Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,486 members, 7,830,449 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Meet Tardigrades, The Only Animals That Don't Get Killed Even In Boiling Water - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Meet Tardigrades, The Only Animals That Don't Get Killed Even In Boiling Water (801 Views)

4 Look-alike Animals That Are Offtenly Misidentified, See Their Photos / These Animals Were Killed While Ploughing My Farm Yesterday / The Plants And Animals I Saw In My Uncle's Compound (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Tardigrades, The Only Animals That Don't Get Killed Even In Boiling Water by BBBricks: 6:44pm On Jun 17, 2022
Tardigrades (/ˈtɑːrdɪˌɡreɪds/),known colloquially as water bears or moss piglets,are a phylum of eight-legged segmented micro-animals.

They were first described by the German zoologist Johann August Ephraim Goeze in 1773, who called them Kleiner Wasserbär ("little water bear"wink.

In 1777, the Italian biologist Lazzaro Spallanzani named them Tardigrada (/tɑːrˈdɪɡrədə/), which means "slow steppers".

They have been found everywhere in Earth's biosphere, from mountaintops to the deep sea and mud volcanoes,[9] and from tropical rainforests to the Antarctic.[10]

Tardigrades are among the most resilient animals known,[11][12] with individual species able to survive extreme conditions — such as exposure to extreme temperatures, extreme pressures (both high and low), air deprivation, radiation, dehydration, and starvation — that would quickly kill most other known forms of life.[13]

Tardigrades have survived exposure to outer space.[14][15] There are about 1,300 known species[16] in the phylum Tardigrada, a part of the superphylum Ecdysozoa consisting of animals that grow by ecdysis such as arthropods and nematodes.

The earliest known true members of the group are known from Cretaceous (145 to 66 million years ago) amber, found in North America, but are essentially modern forms, and therefore likely have a significantly earlier origin, as they diverged from their closest relatives in the Cambrian, over 500 million years ago.

Tardigrades are usually about 0.5 mm (0.020 in) long when fully grown.[2]

They are short and plump, with four pairs of legs, each ending in claws (usually four to eight) or suction disks.[2][17]

Tardigrades are prevalent in mosses and lichens and feed on plant cells, algae, and small invertebrates.

When collected, they may be viewed under a low-power microscope, making them accessible to students and amateur scientists.[18]

Re: Meet Tardigrades, The Only Animals That Don't Get Killed Even In Boiling Water by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 17, 2022
uhmmm
Re: Meet Tardigrades, The Only Animals That Don't Get Killed Even In Boiling Water by immortalcrown(m): 6:48pm On Jun 17, 2022
God is great. But wait oh! So, wetin fit kill de animal?
Re: Meet Tardigrades, The Only Animals That Don't Get Killed Even In Boiling Water by BBBricks: 9:09pm On Jun 17, 2022
immortalcrown:
God is great. But wait oh! So, wetin fit kill de animal?

Ah honestly I don't know

I was listening to fresh FM osogbo 104.9 just hours earlier and I heard an oap mentioning this alongside many other wonders of God so I googled it ,thought it might benefit many Nigerians

God is indeed Wonderful
Allahu Akbar!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Tardigrades, The Only Animals That Don't Get Killed Even In Boiling Water by MorataFC: 10:21pm On Jun 17, 2022
God is wonderful
Re: Meet Tardigrades, The Only Animals That Don't Get Killed Even In Boiling Water by Mhomies: 5:39am On Jun 18, 2022
Waoh!
Re: Meet Tardigrades, The Only Animals That Don't Get Killed Even In Boiling Water by letsfarmnigeria: 6:48am On Jun 18, 2022
Too many weird things are in this world

1 Like

Re: Meet Tardigrades, The Only Animals That Don't Get Killed Even In Boiling Water by MrBONE2(m): 1:43pm On Jun 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
But wait oh! So, wetin fit kill de animal?

The only Beings that can killed them is Lalasticlala pets grin

(1) (Reply)

Crates Of Nutritious Jumbo Eggs Available For Sale / Importance Of Gully Erosion / Role Of Women In Agriculture Important Than Ever As Number Of New Entrants Rise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.