Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,047 members, 7,828,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! (2687 Views)

With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? / Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa / Nigerian Doctor Regrets Japa-ing To Canada. Video Included (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by BabaOfLagos: 12:00pm On Jun 16, 2022
Japa, a slang that loosely translates to quickly getting out of a difficult situation, has been repurposed to mean migrating from Nigeria.

Nigerians have always been drawn to other countries, but this year has had many Nigerians become particularly vocal about their japa status, with the “Welcome to a new dispensation” meme flooding our collective Twitter timelines. The memes have made many people laugh, they’ve also made some people think. It made us talk… to Nigerians who migrated between 2019 to 2021.

They told us why they left Nigeria and gave us the cost breakdown of japa-ing.

Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by BabaOfLagos: 12:03pm On Jun 16, 2022
When did you realise you had to japa?

Edikan*, who migrated in 2019 to Dubai through a job, says his former work environment didn’t support the plans he had for himself. “Work wasn’t going well, the country was nose-diving into an abyss, and I felt suffocated,” he explained.

His story is quite different from Lanre*, a 29-year-old entrepreneur, who left the country in September because he lost hope. He complained about the government policies that affected his startup. “I had to make a choice: suffer to make it (which I eventually will) or make it without having to deal with the economic sabotage,” he said. “I chose the latter.”

In 2019, Muyiwa*, a software developer, left to prove a point. After interviewing with several foreign companies and getting rejected repeatedly, it became clear that his problem wasn’t a lack of skill but his “Nigerian passport,” he said.

Halima*, who left abroad years ago to come work in Nigeria, says the events of 20th October 2020 left her scarred. “I didn’t feel safe anymore. Whatever bubble I was living in was burst,” she said.

What’s the cost of processing a travel visa?

David*, who got someone to file for him in 2019, said it cost $535 for filing and $445 for the visa application. “After passing my interview and getting the visa, I spent an extra $220 for immigration fees, which is the cost of a green card,” he explained.

Muyiwa, who got a blue card, said his company got a pre-approved visa for him: “I went for a visa interview and paid €75.”

Lanre, who processed his visa recently, said he paid ₦500,000 to be on the priority list. “The standard fee is close to ₦300,000.” Halima said, “Compared to other things, the visa itself was cheap. It cost me $211.”

Edikan said he paid ₦40,000 to do his medicals at a government hospital. “I got to the embassy, and my medical examination was rejected because it wasn’t from the designated hospital,” he said. “I ended up spending an extra ₦55,000 for medicals. The sum was ₦95,000.”

David said he was able to get his done for ₦65,000. This is a far cry from the cost Halima incurred; she complained that the health surcharge was over $4400 as charged by the USCIS (the $100 per month policy meant she couldn’t do much with her Nigerian card). “This gives me access to free healthcare for the next five years. The agenda is to become a citizen after that period so I don’t have to pay surcharges again,” she said. Others like Lanre paid a whooping ₦600,000 and ₦60,000 for IHC and Tuberculosis testing, respectively.

What’s the cost of passports?

Muyiwa, who had an expired passport at the time, had to renew for ₦20,000. David, who got his passport in 2015, had to pay ₦30,000 and a ₦10,000 bribe.

Edikan also paid a ₦10,000 bribe so he could get his ₦25,000 passport in time to travel. Lanre spent ₦18,000 on renewal in 2019, while Halima says she always has a valid passport, so it wasn’t a part of her expenses.

With booklet scarcity and a long list of Nigerians waiting for their passports, prices depend on priority. The current rates range between ₦30,000 – ₦70,000.

What’s the cost of flight tickets?

Halima estimated tickets costing her between $2,500 and $2,800. David wanted direct flights but couldn’t wait for the days they were available, so he ended up paying ₦370,000 for connecting flights. Muyiwa, who paid for access to the lounge, said a one-way ticket cost €1,000 on Qatar Airways.

Edikan, who ran out of cash to buy flight tickets, said his company bought the tickets and sent them to him. Depending on the destination, current rates for tickets cost $1,000 or more.

Who pays the cost of japa?

Edikan and Muyiwa said their companies fully funded their japa. “I was instructed to keep all receipts for reimbursement, but before that, I had to borrow from my family and former boss when my savings finished,” Edikan explained.

Others like Halima and Lanre funded the trip themselves. Halima said she got extra support from her number one sponsor: her dad. But the reality is most Nigerians end up using their savings and taking loans from friends and family to fund their japa.

What’s the total cost of japaing and was it worth it?

After paying a combined fee of ₦100,000 for covid tests, Muyiwa says everything cost his company €2250. Asked if the trip was worth it, he says, “If I wanted a job next week, I’d get it. Compared to the tens of applications I did in Nigeria before getting one job.”

Edikan says his expenses came down to about ₦800,000, but it was worth it for the life he gets to live now. Lanre, who had to show proof of funds, says it cost him ₦14 million while the travel cost was ₦1,500,000. “It was definitely worth it. Sadly, a good number of Nigerians may never know what it’s like to exist in a system that works.”

Halima says she hasn’t calculated it yet and has refused to, but she thinks it was completely worth it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by JapaProf: 2:43pm On Jun 16, 2022
For Japa:
Information is key.
Skill acquisition is important.
Planning is crucial.

1 Like

Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by Harrykn: 4:19pm On Jun 16, 2022
Me too wan japa eh if Tinubu do mistake win election.

2 Likes

Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by jantofubu(m): 4:33pm On Jun 16, 2022
You did a nice job and this is almost the information i was looking for..

Was actually looking for total estimated cost of japa to Canada not on educational route tho probably work route or PR...

I'm a civil engineering graduate, I'm a skilled worker(tiling, suspended ceiling and floor finishes expert) and also recently finished my graphics design course (as an additional advantage)

I don't know if you have any idea what the estimate could be or any assistance you can render...
Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by BabaOfLagos: 4:36pm On Jun 16, 2022
Lalasticlala
Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by sotall(m): 4:40pm On Jun 16, 2022
angry
Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jun 16, 2022
Why's no one talking asian countries? Just asking
Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 16, 2022
What is the cheapest and risk free way to Japa out of this country please?
Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 16, 2022
Excell2:
What is the cheapest and risk free way to Japa out of this country please?

I think it's student visa via scholarship oh! I might be wrong though

1 Like

Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jun 19, 2022
Felixamos:

I think it's student visa via scholarship oh! I might be wrong though
I've tried UK, they don't have scholarships, US rejected my application.
Where else has funding or a relatively cheaper tuition?
Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 19, 2022
Excell2:

I've tried UK, they don't have scholarships, US rejected my application.
Where else has funding or a relatively cheaper tuition?
China
Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by Daniel2734(m): 2:28pm On Jun 20, 2022
[quote author=jantofubu post=113862706]You did a nice job and this is almost the information i was looking for..

Was actually looking for total estimated cost of japa to Canada not on educational route tho probably work route or PR...

I'm a civil engineering graduate, I'm a skilled worker(tiling, suspended ceiling and floor finishes expert) and also recently finished my graphics design course (as an additional advantage)

I don't know if you have any idea what the estimate could be or any assistance you can render...[/well I can be of help I have resources u can use, just chat 09019576682 on whatsapp ]

1 Like

Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 20, 2022
Felixamos:

China
Hmm. Never thought about it, Language barrier could be a factor, I don't have IELTS
Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jun 20, 2022
Excell2:

Hmm. Never thought about it, Language barrier could be a factor, I don't have IELTS

Forget ielts. Not all universities will demand for it. Just do your research and apply

1 Like

Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by swiz2(m): 11:22am On Jun 23, 2022
I'm a freelancer, looking to move to South Africa. I'd like to know what it'd entail from someone with experience.

Thanks in advance.
Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by Mercury12(m): 8:41pm On Aug 07, 2022
Nice one
Re: The Cost Of Japa-ing, The thread! by JoeLohic: 11:37pm On Aug 07, 2022
Felixamos:

Forget ielts. Not all universities will demand for it. Just do your research and apply
Ok, can you pls tell us more?

(1) (Reply)

Were You Refused A Visa @ The Uk Embassy? Treat Ur Appeal / New Zealand Student Visa: / Donchippy (bogus Travel Agent) I Have Your Email Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.