Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (285) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (684625 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) ... (533) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Izanghi(m): 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2023
scott12:

Hello...
Thanks for your contribution to this thread. Your insights have really been helpful. I have a question and would really appreciate your response.
I have a bachelor's degree in biochemistry and a masters degreee in environmental toxicology. I intend pursuing a phd in the environmental sciences in the Us. However,
I have no publication so I would like to know if I stand any chance of getting a fully funded offer. Please any idea of institutions thats offer fully funded phds in the environmental sciences in the usa.
Regards.

Scott, you don't need a publication to get a fully funding offer. Your Bsc and Msc dissertation is more than enough. Publication is good but research fit, Letter of recommendation and research experience (which you can get through your dissertation), then a good CGPA are the most vital thing in your application. If you have a strong CGPA of at least 4.2 over 5.0 you may not need to do GRE but if you have the money you can do it, I have even seen people with less than that and no get into top ranked schools.

If I may ask what Is your undergraduate and masters CGPA?

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mariaekay(m): 4:09pm On Mar 28, 2023
Hello all I want to apply for Msc in Missouri University of Science and Technology for Fall, 2023 in the field of Mechanical Engineering. If I apply and get admission is it possible to be invited for interview this year 2023. Someone told me that there was a long queue for student visa last year, 2022 in Nigeria and he doesn't think that I will make it this year because the U.S embassy here in Nigeria would settle previous applicants of 2022 before me so I should be thinking for 2024. I don't know how true this is? Whether he just wants to discourage me. I don't know. Please someone with authentic information can help me out.
Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by kupzykool: 4:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
Please, Between a college and a university which one is has the best chance of getting a visa in Nigeria
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BusinesshubOne: 4:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
olazzxyz:
I got this message when I tried scheduling USA F1 visa appointment in Lagos "Your request to schedule an appointment has been received and will be reviewed. You will receive an email once your request is approved"

Is this a normal occurrence? if not what can be done?

Are there any WhatsApp groups where one can keep track of when interview dates are available?

Have you gotten a response from them?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 5:06pm On Mar 28, 2023
tbh2053:

Thanks for this.
CC means Credit card and WU means Western Union right?
Yes
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 5:08pm On Mar 28, 2023
mariaekay:
Hello all I want to apply for Msc in Missouri University of Science and Technology for Fall, 2023 in the field of Mechanical Engineering. If I apply and get admission is it possible to be invited for interview this year 2023. Someone told me that there was a long queue for student visa last year, 2022 in Nigeria and he doesn't think that I will make it this year because the U.S embassy here in Nigeria would settle previous applicants of 2022 before me so I should be thinking for 2024. I don't know how true this is? Whether he just wants to discourage me. I don't know. Please someone with authentic information can help me out.
Thanks.
Start your application… and worry about visa interview later
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 5:26pm On Mar 28, 2023
Nice school. With a lot of international students, you will enjoy the place.
Tehilla23:
Anyone going to University of Illinois Urbana Champaign?let's connect pls

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Duisburg: 6:08pm On Mar 28, 2023
emmybobo1:
March 21st 2023
Visa type: F1
COA: $41000
Funding: $43000
Program: PHD engineering
Application status: Approved.
Embassy: Lagos

VO: hand me your passport and I20
ME: I handed her those, and greeted as well. She didn’t respond anyways.

VO: how old are you and when did you graduate?

ME: I told her

VO: why do you want to go graduate school now after years of graduating from school.

ME: I explained by telling her about my teaching experiences and connecting them to my ambition of taking up full time academic position in university.

VO: how did you get this funding?

ME: I came across a work by professor… which I found interesting me and sent her an email. She subsequently scheduled a zoom session with me. I was asked to apply after the interview, and I applied by submitting the required items.

VO: how did you come across her work? Did search about it or through other means. And I asked yes I searched for it.

VO: what question were you asked in the interview.

ME: she asked me questions concerning my research interests.

VO: what is your research interest.

ME: I told her.

VO: can you tell me about the project you’ll be working on with your PI

ME: I explained as much as I can, but I should have done better.

VO: nodded and did a long typing ( very fast).

VO: are you married ?

ME: no but in the process of completing the marriage rites of my fiancée

VO: where does she live? I answered PHC CITY

VO: nodded and asked “ hope you’ll complete it before you travel” and I answered yes.

VO: handed me the white paper and asked I should pick up my visa up in the next 6 business days.

ME: bows out and praised my God.

PS: I felt really bad that when I was unable to schedule interview I came here to seek solution but to nobody answered to my many questions. But the people here were quick to attack me when I made a post of how to retrieve my passport (visa) from Dhl .
Congratulations

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tehilla23: 6:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
I was given admission with full tuition waiver, stipend of 1415 per month,partial payment of health fees and some other fees.Yet when I messaged the grad school to get my I-20,I was told I will need to submit a proof of fund of 24,599 dollars.Im confused here,I have two dependents so I don't know if there money has been added but when I messaged the grad school representative,he sent a link that I don't understand that my dependents will also pay.I'm confused,the grad school is not replying and I need the I-20 urgently to apply for our visa.
The school is university of Illinois Urbana Champaign.Who has an idea of what is happening please?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by brighttech95(m): 7:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
Tehilla23:
I was given admission with full tuition waiver, stipend of 1415 per month,partial payment of health fees and some other fees.Yet when I messaged the grad school to get my I-20,I was told I will need to submit a proof of fund of 24,599 dollars.Im confused here,I have two dependents so I don't know if there money has been added but when I messaged the grad school representative,he sent a link that I don't understand that my dependents will also pay.I'm confused,the grad school is not replying and I need the I-20 urgently to apply for our visa.
The school is university of Illinois Urbana Champaign.Who has an idea of what is happening please?

I think the funding covers you alone,
You have to show that you have sufficient funds to cater for your dependents

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by FK2022: 8:54pm On Mar 28, 2023
I have been experiencing the same error since yesterday.

Lawal1555:

Same here. Not only you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 9:13pm On Mar 28, 2023
brighttech95:

I think the funding covers you alone,
You have to show that you have sufficient funds to cater for your dependents

Yes
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Oluwato5in: 9:26pm On Mar 28, 2023
Hi I’m tosin and have just been admitted for an mba course in us and have also made my visa payment but is it possible to get a date with the consoler before filling and submitting the visa form? Please help ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 9:26pm On Mar 28, 2023
Tehilla23:

Did you tell them about your 2 dependents when u began ur application.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Najdorf: 11:24pm On Mar 28, 2023
kupzykool:
Please, Between a college and a university which one is has the best chance of getting a visa in Nigeria
Not all colleges and universities are made equal. For example, to put Amherst/Williams college together with community colleges because they both have college in their name would be silly. It mostly comes down to the individual school itself

With that said, if you're solely looking to maximize visa chances go with a "university" by all means

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Imustreturn(m): 12:00am On Mar 29, 2023
Jacknn:

Don't know o,I'm waiting for funding
ok
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TenaciousOrphan: 6:45am On Mar 29, 2023
Hello all, I am just worried somehow. My wife is a Registered Nurse and we have a baby of 1 year and 3 weeks, does it make sense to apply with them? I am going for PhD with full funding. Deficit is about 6,800 including the 2 dependants.
Will her nursing diploma Certificate not be a red flag? Can I decide not to state it on the DS160?

Your suggestions are welcomed please!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tehilla23: 6:58am On Mar 29, 2023
BigIyanga:

Did you tell them about your 2 dependents when u began ur application.

Yes,it's on my application.I wouldn't mind if that deficit is including my dependents,but the person from graduate school was saying he thinks is for me alone so I'm confused
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TenaciousOrphan: 7:11am On Mar 29, 2023
Hello all, I am just worried somehow. My wife is a Registered Nurse and we have a baby of 1 year and 3 weeks, does it make sense to apply with them? I am going for PhD with full funding. Deficit is about 6,800 including the 2 dependants.
Will her nursing diploma Certificate not be a red flag? Can I decide not to state it on the DS160?

Your suggestions are welcomed please!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by DAramis: 9:13am On Mar 29, 2023
Any University of New Haven admit? Can you confirm if the university gave you funding/graduate Assistantship?

CC

Tohlou
Motiqueen
Thesuperladyy
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by DAramis: 9:15am On Mar 29, 2023
For those with multiple funding offer, please try and reject the ones you don't need appropriately (notifying the graduate admission ) to enable others on waiting list to be offered. Late reject simply means that offer is lost permanently.

NB: My own little suggestion

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TenaciousOrphan: 9:35am On Mar 29, 2023

Your suggestions are welcomed please! @ Moshkom, Fairheart, Justwise and others who have faced similar situations
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TheNoble007(m): 9:47am On Mar 29, 2023
Tehilla23:

You don't have to fret. When contacting the international office of your school for your i20, you have to upload a signed copy of your GA offer if actually you are fully funded. Your funding covers you alone. In the process, you will be contacted to submit proof of funds for your dependents. If you lack POF for your dependents, kindly go alone. Simple.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 9:58am On Mar 29, 2023
Tehilla23:

Yes,it's on my application.I wouldn't mind if that deficit is including my dependents,but the person from graduate school was saying he thinks is for me alone so I'm confused
Just like most people have said, POF is required for your 2 dependents. Stipends only cover you.
Your financial aid office is in a better position to explain this ambiguity to you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Olawrites: 10:42am On Mar 29, 2023
Anyone admitted to Apsu here?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by xploiter(m): 11:30am On Mar 29, 2023
Hello all,

For someone going for MBA in the US, which other lending company is available for Nigerians except MPower? I heard that Prodigy is currently not approving for Nigerians.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 11:34am On Mar 29, 2023
kupzykool:
Some colleges are more difficult to get into than universities. Some colleges are more prestigious than universities.
If you have a fully funded scholarship from Amherst, Wellesley College, Harvey Mudd College etc, VO is going to look at you with admiration.. you’re smart, gifted and lucky.

Btw, private colleges are expensive… if you dont have $$ from family or school… find some cheaper options
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 11:46am On Mar 29, 2023
TenaciousOrphan:

Your suggestions are welcomed please! @ Moshkom, Fairheart, Justwise and others who have faced similar situations
-Is your wife a BSC-registered nurse in Naija, if yes, I would advise you to create a path B for her.. MSN-PHd route or licensure route.F2 is going to waste her needed talent in the US because she’ll not be allowed to work unless she can change her status.
-You can go alone and make arrangements for them to join you later..
-If she’s not a Bsc-registered nurse in Naija, you can go with her as F2 dependent, then when you’re settled in, she can do evaluation and transfer course credits earned in Naija to US school and finish her nursing program.

-Or you can file for her and F2… you all go together… once you’re granted your stay, they become riders.
Pick long term gain over short term pain!

Good luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by scott12(m): 11:54am On Mar 29, 2023
Okay thanks.
Donbigi2:

Can you work on the publication part?

Goto your uni where you did masters, and meet your lecturers preferably your project supervisor or any lecturer you have good relationship with

I don't know about yiur school, but my mom is a lecturer, she uses/needs about 4-6 publication for her promotion.

Meet your lecturers and ask them if you can contribute to 2-4 publications.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by scott12(m): 11:58am On Mar 29, 2023
Okay thanks... I would link up.
Rdfactor:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TenaciousOrphan: 12:08pm On Mar 29, 2023
BigIyanga:

-Is your wife a BSC-registered nurse in Naija, if yes, I would advise you to create a path B for her.. MSN-PHd route or licensure route.F2 is going to waste her needed talent in the US because she’ll not be allowed to work unless she can change her status.
-You can go alone and make arrangements for them to join you later..
-If she’s not a Bsc-registered nurse in Naija, you can go with her as F2 dependent, then when you’re settled in, she can do evaluation and transfer course credits earned in Naija to US school and finish her nursing program.

-Or you can file for her and F2… you all go together… once you’re granted your stay, they become riders.
Pick long term gain over short term pain!

Good luck.

Thank you for your response @ Biglyanga.
She does not have a BSc in Nursing but a Diploma in Nursing (RN) with a license. Should I include this on the DS 160 or should I just write O level as highest level of qualification and put another thing as profession.

(1) (2) (3) ... (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) ... (533) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

Viewing this topic: KarisNech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.