Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa (13406 Views)

Abuja-Kaduna Road Accident Claims 22 Lives As Bus Goes Up In Flames (Photo) / Boat Accident At Okrika Kalio Rivers, 16 Persons Rescued Alive (Graphic Photos) / Bus Climbs On Top Of Another, Accident Claims Life Along Asaba-Benin Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by NaijaCover(m): 9:25am On Jun 23, 2022
Tragedy again struck in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa State following a boat accident that reportedly claimed eight lives.

The boat was said to be conveying passengers from Korokorosei community to Ayama Ijaw, both in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area.

DAILY POST reported a similar boat accident involving about seven persons travelling from Otuan to Ayama in Southern Ijaw. They were killed in a boat mishap that occurred over the weekend.

The recent accident where a passenger boat capsized killing eight persons happened Wednesday morning.

DAILY POST gathered that the passenger boat was conveying 12 passengers when it rammed into a local boat conveying Garri from Yenagoa to Ayama.

It was said to be raining and the tarpaulin used to provide shield for the passengers was said to have been blown by the wind which covered the boat driver’s face and made him hit a local boat, causing the boat to capsize.

According to the State Chairman of Maritime Union Workers, Mr Ipigansi Ogoniba, who confirmed the accident in an interview, he said the accident was another avoidable tragedy but happened unfortunately.

“The accident occurred around 9 am this morning (Wednesday). The boat was travelling from Korokorosei to Ayama Ijaw. It was raining so the boat driver covered the passengers with tarpaulin, unfortunately the passengers did not hold the tarpaulin well and the wind blew the tarpaulin which covered his face and he went to hit the local boat and the boat capsized.

“The boat loaded 12 passengers and eight drowned, while four were saved. Our rescue team saved the four persons and took the empty boat to Ayama,” he said.

Ogoniba lamented the failure of boat drivers to provide life jackets to passengers which is meant to save them from drowning.

According to him, the union‘s rules remained that no boat should sail without life jacket, but the rule is often violated.

He hinted that in the next coming days, the union would synergise with its taskforce and security agencies to clamp down on boat drivers travelling without life jackets for passengers.

“We found out that the boat drivers normally do not give life jackets. We condemned the act of not wearing a life jacket,” he added.

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2022/06/23/tragedy-again-boat-accident-claims-eight-lives-in-bayelsa/

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Cypress042(m): 9:53am On Jun 23, 2022
Sometimes i wonder if these boat drivers really know humans ain't aquatic animals, last weekened this same incident happened angry

I can remember vividly talking about the implementation of life jackets in those areas.

R.I.P to them cool

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Shorsky1(m): 10:02am On Jun 23, 2022
RIP.
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Venomo(m): 2:26pm On Jun 23, 2022
Jesus Christ cry

1 Like

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 23, 2022
post=114077049:

See More Bad News Via www.. Com

You lack content, na only bad news una dey source angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by seeker121(m): 2:27pm On Jun 23, 2022
Rip
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by KmniAutos(m): 2:27pm On Jun 23, 2022
RIP
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:27pm On Jun 23, 2022
Udoka Again
What a sad incident.
May their soul Rest in Perfect Peace.

The screenshot below was posted by you just 24 hours ago.
How do you sourc for all these evil news of death on a daily basis Udoka?!

@OP,
Udoka, AKA , continuing from our last discussion, please, try as much as you can to input some positive and good news/stories to your blogging business, don't concentrate SOLELY on Bad news about, deaths, blood, accidents, human beings burnt, jungle justice, heads and hands being cut off, parents killing children, children murdering their mothers, brothers and sisters stabbing each and all other evil vices.
Don't let people label you as a Bad news carrier alone Nwanne. Not good for business biko!
Not all Nigerians love reading Bad and evil news 24/7.
Some of us still have human blood running and flowing through our veins please!
Tweak it!!!

Our kobo @[b][/b].

@Topic,
What a sad story to read.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by 4tomandchi: 2:27pm On Jun 23, 2022
The wickedness in our leaders will not alow them put safety measures in place. What a way to leave this sinful world. There auth to be rescue patrol on our water way 24/7 if we truly value human life in these country.

1 Like

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Rastaramsey(m): 2:27pm On Jun 23, 2022
Mhen this is becoming serious....

Life jackets should be introduced nah....

Lives are being lost on a steady and the authorities kept mute....

I no fi imagine myself sitting inside one small mumu boat speeding on a lagoon....

The fear of water still dey my body....

When I go baptise sef, I nearly cry as them dip me inside water....

4 Likes

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Doupedoudou(m): 2:27pm On Jun 23, 2022
Some investigations should go into this boat capsizing issues
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by ljoh: 2:27pm On Jun 23, 2022
It's because they don't obey safety rules, they overload without live jacket

2 Likes

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by mainkendo: 2:27pm On Jun 23, 2022
cheesy
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by AkioluGraceObi(f): 2:28pm On Jun 23, 2022
Y
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Mindlog: 2:28pm On Jun 23, 2022
Disheartening. When I worked in riverine areas, I made sure I always had my lifejacket with me as my life is more precious than what it cost me to buy it.

2 Likes

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Crixxx: 2:28pm On Jun 23, 2022
Are all these happen while they're celebrating liberation from Biafra into Nigeria abi after.
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Lilchilz(m): 2:29pm On Jun 23, 2022
embarassed
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by legendarystar: 2:29pm On Jun 23, 2022
kiss
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Lilchilz(m): 2:31pm On Jun 23, 2022
bad news no de tire you. Na wa for you o. Try something different don’t ever stay stuck with the same content. Tf!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Temptee101(m): 2:31pm On Jun 23, 2022
Thieftinubu and atikuthief why

Vote Peter Obi

He is the right man for the job

1 Like

Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Stanislause94: 2:32pm On Jun 23, 2022
Sorry for their loss
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by pyyxxaro: 2:32pm On Jun 23, 2022
Mammy Water de vex for Buhari cry
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jun 23, 2022
Mhmm
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Sleekfingers: 2:32pm On Jun 23, 2022
post=114074219:

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2022/06/23/tragedy-again-boat-accident-claims-eight-lives-in-bayelsa/

Must the passenger board that boat? Since the driver couldn't provide lifejackets.....
I don't pity fools......
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Temptee101(m): 2:32pm On Jun 23, 2022
Andey44:
see below

You this fraudster, you no dey tire

Hand go soon touch you.
Re: Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa by Godstiger(m): 2:33pm On Jun 23, 2022
Unbecoming

(1) (2) (Reply)

Foreign Airlines Lobby Governors, Others For More Flight Services / Flood Sweeps Away Two Teenagers In Delta / Parents Suggest Bicycle Rides To School As Bus Fees Increase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.