Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,702 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

My Job-hunting Strategy Dose - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Job-hunting Strategy Dose (10577 Views)

Job Hunting Strategy / Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? / Some Fun While Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by engray: 1:37pm On May 22, 2022
I am a living testimony of the popular saying "Heaven helps those who help themselves". In helping oneself in life, you have to be strategically intentional about it.
Job-hunting in a nation like Nigeria as they say is "a job in itself". The rejections and disappointments are inseparable duo one has to deal with. But I tell you that with God and a change of strategy and patience you'll land that job sooner than you think.

I'll share my story and I hope it inspires us

EPISODE 1
I started work with one of the bank's in Nigeria as a contract staff back in 2015. As a fresh graduate, it felt huge for me with salary of 100k till I was deep into it and the many frustrations started to unfold. Fast forward to 2017, I started applying for jobs again. It was a weekly ritual for me. The deafening silence from not being called for aptitude test/interview, & the numerous rejection mails heightened my frustrations. 2018, it dawned on me that something has to be done about the document representing me -MY CV.
I paid for rewrite but was never satisfied.
Then I decided to dedicate myself to rewriting and updating my CV/Resume from time to time.It was at that point I realized I needed to be intentional about what I do at work,how I do it and the results I achieved. You know why? It's simply cos everything I do including the results I achieved must go down into my CV. I took my frustrating job more seriously and responsibly, I volunteered when there is need to, I was more involved in team building. Guess what, these eventually eventually brought me some positive recognition and promotion to a leadership role(which never reflected in my salary since I was just a contract staff). But I took it anyways. You know why ? MY C.V!... to be continued.

18 Likes

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by engray: 1:40pm On May 22, 2022
EPISODE 2
... While I kept updating my CV, the difference became clear compared to what it used to look like. I felt more confident and I kept applying for as many job openings I laid my hands on. I was so addicted to job sites.
While I was applying, there was a bit of difference in the results of my application. The rejections increased, but I had a few call for aptitude tests and some interviews too. Infact , in 2020, I landed a new job but I declined. The salary was 10k below what I was earning then and chances of promotion in the organization was like a camel passing through the eye of a needle. I can't go from frying pan to fire, I whispered to myself and I let go. Hunting continued.
I continued to apply myself well to my frustrating job at the bank(remember I was a contract staff) and of course, I was relentlessly still reviewing my CV, I kept ensuring my CV is a verb(action word/a doing word) and was spicing it with the corresponding results I was achieving then.
This did not stop the rejections. I could remember a week I got rejection mails back to back from Monday to Friday. That same week was the week I started deleting rejection mails from my email. I was so frustrated and felt like giving up. Thank God it stopped as just a feeling.
The frustration sparked something in Me again. Guess what ? Another change in strategy.....Watch out for Episode 3

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by engray: 1:41pm On May 22, 2022
EPISODE 3
..... thinking out loud, I spoke to myself, there has to be another way. Thankfully with the help of God, I dived into what I call the unsolicited job zone. This became a serious work for me. I sat down on several occasions to itemize the organizations I will like to work where my current experience in the bank is of relevance.
Oh goodness, you would think this was a school project for me.
Once I pick a particular organization, I would visit their website to check for their career /hr email. if I can't find that, I would send my CV to any email I find on their website. There are times I would also do a few permutations to guess the official email address of their head of HR and copy whoever it is. Let me add that I also supplement my unsolicited application with a brief cover letter on the body of the mail.
Yes there were no openings and there were no advertisements of any form requesting for people with my experience in those organizations, but I kept on sending in my applications. I call that blind firing as the used in the military. While doing this I was addicted to reviewing my CV. I would always tell myself, my life is my project and I can't give up. This new strategy started midway into year 2020 and at the end of 2020 December precisely, guess what?
Watch out for Episode 4.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by engray: 1:42pm On May 22, 2022
EPISODE 4
... December 2020, I got a call from one of those companies I had sent my CV to for unsolicited jobs. The first thing the lady (who is currently my boss) told me was, I saw your CV and I like it. It sounded like I heard Joe Biden telling me to pack my luggage and come to the United States.
she wasn't the HR but somehow my CV got to her and my experience was relevant to the department she's heading, she did a mini interview for me to feel my weight right on the phone. She asked how much I was willing to take as salary I mentioned but her response to me suggested I fumbled on that part. so I took my mind of it and continued with my blind firing.
My people , May 2021, I received an email from the organization's HR for a virtual 45 min interview. I had 3-4 days to prepare. I prepared like it was an interview to enter Heaven. I have never prepared for interview like that in my life. The d-day came, 45mins of virtual interview was like 5mins. Adequate preparation paid off really well. And of course God was 100% in control. I was asked how much I'm willing to take. I mentioned and there was no arguments/negotiations. 3weeks after the interview, I got an offer beyond my surprise. This included a very comprehensive HMO for wife and four kids.
I resumed the job July 2021 with probationary period of 6 months. The 6 months will be ticked this January 2022. Guess what? Another surprise that happened.
December 31st 2021, I received a promotion letter while still on probation. I am dazed till now.
Let me also add that it's a remote job. I work right from inside my house with my boxers.Lol

My fellow Nigerians job hunting, I understand the pains you're going through. The pains of rejections, the pains of failing that interview, The pains of joblessness itself. The pains of being broke. I have been through it. Please don't give up, Don't relent. Trust the process, and carry God along. Change strategies, take certifications, do volunteer jobs, you can as well take unpaid internship jobs and be intentional about making the best of the experience. And don't forget, let your CV be a verb and express quantifiable results you achieved.
This year, you'll get your Congratulation letter for that job.

112 Likes 13 Shares

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Sified(m): 1:53pm On May 22, 2022
Congratulations chief!
At the bolded did you state the same amount? And was your first response lower than her expectations?
engray:
EPISODE 4
... December 2020, I got a call from one of those companies I had sent my CV to for unsolicited jobs. The first thing the lady (who is currently my boss) told me was, I saw your CV and I like it. It sounded like I heard Joe Biden telling me to pack my luggage and come to the United States.
she wasn't the HR but somehow my CV got to her and my experience was relevant to the department she's heading, she did a mini interview for me to feel my weight right on the phone. She asked how much I was willing to take as salary I mentioned but her response to me suggested I fumbled on that part. so I took my mind of it and continued with my blind firing.
My people , May 2021, I received an email from the organization's HR for a virtual 45 min interview. I had 3-4 days to prepare. I prepared like it was an interview to enter Heaven. I have never prepared for interview like that in my life. The d-day came, 45mins of virtual interview was like 5mins. Adequate preparation paid off really well. And of course God was 100% in control . I was asked how much I'm willing to take. I mentioned and there was no arguments/negotiations. 3weeks after the interview, I got an offer beyond my surprise. This included a very comprehensive HMO for wife and four kids.
I resumed the job July 2021 with probationary period of 6 months. The 6 months will be ticked this January 2022. Guess what? Another surprise that happened.
December 31st 2021, I received a promotion letter while still on probation. I am dazed till now.
Let me also add that it's a remote job. I work right from inside my house with my boxers.Lol

My fellow Nigerians job hunting, I understand the pains you're going through. The pains of rejections, the pains of failing that interview, The pains of joblessness itself. The pains of being broke. I have been through it. Please don't give up, Don't relent. Trust the process, and carry God along. Change strategies, take certifications, do volunteer jobs, you can as well take unpaid internship jobs and be intentional about making the best of the experience. And don't forget, let your CV be a verb and express quantifiable results you achieved.

3 Likes

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Matthewdan(m): 3:31pm On May 22, 2022
Nigerians are too lazy to read dz days no time

Try to dae summarise

4 Likes

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 12:57pm On May 23, 2022
I'll start changing my marketing strategies too.

Lots of us are using one strategy for years and wishing for a change.

A body will continue to remain in a state of motion/rest, unless acted upon by an external force.

8 Likes

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Rastaramsey(m): 12:57pm On May 23, 2022
This your story long but nothing spoil....
Thank God you highlighted the fact that job seekers should start changing their strategies.....

Congratulations BRO

2 Likes

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by pheelhip(m): 12:57pm On May 23, 2022
Great
Thanks for sharing your Job Hunt Experiences
While I'm holding on to this "And don't forget, let your CV be a verb and express quantifiable results you achieved"

Congratulations

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Skillsnigeria: 12:58pm On May 23, 2022
Hmmm
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by meritadavize1(m): 12:58pm On May 23, 2022
H
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by NapoleonHill: 12:58pm On May 23, 2022
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Stevenson20: 12:59pm On May 23, 2022
Kudos @Op
I don't even know where my Certificates and CV are, sometimes I dey forget the course I studied cos I've moved on since grin grin
9ja I hail thee.

4 Likes

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by seanwilliam(m): 12:59pm On May 23, 2022
How much is your salary now ??

1 Like

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Chibenze(m): 12:59pm On May 23, 2022
cool
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by money121(m): 12:59pm On May 23, 2022
Ok
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Kingpele(m): 12:59pm On May 23, 2022
Good luck to u dear and all legitimate hustlers not fraudsters and drug peddlers and Ritualists parading as hustlers..it's difficult to get just 1 out of 10 youths in this country that are hardworking like op..go outside u will see youths sitting in a bar insulting buharia up and down without providing any service to humanity but they will envy u ,if u drive pass them ...as if u are the reason they are lazy..

1 Like

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by ceejay80s(m): 1:00pm On May 23, 2022
if na all this ur long epistle I go read befor I get work....instead make I remain jobless,
eye sef don dey pain me for episode 1

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 23, 2022
Great news. You no tell us how much you are now earning
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by atobs4real(m): 1:01pm On May 23, 2022
it works but .....
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Tabithazen(f): 1:04pm On May 23, 2022
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. ''Earl Nightingale"

1 Like

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 23, 2022
Your achievement is loud bro.

My girlfriend operates on this frequency too, she basically sleeps on her computer.

Updating CV, looking for a job for myself and herself- the girl carry oil for head since I met her na so so ahead ahead

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Awesomeking: 1:15pm On May 23, 2022
This kind of post is exactly what I need now, thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Slynation(m): 1:16pm On May 23, 2022
This is so interesting...I'm very happy for you

1 Like

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by nesgeeek(m): 1:17pm On May 23, 2022
your article is too lengthy.
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by pmc01(m): 1:18pm On May 23, 2022
Theknowledge:
Your achievement is loud bro.

My girlfriend operates on this frequency too, she basically sleeps on her computer.

Updating CV, looking for a job for myself and herself- the girl carry oil for head since I met her na so so ahead ahead

And you don review yourself say you worth her troubles?

6 Likes

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Offpoint1: 1:19pm On May 23, 2022
s
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by victor175(m): 1:26pm On May 23, 2022
It was a journey of no relenting for you. I’m happy all your efforts and hardwork paid off
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Simeon88(m): 1:30pm On May 23, 2022
Congratulations bro
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by amiibaby(f): 1:41pm On May 23, 2022
Please can u help me updatemy CV. Am currently jobless
engray:
EPISODE 4
My people , May 2021, I received an email from the organization's HR for a virtual 45 min interview. I had 3-4 days to prepare. I prepared like it was an interview to enter Heaven. I have never prepared for interview like that in my life. The d-day came, 45mins of virtual interview was like 5mins. Adequate preparation paid off really well. And of course God was 100% in control. I was asked how much I'm willing to take. I mentioned and there was no arguments/negotiations. 3weeks after the interview, I got an offer beyond my surprise. This included a very comprehensive HMO for wife and four kids.

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Coolbanke: 1:43pm On May 23, 2022
Good one O.P

I learnt a thing or two from Ur write up

As a final year student without any strong
financial backbone to learn a skill and with 'loads of free time' due to the ongoing ASUU strike, I decided to go round KD job hunting (with keen interest in my field of study). This is to atleast get busy and also to be well prepared (financially) when school resumes.

Well, I finally got a place that gave me false hope as I was invited for an interview. Everything seemed to be going smoothly, then the question "how much are u willing to take home".

I guess I fumbled as I naively told the manager that it is the decision of the firm. He promised to get back to me

Well, it's over a month now and I'm still looking for a job... Too bad

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hi There, Please Rate How Helpful Your Bank Is In The Comment Section. / Job Offer In Lagos N200k Or Outside Lagos N200k / Lekoil Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.