Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,143 members, 7,829,086 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station (4096 Views)

Shiroro Hydro Power Station To Increase Power Generation By 300MW / Solar Power Station / How To Build A Computer School And Profit In Two Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by EzeUche(m): 2:49pm On Jul 27, 2011
Anambra to build 260mw power station

ANAMBRA State Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with a consortium of local and foreign investors for the construction of a barge-bearing 260 megawatts power plant estimated at the cost $350 million.

The power plant will be located at the bank of the River Niger, Onitsha.

Those who penned their signatures in the deal included Governor Peter Obi and Chief Dennis Okafor, who represented Anambra State; Russel Schwartz represented Denca Services Ltd, while Daniel Oshiogwemde, an official of Stanbic IBTC Bank, signed on behalf of the bank.

Obi, in a remark at the brief ceremony, observed that energy supply remains very critical to the nation’s economic growth. He was optimistic that the country’s economy could compete favorably with every other economy in the world with adequate power supply and other auxiliary infrastructure.

to the governor, the project on completion will serve industries and businesses in Onitsha, Nnewi and other parts of the state.
He said his administration will give the consortium and other potential investors hoping to come to the state all necessary support to complete the project on schedule in accordance to specifications.

Anambra Commissioner for Public Utilities, Water Resources and Rural Development, Emeka Nwankwu, said the project was in line with the drive to make the state one of the strongest economies in the country to further attract investors and business.

Nwankwu said one of state administration’s priorities was to boost the economy through the improvement of necessary infrastructure.
Schawartz, who led the team of investors, said construction would soon commence in full swing, adding that arrangements had been concluded for installation of plant turbine.

http://www.momentng.com/en/news/3307/anambra-to-build-260mw-power-s.html
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by ak47mann(m): 4:09pm On Jul 27, 2011
we need it for our business can drive faster and cost of living especially in accommodation will become more cheaper nice one governor obi cool
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by chino11(m): 7:08pm On Jul 27, 2011
Anambra on the move to becoming economic giant in Nigeria. With the Orient refinery, Onitsha Port, Cargo Airport and biggest commercial center in West Africa, the Industrial Hub of Nnewi in place what more does Anambra need to compete with Taiwan and Dubai. Peter Obi ride on
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by ak47mann(m): 7:12pm On Jul 27, 2011
^^^^
anambra is going to show case her full capacity soon cheesy cheesy nwanne onitsha ga adi egwu very soon cheesy
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by Afam4eva(m): 7:19pm On Jul 27, 2011
This will be a good project. Onitsha and Nnewi needs this.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by seanet02: 7:26pm On Jul 27, 2011
Is Obi not going next year? He better not embark on white elephant projects that he has no vision for in the past six years. No problems sha o ACN will rescue ibos next year
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by EzeUche(m): 7:31pm On Jul 27, 2011
seanet02:

Is Obi not going next year? He better not embark on white elephant projects that he has no vision for in the past six years. No problems sha o ACN will rescue ibos next year

Jealousy
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by otapiapia: 7:32pm On Jul 27, 2011
Is it a hydro-electric power plant?

I do not think such a source of power generation is what will be suitable for industrial use as stated in the article. The huge sediments in that part of the Niger can not sustain a hydro-power plant.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by chino11(m): 7:41pm On Jul 27, 2011
^^^^ ACN is an ass party. The yorobah acn party will never be allowed into the center of igboland- Anambra. ACN yorobah party is likened to a plaque. You and ACN should be more pre-occuppied by the mess going on in Lagos and other Yoruba states. I heard the gov of Osun state has since relocated to Lagos. For the past 3 months executive gov of a state left his state to live in another state. What a woefull people- yorobahs. Peter Obi of Anambra is performing more than all the yorobah gov put together
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by chino11(m): 7:44pm On Jul 27, 2011
otapiapia:

Is it a hydro-electric power plant?

I do not think such a source of power generation is what will be suitable for industrial use as stated in the article. The huge sediments in that part of the Niger can not sustain a hydro-power plant.

Its a gas plant
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by kasiem(m): 8:01pm On Jul 27, 2011
chino11:

^^^^ ACN is an Bottom party. The yorobah acn party will never be allowed into the center of igboland- Anambra. ACN yorobah party is likened to a plaque. You and ACN should be more pre-occuppied by the mess going on in Lagos and other Yoruba states. I heard the gov of Osun state has since relocated to Lagos. For the past 3 months executive gov of a state left his state to live in another state. What a woefull people- yorobahs. Peter Obi of Anambra is performing more than all the yorobah gov put together
nono, the last time that i checked, it was reported that the man went to senegal to reinforce his charms. And also i heard the new governor ogun, gathered his fellow to go and fight with one bi-courtney. It was reported that the tout of a governor was in front of the gang with bottle, as they were shouting," they must go!" a woefull people- yorobahs. Peter Obi of Anambra is performing more than all the yorobah gov put together
[quote][/quote] nono, the last time that i checked, it was reported that the man went to senegal to reinforce his charms. And also i heard the new governor ogun, gathered his fellow to go and fight with one bi-courtney. It was reported that the tout of a governor was in front of the gang with bottle, as they were shouting," they must go!"
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by dempeople(m): 8:11pm On Jul 27, 2011
I'm happy for my state Anambra and indeed the SE but, the project is expensive by at least $70m at $350m for 260mw. As its a barge-bearing plant, it surely has the ability to be mobile. Will the turbine be gas or water-powered?

Present and future commercial and industrial activities + residential needs will need at least 4000mw. The state gov should also endeavour to setup a plant near the gas reserves of Anambra West.

We would also need the gas reserves to supply other SE states for power generation and domestic uses.

Coal deposits of Enugu should also be utilized.

The SE needs at least 20000mw of power generation.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by otapiapia: 8:26pm On Jul 27, 2011
^^^

How many industries exist to use up even 4000MW, talkless of 20000MW?

The whole of Ghana with better vibrant factories is using about 1000MW of electricity.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by onyengbu: 8:46pm On Jul 27, 2011
all of you jumping up and down over Peter Obi's never-ending media stunt never cease to amaze me.

How long is it going to take you guys to see that peter obi is the biggest flop in governance as long as south east is concerned now.

A governor that goes about building billboards of what he will do and what he did is obviously a failure.

When a governor is working, you dont need his billboard or adverts to know it.

How many bill boards and adverts did ngige create when he was in power?

When was the last time any of you visited awka or should i say anambra.
My state is going down by day and you guys are here making noise for that loser.

People reason for once
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by dempeople(m): 8:51pm On Jul 27, 2011
The thing that so pisses me off is when Nigerians talk about 9ja, they always try to compare it with other countries and using those countries as a yardstick for our failure/sucess/progress.

Please, the Ghana you are writing about, is about less than a quarter of 9ja's population, has fewer industries and less developed.

The SE's present and future industries + the population - being the most densely populated area in Africa, needs a lot of power generation and even 20000mw is a conservative estimate.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by ektbear: 8:54pm On Jul 27, 2011
I think he is right. If you provide 20k MW today to the SE zone, I'm sure more than 1/2 of it would be used within 6 months.

Electricity => industrialization
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by EkoIle1: 9:06pm On Jul 27, 2011
lol

What can I say,
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by ak47mann(m): 9:08pm On Jul 27, 2011
onye_ngbu*:

all of you jumping up and down over Peter Obi's never-ending media stunt never cease to amaze me.

How long is it going to take you guys to see that peter obi is the biggest flop in governance as long as south east is concerned now.

A governor that goes about building billboards of what he will do and what he did is obviously a failure.

My state is going down by day and you guys are here making noise for that loser.

People reason for once

see another ngige surpporters mr both obi and ngige are good why cant you surport your current governor so that he can do more, remember obi administator are collectively  tackling all our infracstructure at the same time from comisioning the new water project that is already in place ready to take off soon when u open your tap in your house water will be running none stop like you are in abroad,
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by seanet02: 9:09pm On Jul 27, 2011
onye_ngbu*:

People reason for once

thank you. Its a pity that after using close to seven years with nothing to show for the revenues he now wants to build a phantom power station. I dey laugh o
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by Onlytruth(m): 9:24pm On Jul 27, 2011
A gold fish has no hiding place.
Obi should do his best. When he leaves, the succeeding governor will continue from wherever he stops.
Bottomline is that this is a very good development.

All these Obi vs Ngige mindset is sickening. We are all Anambrarians. undecided
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by onyengbu: 9:31pm On Jul 27, 2011
ak47mann:

see another ngige surpporters mr both obi and ngige are good why cant you surport your current governor so that he can do more, remember obi administator are collectively  tackling all our infracstructure at the same time from comisioning the new water project that is already in place ready to take off soon when u open your tap in your house water will be running none stop like you are in abroad,

Support WHO?! For how long?!!
That man is a 419 and I can say that loud. I am a full born of anambra and I have not lived outside anambra more than 2 years.

Peter Obi is not GOOD! Simple! He is eithe very confused or a very big thief.

Common on!!!! We live here you know. Everything is on pause in anambra.
Almost every section of the government is on strike and that liar of a governor is not ashamed of showing his face on newspapers and billboards.

Which water are you talking about sef? The one you read on newspaper? Meen I live in awka and that promise has been on since his inception every body here is using his/her private borehole.

Ngige has nothing to do with Peter Obi's failures abeg.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by otapiapia: 9:35pm On Jul 27, 2011
dem_people:

The thing that so pisses me off is when Nigerians talk about 9ja, they always try to compare it with other countries and using those countries as a yardstick for our failure/sucess/progress.

Please, the Ghana you are writing about, is about less than a quarter of 9ja's population, has fewer industries and less developed.

The SE's present and future industries + the population - being the most densely populated area in Africa, needs a lot of power generation and even 20000mw is a conservative estimate.  

I do not think I brought up naija in my post. We are talking of the SE only here, right? Which I compared to Ghana considering it's size.

My argument is that at the moment generating 20000MW electricity will result in under-utilization. It will take more industries springing up to get that point. Honestly, I do not see what could attract that large concentration of industries to the area. size.

My argument is that at the moment generating 20000MW electricity will result in under-utilization. It will take more industries springing up to get that point. Honestly, I do not see what could attract that large concentration of industries to the area.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by ektbear: 9:41pm On Jul 27, 2011
^-- Supposedly Lagos State's energy consumption today is 10k+ MW. They get about 1K MW from the FG, and the rest is generated privately.

So the amount the government supplies less than 1/10th of the demand.

Building 20K today for the SE is probably not a bad idea. Whatever you don't use you can sell off, so not a big deal. And the demand might grow faster than you think.

With this sort of thing, I think it is better to overbuild than underbuild. You can always find a buyer of electricity in Africa; after all this continent in general doesn't have enough power. If somehow Nigeria overbuilds, then it can sell excess to Togo, Benin Republic, Cameroon, etc
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by ak47mann(m): 9:55pm On Jul 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Supposedly Lagos State's energy consumption today is 10k+ MW. They get about 1K MW from the FG, and the rest is generated privately.

Building 20K today for the SE is probably not a bad idea. Whatever you don't use you can sell off, so not a big deal. And the demand might grow faster than you think.

With this sort of thing, I think it is better to overbuild than underbuild. You can always find a buyer of electricity in Africa; after all this continent in general doesn't have enough power. If somehow Nigeria overbuilds, then it can sell excess to Togo, Benin Republic, Cameroon, etc
the real son of the soil ekt bear cool
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by dempeople(m): 10:05pm On Jul 27, 2011
Bravo ekt-bear, u beat me to it.

@otapiapia,

You've got to understand that lack of adequate power supply crippled industries in the SE. A lot of businesses closed due to this. The industrial clusters in Anambra and Abia are enough to gulp a chunk of MWs not to mention what would happen if there's consistent power supply.

I grew up in the SE and I had a printing business when i was still in 9ja. I must know what I'm saying.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by vitality22(m): 8:18am On Jul 28, 2011
Oh onitsha my lovely town, it shall be well with you. Peter Obi ride, we are solidly behind you.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by initstime: 8:23am On Jul 28, 2011
PLS WHAT IS THE PROJECT DURATION FOR THIS PROPOSED ANAMBRA 260 MW POWER STATION?
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 28, 2011
This is a very nice idea.
@Onye-Ngbu, It does not really matter when one repents, what matters is the repentance.

The EPZ and this Power are solid moves that can spring smaller venture that will create jobs and stop the drain of top notch human resources from the state. I wonder if they are fallout out from the South Easts Economic summit.
Do you realise that we are training our children for Lagos, Abuja and Rivers, only the mid performers remain behind.

Please lets not criticise persons but criticise issues objectively, and I have one Issue!

May I ask the rational behind mounting the Power Station on a Barge? We still have land in Onitsha and surroundings to host a power station.
Unless mobility of the power station is a major business consideration, hosting the power station on a barge will create
1 High running cost
2 Security threat and an easy terrorist target
3 Possible theft risk
4 Easy discontinuation of the business, through plant re-sell.

These are not really desirable. I suggest that the Plant be moved inland, as power plants have national security implications.
We should also explore the possiblity of building up larger capacity using modular approach. Anambra state is also rich in Lignite (poorly formed coal) may be we can easily find coal if we explore futher. But in terms of comparative advantage, a coal powered plant with supplies from Enugu makes more sense, even though it is not immediately tenable as no body in mining in Enugu at the moment.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 28, 2011
Nice bu Obi, @ ekt-bear, am begining to like you, and you know why
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by jaybee3(m): 10:08am On Jul 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

How do you suggest the excess power is sold/transmitted across states considering the fact that the major huddle after power generation is transmission.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by leoanrd200: 10:16am On Jul 28, 2011
we pray and hope it will not be abandoned project. obi abandoned some road project for years now.one example is amansie,ebenebe,oba rd.ngigie started it and obi stopped it till now.obi please help your people.
Re: Anambra To Build 260mw Power Station by Johnpaul2k2(m): 10:17am On Jul 28, 2011
please this thread is for people of anambra or SOUTH EAST,
i think the people of  anambra including myself and SOUTH EAST has realize the need to develop our region instead of building MANSIONS in most part of ARMAJIRI ZONE and LAZY SOUTH WEST AREAS , NDI IGBO contributes 20% (if not 30 or 40%) of revenue in Lagos only,has the majority of infrastructures in Nigeria, use our MANPOWER to develop other people's states. This is the time to think twice

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Mulabux.com Legit Or Scam? / Buy Cheaper Empty Rubber Drums In Lagos / Who Else Was A Victim Of 1960bet Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.