Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,456 members, 7,850,589 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:08 AM

Racism In A Foreign Land - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Racism In A Foreign Land (1217 Views)

Celebrating Eid In A Foreign Land: Nairalander Experience In North Cyprus / Nigerian Man Speaks Out Against Alleged Racism In Europe (video) / Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Racism In A Foreign Land by smartoliver(m): 8:25pm On Jun 25, 2022
Hello all.

I was busy going through quora when an article caught my attention. The article was about racism, but specifically in China. While the article isn't of much relation to this, it made me wonder. Thus I wish to learn from those with experiences or stories to share. While Nigerians abroad are seen as though they're living the best life, they might leave out the unpleasant encounters just because of their skin colour, something quite prevalent in varying white societies. I wish to know more about RACISM and it's effects on our people over there. So here's to those overseas, have you ever had an encounter with a racist?, lost something/position cause of your skin colour, ever denied an opportunity or delayed cause of your colour. I will be looking forward to the replies.

1 Like

Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by jesmond3945: 2:19pm On Jun 26, 2022
smartoliver:
Hello all.

I was busy going through quora when an article caught my attention. The article was about racism, but specifically in China. While the article isn't of much relation to this, it made me wonder. Thus I wish to learn from those with experiences or stories to share. While Nigerians abroad are seen as though they're living the best life, they might leave out the unpleasant encounters just because of their skin colour, something quite prevalent in varying white societies. I wish to know more about RACISM and it's effects on our people over there. So here's to those overseas, have you ever had an encounter with a racist?, lost something/position cause of your skin colour, ever denied an opportunity or delayed cause of your colour. I will be looking forward to the replies.
racism is embedded in the culture. So it makes it an everyday affair.

1 Like

Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by ednut1(m): 2:23pm On Jun 26, 2022
In your country is there not tribalism Is there not class discrimination Don’t you get denied opportunities based on man know man What is all this kumbaya. Face wetin you do there . You aint there to be liked

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by Cousin9999: 3:32pm On Jun 26, 2022
Why would you ask this question unless you derive pleasure from other people's negative experiences?

1 Like

Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by Gerrard59(m): 12:07am On Jun 27, 2022
A citizen of a country where two ethnic groups are at loggerheads online because their kinsmen are presidential candidates is asking a question on how racism affects Nigerians in China - a way more prosperous society than his.

The jokes write themselves.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by Originalsly: 1:34am On Jun 27, 2022
Racism abroad is similar to tribalism at home ... the experiences are pretty much the same. What are your experiences with tribalism at home? ... whatever they are ... people abroad have pretty much faced the same.

1 Like

Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by justwise(m): 10:14am On Jun 27, 2022
Gerrard59:
A citizen of a country where two ethnic groups are at loggerheads online because their kinsmen are presidential candidates is asking a question on how racism affects Nigerians in China - a way more prosperous society than his.

God bless you for this
Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by CanadaOrBust: 3:18am On Jun 28, 2022
Gerrard59:

justwise:

God bless you for this

Originalsly:
Racism abroad is similar to tribalism at home ... the experiences are pretty much the same. What are your experiences with tribalism at home? ... whatever they are ... people abroad have pretty much faced the same.

OP this is not true. There is something about racism that touches the soul. Tribalism is only “skin deep”, so to speak. A Yoruba guy does not feel superior to an Igbo guy. A Yoruba guy will not refuse to sit near an Igbo guy in train or bus. An Igbo guy will feel nothing about having a Yoruba guy move into the neighborhood or even next door. A Yoruba guy will not stand up when an Igbo guy sits down next to him on the train or bus. A bunch of Igbo guys will not keep standing when there are open seats next to a Yoruba guy but quickly sit down once a sit opens up next to a fellow Igbo guy. In the particular case of China, a bunch of Yoruba guys will not stylishly cover their noses when close to an Igbo guy or when an Igbo guy passes, etc...

3 Likes

Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by smartoliver(m): 10:51am On Jun 29, 2022
Thank you for this. I was thinking about ways to reply those messages just to clarify my stance. Even though I understand what they mean, but I do feel the effect of racism in a foreign country is much more different than the effect of tribalism here in Nigeria. For example : I have seen where tribal differences cost some people job opportunity just as racism would, but all tribes in Nigeria share a toilet, they share a seat next to each other on a bus and so many other instances like you already gave
CanadaOrBust:

OP this is not true. There is something about racism that touches the soul. Tribalism is only “skin deep”, so to speak. A Yoruba guy does not feel superior to an Igbo guy. A Yoruba guy will not refuse to sit near an Igbo guy in train or bus. An Igbo guy will feel nothing about having a Yoruba guy move into the neighborhood or even next door. A Yoruba guy will not stand up when an Igbo guy sits down next to him on the train or bus. A bunch of Igbo guys will not keep standing when there are open seats next to a Yoruba guy but quickly sit down once a sit opens up next to a fellow Igbo guy. In the particular case of China, a bunch of Yoruba guys will not stylishly cover their noses when close to an Igbo guy or when an Igbo guy passes, etc...
Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by smartoliver(m): 10:54am On Jun 29, 2022
Why not stick to the topic at hand? Should the negativity in our country stop us from talking about the negativity affecting us in other countries?
Gerrard59:

Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by Cousin9999: 3:45pm On Jun 29, 2022
Look, there's no mystery. People have written and talked about racism extensively. This thread serves no purpose except for racist rētards to sexually gratify themselves with.

And ultimately racism itself is akin to men who sexually assault minors. "Racists" are rētarded psychopaths satisfying some sick urge to act out on specific groups of people in bizarre ways.

1 Like

Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by ednut1(m): 4:11pm On Jun 29, 2022
smartoliver:
Why not stick to the topic at hand? Should the negativity in our country stop us from talking about the negativity affecting us in other countries?
nigerians have thick skins. Racism does not bother majority of us. Na money you con find no be to be liked. Lived in uk and Canada. I never experience racism. Am over 6 ft sha. Maybe them dey fear say i go beat them hahahahah

4 Likes

Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by Etinosa1234: 10:48pm On Jun 29, 2022
If u are bothered abt racism, come back home and be shouting emi lo kan for tinubu
Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by Etinosa1234: 10:48pm On Jun 29, 2022
If u are bothered abt racism, come back home and be shouting emi lo kan for tinubi
Re: Racism In A Foreign Land by Gerrard59(m): 10:26pm On Jun 30, 2022
smartoliver:

Take the log out of your eyes before attempting to do so with others. If you are pissed off with the treatment, return to Nigeria. Is that not the same statement Igbos in Lagos are told to do?

Prolific tribal bigots are angry that they are racially discriminated against or mocked. Nonsense and ingredients!

If e tire you, move to Nigeria!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Abroad / Study In Uk Vs Us Or Canada / Getting Us, Schegen, Europe And North America Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.