Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,597 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Concerning Our Dependence On Technology - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Concerning Our Dependence On Technology (4282 Views)

Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data (comment Version) / Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data / Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by africanboy(m): 11:02am On Feb 22, 2006
I went to a friend's place to pay a courtest visit. Funny enough, I did not have credit on my phone and did not want to call. I decided to drop a note. THE PROBLEM. I couldnt really remember how to write short notes. I had to write it like 4 times before I felt comfortable. I still forgot to put a date.

I had to just wonder, are we getting smarter with all these technologies aroudn us doing all the work, or getting duller.

Seun had to chastise me when I first joined this forum to stop using shorthand in my posts. I was used to SMS. Texting is the closest to writing that I have done in the past 2 years. Normally, I take a dictation on my phone, sync it with my PC, convert it to text and spel check. Oh, printer nko? My fingers hardly work nowadays except the thumbs. Ok, now am typing. Agreed.

Let ponder,
- when last did you really hear silience? Turn off every gadget emitting noise in your house and listen to the silence.
- when last did you walk over to your friend's house, instead of IM, Texting, taking a ride or bike?
- when last did you do manual calculations? Ask anyone for te result of a calculation and you will surely see phones, calculators, computers flying out from different directions. How do you manually calculate square root? I can't remember.
- when last did u hear a yoruba (please replace wit your mother tongue) song with @ least 1 english word? even lagbaja's skentele skontolo has an english word - "ko si fashion kan, to ju tiwa lo"

Any1 in the house having similar thot?

1 Like

Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by Seun(m): 11:32am On Feb 22, 2006
I have no problem with the way we depend on technological gadgets to make our lives more efficient. What we need is a way to make the gadgets more reliable so they won't fail us when we ned them most. By chosing gadgets boring or time-consuming alternatives, we can find new things to do with our minds and time.

1 Like

Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by africanboy(m): 11:38am On Feb 22, 2006
But we seem to be depending too much on gadgets. With the increasing emphasis of software over hardware in recent developments, we seem to be more at risk.

Imagine you buying a brand new car with numerous functions, of course, most of them software based. You are cruising @ 140 km/h auto-drive when suddenly u get past a Wi-Fi spot. Naturally, the software is designed to link up with wi-fi spots to help in GPS navigation, but u are victim to a hacker to takes over the car. Locks you in and crash u open your eyes at the pearly gates.
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by africanboy(m): 11:43am On Feb 22, 2006
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by luridguy(m): 12:59pm On Feb 22, 2006
well i see your point africanboy this machines could fail us anytime and they are not as secure as we think but really it has become a part of us and like seun said What we need is a way to make them more reliable so they won't fail us when we need them most. And am sure we have all experinced the failure of tecnology before most frequent users of computers will know what it is like to lose data when your pc crashes even if you are not smart enough to backup it does not make one stop using it it just makes you more careful and makes those who manufacture it to make inprovements so i think technology is hear to stay and no matter how many times it fails it wil still be a part of us we just have to get even more used to it
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by africanboy(m): 1:13pm On Feb 22, 2006
I cant be against technology, even if i am "witchcrafted" (just using the term, dont really believe in it). It puts food on my table. Am a programmer and web developer.

What i feel is we should start developing alternate means, I dont know if it is truly possible, but then, home PCs where an impossibility a couple of years ago.
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by oasis: 1:29pm On Feb 22, 2006
You don't have to accept new technology. You can consciously live like the Amish do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by hayo(m): 4:09pm On Feb 22, 2006
Well, it's kinda hard not to depend on these technologies, though sometimes, it makes us look foolish - I remember the other day I was looking for my purse and the thought occured to me to flash the purse as if it is a mobile phone , smiley
Well, maybe we will start using chips technology to solve that very soon, at least we can now track cars and there is a plan to start using the technology on humans though the 666 dimension has been raised by opponents of the proposition.
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by kimba(m): 8:18pm On Feb 22, 2006
very soon, a lot of ppl will become jobless coz everything will soon become remote controlled.

sometime ago, i went for a job interview, i had a type written application letter, and my CV  was attached, together with other docus , etc, I got the the location and the HR lady told me to write the letter with my hands, she gave me a plain sheet of paper, you know, i spent about 30minutes, just copying the typewritten letter(1-page) into a plain-sheet, the worst part was how to keep the sentence on a straight line, and keeping my hand-writing  the same size, and yet i was posing as a guru, twas like, o boy, this computer thing has gone too far. I got my first PC when i was 10yrs old.  Thank God they didnt tell me to write my resume with my hands, twould have been hell. Except i sign checks at the bank, i do not think i use my hands to write except to take notes in church on sunday. Maybe i should just carry my laptop to church, wadya think!!!.

I got the job - if you were wondering, actually my first job, yrs ago

On the other hand, I actually know some peeps that cant do anything on a PC without a mouse, yet, i hardly use my mouse myself coz im used to all the combination of keys.

so i do not think its good to depend so much on technology.  SInce my discovery about myself, i have started a routine, writing down on a full-scap sheet with my hands everyweek - at least 1-page.
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by Seun(m): 8:54pm On Feb 22, 2006
You are only saying this because you were embarrased by a picky or clueless recruiter.
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by ijebuman(m): 1:00am On Feb 23, 2006
Can definitely relate to the over dependence on technology. I've gone back to basics, by now using a diary where i write down my appoinments and addresses. My Palm Pilot decided to reset itself (wiping out all my information in the process) while i was travelling.
It wasn't funny i felt so helpless, the minute i got back i put the damn thing on ebay.
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by oasis: 1:44am On Feb 23, 2006
Can definitely relate to the over dependence on technology. I've gone back to basics, by now using a diary where i write down my appoinments and addresses. My Palm Pilot decided to reset itself (wiping out all my information in the process) while i was travelling.
It wasn't funny i felt so helpless, the minute i got back i put the damn thing on ebay.

That brings back memories.

Same scenario, I was on a trip, and my organizer gave out.  I haven't had another one since.

Technology is great.  But have a backup plan.
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by Seun(m): 9:48am On Feb 23, 2006
One backup plan that works quite well is data backup! Make sure your information is in at least two places at once so that when your PC, phone or other gadget fails you'll be able to recover it. In other words, you can back up technology with technology!
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:42pm On Feb 23, 2006
Technology is good as long as one does not become dependent on it
We still go to know how to start a fire with no matches, know when to use Darwins survival tactics
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by africanboy(m): 10:15am On Feb 24, 2006
JosBoy, can u start a fire with sticks and stones? truly, can you, I CANT
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by Seun(m): 1:27pm On Mar 03, 2006
Hehe. Can you use a hoe and cutlass to grow all of your food?
Re: Concerning Our Dependence On Technology by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:18am On Mar 04, 2006
Yes i can start i fire from stones and sticks
being that iam an indigine of the mountanous Plateau State
As per growing food from a cutlass and a hoe i cant, but i can definately convince others too
also part of Dawrwins laws

Yaa thats next to the point, nuttin de happun

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians' Frustration With The NIMC Registration / Yoruba Woman Exposes Boobs During Facebook Live / We Buy For You From 1688,taobao , Alibaba And Ship To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.