Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,107 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos (39204 Views)

“The Suffering Boy Has Graduated”- Man Who Did Menial Jobs To Sponsor His School / AAU Student Drowns During A Picnic Organized By Her Hostel.. (video) / Nigerian Student In Taiwan University Makes His School Raise The Nigerian Flag. (2) (3) (4)

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by unmask: 4:18am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:
Why do 5-10 years need swimming practice sessions for heaven's sakes?

It' high time school owners vet non-schooling engagements they expose their students to. See, now, such good will and years of efforts will flush through the drain over some non-sensical activity that would have been suggested by a fool
There is nothing wrong in teaching 5-10 year olds how to swim.....This was a pure case of neglect by the teachers and "life guard"
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Actionkin: 4:20am On May 20, 2022
It is very unfortunate and sad to hear such an event. However, there is a huge aspect of negligence on the part of both the instructors and the swimming establishment. I hope more policies and training for instructors can be put in place to avoid such issues for repeating itself.
I hope a proper investigation is carried out, and the outcome and evidence supports the need for policy changes and competency on the part of the school, swimming instructors, and the swimming establishment.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Yonsxp: 5:15am On May 20, 2022
Schools are yet to learn their lessons. Their carelessness is infuriating.

That school should be closed down and the school authorities prosecuted for manslaughter.

May the little boys soul rest in peace and may God grant the parents to bear this painful lost.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Plugsk(m): 5:45am On May 20, 2022
Swimming lessons in naija schools? shocked nothing logical about this. Copy copy na im dey kill us.
Most of these parents will never let their kids get close to such big water.
Golan007:

Nothing wrong with kids learning to swim.

However, all safety protocols MUST be in place.

Nigerians in general aren't safety conscious.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Enyimbamercedes: 5:47am On May 20, 2022
You can imagine the helplessness of the parents watching a video of their child drowning, even though not a live video, you can imagine the screams for somebody to pull him out!

The school failed in its duty of care to all the children. Why take them to a pool with no safety measures in place. All the kids show have been wearing bright arm floaters at least. Why take them to an adults pool?

Unfortunately, this is Nigeria and nobody will be punished.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by 9japride(m): 6:15am On May 20, 2022
The I don't care attitude of an average person here is alarming. Same way I saw a picture of a teacher and pupils inside a boat without lifeguards here on nairaland. It's terrible. This is same I don't care attitude that makes people vote in irresponsible people into government, because they don't care for tomorrow or maybe they think they are pi$$ing others off. R.i.p to the child.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by SLOVFO(m): 6:27am On May 20, 2022
simple250:
Allot of teachers and care givers don't have passion for the job .RIP innocent boy God rest your soul.
On point. Most Nigerian teacher have no passion for the job and are only on it for the pay. And most Nigerian school owners pay paenuts. So the teachers show no comment on the job.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by investigator007: 6:37am On May 20, 2022
Really sad one, the school no try abeg.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by almangid(m): 6:37am On May 20, 2022
everythinggirly:
Please for goodness sake this is not America, this child is still tender for heaven's sake! Ah ah! Is swimming part of his scheme of work?

Hit me up for your academic research writing services!

The fact that you're asking if swimming is part of scheme of work would be the reason why I won't trust you with my research work because really? That's what you're asking?
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Jaqenhghar: 6:41am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:

It' high time school owners vet non-schooling engagements they expose their students to. See, now, such good will and years of efforts will flush through the drain over some non-sensical activity that would have been suggested by a fool
At what age do you suggest a child be taught swimming?
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Jaqenhghar: 6:43am On May 20, 2022
seborrhic:
Here we go again.
Next action Lagos closes the health club and closes the school.
Then another side of the story is heard and the confusion sets in.
I just wonder why schools are still so laikadaisical about looking after children knowing the blame would always be on them first if anything goes wrong.
Maybe its because they operate in a country with zero accountability.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Jaqenhghar: 6:44am On May 20, 2022
Golan007:

They dont even seevalue in human lives. If they were handling money do you think they will be this careless? Leave it unattended ...

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Jaqenhghar: 6:46am On May 20, 2022
Olumighty123:
I see reasons why my wife won't budge to my children going on school excursions, we'd rather take them ourselves undecided
True. Good move
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Aystarz: 6:54am On May 20, 2022
majamajic:
All this lagos private schools

5yrs old inside adult swimming pool
Private school owners.

All dem yeye kurukere extra-curricular activities are not to help the kids really ;it's all so they can generate more money for the owner who will never dim it fit to share with their teachers.

RIP young lad.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Missonas(f): 7:05am On May 20, 2022
Honest questions?

What is wrong with our teachers of today? Why are they not taking their jobs seriously anymore? What happened to the passion and drive the teachers of olden days used to have? Do these ones feel saddled with responsibilities they never wanted to have? What exactly is the problem with today teachers?
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by premierlead: 7:36am On May 20, 2022
Where is aka bad news here?

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by donbenie(m): 8:12am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:

There's nothing wrong with 5-10 year olds having swimming lessons..
It's a life skill..
And the child did not die because of swimming lessons..
He died because of incompetence on the part of the handlers..
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by adebwalex(m): 9:01am On May 20, 2022
onthehill:
Five-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos (Photo)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CduvvH5tlpL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sue the management of the school...
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by dnawah(m): 9:09am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:

it is only on Mars that it not needed,since there is no water there.in afghanistan here,that age can make small bomb and can carry two AK in both hands.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by KingOfAmebo(m): 9:33am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:

Just because you didn't learn how to swim at an early age which is practiced everywhere doesn't mean you should say rubbish... Swimming is a life saving skill and is recommended worldwide that kids learn to swim. I doubt if you can even swim to know the importance.

Alot of adults have drowned in situations where they could have rescued themselves if only they can swim but no they are just like people like you who wouldn't learn but discouraged others from learning, do you even know that Swimming is part of school curriculum in South Africa?

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Nobody: 9:33am On May 20, 2022
onthehill:
Five-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos (Photo)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CduvvH5tlpL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
The school management and teachers that took those kids to the pool should be arrested for gross negligence. In every pool where kids are brought in for swimming lessons every single one of the are restricted to the very shallow end of the pool known as the childrens area. What on earth were the kids doing at the deep end for adult swimmers??
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by jehoha696(m): 9:38am On May 20, 2022
Village pple juz sat down,planned diz mata & it went wella....Imagine taking kids to adult swimming pool,imagine no adult all round supervision, imagine allowing the kids to sit at d tip/edge of d pool,the kids will love d feeling of using dere legs to play with the water,BUT embarassed ....,the club/hotel has a cctv installed,but nobody to man it....hmmmm..,now wahala for the entire school staffs,parents & kids....,cuz govt might ban the school for negligence....the mata fit still touch d pool,a young kid drowning inside the pool,aje i no swim again.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Fearyourcreator: 9:42am On May 20, 2022
Fasindo:

Life is not worth anything in this country again

A day will not pass in Nigeria without one hearing one negative story or the other especially death story

Why taking kids to adult natatorial section. The people involve should be punished for their recklessness.
Even as an adult I don't near anything body of water, even the children swimming poll I don't near it.
Their is negative story everywhere ... Stop painting Nigeria black everytime
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by JDJ4: 10:00am On May 20, 2022
Nawaoo rest in peace dear
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by kennyholms2: 10:07am On May 20, 2022
I don't know why nigeria so believe on this cctv, when we all know that the company or individual who put cctv in their premises don't put anyone there to watch is going on,in the premises. And this school of nowadays are going extra miles on our kids thinking they are giving them exposure. Excursion start from secondary not all this thing they now do this days.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Totiemide: 10:11am On May 20, 2022
Most teachers ain't qualified to be a teacher but bcuz of dz Buhari time dy end up with teaching job.

They have
Zero passion for the job
Zero accountability
Zero drive for the job

The rate at which dz ppu establish private schools dz days scares me. Their mission is just to make ends meet and nothing else.

The loss of a child isn't healthy to one's mental health. Condolences to the parents.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by phemmyfour: 10:25am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:

That's why I will not allow my kids to go for any school excursion, they are just too careless. If they can't even monitor these children in the school compound, Is it outside the school premises would that be done effectively
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Nobody: 10:49am On May 20, 2022
Parents dont know they have the right to refuse some of these dubious extra curricular activites organized by schools.

In the quest to belong the stupid parents have lost their child, bunch of idiots.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Advancedman(m): 11:00am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:

Not even artificial pool the school is mad all this so called private school are just after money now they have turned killers of destiny and parents are the worse.
In case you want to quote me know that my submission here is deeper.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Lordswat(m): 11:07am On May 20, 2022
don't they have fliers in the pole?
like this is a firm total tragedy to the school
so sad
swimming is good for everyone cus nowadays instead tomorrow will lead us the greatness it will need us to greater risk
swimming is very important in life, likewise diffing, jumping, and so many risk exercise in preventing us in tragedy that life bring to us unexpectedly,
but so sad that faith have decide death through swimming for this young boy
the parent to take heart cus what has happen has happen
suing the school isn't going to bring their son back to life
yea it is painful but it's God's will
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by sharpwriter(m): 11:15am On May 20, 2022
ppogba:
Poverty mentality is one of our biggest problems here. Unfortunately, the people mostly affected even though they are not aware are the middle class.

Any little change, an average Nigerian wants to show that "" they have arrived"" with things that matter and the ones that do not matter. Daily in our conversations you hear things like " my child' s school fees is so and so amount., my children' school provides so and so " etc. Even when those things are just meant to scam them. I can imagine the pride of an average parent whose child is going for swimming lesson.

The other time, someone was boasting to me that each class in her children' s school has a water dispenser. I told her that immediately the children close for the day, the water barrel will be filled from the tank in the school compound.

Mentality!

cheesy grin
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Josephkabila12: 1:16pm On May 20, 2022
Golan007:

You are very correct brother. How many companies in Nigeria have safety department

Aarinola Olaiya, Obafemi Awolowo University Best Graduating Student / OAU VC, Ogunbodede, Speaks On Sex For Mark Scandal By Richard Akindele / What Do You Think This Guy Is Studying In The University?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52