Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,629 members, 7,813,080 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:35 AM

Know Your Plant Nutrients - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Know Your Plant Nutrients (427 Views)

DIY Liquid Fertilizer That Is Super Rich In Both Macro And Micro Nutrients / Experiment: Can Your Plant Grow With Coke Instead Of Water? / Self-Driving Tractors & Drone Plant & Harvest Crops In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Know Your Plant Nutrients by Cedagrochemical(f): 11:59am On Jun 07, 2022
To be able to grow, develop, and produce at their best, plants must have specific elements or compounds called plant essential nutrients.

A plant that lacks an essential nutrient cannot complete its life cycle—the seed may not germinate; the plant may not be able to develop roots, stems, leaves, or flowers properly; or it may not be able to produce seeds to create new plants.

However, having too much of a nutrient can harm and even kill plants. For example, having too much nitrogen can cause a plant to grow more leaves but less or no fruit. Too much of Magnesium can hamper the absorption of Potassium and Calcium just to mention but a few...

As farmers, it's not enough to walk into an agro store to buy whichever fertilizer is available and affordable. It's better if we have an idea of the

a) functions of these nutrients
b) stage at which they are required
c) quantity required at each growth stage
d) the effect of adding too much
e) way to reverse the effect of excess nutrient addition which I call Plants' First Aid
Re: Know Your Plant Nutrients by Cedagrochemical(f): 12:04pm On Jun 07, 2022
There are different types of plant nutrients but they have been categorized by scientists into 3 groups according to the the relative amount of each that plants need, they are:

PRIMARY nutrients, also known as macronutrients, are those usually required in the largest amounts. They are carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus, and potassium.

SECONDARY nutrients are those usually needed in moderate amounts compared to the primary nutrients. The secondary nutrients are calcium, magnesium, and sulfur.

MICRO - or trace nutrients are required in tiny amounts compared to primary or secondary nutrients. Micronutrients are boron, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, and zinc

1 Like

Re: Know Your Plant Nutrients by Cedagrochemical(f): 12:21pm On Jun 07, 2022
Now that we have mentioned the category of plant nutrients, let's talk briefly on each especially the 3 major Primary nutrients:
Nitrogen : Phosphorus : Potassium
N : P : K
Re: Know Your Plant Nutrients by Cedagrochemical(f): 12:25pm On Jun 07, 2022
I have had so many customers approach me and say 'Ceda I need NPK fertilizer'... My next question will be 'what type of NPK do you need'?

Note: All Fertilizers whether organic or inorganic are made up of NPK, I mean Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium sometimes with other nutrients included. This means you can tell the value of NPK in your poultry dung, rabbit dung, green manure etc
Re: Know Your Plant Nutrients by Cedagrochemical(f): 12:35pm On Jun 07, 2022
I know someone is saying what of Fertilizers like Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Nitrate etc do they contain this formula as well?

YES, they do
Potassium Nitrate contains NPK 13-0-46, I have seen a brand of Haifa thats 15-8-33 and they still refer to it as Potassium nitrate

13-0-46 - in this case, we have 13% Nitrogen, 0% Phosphorus and 46% Potassium... If micronutrients are included, it will be stated on the package

Re: Know Your Plant Nutrients by Cedagrochemical(f): 1:16pm On Jun 07, 2022
Magnesium Sulphate contains 0-0-0-16MgO
This translates into 0% Nitrogen, 0% Phosphorus, 0% Potassium and 16% Magnesium

The essence of having a basic idea of the formula of your fertilizer is to know what exactly you are feeding your plants.
Re: Know Your Plant Nutrients by Cedagrochemical(f): 3:04pm On Jun 07, 2022
Now we will be looking at the major Macro nutrients, what it does to your plants, signs of their deficiencies etc Stay tuned wink
Re: Know Your Plant Nutrients by FarmTech(m): 5:35pm On Jun 08, 2022
Hello, if you sell these products, we will be happy to know the prices. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Know Your Plant Nutrients by Cedagrochemical(f): 2:31pm On Nov 29, 2022
FarmTech:
Hello, if you sell these products, we will be happy to know the prices. Thanks.

Yes, I do. You can check out prices of our products on Cedagro.com
Re: Know Your Plant Nutrients by FarmTech(m): 10:48pm On Nov 29, 2022
Cedagrochemical:

Yes, I do. You can check out prices of our products on Cedagro.com
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Acres Of Farmland For Sale... / Heavy Machinery For Sale / Viability Of A Cold Room Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.