Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,696 members, 7,955,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:23 AM

Phd or MBA? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Phd or MBA? (2573 Views)

Poll: I have B.Eng.(Computer Engineering). then worked as insurance marketer(agent) for may be three years (No IT work Exp yet, no IT certification yet). Now in uk(London) doing MSc in IT(University of wales institute cardiff). i want to come back (Nig) after g

Choice: 50% (3 votes)
Choice: 50% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Phd Or CIPM? / Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD / PhD or A Job With A Federal Government Agency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phd or MBA? by SpeedGod: 10:47am On Jul 16, 2011
Uuuu
Re: Phd or MBA? by chamber2(m): 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2011
Can you afford the MBA now and where do you want to get the MBA? Work experience is better than all these degrees, unless you want to teach.
Re: Phd or MBA? by AjanleKoko: 10:13pm On Jul 16, 2011
Who's paying for all these degrees?
You could have easily set up your own IT company in Nigeria, with the money you've spent so far, or are planning to spend getting a Phd or MBA undecided

Just go and find out which IT field is in the highest demand, get certified, and start looking for work exp, forget all these useless degrees.
Re: Phd or MBA? by Pata1: 11:08am On Jul 17, 2011
o
Re: Phd or MBA? by SpeedGod: 3:32pm On Jul 17, 2011
thanks AjanleKoko and pata1. i have not spent money on Mba or phd yet. I hope to get IT job here in the UK when i finish my MSc IT by the grace of God.however, i am scared of coming back to naija to look for work which i did for a long time before i travelled hence the thought of phd or MBA.
i will do some IT certifications this year. Then about going to india, i will also consider it.  just scared of coming back and not be gainfully employed. i expect your comments. thanks.
Re: Phd or MBA? by davmor(m): 6:24pm On Jul 17, 2011
@Pata1, I part with you. Thank you for your directs. I want to ask, can an O'Level holder from Nigeria do the same Telecoms Diploma courses in India, and what is the possible processes?
Re: Phd or MBA? by Pata1: 9:09pm On Jul 17, 2011
o
Re: Phd or MBA? by SpeedGod: 11:56pm On Jul 17, 2011
Thank you, pata1. my email:
speed_god13@yahoo.com
Re: Phd or MBA? by davmor(m): 9:40am On Jul 18, 2011
So confidential, thank you so much Pata1. I appreciate your elaboration basically on the O'Level. My e-mail is: davi_heroricman@yahoo.com.
Re: Phd or MBA? by cau: 1:42pm On Jul 23, 2011
SpeedGod:

I have B.Eng.(Computer Engineering). then worked as insurance marketer(agent) for may be three years (No IT work Exp yet, no IT certification yet). Now in uk(London) doing MSc in IT(University of wales institute cardiff). i want to come back (Nig) after graduation, if i don't get IT job here. Can't get post study work visa by the time i graduate. Now, because i want to be able to get an IT job in Nig if i comeback, i am considering doing MBA or phd immediately i finish MSc IT. i am 30 this year. please, advise me, don't blame me.

In as much as having work experience is good, you cannot rule out the benefits and need for having degrees whether in the Nigerian labour market or abroad. I have seen people with many years of experience without much degrees but still get good jobs but  the fact is that there is a limit/bar in which they cannot exceed but this depends on the industry. I have seen people with NO experience at all but  then they also  get high profile jobs based on their degrees.

If you really want to go for a Phd in computer engineering or IT, personally i would say that it makes no sense if you would return back to Nigeria. But certainly there are many jobs abroad in engineering field in which you cannot even dream of getting if you dont have a Phd. Many years of experience would amount to nothing.

A good example ( no sense of pride at all)  I have had the privilege of working in Bell Labs , the R&grin arm of Alcatel Lucent in Germany, honestly speaking
without a Phd in Computer Science, or Signal Processing, Communication Engineering etc you cant dream of working there, 20 yrs experience in MTN or Glo or having 20 IT certifications is absolutely of no use there. Infact many of the guys i met there don't even know about all these IT certifications, they are all interested in research, filling of patents, etc  these are guys in there late 20 and early 30s . These PhD guys do core research work and they are in high demand all over Germany, and guess what; even with all the racism, guys with immigrant background having  Phd from German Universities do get jobs at least to some extent.

So follow your passion, seeking advice is good but in the end, you absolutely know what you want more than anyone else.   Spending  money doing a Phd in engineering with the hope of going  back to settle in Nigeria is not worth it as far as I am concerned, except you would like to be a lecturer.
Re: Phd or MBA? by SpeedGod: 1:53pm On Jul 23, 2011
God bless u, cau.
Re: Phd or MBA? by SpeedGod: 2:05pm On Jul 23, 2011
CAU, please,can u send me your email address through speed_god13@yahoo.com.
Re: Phd or MBA? by pluto04(m): 5:04pm On Jul 23, 2011
I didn't know that Computer Engineering graduates also find it difficult to get work even if it is not well paying. Why did you do the masters? What do you hope to achieve with it? You must have got a goal before you embarked on the masters.

Every work experience is relevant in the field of IT if you package it well and clearly identify the transferable skills. If you're already in in the UK doing Masters, do you currently do holiday jobs? What field? Even your experience in Insurance Marketing can be packaged for IT Sales and Marketing that can be very lucrative.  However, you'll still want to relevant IT certifications. For example if you want to sell networking devices, a CCNA might be useful.  A CEH might be useful for selling IT Security services. All the foregoing are just examples. At the end of the day, you're the only one that can determine what direction you want to take your career and what additional qualifications you need to achieve that.
Re: Phd or MBA? by UpDates1(m): 9:05am On Jul 25, 2011
sad sad sad
Re: Phd or MBA? by candylips(m): 4:25pm On Jul 25, 2011
do a PHD only if you love research.

otherwise get out there and start looking for a job fast
Re: Phd or MBA? by SpeedGod: 5:30pm On Jul 25, 2011
Cau. please, can you show or give me your contact, i might need more information from you.
speed_god13@yahoo.com .Thanks for your comment.God bless you.

(1) (Reply)

Odua Scholarship / What Question Do They Ask In Law Interviews ? / Nigerian Merchant Marine Massive Recruitment!!! Now On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.