Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development (1885 Views)

Checkout My First Real Solidity And Crypto DAPP Project / Why You Need To Learn Solidity In 2 Minutes / Haskel Golang Solidity Python Java Developers For Ethereum Block Chain Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 11:15pm On Jun 12, 2022
Pheew, I am going to be recording my progress learning Solidity and Blockchain development here on this thread.
So I have played around with Solidity for some months now, even did some small DApps, but I want to learn the fundamentals really well.
With respect to that, this will be my humble abode to document what I learnt.

I am using videos from this YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWh7F3AFyQ_x01VKzr9eyA

Since I am a Frontend Dev, I will soon start a one Dapp per day challenge.

By the way you can connect with me on GitHub using this link: https://github.com/sparkle666

Connect with me on Twitter using this handle: https://twitter.com/sparkle_six

3 Likes

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 11:17pm On Jun 12, 2022
For today, I didn't learn a nothing. Well, it's a Sunday, had to flex with my OGs.

1 Like

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by peanutbutterr: 12:12am On Jun 13, 2022
following. Good luck
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by LogicBomb8: 12:30am On Jun 13, 2022
Ok
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by africanman85: 2:35am On Jun 13, 2022
SparkleSix:
For today, I didn't learn a nothing. Well, it's a Sunday, had to flex with my OGs.
learn solidity too. Which IDE do u use ? I use remix but I don't know if there is offline version I can use ? I don't like d idea of login anytime I want to learn.
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 5:17am On Jun 13, 2022
africanman85:
learn solidity too. Which IDE do u use ? I use remix but I don't know if there is offline version I can use ? I don't like d idea of login anytime I want to learn.

Remix is for quick prototype and testing.
Normal development environment is setting it up using Hardhat or truffle.
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 9:51pm On Jun 13, 2022
Learned about Mappings in solidity today.
So mappings are basically a solidity-based primitive data structure for holding a key and name data.
It's kind of similar to dictionaries in Python or Objects in JavaScript.
Just some differences in syntaxes.

1 Like

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by yungz: 12:23am On Jun 14, 2022
SparkleSix:
Learned about Mappings in solidity today.
So mappings are basically a solidity-based primitive data structure for holding a key and name data.
It's kind of similar to dictionaries in Python or Objects in JavaScript.
Just some differences in syntaxes.

do you mind explaining the roadmap to learning blockchain development?
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 5:43am On Jun 14, 2022
yungz:

do you mind explaining the roadmap to learning blockchain development?

I will create a different thread on that, you can follow me so as to get notified when I drop it.
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by digitite: 7:51am On Jun 14, 2022
Great Journey my friend. I am following and we shall be experts.
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by jesmond3945: 10:53am On Jun 14, 2022
SparkleSix:
i saw csc411 in your repo, are you the class rep?
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 12:27pm On Jun 14, 2022
jesmond3945:
i saw csc411 in your repo, are you the class rep?

Nah just team lead for a project.
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 4:49am On Jun 15, 2022
Yesterday was damn hectic. Went to register for my PVC thinking I will be back in time. But alas, I was wrong. The whole place was crowded and their workers came late. How can any reasonable Official resume work by 10 am? With just two registration machines?

Well, violence erupted because some people were attended to through the back door. Boys fought with the officials, broke down the door, and attacked the security personnel and Local government chairman PA who came to quell the situation.

I refused to go home till I did mine.
Time was extended till 5:30 pm in order to accommodate everyone as we threatened to rain down fire and brimstone if they tried to lock up for the day. Sometimes you need to meet violence with a bigger and opposite violence.

Anyways, I learned about Structs in Solidity today. It's kind of a way to group data types for reusing( don't know if I explained it well)
So I am actually adding enough comments to the codes because I will be using them as reference files later on.

The whole thing is starting to make sense now.

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 5:11am On Jun 20, 2022
It's been up to 5 days since I last updated. Not as if I didn't learn during those time frame but I wanted to learn enough to build a simple project with a use case.
So I was able to build a TodoList project where you can add new todo items on the blockchain, and update and toggle their completion status.

This is not the kind of project any serious blockchain developer should do though because you will get charged gas fees for this simple project that can be done on a simple mobile app.

During learning, I discovered that you can inject low-level code into Solidity using the assembly {} syntax. Solidity low key has support for Yul, a low-level intermediate language for interacting closely with the Ethereum Virtual Machine. It's kind of similar to Java Bytecode.

The perks are that you get better access and control of how your contracts manage data. It also cuts down on the gas needed for making any transaction.

I also read about BlockChain Oracles, they are services that allow you to interact with web 2 from your web 3 applications. So you can able to get real-time data from any data source or API in order to inject it into your smart contracts.

This is pretty cool because I was thinking that you can't access data outside the blockchain before. A nice feature I must say.

Some other concepts I learned:
emit: This is used to log out events on the blockchain. Think of this as your good old console.log() in Javascript or print() in python.
Inheritance: You can inherit the functions and attributes of a smart contract using the is keyword followed by the name of the contract. The rest of the logic works like normal. You can call the functions on the parent contract using the super keyword or the explicitly using the name of the contract with the dot operator "Ownable.deposit()"
parent constructors: Usage and how to call them.

I also discovered one can have to write multiple contracts on one solidity file. So basically one .sol file can contain multiple contracts.

You can even deploy a smart contract from another contract by instantiating the contract on the function body of the deployer contract.

Solidity to me looks like an OOP programming language, in this case, COP( Contract Oriented Programming) Language. If there is anything like that because the whole syntax and logic are similar in a way to an OOP language.

I will create the thread someone mentioned about the Roadmap to blockchain development. It will be a community-driven thread so it keeps getting updated if anyone finds some useful resource that has helped them to get started with blockchain development.

All the tutorial files can be found in this git repo: https://github.com/sparkle666/solidity-play

If you are on Twitter, you can connect with me using this handle: https://twitter.com/sparkle_six

1 Like

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by Neocryptoquant: 3:37pm On Jun 20, 2022
FUTArian
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 4:55pm On Jun 20, 2022
Neocryptoquant:
FUTArian

No, not even by a long shot.
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 2:37pm On Jul 07, 2022
It's been long I updated, I was recently veered off course when I applied for one Frontend Dev position.
I was given a full dashboard with lots of pages and components to implement with React and Sass.

It took me a lot of time and I am yet to complete it.

Anyways, I just wrote an article on how to write and deploy a Pizza vending machine smart contract with Solidity.

Every line of code and keyword were thoroughly explained. It's very beginner friendly.

https://dev.to/sparklesix/creating-and-deploying-a-pizza-vending-machine-smart-contract-in-solidity-j5p

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by planlounds(m): 9:00pm On Jul 08, 2022
Smart contracts are adaptable tools that operate autonomously and track the movement of physical items and intellectual property, as well as facilitate and verify financial transactions. Because smart contracts are autonomous, security and consistency are critical.
A smart contract security audit takes an in-depth look at a project's smart contracts and is necessary to protect the funds invested through them.
That's why it's important to carefully choose a company to conduct a smart contract audit. There are many companies that perform audits in the market, but you need to know how to choose the best smart contract auditing firms. https://hackthecrypto.io/best-smart-contract-auditing-companies/
If funds are stolen, they cannot be recovered because all blockchain transactions are irreversible.
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by Kvngfrosh(m): 10:14pm On Jul 08, 2022
To those interested and don’t know where to start from, check out Patrick Collin’s course on freecodecamp YouTube channel.
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by chukwuebuka65(m): 10:56pm On Jul 08, 2022
SparkleSix:
Pheew, I am going to be recording my progress learning Solidity and Blockchain development here on this thread.
So I have played around with Solidity for some months now, even did some small DApps, but I want to learn the fundamentals really well.
With respect to that, this will be my humble abode to document what I learnt.

I am using videos from this YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWh7F3AFyQ_x01VKzr9eyA

Since I am a Frontend Dev, I will soon start a one Dapp per day challenge.

By the way you can connect with me on GitHub using this link: https://github.com/sparkle666

Connect with me on Twitter using this handle: https://twitter.com/sparkle_six

Goodluck! I will join u later. Cloud computing first

2 Likes

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 12:19am On Jul 21, 2022
SparkleSix:

Anyways, I just wrote an article on how to write and deploy a Pizza vending machine smart contract with Solidity.

Every line of code and keyword were thoroughly explained. It's very beginner friendly.

https://dev.to/sparklesix/creating-and-deploying-a-pizza-vending-machine-smart-contract-in-solidity-j5p

Lots of cobwebs to remove on here... grin

I built a DApp for this vending smart contract that I wrote about in the above tutorial.
I first did the design with Figma but later opted for Bulma a CSS-only library. I didn't want to waste a lot of time on the styling and whatnot.

If you observe well, the Figma design and the implementation are quite far off. I used that initial design as an inspiration on how the DApp UI should look like.

I actually goofed big time on the smart contract. I forgot to add functionality to withdraw ether to the deployer's address (which is me).

During the process of building the Dapp, I had to send in a couple of ethers to test the purchase pizza function.
Now all those Rinkeby ethers I hustled for on different faucets are gone.

Those links on the DApp navbar are incoming contracts I will be hooking up a Frontend for. So just did the vending machine smart contract.

I will drop my pen here as I have some Solidity tutorial videos stashed up to watch.

1 Like

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by Kenny242(m): 7:31pm On Aug 05, 2022
SparkleSix:

I built a DApp for this vending smart contract that I wrote about in the above tutorial.
I first did the design with Figma but later opted for Bulma a CSS-only library. I didn't want to waste a lot of time on the styling and whatnot.

If you observe well, the Figma design and the implementation are quite far off. I used that initial design as an inspiration on how the DApp UI should look like.

I actually goofed big time on the smart contract. I forgot to add functionality to withdraw ether to the deployer's address (which is me).

During the process of building the Dapp, I had to send in a couple of ethers to test the purchase pizza function.

Those links on the DApp navbar are incoming contracts I will be hooking up a Frontend for. So just did the vending machine smart contract.

I will drop my pen here as I have some Solidity tutorial videos stashed up to watch.
following
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by momory: 12:34pm On Aug 07, 2022
SparkleSix:

hello bro, i just started these journey how can i connect with you. am jumping from DS
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by Papa85: 12:59pm On Aug 07, 2022
SparkleSix:
I am learning solidity as well. We can connect on WhatsApp

1 Like

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 4:38pm On Aug 07, 2022
momory:

hello bro, i just started these journey how can i connect with you. am jumping from DS

I have my twitter handle up top.

1 Like

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 4:39pm On Aug 07, 2022
Papa85:
I am learning solidity as well. We can connect on WhatsApp
You can connect with me on Twitter

2 Likes

Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by Kenny242(m): 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2022
SparkleSix:

I have my twitter handle up top.
i followed you already but your in-box isn't open. Can you share you learning material pls
Re: Journey To Solidity/blockchain/dapps Development by SparkleSix: 5:52pm On Aug 07, 2022
Kenny242:

i followed you already but your in-box isn't open. Can you share you learning material pls

It's pinned on my timeline as a thread.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Media Query In Css Is Not Working On All My Laptop Browsers / Co Founder Needed For A Dating Application / Ericsson App Developers Contest 2013; Are You Creative Enough

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.