Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,327 members, 7,860,807 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:37 PM

Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit (643 Views)

Thousands Gather In London To Demonstrate Support For Palestine / Zelensky Says 'We Realized That Ukraine Will Not Become A Member Of NATO' / Armed Protesters In Camo Demonstrate Against Stay-At-Home Orders In Kansas, US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by Hanibbal(m): 11:01pm On Jun 26, 2022
Banners with the words ‘No to NATO, No to War, For Peace’ were held as thousands of people marched through the Spanish city.

Thousands of anti-NATO demonstrators rallied in Madrid on Sunday before a summit of the Western military alliance in the Spanish capital this week.

Demonstrators called for US-led NATO to be dissolved and for military bases maintained by the United States in Spain to be closed. Banners with the words “No to NATO, No to War, For Peace” were held as they marched through the city.

The Spanish government banned another rally planned for Wednesday, the first day of the NATO summit, on security grounds.

“Tanks yes, but of beer with tapas,” sang demonstrators, who claimed an increase in defence spending in Europe urged by NATO was a threat to peace.

“I am fed up [with] this business of arms and killing people. The solution they propose is more arms and wars and we always pay for it. So no NATO, no [army] bases, let the Americans go and leave us alone without wars and weapons,” said Concha Hoyos, a retired Madrid resident.

Organisers claimed 5,000 people joined the march, but authorities in Madrid put the number at 2,200.

A virtual fortress

NATO is expected to consider the bid, opposed by alliance member Turkey, for Finland and Sweden to join. The Nordic nations applied in the wake of the Russian assault on Ukraine.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, who calls the war a special military operation, says it in part responds to the accession to NATO of other countries near post-Soviet Russia’s borders since the 1990s.

Madrid is set to be turned into a virtual fortress during the two-day summit. More than 10,000 police and other security forces will provide protection to the representatives of some 40 countries attending. An interior ministry spokesman said to date no specific threat has been identified.

The summit is being held in the shadow of the war in Ukraine and is expected to take decisions on strengthening NATO’s military and deterrence capacities.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/26/thousands-demonstrate-in-madrid-ahead-of-nato-summit

Cc: lalasticlala

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by Totilopussylick(m): 11:01pm On Jun 26, 2022
Since Tinubu denied having primary and secondary school certificates.

It has rendered any foreign news very useless.

NATO my ass tongue.

3 Likes

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by blazingblender(m): 11:10pm On Jun 26, 2022
Ok naa
We don taya for una news jaree

1 Like

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by daddytime(m): 11:13pm On Jun 26, 2022
Na we humans go annihilate ourselves out of sheer greed and ego..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by jimetagambo: 4:12am On Jun 27, 2022
blazingblender:
Ok naa
We don taya for una news jaree
Same here.

I will take Kyiv in 2 weeks don turn to 4 months (16 weeks) grin

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by ken6488(m): 11:09am On Jun 27, 2022
It is just beginning
Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by ken6488(m): 11:10am On Jun 27, 2022
jimetagambo:

Same here.

I will take Kyiv in 2 weeks don turn to 4 months (16 weeks) grin
Rest Putin never said that, can you send a real link showing that, any way kyiv is being raided now

More city are going down

Ukraine is dieing a slow and painful death

4 Likes

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by CALEB1590(m): 11:25am On Jun 27, 2022
Why is this section becoming dry of late?
Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by Hanibbal(m): 1:21pm On Jun 27, 2022
ken6488:
Rest Putin never said that, can you send a real link showing that, any way kyiv is being raided now

More city are going down

2 Likes

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by citygarden(m): 1:41pm On Jun 27, 2022
One man is dealing with world leaders like they are baby in international politics. I fear who no fear Putin. Even if he later lose this war, I will still credit him for challenging their atrocities.

3 Likes

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by Hanibbal(m): 2:32pm On Jun 27, 2022
citygarden:
One man is dealing with world leaders like they are baby in international politics. I fear who no fear Putin. Even if he later lose this war, I will still credit him for challenging their atrocities.

Putin remains the world's most powerful man. Western leaders are just confused about the whole thing

3 Likes

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by jimetagambo: 2:49pm On Jun 27, 2022
ken6488:

More city are going down

Yawns

1 Like

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by jimetagambo: 2:49pm On Jun 27, 2022
ken6488:
Rest Putin never said that. can you send a real link
You have google on your phone. Don't you?

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by Appleyard(m): 3:07pm On Jun 27, 2022
citygarden:

Russia can only lose this war in western wet dreams.
Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by ken6488(m): 3:07pm On Jun 27, 2022
jimetagambo:

I mean official statement

Not some random blog

I can create any blog and post any fake information

Give me link to the official kremilin saying that

1 Like

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by ken6488(m): 3:09pm On Jun 27, 2022
jimetagambo:

Yawns
Check what you posted "could"

Even if that post is correct he didn't say will

Rubbish, trash propaganda will not save Ukraine

If you so much love Ukraine fly over there and fight for them

1 Like

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by Appleyard(m): 3:11pm On Jun 27, 2022
Europeans are now waking up to the reality of inflations. By the time Russia end gas supply completely, massive unrest will break out in many European capitals and most of their governments would be overthrown. cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by Bentizil: 3:48pm On Jun 27, 2022
jimetagambo:

"If I want" underline that because that's the truth...
It'll be brutal and guys like you will be one of the people shouting of his brutality...
Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by jimetagambo: 4:01pm On Jun 27, 2022
ken6488:
I mean official statement

Not some random blog

I can create any blog and post any fake information

Give me link to the official kremilin saying that
I don't k ow why you are triggered. Are you Russian or related to Putin grin

So Times is now a blog.

Which newspaper company or media house is as big or newsworthy as Times in the shithole?

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by jimetagambo: 4:03pm On Jun 27, 2022
ken6488:
Check what you posted "could"

Even if that post is correct he didn't say will

Rubbish, trash propaganda will not save Ukraine

If you so much love Ukraine fly over there and fight for them
CAN or COULD is stil a BOAST grin

I remember putards saying Ukraine will fall in 2days after the war started, later Putards said Sunday. Well it's 16 weeks now grin

Re: Thousands Demonstrate In Madrid Ahead Of NATO Summit by Kingsnairaland(m): 4:48pm On Jun 27, 2022
Ukraine elite unit has lost more than 80% of its members since the war began. According to its commander, more than 80% of soldiers are either dead or wounded. It took 8 years for US and NATO to train them and Russian forces have destroyed it in only 4 months.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: India's Central Bank, RBI Announces International Trade Settlement In / Footage Of Americans Fighting In Bakhmut. / Doctor Delivers Bad News To Biden After His Fall On Stage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.