Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,460 members, 7,850,608 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:45 AM

The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos (4282 Views)

Agbero - A Social Menace / Nigerians Shun Domestic Air Travel Over Fear Of Crashes / Agbero Collection At Omagwa Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by africanboy(m): 11:58am On Feb 22, 2006
Folks in the diaspora might not fully understand this post, but with the increasing number of area boys on our street, life in Lagos (I stay in Lagos) is getting pretty terrible.

My home to my office is about 15 minutes on a bike, but I spend close to 30 minutes to get a bike that will take me there. Why?
"Oga, i no fit go there because of those touts". Life is now unbearable. these boys will not hesitate to flog anybody - male, female, young, old - who interferes with their fund collections. And are they legal? [B]NO[/B]

I wonder what we can do about this menace that has infected our society.
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by Seun(m): 9:57am On Feb 23, 2006
If we can get good jobs for those boys, then they can be taken off the streets and rehabilitated. You don't take awayu the income of people like that without giving them alternatives. At least, what they do is still better than armed robbery, which is what more of them will go into if they are forced off the streets without alternatives given.

Maybe the Area Boys should be registered and organized by the government into a respected body to aid commercial drivers and collect revenue. That would be better than forcing them into a life of more violent crime. What do you think?
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by africanboy(m): 12:12pm On Feb 23, 2006
I believe the government should have put in place rehabilitation programs, and I also believe many of these boys are not ready to work.
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by Hotstepper(f): 3:50pm On Feb 23, 2006
sorry african boy, bariga, i guess datz where u live is in yaba and yaba is hmmmmm full of dem, itz terrible and i hope it stops tongue
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by maurice231(m): 3:55pm On Feb 23, 2006
Can agbero be eradicated?
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by Nobody: 6:04pm On Feb 23, 2007
back in 1999, marwa had practically readicated them.tinubu brought them back.for all practical purposes, as fa as i'm concerned area boys ARE armed robbers, using force of numbers to deprive honest nigerians of teir hard earned money.rehabilitation? not likely.just make it HARD for area boys and they will disappear. if no one stops them, they will only get worse, like an untreated disease.they will soon harassing private motorists.what am i saying-they already do .if your car breaks downin some parts of lagos, you have 2 settle b4 u can fix your car.
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by LePhilippe(m): 8:35pm On Feb 23, 2007
Simple, These people are obviously not ready for obs so the only alternative is to train them into a secret police gang who would rid Lagos and the world of Area boys!!!
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by Mint(m): 9:12pm On Feb 23, 2007
How about the govt rehabilitate them by training them in areas such as construction, recycling etc. They help us develop the state and its a win-win for all parties invloved. And if they refuse because they don't want to work, you build a big prison for them where they can be forced to work. Simple!
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by LePhilippe(m): 9:16pm On Feb 23, 2007
Also make them do sanitation engineering and management!!!
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by africanboy(m): 1:25pm On Feb 24, 2007
give them jobs? yeah right!

and what would be the motivation for them?? more money than they receive now

i have a personal experience: i and a couple of friends (my girlfriend included) started a sort of NGO (actually a project) which we named the "Street Life Project". The project has the aim of taking kids off the streets and place them where they belong - home, school or proper work.

We have 1 success story so far, Taiye Ganiyu Afolabi, whom we saw as a bus conductor and helped located his people. He spent about 2 weeks with us, during which we had to feed him and virtually clothe him. Many times, he had strong urges to go back to the garage (where he could get up N1000 per day, whereas we could only give him a maximum of N300). The only motivation for him to stay was the fact that we promised to help him get back to school. We are currently working on an adult school for him, but his people have been stubborn (they want him to learn a trade).
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by LePhilippe(m): 1:59pm On Feb 24, 2007
Well, the government should intervene by giving social benefits.
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by africanboy(m): 2:02pm On Feb 24, 2007
now d govt should give our money to people who take it by force
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by LePhilippe(m): 2:05pm On Feb 24, 2007
What do you mean our money!!! Most Nigerians don't pay taxes. Better this money go to the community purse than an offshore or swiss bank account!!
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by Seun(m): 6:22pm On Feb 24, 2007
africanboy:

Why in the name of the most high gods must you want to "rehabilitate" a conductor doing a honest day's work?
You know who needs to be rehabilitated? Clueless do-gooders like you.

Conductors and area boys are not the same. Area boys exort money while conductors collect money legitimately.
If a boy is able to make 1000 naira per day doing what he knows, why the hell must you deprive him of his job?

I have no problem with conductors being given additional training, but you need to respect the job they do.
Afterall their work for the benefit of people like you and me who take public transport. How can that be bad?

Gah. angry

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by LoverBwoy(m): 9:28pm On Feb 24, 2007
The project has the aim of taking kids off the streets and place them where they belong - home, school or proper work.

he is not taking adult conductors off their work, he is taking kids that are more vulnerable to abuse off the streets
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by LePhilippe(m): 11:20pm On Feb 24, 2007
Even if it were adults, these sort of public tranport services will be banned in Lagos in the near future and where will all the conductors go??
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by LoverBwoy(m): 11:46pm On Feb 24, 2007
New transport scheme can always re-train them as ticket inspectors, bus conductors and terminal operatives.
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by LePhilippe(m): 12:06am On Feb 25, 2007
Bus conductor what do they do??
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by LoverBwoy(m): 12:11am On Feb 25, 2007
what do you mean? conductors get levels just in case you dont know

remember the old Bus 11 and Bus 12 with an open back?
they had bus conductors but ticket inspectors still come in to check tickets, since the new buses in lagos would have advance tickets and on the bus tickets; the conductors sell the tickets on the bus and inspectors can come in to check tickets all together
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by Seun(m): 9:28am On Feb 25, 2007
Even if it were adults, these sort of public tranport services will be banned in Lagos in the near future and where will all the conductors go??
They'll go to the bedroom of the idiot that banned them and repay him appropriately. angry
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by africanboy(m): 2:41pm On Feb 27, 2007
Why in the name of the most high gods must you want to "rehabilitate" a conductor doing a honest day's work?
a boy between the ages of 10 - 16 is doing a honest day's work. would you allow your younger brother to do a honest day's work

You know who needs to be rehabilitated? Clueless do-gooders like you.
now that's just being rude

Conductors and area boys are not the same. Area boys exort money while conductors collect money legitimately.
If a boy is able to make 1000 naira per day doing what he knows, why the hell must you deprive him of his job?
wow, the guy's brilliant, but wait, this boy is underage. he ran away from home because he was being maltreated

I have no problem with conductors being given additional training, but you need to respect the job they do.
Afterall their work for the benefit of people like you and me who take public transport. How can that be bad?

Gah.
should i comment? NO!
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by MandingoII(m): 7:26pm On Feb 27, 2009
A STREET-URCHIN is NOT a honorable profession.

Then again, WHERE are the Jobs?

What do you expect young men to do?

sit around and twiddle their thumbs - and act appropriately while they are starving?

ITS THE GOVERNMENT!!!

actually, it is too many people in your country. Countries that thrive are countries with LESS people to fill their jobs than countries with TOO MANY people.

Nigeria needs to practice Child prevention. Because more and more kids will end up like Area boys.

Who wants to have a badarse good for nothing kid?
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 28, 2009
Hmm, seems a tradition to revive this thread every February, bar 2008. . .

I know the area boys are a menace, and a lot of them were bus conductors in the past.
I think the "conductor" tag is a very loosely used one, it means different things to different people.

But, as someone said, "conductors" and "zagberos" are not to be confused with the other.

Touts operate in different areas in Nigeria - garages, embassys, markets, hospitals, driver agencies etc.
In fact, anywhere a service is required, legitimate or otherwise, touts will exist.

Untill there's an alternative, they always will.
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by africanboy(m): 10:26am On Mar 02, 2009
Interesting. The February revival, that is.
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by cristobal2: 10:54am On Apr 13, 2009
Hello everybody!

has anyone seen "Area Boys" the film?

i saw some stuff and it looks good.

Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by Dammyray(m): 3:00pm On Jan 15, 2010
Maybe we should start killing them, lol
Re: The Fear Of Area Boys (Agbero) In Lagos by africanboy(m): 1:41pm On Feb 08, 2010
Dammy_ray:

Maybe we should start killing them, lol

funny,

(1) (Reply)

A Guide To Studying In Estonia / Heey Guys, How Do You Live There In Nigeria?!? / Discover How To Obtain Georgia Dual Citizenship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.