Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,671 members, 7,851,285 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:23 PM

MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application (27613 Views)

Have Ever Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Age? / Have You Ever Lost A Job Or An Opportunity Because Of Your Personality?. / Lady Loses A Job After She Sent Messages Using Abbreviations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by 1F30M4(f): 1:30pm On Jun 08, 2022
He should've known better.

1 Like

Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by careytommy37(m): 1:30pm On Jun 08, 2022
Masters isonu
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by Elliot442(m): 1:31pm On Jun 08, 2022
Captian?...Msc?...HR should check his own spellings too.

1 Like

Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by wonlasewonimi: 1:32pm On Jun 08, 2022
I am not surprised. If you're older that 16 and you still write in such manner, just go and get keke marwa

1 Like

Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 08, 2022
Thcnlblog4:
Master's Degree holder lost a job opportunity because he used abbreviations in his application letter   

https://trendytalker.com/masters-degree-holder-lost-a-job-opportunity-because-he-used-abbreviations-in-his-application-letter/
Even de HR no fit spell ordinary (Captain)
grin grin grin Mumu illiterate way no fit spell ordinary Captain de Denie person Job grin
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by marsup: 1:38pm On Jun 08, 2022
I don't think this is possible.
Can anyone be this stupid and careless? Especially an educated person?
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by aspabay(m): 1:43pm On Jun 08, 2022
I can confirm this. I sat on a recruitment team before and can tell you we have so many unbaked graduates.

Bad grammar on CV and cover letter.

1 Like

Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by HilcomTech(m): 1:49pm On Jun 08, 2022
I find it hard to believe.

This is very bad if true, the M.Sc holder needs to step up his game.

Even if he didn't pick this offer, he will pick up another one that is probably better than this one.
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by Originalsly: 1:49pm On Jun 08, 2022
It is a common problem in the developed world ... people bringing online informal chat format to the corporate setting and having their applications rejected. Nothing new. Let those who know to separate work from play get the opportunities. I'm almost sure he can't represent the degree.
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by Holluwhakemmy(f): 1:51pm On Jun 08, 2022
He won't do that next time. Lesson learned
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by vonlogon: 1:51pm On Jun 08, 2022
Thcnlblog4:
Master's Degree holder lost a job opportunity because he used abbreviations in his application letter   

https://trendytalker.com/masters-degree-holder-lost-a-job-opportunity-because-he-used-abbreviations-in-his-application-letter/

I dislike reading those abbreviations. And that's what they are teaching kids in school this days. You'll hear CRK, QR, BST.
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by Iamthoney(m): 1:59pm On Jun 08, 2022
TheOmoney:
Excessive Chatting on social media would do that to anybody here....stop blaming him.
Not every body sir. I chat a lot and I hate shorthand and abbreviations during chatting. If you are the type that abbreviates I don’t really vibe with you
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by lexyclasy: 2:03pm On Jun 08, 2022
bmdmix10:
There's formal and informal letter.

If the fool can't tell the difference then he has no business applying for a job.
But even the poster himself also make a mistake (Captain good morning Sir) without comma at the end of the salutation. One without sin should first cast the stone. Even English people do make mistakes.
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by bmdmix10: 2:04pm On Jun 08, 2022
Bluezy13:
Hmmm...
So people still type that way.
I thought that thing ended with 2go.

BTW, the reporter himself has a problem with grammar. A technical case of a pot calling a kettle black. Just that the pot is bigger than the kettle this time.
the are probably friends hence the informal chatting, cv hence formal
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by bmdmix10: 2:05pm On Jun 08, 2022
iyatrustee:
Even the HR personnel no sabi spell CAPTAIN!!! cheesy

On a serious note, I hate when I read how a lot of young people write in short-hand...it is saddening that they have mastered the act so much so that they cannot differentiate between formal and social media write-up.
he dey hail him friend its what app chatting that is informal
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by bmdmix10: 2:06pm On Jun 08, 2022
lexyclasy:
But even the poster himself also make a mistake (Captain good morning Sir) without comma at the end of the salutation. One without sin should first cast the stone. Even English people do make mistakes.
on whatapp it's informal nothin formal here hence mistakes are welcome

A formal letter is like writing news, every thing is double checked
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by cayorday89(m): 2:06pm On Jun 08, 2022
AbdulHakeem44:
That is the consequences of too much chatting. One who chats a lot will be forced to abbreviate, and when you are addicted to chatting always, you will be forced to abbreviate. It has happened to me before in am exam hall during my MSc program. I already wrote "d" instead of the word "the" when my consciousness slapped my brain to order. I can bet that he forgot he was writing a formal letter and the forgetfulness can be attributed to addiction to abbreviations especially during chitchats
Another thing is keyboard theses days will learn your typing pattern and predict it for you for faster typing during chat.

1 Like

Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by lexyclasy: 2:07pm On Jun 08, 2022
iyatrustee:
Even the HR personnel no sabi spell CAPTAIN!!! cheesy

On a serious note, I hate when I read how a lot of young people write in short-hand...it is saddening that they have mastered the act so much so that they cannot differentiate between formal and social media write-up.
Beautiful Woman
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by phemmyfour: 2:09pm On Jun 08, 2022
Thcnlblog4:

Even his first degree must be questioned. Too many abbreviation in a formal letter/writing is no longer a mistake
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 08, 2022

1 Like

Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by xwiit: 2:14pm On Jun 08, 2022
crows2ravens:

That wouldn't be possible unless he did not earn the degree (maybe paid for it).
Also, there's no way you would type letter on Microsoft word and it will not flag such abbreviations, the underlines and funny colours will make it look so annoying that a sane person cannot email it or send it to print with all those flags.
I seriously doubt your story!
Maybe you're just trying to get traffic to your blog.

Most companies don't accept typed letter, they prefer handwritten.
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by xwiit: 2:16pm On Jun 08, 2022
Thcnlblog4:

He is addicted to social media short messages, Facebook and WhatsApp kind of msg.
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by domnwan(m): 2:17pm On Jun 08, 2022
Please does having MSc make one a guru in the academic field...... Most qualifications are just because there is money to do so and not otherwise.
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by edoairways: 2:18pm On Jun 08, 2022
verybadmouth:
You find such things in Naija. They choose candidates that are verbally sound that the skilled ones.
God bless you, you wonder why many businesses are failing
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by verybadmouth(m): 2:21pm On Jun 08, 2022
edoairways:

God bless you, you wonder why many businesses are failing
That's one of the reasons Nigeria is going backwards.
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by uuzba(m): 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2022
bmdmix10:
on whatapp it's informal nothin formal here hence mistakes are welcome

A formal letter is like writing news, every thing is double checked

The time we were still using this kind of nokia and writing SMS of 160 characters, yes we had to learn short codes to be able to write more words in our SMS.

Today, we don't even write SMS again.
Whatsapp has unlimited amount of text characters and symbols you can write in one go.
Plus every smart phone has properly and clearly laid out fully functional keyboard
There is NO need to write short code words again.
Learn to spell.

Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by biggie73(m): 2:46pm On Jun 08, 2022
He doesn't know what he is doing
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by jeff1607(m): 2:59pm On Jun 08, 2022
Interviewer couldn’t spell the word “captain” properly
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by Bluezy13(m): 2:59pm On Jun 08, 2022
bmdmix10:
the are probably friends hence the informal chatting, cv hence formal

Okay
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by Shootlion: 3:12pm On Jun 08, 2022
It's "Twitter Chatting" and not Tweeter chatting pls.
Re: MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application by Shootlion: 3:15pm On Jun 08, 2022
HR it's "CAPTAIN" and not CAPTIAN. Captian isn't English language.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Punch Newspaper Massive Recruitment For Graduate Trainee / Lagos Government Is Recruiting Teachers. Application Closees 25th July / Five Million Applied For N-power Batch C - Sadiya Umar Farouq, Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.