Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection (4139 Views)

Tips On How To Speed Up A Slow Computer. / How To Configure Dail-up Connection Using Starcoms Modern / Dial Up Connection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection by wildcat(f): 11:24pm On Feb 20, 2006
I didn't know exactly where this topic would fit. Well, I'm on an extremely low budget, so I had to switch back to a dial-up-connection and it's slow as in really so, is there something I can do to make it bearable?
Re: How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection by k9(m): 11:14pm On Feb 23, 2006
You can do a search for the terms "internet (turbo) accelator" I don't know if they work for real or are just hype to get money off you. Guess you'll have 2 research and make your own conslusions. I briefly used one called Linkserve Turbo. It was free then during the launch, dunno if it still is, and i didnt use it long enough to decide if it worked. I still have a copy of the setup file on my system if you cant find a free one online
Re: How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection by sbucareer(f): 2:54am On Feb 24, 2006

Let me let you into a secret, back in middle 90's when I used dial-up modem connection to hook up my IBM Model 5150 to the Internet. I used Netscape as my ISP. I have to buy cards for long distance call and program it into my Windows 95 dialup rules in the control panel to connect to internet.

Then I must have guessed my modem wasn't V.90 etc. Like every other thing in life, you NEVER get to that 56Kbps connection the modem was advertised to connect up to. Instead what you get is 14.4 kbps. 14 kilobytes per second translates into a transmission or receiving rate of approximately 1600 bytes per second.

I never noticed it till one day, just by chance I was watching the dialling and authentication and connecting messages the modem was throwing up and I saw connecting at 14.4kbps to Netscape network . I said to myself what a chick, I disconnected and tried again it connected me at 28.3kps. I was a little bit happy and decided to try again. Went the connection message came, it says connected to Netscape at 41.8kbps I was happy and my internet experience was comforting.

After that issues, I made it a point of duty to check my connection rate while using modem connection. The only snag was that I have to keep disconnecting and connecting till I get a connection of 41.8kps.

The software k9 is saving might be the ones that helps you with minimum effort to connect to your ISP to at least more than 40kps. I have NEVER known anyone connected at 56Kbps, which is what is written on the bloody modems. Even at 56kps you computer is still slow to the rich multimedia driven-web application out there. To check your mail from yahoo will be trouble, imagine downloading all that graphics infront of yahoo home page.

I hope situation change for you to move up from dial up modem connection.
Re: How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection by luridguy(m): 10:56pm On Feb 24, 2006
sbucareer:

I hope situation change for you to move up from dial up modem connection.

amen ooooooo
Re: How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection by r00t: 6:49pm On Feb 28, 2006
actually sbucareer, the max a dialup modem can connect is 56kiloBITS per second. This translates into about 7 kilobytes per second, which is what my dial up modem used to run at.
Re: How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection by sbucareer(f): 7:36pm On Feb 28, 2006

That is too bad for you, you are actually the first person that can only get 7kbps using modem, that is about 7 characters per second your connection can download. If you have 1000 characters in a web page it will take you 2.3 minutes to download the page that is so slow

Here is the maths

it takes 1sec to download 7bits
how much will it take [i]x[/i]secs to download 1000bits

cross multiply and find x which is 2.3 minutes

Re: How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection by AbujaBoy(m): 7:20am On Mar 01, 2006
Dialup is obsolete, you should consider getting a faster connection, its bloated. You can get a good connection for about the same price if you search well enough.
Re: How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection by r00t: 9:30pm On Mar 02, 2006
its seems you dont know the difference between a byte and a kilobyte sbucareer. 8 bits = a byte. 1 byte = 1 character. 1 kilobyte = 1024 characters. 7 kilobytes = 7168 characters a second. Hope that helps.
Re: How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection by cleokab: 8:07pm On Mar 20, 2006
Re: How To Speed Up My Dial-up Connection by uthamaputi: 10:34am On Nov 16, 2011
Ok i will help you to increase the speed of the internet,You can visit the site dialupnetworkingtips.com you can get the tips there and use it, It will increase the internet speed, You can check speed of the internet at here www.scanmyspeed.com

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sold Acer Nitro 5 and SOLLenovo Legion y520 4gig dedicated Gaming Laptop(2pcs) / Chain Link Fencing & Barb Wire Company / Some Useful Hacking Tools For Windows Pc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.