Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,323 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) (5081 Views)

My Wife Gave Me The Shock Of My Life. Help! / My Landlord Does House Chores For His Children, Fetches Water For Them / My Landlord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by EBUBS(m): 9:46am On May 16, 2022
Lawyers in the house please give me the advice.
I've never been in this situation. Please What's the best step to take.

1 Share

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by freemanq(m): 10:00am On May 16, 2022
Are you sure this man is ok?

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by pheelhip(m): 10:05am On May 16, 2022
No next step, but the heading of the message doesn't manifest the truth

Tell him the notice came to you unprepared and he would give you enough time to get yourself a new apartment. Enough time like 3mnths. If he asked you. If you can vacate within 3mnths, just leave.

Don't bother talking him in into paying the new house rent, he clear he doesn't need you in the building again if perhaps there's no issue of the soakaway.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by mymadam(m): 10:10am On May 16, 2022
freemanq:
Are you sure this man is ok?

Yes, he may be okay. However, the letter to the tenant is 'inconclusive'. The landlord has not yet given a 'notice to quit' to the tenant. He has simply intimated him with his intention. The 'notice to quit' should follow.... 1, 3 or 6 months' notice depending on the written/signed tenancy agreement between the two parties.

3 Likes

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by BuyAndSellStuff: 10:27am On May 16, 2022
Quit notices should be a minimum of 6 months.

If your location is Lagos, take the letter to your LGA's Mediation Centre. He will be invited and a 6 month notice will be given to you.

Note that you will be required to pay for the 6 months so start sorting out your finances ASAP.

Cheers.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by EBUBS(m): 11:10am On May 16, 2022
pheelhip:
No next step, but the heading of the message doesn't manifest the truth

Tell him the notice came to you unprepared and he would give you enough time to get yourself a new apartment. Enough time like 3mnths. If he asked you. If you can vacate within 3mnths, just leave.

Don't bother talking him in into paying the new house rent, he clear he doesn't need you in the building again if perhaps there's no issue of the soakaway.

Was actually planning to leave before this came up. I'll have to prepare myself and money too. Problem is he didn't include specified timing
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by MistaCode(m): 11:23am On May 16, 2022
It is what it is...!! Speak to your landlord to give you time to relocate since the notice came impromptu...No landlord will eject you immediately in terms like this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by pheelhip(m): 12:28pm On May 16, 2022
EBUBS:

Was actually planning to leave before this came up. I'll have to prepare myself and money too. Problem is he didn't include specified timing
That shouldn't be a problem
Since he wants you to leave forcefully, he will will to abide by your timing.

Make things in haste but don't rush yourself to getting anyhow apartment.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by NoToPile: 12:41pm On May 16, 2022
He is explicit enough to state what he wants, what you need is an official time to move out( which will be fully paid for). He has told you his intention.

Maybe he wants to build another soak away who knows?

2 Likes

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by thorpido(m): 12:53pm On May 16, 2022
Well, a landlord's property is his property but he has to give you quit notice officially and give you time to leave(usually 6 months).
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by Rickmann: 1:53pm On May 16, 2022
EBUBS:
Lawyers in the house please give me the advice.
I've never been in this situation. Please What's the best step to take.

Its legal that you all be given a 6month grace to at least get yourselves a new place.. But come Oh!..renovating a whole building because of soak away? Which kine shit una dey shit there biko grin
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by Lari03r(m): 3:10pm On May 16, 2022
Rickmann:

Its legal that you all be given a 6month grace to at least get yourselves a new place.. But come Oh!..renovating a whole building because of soak away? Which kine shit una dey shit there biko grin
Perhaps they clog the septic tank with sanitary pads and plastics which obstruct the passage of effluent.
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by Richy4(m): 4:27pm On May 16, 2022
I understand every other thing except the 15th of May...

When is your rent expiring to start with?.. if it has expired and you have not made any effort to pay, then u are leaving in his house illegally..

If it hasn't expired, then I have never seen that kind of notice in my life.. cheesy
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by Ghostrye: 7:59pm On May 16, 2022
the notice should have come three to six months before the time you are expecting to vacate depending on your type of tenancy
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by HarunaWest(m): 8:12pm On May 16, 2022
[quote author=EBUBS post=112879320]Lawyers in the house please give me the advice.
I've never been in this situation. Please What's the best step to take....wow
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by armyofone(m): 9:34pm On May 16, 2022
EBUBS:

Fine - write back telling him to give you 3 months to leave. Thank you for the notice - I shall be moving out by the end of August. Rent payments will continue etc...Make sure you pay o.

2 Likes

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 16, 2022
mymadam:

Yes, he may be okay. However, the letter to the tenant is 'inconclusive'. The landlord has not yet given a 'notice to quit' to the tenant. He has simply intimated him with his intention. The 'notice to quit' should follow.... 1, 3 or 6 months' notice depending on the written/signed tenancy agreement between the two parties.

Thanks for clarifying

Assuming this isn't some sort of joke, expecting someone to leave your house within 24 hours of this notice seems evil...

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by Pickmycall: 6:17am On May 17, 2022
BuyAndSellStuff:
Quit notices should be a minimum of 6 months.

If your location is Lagos, take the letter to your LGA's Mediation Centre. He will be invited and a 6 month notice will be given to you.

Note that you will be required to pay for the 6 months so start sorting out your finances ASAP.

Cheers.
A tenant who is given a quit notice doesn't pay throughout the six months.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by EBUBS(m): 6:38am On May 17, 2022
Richy4:
I understand every other thing except the 15th of May...

When is your rent expiring to start with?.. if it has expired and you have not made any effort to pay, then u are leaving in his house illegally..

If it hasn't expired, then I have never seen that kind of notice in my life.. cheesy

The rent got expired on the 15th of this month. And I was given a letter on the 15th. Was planning to either park out or renew
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by EBUBS(m): 6:38am On May 17, 2022
Ghostrye:
the notice should have come three to six months before the time you are expecting to vacate depending on your type of tenancy

Thought so too
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by EBUBS(m): 6:39am On May 17, 2022
Pickmycall:

Really please clarify more
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by Richy4(m): 6:57am On May 17, 2022
EBUBS:

The rent got expired on the 15th of this month. And I was given a letter on the 15th. Was planning to either park out or renew

It's good that you were trying to pack.. What a good tenant would have done would be to remind the landlord in April that his rent would be expiring on 15th of May.. and will like to move on the 20th of May...this is in order for the landlord to keep the deposit in his possession ready...

The caretakers/ agents that handles and monitor the properties are the ones that does this like one month to the expiration date.. in their absence, the landlord would do that... But to avoid bullshit like this, u should have done it.....

U can't stay in someone else's house and wait till 14th May to make up your mind to leave or to stay when your rent is expiring the next day...I guess u haven't even started looking for an alternative accommodation yet since you were planning to leave... Assuming u will be leaving in a month time, are u gonna pay for that month or is it a windfall or manna from heaven?

I like people that come to equity to come with clean hands buddy... No one whatsoever should be taken advantage of..
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by EBUBS(m): 7:07am On May 17, 2022
Richy4:

It's good that you were trying to pack.. What a good tenant would have done would be to remind the landlord in April that his rent would be expiring on 15th of May.. and will like to move on the 20th of May...this is in order for the landlord to keep the deposit in his possession ready...

The caretakers/ agents that handles and monitor the properties are the ones that does this like one month to the expiration date.. in their absence, the landlord would do that... But to avoid bullshit like this, u should have done it.....

U can't stay in someone else's house and wait till 14th May to make up your mind to leave or to stay when your rent is expiring the next day...I guess u haven't even started looking for an alternative accommodation yet since you were planning to leave... Assuming u will be leaving in a month time, are u gonna pay for that month or is it a windfall or manna from heaven?

I like people that come to equity to come with clean hands buddy... No one whatsoever should be taken advantage of..

Lol. It's totally not as easy as you think. Me planning on moving out means it must be a better place. That also means necessary funds for that purpose has to come.
If the funds does not come I'd rather renew until I'm comfortable enough to move to a better place.
Note: my landlord gives me an extra one month after expiry to renew. It's stated in the agreement/receipt.
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by Richy4(m): 7:23am On May 17, 2022
EBUBS:

Lol. It's totally not as easy as you think. Me planning on moving out means it must be a better place. That also means necessary funds for that purpose has to come.
If the funds does not come I'd rather renew until I'm comfortable enough to move to a better place.
Note: my landlord gives me an extra one month after expiry to renew. It's stated in the agreement/receipt.

What a kind man to give you 1 month to decide smiley.. I think some Nigerian landlords are nice.. though there are some from hell..

But what were u tenants eating that warrants sewage system to get removed/ drained every 5 months grin
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by EBUBS(m): 7:36am On May 17, 2022
Richy4:

What a kind man to give you 1 month to decide smiley.. I think some Nigerian landlords are nice.. though there are some from hell..

But what were u tenants eating that warrants sewage system to get removed/ drained every 5 months grin

It's probably a strategy to to tell us to vacate.

Imagine out of four tenants the letter was given to just two of us.

I and the other tenant had protested on why a single prepaid meter should be brought fur the whole compound without even noticing anyone. Making us to pay higher bills for electricity. Not that we aren't paying our bills as at when due.

Maybe na it make the guy want use toilet matter pursue us
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by BuyAndSellStuff: 7:47am On May 17, 2022
Pickmycall:

You will get a reality check soon. smiley
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by kingthreat(m): 8:12am On May 17, 2022
Guy start gathering money.You have a right to 3 months at least.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by NoToPile: 8:58am On May 17, 2022
EBUBS:

It's probably a strategy to to tell us to vacate.

Imagine out of four tenants the letter was given to just two of us.

I and the other tenant had protested on why a single prepaid meter should be brought fur the whole compound without even noticing anyone. Making us to pay higher bills for electricity Not that we aren't paying our bills as at when due.

Maybe na it make the guy want use toilet matter pursue us

Loool, there you have it. Pay higher bills how?

The wahala prepaid has caused in some compounds is not a small one, especially that the free prepaid they were sharing per bill.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by arthurwillia(m): 9:15am On May 17, 2022
Lol people here are just saying trash, which 6 months are they giving him? If your rent has expired then move out and look for somewhere else na. Cause I no understand. Why do you want to cause trouble? You want to to live in a house for free?Omo tenants sef can be wilding
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by arthurwillia(m): 9:16am On May 17, 2022
kingthreat:
Guy start gathering money.You have a right to 3 months at least.
right to stay in the house for 3 months for free? Lol
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by faceland: 10:11am On May 17, 2022
He is a coward.

Just say "I don't want you here again".

Anyway, he ought to give you six month notification. If you are okay with drama, get a lawyer and you can stay until the case is settled.
Re: See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) by faceland: 10:17am On May 17, 2022
arthurwillia:
Lol people here are just saying trash, which 6 months are they giving him? If your rent has expired then move out and look for somewhere else na. Cause I no understand. Why do you want to cause trouble? You want to to live in a house for free?Omo tenants sef can be wilding

The latter is dated 14th and he want them to pack on the 15th when they had plans to renew... Bros, he has lost this case especially with that sock-away excuse. He ought to even pay damages for trying to make them homeless without telling warning 6 months in advance.

I would leave the house for him when I have found a replacement at my convince (which might be one month max), but I know I have the right to foooq that up for at least 6 months to a year while we drag it at court.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unbelievable Ways To Have A Fun Filled Honeymoon In Nigeria With Little Expenses / Boost Your Child's Nutritional Intake With Reload 4 Kids / Kick For Jesus: Ghanaian Pastor Kicks Pregnant Woman In Her Belly (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.