Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,866 members, 7,844,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Everything Pasta - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Everything Pasta (18069 Views)

Quick Pasta Meal Recipe For Students / How To Make Homemade Pasta (step By Step) / How To Prevent Pasta From Sticking (cooking Tip) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Everything Pasta by thimbook2(m): 7:31pm On Aug 16, 2011
grt post
Re: Everything Pasta by ariellewis: 7:13am On Aug 17, 2011
WOW!! all pasta recipe are awesome and All looks very yummy, =P
Re: Everything Pasta by Knight1(m): 12:17pm On Aug 17, 2011
are these ingredients available in Nigeria?
whats basil undecided
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 1:38pm On Aug 17, 2011
harakiri:

You cannot oppress me. I will soon start uploading cooking sessions on NL. I have had it with you!!!!
grin grin cheesy

Great pasta pix though. Very inspiring!
Waiting . . . cheesy

Knight1:

are these ingredients available in Nigeria?
whats basil undecided
I think they are. Below is a picture of basil
[img]http://quickgardens.files./2010/06/basil-in-a-bowl.jpg?w=570&h=427[/img]
It has a very nice smell and is used for cooking. It can be used to make pesto saue too.
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 1:50pm On Aug 17, 2011
Bacon, lettuce and tomato pasta salad

Ingredients :
corkscrew-shaped pasta or penne
1/2 cup milk
12 ounces lean bacon
3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 clove garlic, minced *
salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons chopped chives or scallion greens
5 heads Bibb lettuce [quartered] or 5 cups chopped romaine hearts

Procedure

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water. Drain and toss with the milk in a large bowl; set aside.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings from the pan.

Add the tomatoes, thyme and garlic to the pan and toss until warmed through; season with salt and pepper.

Crumble the bacon into bite-size pieces; set aside some quantity [1/4 cup] for garnish. Toss the remaining bacon and the tomato mixture with the pasta.

Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and 3 tablespoons chives with the pasta until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the lettuce; toss again to coat.

Garnish with the reserved bacon and the remaining 1 tablespoon chives

Enjoy!

Re: Everything Pasta by Nobody: 6:16am On Aug 18, 2011
^^^^^^ That looks yummy cheesy
Re: Everything Pasta by meyri: 6:34am On Aug 19, 2011
Why the maggi in pasta?
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 1:21pm On Aug 19, 2011
meyri:

Why the  maggi in pasta?
For the sauce?
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 9:08pm On Aug 22, 2011
Spaghetti del pescatore

Ingredients :
pound fresh clams
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
1 cup low-sodium, low-fat tomato sauce
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 pound spaghetti (1 1/2 cups cooked)
2 teaspoons olive oil

Procedure:

1. Place a large saucepan filled with water on to boil for the spaghetti.

2. Scrub clams and place in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cover with a lid and cook until shells open, about 2 minutes, shaking pan several times. Remove clams to a bowl, leaving the juice in the pan. (If juice is sandy, strain through a sieve lined with paper towels. Discard any clams that do not open.)

3. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper and white wine to the skillet. Boil to reduce liquid for about 1 minute. Lower heat to medium and add shrimp and tomato sauce. Simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes or until shrimp are pink; remove from heat. Sprinkle with parsley and add salt and pepper to taste.

4. Return clams to skillet and set aside, covered. Cook spaghetti in boiling water 8 to 9 minutes. Drain and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste and sauce. Serve on plate and top with clam sauce Per serving.
2 servings.

Enjoy!

This looks enticing. kiss
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 3:14pm On Aug 28, 2011
Lemon Pasta with Smoked Salmon Trim

Ingredients:
Spaghetti
8 oz smoked salmon trim, cut into 1" or so pieces.
salt for water
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
zest of two small lemons
juice of three small lemons
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup plus a little grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:

In a big pot of well salted water, cook your spaghetti until al dente.

When the pasta is approaching doneness, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add the garlic once the oil is hot and sauté for two to three minutes. Don't burn the garlic.

Add salmon and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.

Reserve a cup of the pasta water. Drain and add the pasta to the skillet. Toss well. Add the remaining ingredients. and toss well. If it feels like you need more sauce, add a little of the pasta water, which will be nice and starchy and help the sauce stick to the noodles.

Enjoy!

Re: Everything Pasta by Nobody: 3:24am On Aug 29, 2011
I'd probably omit the clams in that other recipe. I'm not the biggest fan lol.

The salmon one looks really yummy tongue
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 9:01pm On Aug 29, 2011
You don't like clams? I assume you wouldn't like paella, in that case.
Re: Everything Pasta by Smilenw(f): 10:37pm On Aug 29, 2011
I don't know why my recipe has not appeared here. Everytime I try to post, it says you have already posted, try later !sad
Dunno if this is going to get posted, but I'll try my luck-

@ Missy B, do you have any recipes for cheesy pasta? Was looking out for recipes for pleasing a tiny tummy  grin
Re: Everything Pasta by Nobody: 12:49am On Aug 30, 2011
Missy ★ B:
You don't like clams? I assume you wouldn't like paella, in that case.

Nope lol. I haven't had paella though.

Does lasagna count as pasta? I consider it pasta but I know of many who call it a casserole lol. I have a yummy recipe for that.
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 9:27am On Aug 30, 2011
ogugua88:

Nope lol. I haven't had paella though.

Does lasagna count as pasta? I consider it pasta but I know of many who call it a casserole lol. I have a yummy recipe for that.
Yes, lasagna counts as pasta.
I even made it 2 days ago, cut into pieces and straight to the freezer already. Lol!
Please, do post your recipe, I'll post mine too as soon as I'm less busy.
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 3:15pm On Aug 30, 2011
Smilenw:

I don't know why my recipe has not appeared here. Everytime I try to post, it says you have already posted, try later !sad
Dunno if this is going to get posted, but I'll try my luck-

@ Missy B, do you have any recipes for cheesy pasta? Was looking out for recipes for pleasing a tiny tummy  grin
Lol! Maybe it's the spambot.

PENNE WITH FOUR CHEESE?
Ingredients:
butter
Flour
2 cups of Milk
5 oz. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
4 oz. Fontina cheese, grated
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper[ground]
Penne pasta

Procedure
Cut your gorgonzola, fontina and emmental cheese into small pieces
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Stir in flour and cook for a  minute. Slowly whisk in milk and cook until slightly thickened. Whisk in Gorgonzala and Fontina. Cook and whisk until cheese is melted. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Combine the cheese and cooked pasta [ al dente]. Stir and serve.

Enjoy!

[img]http://www.erbeincucina.it/public/0202pastaquattrof.jpg[/img]
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 3:36pm On Aug 30, 2011
Lasagne

**I use already made besciamella but prepare the tomato with meat sauce[ragù] myself.

Tomatoe with meat sauce [ragù]
Ingredients :
2 tablespoons olive oil
onion, finely chopped*
celery, finely chopped*
carrot, finely chopped*
minced or coarsely ground lean beef, veal or pork
salt
1 cup dry white wine
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
maggi

I do not prepare the  ingredients with asterisks myself . . . Instead, I just use this
[img]http://www.findus.it/images/prodotti/pack/49_misto-per-soffritto.jpg[/img] I use it everytime along with sliced onions.

Procedure:
In a deep pot heat the oil. Add the chopped onion, and then carrot,celery and sauté briefly over medium heat until just translucent, not browned.

Add the minced beef, breaking it up with a fork or wooden cooking spoon. stir and cook only until the meat has lost its raw, red color. Add the wine, turn the heat up to medium high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the wine has evaporated.

Turn the heat down to medium, add the tomatoes and stir thoroughly. Add maggie cube(s) and nutmeg, black pepper any other desired seasoning.
Cook, uncovered, for a minimum of 30 minutes to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and check for salt.

Lasagna
Ingredients:

Mozzarella [square slices]
Grated parmesan cheese
Pasta sheets
Besciamella

Allow your sauce to cool so it doesn't 'melt' the pasta->

preheat oven to 200°C

Put some sauce in a plate, add some besciamella and mix thorougly

Cover the inner part of a rectangular baking dish with a little quantity of oil to prevent burning.

Then, distribute some sauce [already mixed with besciamella] on it and then add some pasta sheets to cover the bottom, taking care to place them next to each other, not one over another.

Add a layer of the tomato sauce [already mixed with besciamella] to cover the surface of all the pasta sheets and sprinkling over them some pieces of mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese.

Repeat these layers until you reach about a centimeter below the verge of the pan, finishing with the sauce, mozzarella and grated cheese.

Cover loosely with foil and Place into the pre-heated oven and allow to bake for about 20-30 minutes, until bubbling. Remove foil and increase heat to 350°C and allow to bake for another 6-7 minutes.  kiss  kiss
Enjoy!

[img]http://www.comune.luino.va.it/ricettario/images/497-lasagne-alla-bolognese-480x480.jpg[/img]

PS: * Compared to how mine looks, this is not a complimentary photo  cheesy

** There are different types of lasagne. Mine is Lasagne alla bolognese  kiss kiss kiss
Re: Everything Pasta by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 30, 2011
That penne looks tongue I wonder how available gorgonzola, fontina, and emmental cheeses are here. I don't think I've seen them in stores. I've never tried adding veggies in my lasagna, apart from onions and tomatoes of course lol. I'll have to try them both one day.

The lasagna recipe I use is no cakewalk. If anyone uses it, do set some hours aside as the sauce takes a while to simmer. The longer it's left, the better it tastes in my opinion.

1 pound Italian sausage (I usually use hot Italian sausage. I like spice cheesy )
3/4 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup red wine (I use cooking red wine. I don't know if that makes a difference)
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
12 lasagna noodles
16 ounces ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned (I use a medium sized pot). Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and red wine. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

The original directions call for the lasagna to be boiled. I don't boil lasagna because I always find that it is overcooked and falls apart easily while eating. I put hot (not boiling) water in a large tray or dish and leave the lasagna in there until they soften a bit.

In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

Unfortunately I deleted the picture I took of the layers. I guess this one will suffice for now *shrugs* lol

Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 10:34am On Aug 31, 2011
Your lasagne looks good. smiley I never realized you could make lasagne with ingredients like; egg, Italian sausage [salsiccia = My dad and brother love this like mad, esp. when grilled], parsley etc.

The original directions call for the lasagna to be boiled. I don't boil lasagna because I always find that it is overcooked and falls apart easily while eating.
A friend once told me this. The next time I make lasagne, I'll try boiling to see the difference. I hear, for best result, add salt and oil to the boiling water in which the pasta is to be cooked.
Re: Everything Pasta by tpia5: 12:18pm On Aug 31, 2011
^I think smilenw may have meant mac and cheese, which is an american staple.
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 1:00pm On Aug 31, 2011
In that case, I have no tried recipe. But here's one, with ham, I'd like to try out.

Ingredients
12 ounces whole grain elbow macaroni (dry)
12 ounces 1/2-inch diced ham, such as Farmland
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
1 medium onion, chopped
10 slices provolone cheese
10 slices American cheese

Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 325F degrees.

2.Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.

3.Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and spread half the drained macaroni in the bottom.

4.Scoop on half the onions and half the tomatoes, dolloping evenly over the surface of the macaroni.

5.Scoop on half the ham.

6.Layer the provolone on top of that.

7.Put the rest of the macaroni as a second layer; put the rest of the onions, tomatoes, and ham on top of that.

8.Top with the American cheese slices (be sure to unwrap them!!) and cover the pan with tented aluminum foil. It helps to spray the foil (underside only) with cooking spray also to help avoid sticking.

9.Bake for 30 minutes, covered, at 325F degrees.

10.Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes. You can also broil for a minute or 2 to brown up the cheese a bit.

8 servings.

Re: Everything Pasta by tpia5: 8:30pm On Aug 31, 2011
^^looks good. cheesy
Re: Everything Pasta by Smilenw(f): 1:48pm On Sep 01, 2011
Hey tpia & Missy B
I'm ok with both as long as 'tiny tummy' empties his plate  cheesy

Thanks Missy B for your recipe !This thread makes me so hungry and hence I look at it only after a meal  cool
Re: Everything Pasta by Smilenw(f): 2:39pm On Sep 01, 2011
Few years back, one fateful day when hunger pangs struck hard I whipped up an instant meal with spaghtetti and canned tuna. It takes less than 10 minutes, satiates my taste buds and has become my fav comfort food over the years.

Spaghetti with Tuna

Ingredients

Spaghetti
Tuna- 1 Can
Tomato Paste- 1 medium can
Maggi cubes-2
Chopped onion -1 medium
Oil- As required

Cook the spaghetti. Reserve some water.
In a skillet heat the oil and add the onions. Sauté the onions and add the tomato paste. Add some water retained earlier, to obatin  the desired consistency. Let it boil for a minute. Now add the tuna and the maggi cubes. Allow the sauce to boil for a minute or two. Mix the spaghetti and toss well. Serve hot.
Re: Everything Pasta by Bawss1(m): 4:51pm On Sep 01, 2011
^ Any pictures to go with your post? Seems mighty easy to prepare (the kind of stuff I like). Just want to see how it turns out.
Re: Everything Pasta by Smilenw(f): 5:27pm On Sep 01, 2011
^Nope sad But give it a try, say with smaller quantity and see if you like it. Most of us have these ingredients at home most of the time. If you like it, cool! If you don't, you haven't lost much. You can try and make something tried and tested with the rest of the ingredients cheesy Happy cooking !
Re: Everything Pasta by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 03, 2011
Missy ★ B:
Your lasagne looks good.  smiley I never realized you could make lasagne with ingredients like; egg, Italian sausage [salsiccia = My dad and brother love this like mad, esp. when grilled], parsley etc.
A friend once told me this. The next time I make lasagne, I'll try boiling to see the difference. I hear, for best result, add salt and oil to the boiling water in which the pasta is to be cooked.

The way I was making it before was sans egg and Italian sausage lol. I saw the recipe I posted last year and have been sold ever since. Just made some changes to it. I loooove salsiccia. I had it when I was in Italy. Far better than the ones here.

I've never tried making macaroni and cheese either (apart from the boxed stuff). I'll have to try that sometime soon.

Smilenw:
^Nope sad But give it a try, say with smaller quantity and see if you like it. Most of us have these ingredients at home most of the time. If you like it, cool! If you don't, you haven't lost much. You can try and make something tried and tested with the rest of the ingredients cheesy Happy cooking!

I will try your spaghetti on one of those days that I'm starving and want quick food lol. I am no good in whipping up food on the spot, and I've never tried spaghetti with tuna. Shall be interesting cheesy
Re: Everything Pasta by armyofone(m): 3:47pm On Sep 04, 2011
you dey serve today,
pls o pomodoro for moi.
whatever that is sef grin but like it.
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 4:01pm On Sep 04, 2011
armyofone:

you dey serve today,
pls o pomodoro for moi.
whatever that is sef grin but like it.

Lmao! Pomodoro = Tomato
Go over to the kitchen if ya belle deh cry. grin
Re: Everything Pasta by armyofone(m): 6:25pm On Sep 04, 2011
see all this oyinbo and wayo eh. they give it big name to attract pple.
so pomodoro na tomato, wetin make them no say tomato before,
Re: Everything Pasta by Smilenw(f): 7:07pm On Sep 04, 2011
ogugua88:

I will try your spaghetti on one of those days that I'm starving and want quick food lol. I am no good in whipping up food on the spot, and I've never tried spaghetti with tuna. Shall be interesting cheesy

Please do. I'll be waiting for the verdict smiley
Re: Everything Pasta by MissyB3(f): 12:58pm On Sep 07, 2011
Pasta with Zucchini and shrimp

Ingredients:
Zucchini [abundant]
maggi
Spaghetti
Olive oil
Onions
Shrimp
Cheese
Groung black pepper

Procedure:
Slice or julienne zucchini, slic onions and defrost shrimps[if frozen]

Heat oil in a pan ans sauté onions until soft

Add shrimp

Add your sliced zucchini after 5 minutes and season with maggi, curry, black pepper and any other desired seasoning.

Reduce heat to medium and allow zucchini to cook slowly

Now, cook spaghetti - al dente.

When pasta is ready, drain and empty into the pan of zucchini sauce.

Mix thorougly and serve. Sprinkle grated cheese on it.

One of my fav.  kiss  kiss

Enjoy!

[img]http://paradiserecipe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/spaghetti_zucchine_2-449x340.jpg
[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Quick Easy Recipe To Make A Sweet Tasty Peanut Burger By Yourself In Just 4 Minu / Chef Dammy Sings: I Can Cook And I Can Sing, I’m So Talented (Video) / Can You Eat Your Dead-by-nature Livestock?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.