Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. - Art, Graphics & Video (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. (60725 Views)

2d Animaton Learning Thread / 2d/3d Art Gallery / 2d (traditional/classical) Animation Pencil Test: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 1:58am On Feb 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T4wvZiyWoA

-- Just like the preceding pencil-test clips, THIS RIGHT HERE IS ANOTHER AWESOME ANIMATION! Do check it out. Incidentally, the animator is based in Brazil. Hard to believe that it was animated 'Straight-Ahead'; meaning, the animator simply timed the dialogue and started animating without making any 'key' or 'breakdown' drawings. Wow!!! I've done something similar, but not on that scale. BEAUTIFUL! Beautiful I say!! The ACTING AND LIP-SYNC ARE PERFECTO! Not to mention that the style is refreshing. And it was done in FLASH.

Here are 2 other clips from the same animator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5pKSQXhEAI&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_jsyzbiBNY&feature=related
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 3:13am On Feb 14, 2008
From the Vaults:

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 10:08pm On Feb 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylGQhQI9HGk

YouTube opening sequence of the 2D-animated adaptation of  the popular belgian comic book series, "The Adventures of Tin Tin" (ah! Nostalgia, wish I was a kid again smiley). I remember watching a few episodes some years back, and marvelled at the storytelling and animation. 'Trying to get my hands on the Box Set of the animated series. I think Amazon.com has 'em.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 11:41pm On Mar 12, 2008
@Combrazor: I remember you commenting on your fondness for the Warner Bros shorts from the Golden Age, of which I'm equally a huge fan, on another thread in the Filmaking forum, and that got me thinking. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Disney shorts from the same era [considering how rare they are to come by, relative to the more ubiquitous Warner Bros shorts], but I recently got a hold of some Goofy shorts animated from between the early 40's and mid-50's and could not help drawing comparisons between the works of both studios around that period.

I happen to also own the first and second Volumes of the 5-Volume Warner Bros Golden Collection, a compendium which features some of the best animation ever produced by Warner Bros studios during that era, including interviews from animators, artists, and other professionals involved in the production of those gems. Interestingly, the Warner Bros artists [especially the animators] severally acknowledged the superiority of Disney's animators, technically, though they're also very quick to emphasize that their style and theme were a rebellion [of sorts] from what Disney had by then become typecasted and known for. They'd point out that their animation was geared more toward an adult audience, a sharp contrast from the more family-friendly/kiddies/clean-fun Disney style.

However, Warner Bros' animation was technically based on Disney's, as Walt Disney had by then [from the late 30's onwards, especially after the making and success of 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'] established a firm tradition of churning out the most technically proficient animators. A lot of these 'Disney drop-outs' were later credited with having helped feed rival studios with the knowledge of the technical aspects of making things move the Disney way, while creating a unique/individual style and personality of their own.

Personally, as an animator, animation historian and enthusiast, I've come to agree, after much research and experience, that the Disney works from that era [early 40's to mid-50's], and even to this very day, are indeed the best. Warner Bros has also produced some great animators -- my favourite being Bob McKimson, boy! can that man make a drawing move or what??!! -- that include Chuck Jones, Ken Harris, e.t.c. However, hardly could any of them touch any of the Disney 'Greats' [also known as the 'Nine Old Men'; they were responsible for animating the classic disney features [as well as shorts] that built the studio's reputation] -- Milt Kahl [considered the greatest and most technically proficient animator that ever lived], Ollie Johnston, Frank Thomas, John Lounsbery, Wolfgang Reitherman, Eric Larson, Ward Kimball, Marc Davis, and Les Clark. I'm drawing my conclusions based on close scrutiny of their individual works, relative to those of rival animators from other studios. Most of the present-day animation pros learned their craft from these men and their students -- a la Brad Bird, Glen Keane, Richard Williams, Andres Deja, James Baxter, Sergio Pablos, Eric Goldberg, e.t.c.

I wanted to know, Mr. Combrazor, if you've had the chance to watch Disney short subjects and compared them to the Warner Bros shorts, and what your feelings are about both. I'm of the opinion that the Disney character 'Goofy' is the BEST funny Disney character ever created, and an animator's delight, because he's the most human-looking/moving funny disney character, and was fortunate enoff to have been animated, for the most part, by the great -- though unsung -- John Sibley [often condidered the '10th old man']. I'd recommend the following Goofy shorts titles as starters [all made between early '40s and mid-to-late '50s] -- you can start with "No Smoking", "Tiger Trouble", "Father's Day Off", "Hockey Homicide",  and "Father's Weekend". I believe some of 'em are available on YouTube, and usually run about 7-minutes in length. If possible, please check them out, compare the animation and entertainment value to the Warner shorts and tell me what you think. Thanx.

Youtube link to "No Smoking":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmjjHkxTItE

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:28pm On Nov 06, 2008
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by maxani: 8:13am On Nov 07, 2008
Hey, Lafem. Good stuff u got going here.
Nice info on the light box too but could u clean up isses on "Animation disc" and "Animation peg bars"?
Besides, is there a better alternative to the regular printer paper(80g/m[sup][/sup]2, 210x297) for drawing on the light box?
This is also a link for u guys to see all the equipment mentioned above.
http://www.alangordon.com/s_animation.html
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by maxani: 8:24am On Nov 07, 2008
If you've used the disc before, I'd like to know exactly how it works.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Artboy(m): 2:38am On Apr 13, 2009
from themovieblog.com
Disney Hopes to Return to More Classical 2D Animation
The Princess and the Frog will be bringing us to something old and something new. The first black “Disney Princess” character will be introduced and it also marks a return to the classical animation style that Disney is so well known for.
[img src="http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/princess-andthe-frog.jpg"][/img]
News today also shares that this is not a one shot deal and that Disney hopes to produce more classic hand drawn animated features!

Firstshowing shares:

Walt Disney Animation Studios visual effects supervisor Marlon West, who has spent the last few years working on Disney’s The Princess and the Frog. While he did share a few short behind-the-scenes videos showing his work in that movie so far, the biggest bit of news to come out of the presentation came during the question and answer session, where West mentioned that Disney is looking to continue making one 2D hand drawn animated movie once every two or so years from now on

I find it interesting that in a world where the technology is redefining the landscape for animated features, that such pioneers like Disney (and in part to their relationship) and Pixar would consider taking a step that some might consider backwards.

I was intrigued to find out that they were producing another classical animated feature, though clearly helped out with less traditional digital methods, but now to find out that they had so much fun going old school that they intend to continue releasing this style of animation.

And why not? Now that Disney and Pixar have kissed and made up, do they really need to have their own 3d animation studio? I figured that Disney would leave the animating up to Pixar and they would focus more on their own live action features but I am really looking forward to seeing what comes out of this.

As for the Princess and the Frog, I haven’t seen much about it aside from the style of animation behind it, so I have no idea if this will herald a return to cinematic gold like Aladdin or Lion King, but hopefully it will mean they will do this instead of direct to DVD sequels.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:43pm On Jun 08, 2009
Lafem Animation (my registered 2-D Animation Production Company) has debuted online and can be accessed @ http://lafemanimation..

You can also view several Lafem Animation commerical works on youtube by simply entering "Lafem Animation" in the search field.

5 Animated Short subjects (including one commercial) from our stable will be appearing at 25 Film Festivals across the world this Fall. For more information, visit http://lafemanimation..
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by AdamuW: 8:27am On Jun 09, 2009
Hi Lafem,

Congratulations and I want to wish you the best with your company and festivals.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Artboy(m): 11:09am On Jun 09, 2009
Congrats Lafem! just wondering, hoe did you get listed on all those film festivals?

also I went to ToonBoom website http://www.toonboom.com and I saw so many packages and I don't know which is for what/who. what gives can anyone list & explain the different packages?

Thanx
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Ogaga4Luv(m): 9:27pm On Jun 10, 2009
Here is my Contribution to this thread

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Kemjisuper(m): 9:20am On Jun 11, 2009
@Ogaga4luv
Nice one man. I'm hoping someday we'll have a similar collage of well-known branded Nigerian comic characters to show for our creativity. It's a project we could achieve collectively. cool
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 8:41pm On Jun 15, 2009
@ArtBoy & AdamuW: Thanx guys for your well-wishes. I'm hoping to attend atleast 5 of the Film Festivals for the screening of my animated short films (God-willing) for the novelty of the experience. I'm almost done animating another 4min-length short which I'm yet to title at this point. Will update this thread as soon as that's completed.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:41pm On Jun 16, 2009
Here are some of my works

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Kemjisuper(m): 8:42am On Jun 17, 2009
Wow cool man. Keep it up! (wish I didn't put away my comic drawing skills long ago) cry
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by reactor: 1:51pm On Jun 17, 2009
Still living in fantasy i see.
Kemjisuper:

[sub (wish I didn't put away my comic drawing skills long ago)[/sub] cry

you mean why did'nt u develop comic drawing skills long ago. if u have it u can never loose it. yeah mit get rusty but ull get it ryt bak once u get into it. stop trying to be below par in everything with ur greedy eyes and really be gud in one thing for once. huh!
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by firestar(f): 4:00pm On Jun 23, 2009
To Lafem ((( gives hugs))) Thanks for the bountiful seeds of inspiration! Congratulations though!
I'm also working on a project too though it isn't easy for ladies who have that flare. Also has anyone watched 'Naruto'? It really addictive.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by xothermik(m): 10:17pm On Jun 23, 2009
nanda? r u kiddin iv been hooked to that stuff for no less than 4 years.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by firestar(f): 3:01pm On Jun 24, 2009
^^^^ Hn. . . For an anime, its one of the few that sucks you in like a vortex. . . its hard to place as mere illusion especially when characters like Naruto, generate emotions viewers can relate to. Masashi Kishimo really outdid himself.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:34am On Jul 15, 2009
[b]@all:[/b]Thanx for the kind words. Just thot I'd share a bit of good and interesting news with everyone. I recently entered a 10-second animated competition organized by the Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS) -- click on the following link to view their recap of the screening of the animation entries (the entries you'd be viewing were originally screened at the NFB Cinema in Toronto, Canada on the 25th of June, 2009) http://tais.ca/chickenjam.html. Incidentally, I got an unusual mail from one of the organizers of the competition, expressing the judges' fondness for my animated 'Naija Chicken'  (as I titled it). The chicken animation can be viewed on youtube at : 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt7SzhWBfBI

Following is an excerpted portion of the article on the frontpage of the TAIS link I posted above (emphasis on the bolded):

"Animators were asked to create a ten second animation on the theme of "chickens". Here they all are, squished together like chicks in a coop!

Animations by:

Martin Sal, Alex Novitski, Ariel Villaverde, Camille Grandjean, Jesse Jind, Jonathan Amitay, John F. Weldon, Max Hall, Neil Lapointe, Daniel Epton, David Pagurek van Mossel, Jeff Tran, Fabian Dores Pais, Greg Parker, Mike Constable, Adam Fitzgerald, Hector Borboa, Janet Perlman, Joseph Troy, Lisa Murzin & Cesar Forero, Lorenzo West, Matt Hartwell, Michael Jessen, Michael Tallon, Mike Funt, Charles Wilson, Olanrewaju Oluwafemi, Nick Fox-Gieg, Onno Knuvers, Peter Giesbrecht, John F. Weldon, Raphael Rosenwald, Jonathan Cheeseman, Robert Shedlowich, Susan Justin, Tammy Dubinsky, and Madi Piller

Opening/closing animation sequence by Neil Lapointe. Voice work by Bryce Hallett.

Both the jury prize and the audience award prize went to Alex Novitski for his "Born To Be" chicken jam animation.

bA special shout out to Olanrewaju Oluwafemi, who sent their chicken jam in all the way from Lagos, Nigeria and to David Pagurek van Mossel, who was our youngest and only grade 7 participant!"
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:48pm On Jul 18, 2009
@Ogaga4Luv: Those are TIGHT graphic images you've got there bro!
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:58pm On Jul 18, 2009
Another email arrived in my inbox on the 16th of July, informing me that one of Lafem Animation’s shorts, titled “OFFICIALLY AFRICAN” will be screening at the KROK Animated Film Festival in the Ukraine, in early October, and inviting Lafem Animation to the screeening -- which interestingly will be held on a yacht.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:03am On Aug 13, 2009
Lafem Animation just completed the first episodic installment of a series of animated short subjects titled the “Adventures of Alayo”. The humour-based series revolves around a character (Alayo) and his numerous adventures, and will be shipping out to international film festivals any moment. Screenshots from the short-film are available below. Enjoy!

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 7:56am On Oct 20, 2009
Lafem Animation is happy to announce that one of our animated shorts, titled “National Cake Embezzlement” WON/copped the prestigious “SPECIAL MENTION” Award at the just-concluded AnimAfrik Film Festival in Ghana!!

Below’s the digital copy of the letter from the Festival Director informing Lafem Animation’s Director/CEO that our short film,  had won the prestigious Award. You can visit the Festival’s frontpage (http://www.animationafrica.org) to learn more about the award and event. Screenshots from the animation can also be viewed below. Enjoy!

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by AdamuW: 7:02pm On Oct 20, 2009
Nice one Lafem. Keep up the good work. Where can we see the animation?
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 6:26pm On Oct 25, 2009
AdamuW:

Nice one Lafem. Keep up the good work. Where can we see the animation?

Thanx a mil', AdamuW smiley. I'll be uploading the film on youtube as soon as I get the chance. But it'll be screening in your 'neck of the woods', at the upcoming Abuja International Films Festival (along with some of our other works) from the 27th to the 30th of October 2009, at the Bolingo Hotels.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by AdamuW: 10:12am On Oct 26, 2009
I'm in town and I don't even know what's going on. I'll try and find more info about the film festival and pop down.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 2:11am On Nov 09, 2009
Lafem Animation has WON the "Best Animation" Award at the just concluded Abuja International Film Festival for the animated short subject titled "Lagos Sanitizer" (which is available on YouTube) and was made in honour of the visionary Lagos State Governor, Raji Fashola (S.A.N). Below is a screenshot from the animation

Incidentally, I recently learned that a South-African animator copied the concept behind 'Lagos Sanitizer' and created an identical animation in FLASH.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Ogaga4Luv(m): 4:44pm On Nov 10, 2009
[size=13pt]Lafem keep it going. . . .Very soon you shall sail the boat ![/size]
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by xothermik(m): 6:58am On Nov 12, 2009
incredible resolve lafem. dont worry our grand kids shall know of the father of nigerian 2d animation wink
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:28am On Nov 19, 2009
[size=13pt]Yes oo. . . . .[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nine Of The World's Most Controversial Photographs / Emir Sanusi Looking For Man Who Made An Art Drawing Of Him / Olajide Oluwamayowa Peter Draws Trump (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.