Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,777 members, 7,955,967 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:01 PM

The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties (28438 Views)

Agents Of Rental Properties Needed / Oga Landlord - Software For Managing Rental Properties. / How Long To Re-coup Rental Properties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by blank(f): 3:54pm On Jul 26, 2011
Oga Spyder, can u be a bit more specific in giving your examples.
e.g In Ajah Lagos, land could cost N2m
Building an average 6units of 3 bedroom is N20m.
Expected rent is 600k to 800k.

That would be easier to put in perspective.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 26, 2011
^^^
My point exactly
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 4:51pm On Jul 26, 2011
blank:

Oga Spyder, can u be a bit more specific in giving your examples.
e.g In Ajah Lagos, land could cost N2m
Building an average 6units of 3 bedroom is N20m.
Expected rent is 600k to 800k.

That would be easier to put in perspective.

I think he promised to give more cost effective analysis later . . . . .
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by skido84: 8:46pm On Jul 26, 2011
@ arctic,thats more like it.you're getting the picture wink.Of course its high end but there's something for every1.its just about having a sense of aesthetics & excellence and applying it to everything we do.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Arctic(m): 9:20pm On Jul 26, 2011
Just to remind everyone that all the photos I posted are from other African countries.

Why can't Nigeria do the same and have a thriving tourism industry which would be another source of revenue.

Thanks

Arctic
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by skido84: 9:47pm On Jul 26, 2011
@arctic, if you can think it,then you can do it.Its pace setters n visionaries that"ll move this nation forward.stop wondering why the nation is mediocre and just move, however little.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Horus(m): 9:56pm On Jul 26, 2011
If we have to solve the housing crisis in Nigeria, the way to go is to build high rise residential towers in cities.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 10:08pm On Jul 26, 2011
Horus:

If we have to solve the housing crisis in Nigeria, the way to go is to build high rise residential towers in cities.

Bros, were you an SMN member
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 10:10pm On Jul 26, 2011
Arctic:

Just to remind everyone that all the photos I posted are from other African countries.

Why can't Nigeria do the same and have a thriving tourism industry which would be another source of revenue.

Thanks

Arctic

Please, can you help us find out how much those houses cost to build?
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by rastaman20(m): 10:28pm On Jul 26, 2011
skido84:

@arctic, if you can think it,then you can do it.Its pace setters n visionaries that"ll move this nation forward.stop wondering why the nation is mediocre and just move, however little.

I think the same thing too, we have to move forward. we can do it, believe in ourselfs.

I bet it, if one individual Nigerian happens to embark on this project, before you  knows it, we will have more than fifty of those around the big cities in Nigeria.

One thing in Nigeria is who starts first.

One example is the Network that we are having now in Nigeria, in the 80s, i cannt believe that my Mom will be using a telephone in the village talkless of a mobile phone.

Please keep posting those pics, cause it is an eye openner for alot of Nigerians that have the money and dont know how or where to invest it

Becuase alot are only thinking about OIL,  buying tankers ,maybe becuase of the quick returns , and the profits too, but when there is a change of goverment.you will see them runing up and down bribing here and there becuase of the risk involved on there investement which is one of the probelms that we are having now in this country.

Alot of them are following this thread and their eyes are wide open.

Give a man fish, he will always stays hungry.

Teach him how to fish.him and his household will never stay hungry again.

so please Oga spyder880, all eyes are on you.inform us more.
For your reward is here.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 11:20pm On Jul 26, 2011
rastaman20:

I think the same thing too, we have to move forward. we can do it, believe in ourselfs.

I bet it, if one individual Nigerian happens to embark on this project, before you  knows it, we will have more than fifty of those around the big cities in Nigeria.

One example is the Network that we are having now in Nigeria, in the 80s, i cannt believe that my Mom will be using a telephone in the village talkless of a mobile phone.

Please keep posting those pics, cause it is an eye openner for alot of Nigerians that have the money and dont know how or where to invest it

Becuase alot are only thinking about OIL,  buying tankers ,maybe becuase of the quick returns , and the profits too, but when there is a change of goverment.you will see them runing up and down bribing here and there becuase of the risk involved on there investement which is one of the probelms that we are having now in this country.

For your reward is here.

Thank you sir.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by ifebosco: 11:38pm On Jul 26, 2011
[color=#006600][/color]gracias hermano , por donde estas viviendo??

rastaman20:

I bet it, if one individual Nigerian happens to embark on this project, before you knows it, we will have more than fifty of those around the big cities in Nigeria.

Becuase alot are only thinking about OIL, buying tankers ,maybe becuase of the quick returns , and the profits too, but when there is a change of goverment.you will see them runing up and down bribing here and there becuase of the risk involved on there investement which is one of the probelms that we are having now in this country.

For your reward is here.
gracias hermano
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 1:04am On Jul 27, 2011
Hello my people, to continue from where we stopped and after giving thought to the demands of some of my major partners here, I have decided to prepare an small analysis of the various housing types and their comparisons.

Building in Nigeria could be very challenging, to start with, the prospective investor should know that he will be his own mini government. You will pump your own water, hire your security to guard the site, build a road to gain access to your site, stand an electric pole and connect your wires and pay cash. In some remote areas you have to mount your own generators to work in your site.  All these I am mentioning has a direct impact on costs as all these raise the costs of the house while increasing the stress level of the builder or owner, or both.
Let us arrange the points to consider before we draw comparisons on the best courses of action.

City to city
In business surveys, one of the most important decisions is the target market which you aim to satisfy. Investors in properties should first look at the town or city they want to invest and note what is obtainable there. For cities like Enugu, it is well known that it has a very large students population due to the prevalence of higher institutions in the city, as at last count, we have about 5 universities and this will mean that hostels will be in serious demand. For Lagos, the city is very populous and this will mean residential properties will be in hot demand. More people are still moving to live and work in Lagos. Another type of building that will be profitable in Lagos is the commercial units like shops, malls and office complexes. Because of the seat of federal government being in Abuja, lots of ministries, parastatals, banks and company head offices and other affiliated services, there is a tendency that the blocks of self contain apartment will sell very well in Abuja. There is also the assumption that these offices has a high number of younger workers between the ages of 25-40 The only problem with this is the demolition of illegal structures as a big risk since the city council may never approve such multi dwelling places, the scarcity of such houses will create a huge demand difficult to fill.
Further up north, the populace there are not so bothered about housing as many people can live in one house and still feel happy.

House to house

We all know the block of flats may be the costliest to build, this is as a result of the multiple floors as builders and investors try to get more space upstairs as the reach up. But it might not be the most profitable to own. Duplexes on its own part are small in comparison to a block of flats but a duplex in a nice location could fetch more money than a block of flats. I know a man who owns a large duplex an uses it a holiday home since the family don’t live in the country. He later rented out this house to a bank and was collection more money that 3 blocks of flats can make.
Location matters most in properties and as such the location you property is built will have much impact on the price, however the single rooms are not in conformance with this rule, in fact, the deeper the rooms are located, the better you may find the low class of tenants willing to live in them. Some of these tenants are poor farmers and will live in the interiors so they could be closer to the to their farms.
If you site a student’s hostel too far from their school compound, they may not be willing to pay much money to rent it. Students love to live in areas where they can walk to school as any transport spending means they will be dipping into their pocket money often.  To get the best of a student’s hostel, separate it into male and female hostels. The parents paying these fees most time come along to pay these fees and inspect what they are paying for. But nobody will love to pay for their daughter’s hostel in a room between two male rooms. This will give a somewhat negative impression to the parent. Take steps to keep student cultists out of your premises, but it’s very hard to know them.

I must talk about the ease of management of these houses. When you think of properties, remember tenants wahala. It is often joked that the richer the tenant, the more trouble they can give, a duplex renter will remember to cover himself in all types of legal documentation to forestall a long court case when the tenant refuses to pay or leave. The people living in a face me I face you rooms may not have the cash to prosecute a long legal battle but their squabbles will surely give a landlord/house manager sleepless nights. In yard management issues, the bungalow renters seem to be the best behaved as they are rich enough to understand how to best use the property but still not be ready to make trouble with the owners or managers. The duplex renters sometimes are the most troublesome, some of them will want to think they are richer than their landlords and will like to tell the man ‘’ Oga landlord, travel and see my castle in Kano’’
Just prepare yourself for a lot of leg walk to collect your rents if you are renting rooms as default rate is high and tenants are not so rich to pay as and when due. But some will pay, and some landlords always tell me that it’s better to own flats where one or two tenants out of six will pay at the end of the month than to own a duplex where the only tenant may not be able to pay because all his stocks crashed when Sanusi decided to play hard ball with Cecilia and Erastus.

Conclusion
1. I am of the opinion that the block of flats, especially the 6 flats and 8 flats are the best properties to own for the average investor who can afford them.  The cost of land is cheap, the building is costly to build but fetches more rent and is more reliable to provide rents on a continuous basis.
2. I am also of the opinion that the ordinary room are the most profitable of all, but out of fashion now as living conditions improve the world over and emphasis is now on improved housing quality.
3. That you should start with what you have and continue to build up as Rome was not built in a day.
4. That it is better to start building flats before you progress to bungalows and finally to duplexes as the later is for more established investors.
5. Students don’t worry too much; they can live in your house for a full year and not call you on phone for a single day.
6. If you are managing your house yourself, get close to your tenants and become friendly while remaining firm and insist on sanitation while you carry out regular maintenance works.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 2:09am On Jul 27, 2011
^^^ I so much agree with you and that is why i would wanna see the complete analysis of the block of apartment . . . .
However, will be nice if someone could find reliable people to rent it or if possible a corporate body and wont have to deal with stubborn people
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 2:10am On Jul 27, 2011
Oga Spyder, i think will be dangerous to be friends with the tenants, what would u do if the tenant wont pay?
How do you evict a friend from your house?

1 Like

Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 10:56am On Jul 27, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Oga Spyder, i think will be dangerous to be friends with the tenants, [b]what would u do if the tenant wont pay?
How do you evict a friend from your house?[/b]

Then our friendship will end that day grin
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 2:01pm On Jul 27, 2011
spyder880:

Then our friendship will end that day grin

Ha ha ha . . . I would rather keep the relationship as business.
I will be nice to them and make sure all is needed is given.
Even celebrate them, cos i need them as much as they need me, but i wont be too close to allow "no payment of rent" . . Lol
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 2:10pm On Jul 27, 2011
For all you that sent mails to my inbox, I got it all and am processing the request. We have a new list of lands from different parts of town.
For all those I have not replied, please be patient as my men are all over town making sure the lands we show you will be free from all encumberances.
Thank you all.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 27, 2011
spyder880:

For all you that sent mails to my inbox, I got it all and am processing the request. We have a new list of lands from different parts of town.
For all those I have not replied, please be patient as my men are all over town making sure the lands we show you will be free from all encumberances.
Thank you all.
Thats a very tricky position to be in especially when dealing with smart people
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 2:13pm On Jul 27, 2011
spyder880:

Thank you all.

Men, this has to be your full time job, cos i wonder how you gonna have time for anything else
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by rastaman20(m): 3:40pm On Jul 27, 2011
Learning and noting down.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by rastaman20(m): 3:46pm On Jul 27, 2011
@ifebosco:Vivo en Amercia de sur, un páis llena de sabor, salsa, cafe, y alegeria.llevo quince años aqui trabajando como un negro para puedo vivir como un blanco. grin grin grin grin grin.

Y tu mi gran hermano,. cuentemi de ti.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 3:49pm On Jul 27, 2011
@ Oga fhemmmy, I wonder how busy I will get if I can concentrate on only building as a business. I am sure my productivity and results will improve, just that am still scared to resign now. I mostly do evening duties (3-9pm) most times and even work nights, but who says life is easy? Man has to struggle till we achieve our personal targets. May God continue to give us health and strenght and sustain our drive so we can satisfy more people. Amen
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by jerryben12: 4:28pm On Jul 27, 2011
spyder880:

@ Oga fhemmmy, I wonder how busy I will get if I can concentrate on only building as a business. I am sure my productivity and results will improve, just that am still scared to resign now. I mostly do evening duties (3-9pm) most times and even work nights, but who says life is easy? Man has to struggle till we achieve our personal targets. May God continue to give us health and strenght and sustain our drive so we can satisfy more people. Amen

Spyder which kind work u dey do for night? U be police? Lol

1 Like

Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Natudu: 5:01pm On Jul 27, 2011
I fear o!

Good thread. Watching this space closely.

Thanks Spyder.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 5:27pm On Jul 27, 2011
spyder880:

I keep having more respect for you the more you talk.
It takes a responsible man to take care of things and make sure the family are well taken cared of . . . keep up the good work my brother
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Costa2000(m): 5:47pm On Jul 27, 2011
@ Rastaman tu llevo quince años viviendo alli?, eres un viejosito jajajjaja ( aka ochie),es una broma mi hermano,aqui yo llevar doce años pero todo esta bien y megusta mucho esta pais,trabajando como los negros para vivir como los blancos,cuidate mi hermano y suerte. Ka ofia dika enwe amaroya.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 6:07pm On Jul 27, 2011
Costa2000:

@ Rastaman tu llevo quince años viviendo alli?, eres un viejosito jajajjaja ( aka ochie),es una broma mi hermano,aqui yo llevar doce años pero todo esta bien y megusta mucho esta pais,trabajando como los negros para vivir como los blancos,cuidate mi hermano y suerte. Ka ofia dika enwe amaroya.

Na wa oh . . . .
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by blank(f): 6:16pm On Jul 27, 2011
@ Rastaman you took fifteen years of living there?, You're a viejosito jajajjaja (aka ochi), is a joke my brother, I took twelve years here but all is well and much this country, working as blacks to live as whites, cuidate my brother and luck. Ka ofia dika enwe amaroya.

I try abi i no try. Spanish is not easy o.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2011
We have turned up multiple propeties for sale from my property agency division. We have some new and surpising propeties in all parts of town. For those looking at residential plots, we now have some new places for between N1.5m and N1.8m that are good enough to build blocks of flats on. Contact us if you are interested for inspections.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 6:50pm On Jul 27, 2011
^^^ Where is the analysis oh?
You dey keep the Son of man in a suspense oh
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Costa2000(m): 6:54pm On Jul 27, 2011
@Blank u did very well my sister,keep it on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

2019 Bathroom Ideas That Work / Two-Storey Building Collapses In Abuja, Traps 10 People / Cost Of Buying A Duplex In Lagos| Brook Assets And Resources

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.