Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,013 members, 7,821,552 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? (1704 Views)

My Tech Journey: Noob To Noggler (google) In One Year. / My Very Short Startup Journey And How It Ended / How To Become A Software Engineer Even Without A University Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Lampert505(m): 11:30am On Jun 01, 2022
I don’t really think I’m prepared mentally for Nigerian university stress and their wahala, so I’m literally seeking people’s advice on what I should do,I love tech and I’m pursuing that as my career but someone said not having a degree will jeopardize my chances Of getting a job, I need y’all advise on what I should do,

Tho,I’m planning to get into a reputable tech hub in Lagos instead of university, I dunno how bad that decision is, help a bro pls
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 01, 2022
Join the tech hub, degrees can come later through part time in the future if you want.

4 Likes

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by taiwoola989: 12:43pm On Jun 01, 2022
Bro, I am a university half graduate, the reason is becus my result is not ye approved by senate becos of ASUU strike, after i spent 6 years for a 4 years course. And after that not even sure if my nysc is possible again this year. It very okay to go into tech and you can earn millions with the skills unlike going to school and after that nothing to show up for it only a bsc certificate that will earn you nothing up to a millin or even become healthy. I wish i could send you a voicenote to express how I feel right now. But thank for the business i am doing now, network marketing which I have been train skills and after ward i earn good income evry month online while building my network marketing business

1 Like

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by denvers: 12:56pm On Jun 01, 2022
You could get into a tech hub and at the same time get admission in a university,
Go to school for enlightenment.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by airsaylongcome: 1:26pm On Jun 01, 2022
taiwoola989:
Bro, I am a university half graduate, the reason is becus my result is not ye approved by senate becos of ASUU strike, after i spent 6 years for a 4 years course. And after that not even sure if my nysc is possible again this year. It very okay to go into tech and you can earn millions with the skills unlike going to school and after that nothing to show up for it only a bsc certificate that will earn you nothing up to a millin or even become healthy. I wish i could send you a voicenote to express how I feel right now. But thank for the business i am doing now, network marketing which I have been train skills and after ward i earn good income evry month online while building my network marketing business

You should not have gone to school. When ASUU calls of the strike, tell your university to burn your certificate that you don't need it as it cannot earn you up to a million naira.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by qtguru(m): 1:44pm On Jun 01, 2022
truthsayer009:
Join the tech hub, degrees can come later through part time in the future if you want.

Facts
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:59pm On Jun 01, 2022
airsaylongcome:

You should not have gone to school. When ASUU calls of the strike, tell your university to burn your certificate that you don't need it as it cannot earn you up to a million naira.
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by spartan117(m): 2:01pm On Jun 01, 2022
If you go through LinkedIn, indeed and other job listing platforms you will realise that many tech jobs list a CS degree or any related field of study as one of the job requirements. Some even list MS degrees.

It's possible to get a tech job without a university degree, However there's no doubt that a university degree is still very relevant to securing a job.

I attended a bootcamp and got a job immediately after graduation and one of the requirements before I was admitted to the bootcamp was my university degree as well as NYSC discharge or exemption certificate.

So certificates are still important, infact you can't work as a full time staff in many big corporate organisations in Nigeria without an NYSC certificate. And you can't get an NYSC certificate without your degree certificate.

Now there are some organisations (even some big tech orgs) that don't really care about university certificates and hire people with high school certificates abroad. But the reality is that most do care.

I'll advise you to work on getting a relevant 1st degree CS certificate or an equivalent part-time while you learn programming at the hub, you'll need both.

4 Likes

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by SPTruth: 2:08pm On Jun 01, 2022
A degree especially a Computer Science or Software Engineering degree is actually very important, it can open some doors for you. You can still succeed in tecj without the degree, but be ready to work hard.

2 Likes

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by airsaylongcome: 2:42pm On Jun 01, 2022
I always laugh hard when people mention successful school dropouts like Gates and Zuckerberg. These ones dropped out from some of the most challenging universities to get admitted into. And they were high fliers before they dropped out. You wey no get straight A for WAEC and dey struggle with JAMB na hin wan follow drop out. For every Gates or Zuckerberg there a thousands of failed dropouts.

Tech hubs and boot camps are not rehabilitation centres for dundees

5 Likes

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Hannania(m): 3:07pm On Jun 01, 2022
Lampert505:
I don’t really think I’m prepared mentally for Nigerian university stress and their wahala, so I’m literally seeking people’s advice on what I should do, I love tech and I’m pursuing that as my career but someone said not having a degree will jeopardize my chances Of getting a job, I need y’all advise on what I should do,

Tho, I’m planning to get into a reputable tech hub in Lagos instead of university, I dunno how bad that decision is, help a bro pls
If you have the funds, attend Afe Babalola or Covenant and study computer science or Computer Engineering. Any other choice is a waste of your time rather than building your skills.

If ASUU was not the case, Unlilag, OAU and FUTMinna would have been great.

Covenant and Unilag students are the majority you'd see working for Big tech companies. 99% of them started doing so from undergradute days as internships before getting full-time offers. That's because they have communities that help them foster their careers, and hit jackpot offers. Go on LinkedIn and see for yourself.

So if you can't attend a private school, please enroll to a Bootcamp and when tech pays off, there are part-time online degrees in CS you can do.

Attending Federal Universities now has 1.5yrs automatically added.

1 Like

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by stanliwise(m): 6:01pm On Jun 01, 2022
Lampert505:
I don’t really think I’m prepared mentally for Nigerian university stress and their wahala, so I’m literally seeking people’s advice on what I should do,I love tech and I’m pursuing that as my career but someone said not having a degree will jeopardize my chances Of getting a job, I need y’all advise on what I should do,

Tho,I’m planning to get into a reputable tech hub in Lagos instead of university, I dunno how bad that decision is, help a bro pls

You’re young, go get a degree. It is much harder later in life when money, career and family is all you would care about.

1 Like

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Sacred007: 6:34pm On Jun 01, 2022
taiwoola989:

neolife people spotted.

avoid them.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Lampert505(m): 6:51pm On Jun 01, 2022
I really appreciate, thank you

stanliwise:

You’re young, go get a degree. It is much harder later in life when money, career and family is all you would care about.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Lampert505(m): 6:59pm On Jun 01, 2022
Nice to hear you’re doing good after all the stress you’ve been through

What are you urging me to do rn now bro?

taiwoola989:
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Lampert505(m): 7:03pm On Jun 01, 2022
Thanks bro, you wouldn’t know how much this your comment has lifted the burden in my heart

denvers:
You could get into a tech hub and at the same time get admission in a university,
Go to school for enlightenment.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Lampert505(m): 7:10pm On Jun 01, 2022
I’m overwhelmed and glad by your enlightened contribution, I’d say I’m jus being bothered by how much I’ve seen undergraduate suffer in Nigeria and I jus have this feelings that I might not be able to cope with that lol, But I think I’m convinced with your comment Sir,I’ll work towards, btw is there a way to get to you so as to know the bootcamp you mentioned earlier boss?

spartan117:
If you go through LinkedIn, indeed and other job listing platforms you will realise that many tech jobs list a CS degree or any related field of study as one of the job requirements. Some even list MS degrees.

It's possible to get a tech job without a university degree, However there's no doubt that a university degree is still very relevant to securing a job.

I attended a bootcamp and got a job immediately after graduation and one of the requirements before I was admitted to the bootcamp was my university degree as well as NYSC discharge or exemption certificate.

So certificates are still important, infact you can't work as a full time staff in many big corporate organisations in Nigeria without an NYSC certificate. And you can't get an NYSC certificate without your degree certificate.

Now there are some organisations (even some big tech orgs) that don't really care about university certificates and hire people with high school certificates abroad. But the reality is that most do care.

I'll advise you to work on getting a relevant 1st degree CS certificate or an equivalent part-time while you learn programming at the hub, you'll need both.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Lampert505(m): 7:11pm On Jun 01, 2022
K

airsaylongcome:
I always laugh hard when people mention successful school dropouts like Gates and Zuckerberg. These ones dropped out from some of the most challenging universities to get admitted into. And they were high fliers before they dropped out. You wey no get straight A for WAEC and dey struggle with JAMB na hin wan follow drop out. For every Gates or Zuckerberg there a thousands of failed dropouts.

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by kennethfranc(m): 7:30pm On Jun 01, 2022
Lampert505:
I’m overwhelmed and glad by your enlightened contribution, I’d say I’m jus being bothered by how much I’ve seen undergraduate suffer in Nigeria and I jus have this feelings that I might not be able to cope with that lol, But I think I’m convinced with your comment Sir,I’ll work towards, btw is there a way to get to you so as to know the bootcamp you mentioned earlier boss?

If you're really serious you can check out this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/7106890/software-engineering-journey-alx-africa

The registration ends tomorrow for this cohort/batch.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by stanliwise(m): 7:41pm On Jun 01, 2022
Lampert505:
I really appreciate, thank you

Meanwhile making tech your hobbies or a skill is not a bad idea. Schooling wouldn’t affect you too much. Just focus on the two. I am backend web developer, this Same technique worked for me
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by airsaylongcome: 8:11pm On Jun 01, 2022
Lampert505:
K

Take your K and keep it in your back pocket. I don't need it.

Okay?

1 Like

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Anonime1105(m): 11:41am On Jun 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

As usual always brutal grin grin
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by airsaylongcome: 11:50am On Jun 02, 2022
Anonime1105:

As usual always brutal grin grin

I really have strong opinions about it. I dropped out from school too. For like 3 years before my mom bundled me back to school. Going back to school was the singular best decision I made. The suffer and discrimination non-graduates face especially in this country is brutal

1 Like

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 02, 2022
Lampert505:

It's different strokes for different folks bro. If you have the circumstances to get a degree, go grab it. It doesn't matter the course. I know individuals who have degrees in music, sociology, health and they're in IT. The fact that a studied a course doesn't mean it must be your career in life. If your interest is also in studying an IT program, that's equally fine and beneficial.

If you are not able to get a degree please do not be discouraged. We have those without a degree and also making great strides in the field.

What I don't like though is comparison. Don't say this person is a dropout and so a degree is not necessary, you are not that person and that person is not you.

Please examine your circumstances and create a path for your self. Believe in yourself, be motivated, be inspired, get there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Anonime1105(m): 2:04pm On Jun 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I really have strong opinions about it. I dropped out from school too. For like 3 years before my mom bundled me back to school. Going back to school was the singular best decision I made. The suffer and discrimination non-graduates face especially in this country is brutal

100% with you boss.
If he has the resources go to school why not make the best use of it?
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by airsaylongcome: 2:28pm On Jun 02, 2022
Anonime1105:

100% with you boss.
If he has the resources go to school why not make the best use of it?

I think IT should become a very structured profession like medicine. In the past, maybe 200-250years ago, you didn't need to go to medical school to become a surgeon. That's because surgery is like a craft, it's a skill much like a butcher or a mechanic today. (And this is by no means attempting to degrade surgery or mechanics or butchers). Surgeons in the past was seen as a profession for the lesser class. Until surgeons were made to attend Universities and first train to be physicians first before specializing in Surgery. Immediately quackery went down because they had to go and learn Human Anatomy which is the core foundation of Human Surgery. Computing needs to adopt this line of study as well where practitioners attend proper University training to learn and understand the fundamental and underlying concepts before going off to specialize in whatever Computing sub-specialty they prefer. It needs to be a regulated profession.

1 Like

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Anonime1105(m): 2:41pm On Jun 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I think IT should become a very structured profession like medicine. In the past, maybe 200-250years ago, you didn't need to go to medical school to become a surgeon. That's because surgery is like a craft, it's a skill much like a butcher or a mechanic today. (And this is by no means attempting to degrade surgery or mechanics or butchers). Surgeons in the past was seen as a profession for the lesser class. Until surgeons were made to attend Universities and first train to be physicians first before specializing in Surgery. Immediately quackery went down because they had to go and learn Human Anatomy which is the core foundation of Human Surgery. Computing needs to adopt this line of study as well where practitioners attend proper University training to learn and understand the fundamental and underlying concepts before going off to specialize in whatever Computing sub-specialty they prefer. It needs to be a regulated profession.

� Is that not equivalent to saying "non CS graduates should not be allowed to practice in the field?"

I understand the knowledge gained while studying for a CS degree is very important but I believe it can be acquired outside the conventional schooling system, that's why companies drill potential employees for knowledge on DSA, design patterns etc.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by airsaylongcome: 2:46pm On Jun 02, 2022
Anonime1105:

� Is that not equivalent to saying "non CS graduates should not be allowed to practice in the field?"

I understand the knowledge gained while studying for a CS degree is very important but I believe it can be acquired outside the conventional schooling system, that's why companies drill potential employees for knowledge on DSA, design patterns etc.

No, it's not ruling out non-Computing grads. Those, can undergo a rigorous FORMAL training like in Accounting. You have a lot of non-Accounting majors, especially Engineers in Accounting. They all had to formally train and sit for a Chartered Accountant exam whether that is ACCA or ICAN or ICAEW.

You can also become an accountant without a university degree by undergoing FORMAL vocational training through the ATS to ICAN route.

So maybe my previous comment wasn't quite clear on this. But this would be my preferred option. University degree, or FORMAL, REGULATED vocational training.

PS: If you asked me personally though, I would say Computing for Computing grads but I'm sure my head will be hanging on that "Welcome to Abuja" stand if I dare say that grin

1 Like

Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:03pm On Jun 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

No, it's not ruling out non-Computing grads. Those, can undergo a rigorous FORMAL training like in Accounting. You have a lot of non-Accounting majors, especially Engineers in Accounting. They all had to formally train and sit for a Chartered Accountant exam whether that is ACCA or ICAN or ICAEW.

You can also become an accountant without a university degree by undergoing FORMAL vocational training through the ATS to ICAN route.

So maybe my previous comment wasn't quite clear on this. But this would be my preferred option. University degree, or FORMAL, REGULATED vocational training.

PS: If you asked me personally though, I would say Computing for Computing grads but I'm sure my head will be hanging on that "Welcome to Abuja" stand if I dare say that grin

They tried this in the USA though they had an engineering exam for software engineers but cancelled it after only like 100 people wrote it. With IT it's gonna be difficult to regulate cause of the amount of depth and breadth there is. Theres just too many fields and technologies.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by airsaylongcome: 5:48pm On Jun 02, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

They tried this in the USA though they had an engineering exam for software engineers but cancelled it after only like 100 people wrote it. With IT it's gonna be difficult to regulate cause of the amount of depth and breadth there is. Theres just too many fields and technologies.

Yes, it has proven difficult but it's because the profession hasn't seen the need to. Accounting has many fields and sub-specialty. Surgery itself has many sub fields an specialty. And they are all regulated and "centralised". It can happen in IT as well. But the profession hasn't seen a need for it yet. Hopefully in time they will get all of that sorted.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:05pm On Jun 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Yes, it has proven difficult but it's because the profession hasn't seen the need to. Accounting has many fields and sub-specialty. Surgery itself has many sub fields an specialty. And they are all regulated and "centralised". It can happen in IT as well. But the profession hasn't seen a need for it yet. Hopefully in time they will get all of that sorted.

Yeah definitely especially as software becomes a super integral part of our lives and errors could lead to loss of lives or severe damages.
Re: Is University Degree Really Important For Tech Journey And Getting A Job? by Anonime1105(m): 10:08pm On Jun 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I get your point now, emphasis on the FORMAL TRAINING!

@the last paragraph, make them no hear you o! cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reward Yourself With A Storyline For A Game / Free Project Topics, Cheap Program And Materials For Computer Science Students / Good Programmer/website Designer/app Developer Needed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.