Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,139 members, 7,811,203 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? (864 Views)

5 Masculine Chores I Did As A Female Child. / Higher Education And The Female Child / Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Roland17(m): 11:43pm On Jul 12, 2011
On my way home today after my daily work outs and jogging, an eight year old black american neighbour walked up to me and asked " Hi Sir, is it right to kiss my cousin's joystick, cos i did it yesterday after he asked me to?" already animated i asked gently how old is your cousin? she replied "i don't know for sure but i know he is above 20 cos he is older than my sister who is 21", at that point my heart cringed and tears from my soul could be heard from a distance, visible irritated i calmly told her to ensure she told her mom what happened and she replied, "my mom is never at home", that response shattered every other response i was going to give her, so i advised her never to do that again with the cousin and also to speak to the mom about it whenever she came back and also report to her dad and her school counselor, she promised to do as i said, thanked me and walked home,

Today's parents especially mothers have neglected their duties of child upbringing, children are now raised by the internet and peers while parents(mothers in particular) have become too busy to realize their children are gradually becoming strangers under their nose, all in a quest to make money, the female child deserves more protection,

Abuse is inhuman, lets stop this act
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by horny4u(f): 6:17am On Jul 13, 2011
sad! cry cry cry
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by desktop: 6:43am On Jul 13, 2011
Had on girl like that as well who said it was done to her at abt the same age by her older cousin he didnt just stop there he actually went as far as having intimacy with her! The part that pisses me off the most shes now in her 4th year in the university and still cant bring herself to tell her folks.I really cant stand timid girls theyre the ones usually yaken advantage of by pervs like this.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Sissy3(f): 8:03am On Jul 13, 2011
and where is the fathers in all of this? oh i forget, they are exempted from teaching their children moral values too and as well as bringing up their child/children. it is the mothers job after-all. so, if she doesn't do it, nobody else will. let the child/children be anuofia/s because since mom cant do it, no anybody else should care.

anyways, your story is quite a sad one. i applaud the girl for having the courage to say somethings thats not always the case in many instances. you did good by advising her to tell her somebody. though some would gone to the extent of calling the police/family and child services right-way because that right there is a clear case of child abuse. i would have most definitely called either the police or child services to investigate further because the chances of anybody in the family calling the police on this, is slim(unless she tell her school counselor or teacher). they would most likely try to cover it up or not believe her or just shun the cousin----which wouldnt most likely work because he will just invent new tactics to keep her shut.

"mother is never at home", as regards her own case here, it could be that her mother is a single mom, working 2 to 3 jobs to make ends meet. hence, has limited time to spend at home. why that's is sad (if working is the case here), i think it proves true the saying that "it takes a village to raise a child"
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Roland17(m): 3:41pm On Jul 13, 2011
parents have become tooo busy for their kids in today's modern world, kids are now trained by wat they see and hear, peer pressure is also another new mother they look up to, the girl certainly has a clear mind that is as open as a book, she obviously did not know wat she was doing, that was why she could confide in me, the case has been reported to the CPS(child protection services) and the investigations have commenced, the child would be taken away from the parents soon,
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by lolade4(f): 4:33pm On Jul 13, 2011
Sad story, the per-v-ert who exploited her innocence must surely be brought to book. This is how the evil seed of perversion gets sowed into the life of the kid
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Ivynwa(f): 1:01am On Jul 14, 2011
I don't think some mothers are doing enough really, there are always stories of children violated in situations that should have been prevented if much attention was given to that child. The truth is that a mother will never be 24hrs tied to her children but she should be doing her best in ensuring that her kids are in safe hands.
It is also good to help female (and even male ones because they get violated these days) children develop such awareness (a kind of sixth sense that alerts them) that should make them be very careful whenever they find themselves alone with strange males (and weird and unscrupulous male relatives too). Young female children (and male ones nowadays) face lots of dangers growing up in the society. I came face to face with many of that growing up, the good news is that God carried me through it all.

The sixth sense kind of alertness helped/and still helps me a great deal, it makes you suddenly go "okay now I may not be very safe and before a predator can swing into action you have already made a way of escape.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Sissy3(f): 4:02am On Jul 14, 2011
Roland17:

parents have become tooo busy for their kids in today's modern world, kids are now trained by wat they see and hear, peer pressure is also another new mother they look up to, the girl certainly has a clear mind that is as open as a book, she obviously did not know wat she was doing, that was why she could confide in me, the case has been reported to the CPS(child protection services) and the investigations have commenced, the child would be taken away from the parents soon,

good thing the CPS is investigating. i hope it goes more further than the investigation.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Sissy3(f): 4:10am On Jul 14, 2011
iice:

[b]Sorry being present is not the same as making impact.
It's like how people confuse talking for communicating

I LIKE THIS

(1) (Reply)

.... / Sesame Street / Planning To Become A Vegetarian What Not And What To Eat In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.