Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,391 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 (83449 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by debosky(m): 4:19pm On Jul 26, 2011
coogar:

what glory are we talking about if the quality of football is substandard?
debosky, argue with me like you do with your supervisior, abeg. . . . .i need you at your sharpest this hour.
stop raising watery points.

The quality of footie is only part of the appeal - the glory of winning with your national team is peerless, on the World Stage.

the frequency and the multicultural is the single most important factor why the champions league is better. . . .the european champions league surpassed the world cup when it was refurbished, more money invested in it with superb coverage. the quality of football is peerless and more teams participate in it than the world cup.

Don't confuse your enjoyment of those competitions with them being the pinnacle. There is no greater prize in World Football beyond the World Cup.

where did you get this fact? can you show me where it's written the champs league is the pinnacle? of course, messi will miss it because like i said, everyone expects players from brazil, argentina, germany, italy, etc to boss world cup competitions. if you are the best player of any of these countries, it is expected of you to win a world cup. now just imagine messi was born in switzerland for a second, would you expect him to win a world cup?

The issue is not expecting him to win the WC - if he can't win the WC, he is automatically not in the class of the VERY BEST. The VERY BEST win World Cups.

whoever mentioned nations cup as a missing medal in george weah's portfolio? no one could do that because we all know liberia is never a footballing country. kanu - africa's greatest football ambassador will never be judged for not having won a world cup. no one expects an african country to boss the world cup. if kanu was from brazil, the media would have crucified him for not winning it. the saying goes - to whom much is given(country of birth), much is expected.

Despite Weah's incredible success at club level, no matter how much he tried, success couldn't be brought to the Liberian national team. Weah is seen as the patron saint of The Lone Stars, having not only played and coached them, and spent upwards of $2 million to help finance their quest for glory. grin

When you compare like with like the differences appear - as you say, all the best players play for the best clubs. So what sets them apart? Producing the same genius to propel their national teams to victory - that is what marks out the VERY best.

totti is not in the same class as messi. he's blessed & moderately gifted - not as the same as messi. the moneybags never looked totti's way because there were better players than totti ready to jump at the opportunity of playing for big clubs. kaka, bergkamp, zidane, rivaldo, etc were better "number 10s" than totti and they were all snapped by big clubs. . . .who is totti? if madrid had splashed the same amount they did on zidane on totti, you think roma's president won't put totti on his back and dash to madrid?

Agreed, but there remains a possibility that an excellent player chooses to remain in his home club which isn't a big one. That is the point I was making.

so setting up a goal that won the world cup now means cesc was instrumental? grin grin grin grin if the others were duds, would spain have even reached the final for cesc to set up a goal that won the world cup? na assist you dey praise like this? you are a disgrace to all arsenal fans. . . .the burden still rested on the shoulders of iniesta putting it into the net. . . .iniesta won the world cup, not cesc!!! cesc could have laid 150 of that kind of passes that night with none of them resulting directly to a goal. . . .so where is this achievement you keep talking about? you are a twunt!

This is silly - Cesc provided the pass that won the WC, and that means he was instrumental to that goal being scored. Being instrumental does not mean he single-handedly delivered the trophy. Learn to recognise the distinction. I never said Cesc won the cup alone, I said he was instrumental.

that will be the same roberto baggio that was the star of italia 90 and a star of usa 94. putting teams away like it was getting out of fashion until brazil forced them into the lottery of a penalty shoot-out! it was cesc's brilliance at crucial moments that gifted messi the all important first goal at camp nou last season! grin cheesy grin crucial moments indeed. . . . .

Baggio couldn't deliver in a WC final - Cesc did. That is incontrovertible.

weirdly, cesc's crucial moments have not win a rusty penny in 6 seasons. . . . grin cheesy grin

Just as the crucial moments from all the useless English players has not won a rusty penny since the 60's grin

debosky, i didn't want to join in this debate before until the paragraph that set you for the fall.
argue intelligently on this thread. we are tolerant to let you guys come and have fun here. . . . we all do it but i implore y'all to do it intelligently and with credible facts otherwise. . . . . .

You haven't disputed anything I've said - you've simply tried and failed to run off track.

The winning WC is the pinnacle of footballing achievement - Cesc has won that title while Hargo will never win it.

Instead of wasting my time, make DVDs of his youtube performances and go and market them to clubs on his behalf.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 4:58pm On Jul 26, 2011
debosky:

The quality of footie is only part of the appeal - the glory of winning with your national team is peerless, on the World Stage.

if the quality is better, i don't see how the glory of winning something quality will not be better than the substandard quality.
you are not arguing like the debosky i know - probably because you are barking a wrong tree. grin
if the quality of my job is better than yours. . . .mastering that job will give me more glory than yours - it's simple logic.

Don't confuse your enjoyment of those competitions with them being the pinnacle. There is no greater prize in World Football beyond the World Cup.

false!
the world cup is a marathon, the champions league is a sprint. . . . .
now tell me, which has more quality. . . .more glory. . . .more memorable!

The issue is not expecting him to win the WC - if he can't win the WC, he is automatically not in the class of the VERY BEST. The VERY BEST win World Cups.

the beauty of it is - these days, you don't have to win a world cup to become the best player on the planet.

Despite Weah's incredible success at club level, no matter how much he tried, success couldn't be brought to the Liberian national team. Weah is seen as the patron saint of The Lone Stars, having not only played and coached them, and spent upwards of $2 million to help finance their quest for glory.  grin

how does this criticize george weah?

When you compare like with like the differences appear - as you say, all the best players play for the best clubs. So what sets them apart? Producing the same genius to propel their national teams to victory - that is what marks out the VERY best.

the national team has to be a big football nation in the first place. . . . .this is why van basten, platini, cryuff couldn't win the world cup in spite of their winning ballon d'or thrice in their respective careers. the country of birth has to be solid for a player to produce his ingenuity in his club for his national team.

in a nutshell, if we have 2 equally gifted players with one playing for brazil and the other playing for northern ireland. . . . the player from brazil has more chances of winning the world cup than his counterpart from belfast!
this is the logic!

Agreed, but there remains a possibility that an excellent player chooses to remain in his home club which isn't a big one. That is the point I was making.

cite one example!
maldini? his ac milan have won 7 champs league, countless league titles, etc. . . .where else would he go to?
scholes-giggs? man utd is the most successful club in all the english speaking countries in the world. . .where else would they go?
who else? del piero? his bottom ceiling is lower than players like messi, cristiano, fat ronaldo, etc so the big clubs did not sniff his bum.

This is silly - Cesc provided the pass that won the WC, and that means he was instrumental to that goal being scored. Being instrumental does not mean he single-handedly delivered the trophy. Learn to recognise the distinction. I never said Cesc won the cup alone, I said he was instrumental.

cesc owed that world cup to being a spanish citizen than his football brilliance. spain don't need cesc, cesc needs spain!! you can't say that about the other world cup winners or players that have won it. your logic is saying cesc has achieved more than messi? really? debosky - can you back that up? grin

Baggio couldn't deliver in a WC final - Cesc did. That is incontrovertible.

messi's never played in a world cup final. . . cesc has. . . .cesc has achieved more? grin grin grin grin
i am sorry for this kind of logic.

Just as the crucial moments from all the useless English players has not won a rusty penny since the 60's grin

wrong analogy. none of the english players had 6 different attempts to win the world cup. . . .that would be 24 years - without factoring the years england didn't qualify. the most any player could get is 4 attempts. cesc had six!!
cesc had 6 consecutive attempts to win a league title. . . six! six!! six!!!

You haven't disputed anything I've said - you've simply tried and failed to run off track.
The winning WC is the pinnacle of footballing achievement - Cesc has won that title while Hargo will never win it.

i have disputed the basis of your argument: that the world cup is the pinnacle of football achievement! it is not!!!
had messi won it without the champions league, his criticism would be far worse than what he's getting now. as a player, you just have to win the champions league. it has eclipsed the world cup. because of money, players are actually more loyal to their clubs than their national teams so they give in their best for their clubs than the world cup where the football has been rubbish in the last 5 editions.

barcelona vs spain? who do you think would win? cheesy grin

Instead of wasting my time, make DVDs of his youtube performances and go and market them to clubs on  his behalf.

hargo has won more than cesc. 2 champs league, 4 bundesliga, 1 premier league. . . .
hell, hargo has done more than any player in the history of arsenal.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 6:51pm On Jul 26, 2011
All this rubbish arguments.can't wait for the season to start.although baba is messing with me not buying a midfielder oh.when was the last time we signed a midfielder? undecided
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 6:58pm On Jul 26, 2011
Mr_TA:

All this rubbish arguments.can't wait for the season to start.although baba is messing with me not buying a midfielder oh.when was the last time we signed a midfielder? undecided

3 weeks ago - ashley young. tongue
come to think of it - ashley young can do the scholesy role!!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by codedguy1(m): 7:13pm On Jul 26, 2011
@ debosky.

Who exactly do u support cesc or arsenal football club?

For u to be fellating on the fact that Cesc made a pass that led to the goal that won the WC for spain is disgraceful.

yes trophies were the main topic, but trophies won at club level is what was being refered to until u brought in the "cesc killer pass in the WC achievement"

So if Cesc eventually leaves to Barca and he starts winning trophies you will still be jumping about the whole place screaming that Cesc picked the ball from the ball boy and eventually his

throw in led to the goal that gave barca another cup. Abeg. shocked

Cesc is just lucky he is a spaniard
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 7:36pm On Jul 26, 2011
coogar:

3 weeks ago - ashley young. tongue
come to think of it - ashley young can do the scholesy role!!
No. Hopefully SAF bloods Paul Pogba this season.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by debosky(m): 11:07pm On Jul 26, 2011
Coded

The issue was comparing individual achievement of Cesc vs Hargo . . . .dunno why your fellow scumtwats are defending an ex Utd player either. cheesy
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 11:13pm On Jul 26, 2011
debosky:

Coded
The issue was comparing individual achievement of Cesc vs Hargo . . . .dunno why your fellow scumtwats are defending an ex Utd player either. cheesy

of which hargo's credentials shame cesc's
meanwhile, i need your onitsha support on ezeuche's thread. grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by mbulela: 10:24am On Jul 27, 2011
Mr_TA:

No. Hopefully SAF bloods Paul Pogba this season.

i doubt it else he would have joined them for pre season.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 10:28am On Jul 27, 2011
this is delightful for us transfer muppets. . .

david gill:

"So we've made three signings. We're looking at one more player to bring in.
Nothing's happening - nothing imminent - on that at the moment, but we'll see what happens when we get home.
We've made three signings. We're looking at one more player to bring in. "
We've been looking at a particular position and two or three players in that position, but nothing's imminent at the moment.

"The important point to understand, and Alex has made it clear, is that we need someone who's going to improve the quality of the squad.
We've got a great squad and to get into that squad you need to be a world-class player. There's no point, if you can't get the players you want, in buying someone for the sake of buying someone.
But you never know - there's often movement in August. I'm not sitting here saying I'm working on anything specific because I'm not, but that situation could change quickly when we get back to Carrington."
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 11:11am On Jul 27, 2011
mbulela:

i doubt it else he would have joined them for pre season.
SAF said he considered him for preseason but the preseason squad was getting too big and thought not to take him. but he was very close. I'll be surprised if he doesnt make atleast a handful of first team appearances this coming season.

I'm abit jealous of City signing Aguero. We really need a top midfielder to add to the squad.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 27, 2011
coogar:

this is delightful for us transfer muppets. . .

Who you calling muppet? grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by IYANGBALI: 5:33pm On Jul 27, 2011
pls what time is our friendly match with MLS AND BARCA?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 5:44pm On Jul 27, 2011
StarBoard:

Who you calling muppet? grin

its a general term for anyone itchy/excited about player transfer. . . .transfer muppets! grin
e.g. ruudie, starboard, coogar, chamotex.

the first thing these guys do is to log on the internet and check who fergie has signed. . . .cold chills till the 31st of august with questions. . . ."who are we going to sign?" "is sneijder coming?" "is maradona signing?".

to sad bastards, they see it as muppetry. . . .transfer muppetry but we love it. cheesy wink
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 6:44pm On Jul 27, 2011
Apparently,Hernandez suffered a concussion during training and had to spen the night in hospital. Pretty much ends his tour participation?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 9:45pm On Jul 27, 2011
^^ Vidic must have forgotten it was just pre-season training when he steam rolled him. cheesy
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 28, 2011
coogar:

its a general term for anyone itchy/excited about player transfer. . . .transfer muppets! grin
e.g. ruudie, starboard, coogar, chamotex.

the first thing these guys do is to log on the internet and check who fergie has signed. . . .cold chills till the 31st of august with questions. . . ."who are we going to sign?" "is sneijder coming?" "is maradona signing?".

to sad bastards, they see it as muppetry. . . .transfer muppetry but we love it. cheesy wink

LOL. . .
Guy,I still will be like Thomas. . .if we are supposed to bridge the gap with Barca, some of these signings aren't what we need.
Till we plug the hole in our middle,I still choose to be a muppet,by your definition.
Kindly add Mr. TA to that list too. . and mbulela.
If being muppets means worrying for the future of our dear club that we support,count me INNNN.
BTW,did i just read a quote attributed to you claiming that Young can fill in for Scholes?Tell me it isn't true?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by RuuDie(m): 9:53am On Jul 28, 2011
As far as the 'transfer muppetry' goes. . . . . . please return De Gea to Athletico Madrid and collect our money back; I am liking this Lindegaard fellow - plus God knows that dough can buy us some good options upfield!

grin grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 28, 2011
^^^^
You just read my mind.
Lindergaard is a world-class stopper.
De Gea is good and can be a great goalie,but no point in having him when you have folks like Lindergaard and Amos (another excellent goalie).But I guess there is no harm in having an over-abundance of talent in the GK area,something United have struggled with in the past. . .
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by usbcable(m): 10:46am On Jul 28, 2011
as many times as spanish teams won the CL spain was forever recognised as an under achieving nation, not until last year.
even england winning the WC once was considered a greater achiever than spain.

and IMHO a club is never greater than a country, hence a continental trophy cant be greater than a world trophy.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by mbulela: 1:12pm On Jul 28, 2011
StarBoard:

^^^^
You just read my mind.
Lindergaard is a world-class stopper.
De Gea is good and can be a great goalie,but no point in having him when you have folks like Lindergaard and Amos (another excellent goalie).But I guess there is no harm in having an over-abundance of talent in the GK area,something United have struggled with in the past. . .
still too early to judge Lindergaard.
i hope he becomes a useful back up.
we can't have more than two good keepers.i hear that Amos is highly rated, i can see him going on loan this season or in January and being sold off next season.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 1:50pm On Jul 28, 2011
StarBoard:

LOL. . .
Guy,I still will be like Thomas. . .if we are supposed to bridge the gap with Barca, some of these signings aren't what we need.
Till we plug the hole in our middle,I still choose to be a muppet,by your definition.
Kindly add Mr. TA to that list too. . and mbulela.
If being muppets means worrying for the future of our dear club that we support,count me INNNN.

everybody is a transfer muppet. . . . .if you go to any man utd blog, fans are waiting n anticipating the signing of wesley sneijder. . . .i am sure we won't hear anything until united return back to carrington.

BTW,did i just read a quote attributed to you claiming that Young can fill in for Scholes?Tell me it isn't true?

young thrived in that role last season for aston villa. but he will struggle against the big teams. fergie will be utterly foolish if he doesn't plug that hole in the midfield. we need a superb, experienced midfield dynamo that understands the value of the final ball.

we play barcelona on saturday. after watching what those catalonians did to bayern munich last night. . . . .we are in for a tough game.
anyways. . . . .this is anderson scoring a superb goal after some nice combo with rooney and berbatov.
berbatov's 3rd goal was just pure s[i]e[/i]x. . . . .thierry henry/beckham showed some flashes of brilliance but it wasn't enough as united romped 4-0.

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_YQ9bPjJQ?version=3&hl=en_GB"[/flash]
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by DoubleN(m): 4:41pm On Jul 28, 2011
Omo that first goal was wow!! shocked
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Emperoh(m): 4:51pm On Jul 28, 2011
Coogar,

Will prefer Ando's goal to Berba's!! He nearly missed it.
But see that move for the first goal. . . . .I also think Welbeck did well in the match.
Looking forward to the Barcelon match. . . .thank God its a weekend.

I just hope they won't thrash us like they did in the UCL finals!!! I am still waiting to see what Fergie has up his sleeves!!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 28, 2011
mbulela:

still too early to judge Lindergaard.
i hope he becomes a useful back up.
we can't have more than two good keepers.i hear that Amos is highly rated, i can see him going on loan this season or in January and being sold off next season.

Amos is a goalkeeper who's been showing promise for a year now.
He won't be loaned out.He'll probably be third choice,but depending on how he performs he can actually make it a three-way firght for the goalie's jersey.
Lindergaard is not bad I tell you.I like what I see in him.Playing behind established veterans in Rio and Vida will help him.Same as De Gea.

coogar:

young thrived in that role last season for aston villa. but he will struggle against the big teams. fergie will be utterly foolish if he doesn't plug that hole in the midfield. we need a superb, experienced midfield dynamo that understands the value of the final ball.
That was Aston Villa.This is United.He can't handle it.Young's best position is out wide.

The commentator said there's no such thing as an easy goal for Berba. . .he almost fluffed it but he played well yesterday. . .
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by RuuDie(m): 6:53pm On Jul 28, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, Lindegaard is the *ish ~ whoever recommended that guy to SAF should be given a raise. . . . .he is so damn composed, just looking at him is enough to inspire confidence. His handling so far is good; yes he hasn't really been tested as such but as a goalie is mentally strong enough to keep his head, he is just a short way from being class.
I still say it is not too late to send De Gea right back to Madrid - hate to see that after all that money splashed, he will be warming the bench!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 7:32pm On Jul 28, 2011
RuuDie:

As far as I'm concerned, Lindegaard is the *ish ~ whoever recommended that guy to SAF should be given a raise. . . . .he is so damn composed, just looking at him is enough to inspire confidence. His handling so far is good; yes he hasn't really been tested as such but as a goalie is mentally strong enough to keep his head, he is just a short way from being class.
I still say it is not too late to send De Gea right back to Madrid  - hate to see that after all that money splashed, he will be warming the bench!

fufuface:
The list of Mediocre players at Manure is about to grow by one, Even Schmeichel can no longer hold his peace.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=844095&sec=transfers&cc=5739, the countdown to January begins and we eagerly await if the trend will change.
Debo, you know since when I've been shouting this from the rooftops (sorry, I meant Arsenal forums).

Can you take a look at this career and tell me this is Manure Quality? anyway Sauron's age old excuse of always making WPOTY at Manure holds no water in this instance as they are yet to make a WGOTY (World Goalkeeper of the year, if there is such an award). Can someone take a look at this stats and tell me this is Manure quality for a 26 year old? abi Lindegaard has come from the bush like Bebe too

Years                Team               Apps† (Gls)†
2003–2009        OB                     11 (0)
2008 →           Kolding (loan)          9 (0)
2009 →          Aalesund (loan)       18 (0)
2009–          Aalesund                 38 (0)

Now where are the knives and blades?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=443065.msg7176443#msg7176443
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by debosky(m): 9:25pm On Jul 28, 2011
^^^ I seem to remember some ridiculous backtracking when he was challenged then as well. . . . .Cougars have long memories. grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by mbulela: 10:20pm On Jul 28, 2011
StarBoard:

Amos is a goalkeeper who's been showing promise for a year now.
He won't be loaned out.He'll probably be third choice,but depending on how he performs he can actually make it a three-way firght for the goalie's jersey.
Lindergaard is not bad I tell you.I like what I see in him.Playing behind established veterans in Rio and Vida will help him.Same as De Gea.
That was Aston Villa.This is United.He can't handle it.Young's best position is out wide.

The commentator said there's no such thing as an easy goal for Berba. . .he almost fluffed it but he played well yesterday. . .
his growth will be severely stunted as a number 3.it is not like outfield positions.he needs to play to improve.
i will be surprised if he is still here by feb.
there will be no 2 way fight talk less of a 3 way fight.
SAF does not rotate keepers like that.
he just wants a solid back up for De Gea,which is what Anders hopefully is.
this is not Arsenal where the gaffer does not even know who is his no. 1.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by RuuDie(m): 5:13am On Jul 29, 2011
Lindegaard eyes top spot

Manchester United goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard hopes the form he has shown whilst on pre-season tour in the USA has given Sir Alex Ferguson a selection headache ahead of the club's Premier League title defence.
An impressive 45-minute display against the MLS All-Stars on Wednesday was the latest noteworthy performance by the 27-year-old, whose best save denied David Beckham a goal against his former club, and further fuelled speculation that it could be Lindegaard, and not £18.9 million new boy, David de Gea, who will be between the posts in United's first game of the season on August 14.

One week before that, United face Manchester City in the Community Shield and Ferguson stated earlier this week that de Gea will start at Wembley. However, Lindegaard does not believe that selection automatically places the Spaniard as the manager's first-choice. And with the competition set to continue, he is pleased with the form he has shown to date.

"I think it's been very good, I'm satisfied. I said before the season that it was going to be very important how the goalkeepers perform because Edwin (van der Sar) has retired. I'm very satisfied with my own performances and, if I had the chance to do anything differently, I'm not sure I would."

Signed last November to compete with Tomas Kuszczak for the back-up position behind van der Sar, Lindegaard played just twice  in FA Cup ties against Southampton and Crawley  in his first six-months at Old Trafford. However, though his appearances were limited, Lindegaard says he is a better goalkeeper now than when he joined.

In addition to acknowledging the help given to him by the veteran Dutchman, Lindegaard credits United's goalkeeping coach, Eric Steele, for assisting in his development. When asked for specific areas on which he has worked, he pinpointed two things.

"Positioning in general, how to position yourself. When to be aggressive, when to stay back. In general, I think I have improved in almost every aspect of the game. I've learned a lot of things. You have to increase your level and I think I have done that."

At 6' 4" and with an imposing build, Lindegaard has a commanding penalty area presence. Furthermore, he is a naturally vocal goalkeeper who has the added benefit of being able to communicate with his teammates in English, an additional advantage he has over de Gea, whose grasp of the language is not as advanced.
Eventually, though, de Gea is expected to claim the starting job as his own, but the prospect is not one which phases Lindegaard, who knew when he arrived at the club that more competition would arrive in the close season.

"It was always going to happen. The question was, who would the club buy? It was in the cards from day one when I signed for United that, when Edwin retired, they would bring in a big name. I was told that."

Since De Gea linked up with United in Seattle almost three weeks ago, Lindegaard has been impressed with what he has seen from the Spain Under-21 international.

"He is what you can expect from a 'keeper with that price mark. He is top-class, young but very, very talented. He seems to be a great guy as well. I haven't spoken a lot to him because he doesn't speak a lot of English but he seems to be a positive, open-minded young guy and I enjoy spending time with him on the training field."

With the competition for playing time wide open, it might be thought that tension would be high between United's goalkeepers. Not so, says Lindegaard, who insists that he, De Gea and Ben Amos are thriving under the tutelage of Steele.

"There is competition for all the spots at Manchester United and it sharpens everyone to give 100%. It doesn't really affect us on the training field. We have a great atmosphere, we have a great coach that really understands how to keep that atmosphere and respect all of the goalkeepers. He deserves a lot of credit for keeping the spirit high."

Whether it is Lindegaard or de Gea who starts for the champions, United's goalkeeper at the Hawthorns will be making his Premier League debut. Given the difficulty Ferguson had in finding a reliable replacement for Peter Schmeichel  ten men had varying degrees of success between his departure in 1999 and van der Sar's arrival in 2005  fans will hope for a smoother transition. It is a hope which is no doubt shared by the Dane's fellow countryman as he continues to ply his trade in "the world's biggest club and the world's hardest league".

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/938105/anders-lindegaard-eyes-top-spot?cc=5739
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 12:56pm On Jul 29, 2011

cool
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by dayokanu(m): 6:54pm On Jul 29, 2011
montelik:

cool

From the shirt, we can tell that Inter Milan beckons

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100)

Liverpool Vs Real Madrid UCL Final (0 - 1) On 28th May 2022 / Arsenal Vs Chelsea : FA Cup Final (2 - 1) On 1st August 2020 / Manchester United Vs Liverpool (0 - 5) On 24th October 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.