022
Ofili/Ohiri?

Jigo?
Re: Old Igbo Names And Their Meanings by Tochex101(m): 9:48pm On May 10, 2022
bigfrancis21:
Ofili/Ohiri?

Jigo?

Ohiri....I've heard...
Jigo.....1st time....
Pls elucidate on their meanings.

(1) (Reply)

No Harm Intended, Just Want Advice. I Can't Understand Nigerian Men / Esi Idanwo WAEC Awon Akeeko Ghana Lo Dara Ju Lati Bii Odun Meta Seyin / Going Native Or Westernised?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.