Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? (11644 Views)

What Was Your First Job, And What Do You Do Now? / My First Job Experience After School As A Lady. / At What Age Did You Land Your First Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Threesha(f): 9:18am On Jul 11, 2022
What was your first job? Most of us don’t forget our debut in the workforce – for good or bad reasons.

Our first job taught us things that may have shaped our career path or what we’re like in our professional lives.

What is an important lesson that your first job taught you? Share your stories and learnings with others

First job: Receptionist
Lesson: always be open to learning. I learned organizational skills,
People management and behavior photography,
Video recording and
Video editing (it was a small media company)

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by doggedfighter(f): 9:23am On Jul 11, 2022
Keep moving until you get your desired job.

Don't be too loyal nuturing another man's business that you forget yourself.

You can never inherit his business.

His children and family will .

When you expire you will be kicked out !

Think of yourself first !

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Nobody: 9:23am On Jul 11, 2022
1. People would LICK ASS to be recognized. I'm not talking about small ass licking, i mean these guys can literally stick their tongues up their bosses anuses, even push their heads into their colons if they ask them to push harder. As someone who's a realist, it irritates me

2. Nobody is your friend. One of my collegues monitored me waiting for me to slip up in someway just to get me fired and earm his promotion, simply because he's been there longer and we were earning the same.

3. Don't die for your job. You'll only get the 'one minute silence' thingy which nobody will do.

4. Don't date someone from work. It mostly never ends well.

5. Jobs are life draining. Remember to play and have fun when you have free time. Money will be there till jesus comes, your life goes.

136 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Oyindamolah: 9:26am On Jul 11, 2022
I learnt that production was the order of the day and one minute lost could cost the company millions in a month.

Time management

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by rottable(m): 9:27am On Jul 11, 2022
I work as an ICT Teacher in schools. 90%of what I know now I learnt it there

23 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Oyindamolah: 9:27am On Jul 11, 2022
Thantayo:
People would LICK ASS to be recognized. Im
What type of company is this?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Rastaramsey(m): 10:10am On Jul 11, 2022
I learnt you should work smart not work hard smiley
Them use my head when I work for POS that time...

I go Waka like goat go collect money for bank still Waka come bank undecided

Las Las person no go collect pass 10k

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by preacherdark(m): 10:28am On Jul 11, 2022
Don't let anyone knows the secret you use to make your work go flawless. Once the secret leaks you will seem to be important, that's your identity

Nobody at work is your friend, don't let anyone knows your personal life except your name

Don't date anyone at work

When people are speaking, only listen. When you are told to speak, speak less but let silence be your ultimate goal.

Before you answer any query, or type any message, respond to any message at work or what have you. Write is down, eat, drink and sleep on it before you hit send, in the morning you will find clarity.

104 Likes 12 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Authoreety: 12:29pm On Jul 11, 2022
Notin
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Olachase(m): 12:29pm On Jul 11, 2022
Teach me say as u day work make you day save too, I remember three years ago I was working for one Plc company Maintenance Technician good salary, no be say I be handsome guy like that hoo buh girls day rush me, u kW na young boy in his 24 making money, I con still surrand myself with guy's way day party club every Friday, I think say na so life go day sweet, my brother 2020 during covid19 na so company drop many of us, two months later account Don dry eyes open sense come back, those my friends later kW say dem Don sack me for work if I call them no day pick, I no surprise about those girls I kW say na money make them day follow me, buh believe me their pus*sy hear ham for my hand (thanks to virga1000) grin grin the nigga self support my ministry, to cut the story shot 2021 I got another job still my maintenance technician job one of this guys called me guy how far longest time u just forget us like that, see people way Don run for me grin grin werèy ask where u con day like this? I tell ham say I day Ondo I day help my mama farm me way I day lagos, them won spoil my life second time grin grin grin

98 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Channah1(f): 12:30pm On Jul 11, 2022
Front desk personnel. my experience here taught me to have good interpersonal and communication skills; confidence too.

It helped build my confidence because it gave me exposure to the corporate world where I got to meet with the high and mighty in the society at quite an early age and stage of my life. As in.. it sort of place me in a position where I get to determine who meets with my boss for a chat and who doesn't. In the process, I got bolder and more confident to work anywhere, no matter the board of trustees or directors involved. No shaking.

Till now, I command respect with my boldness anywhere I work.

As for what lesson it taught me.... It taught me to always be on top of my game by constantly self-training at any given opportunity so I can be at par and current with the moving trend of the corporate world and the labour market at large; to avoid being left behind.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by FavourWrites(f): 12:30pm On Jul 11, 2022
My first job taught me that Adulthood na scam

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Slurity(m): 12:30pm On Jul 11, 2022
It teach me tolerance in the face of embarrassment, if it is not your own business, be ready to take nonsense else, you are out

5 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by meobizy(f): 12:30pm On Jul 11, 2022
Office politics; the oldies may like you but will never step out of the hive to defend your interest.

Work from now till tomorrow, just make sure not to kill yourself in the process. You are not the first nor will be the last to take the position.

You will get forgotten. It may take a while or happen fast, however it is inevitable. Don’t try to please everyone.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by LordIsaac(m): 12:31pm On Jul 11, 2022
That all school owners are the same. grin

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by codeigniter(m): 12:31pm On Jul 11, 2022
I learnt nothing �, i no dey hear words, normals

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Uzomacharles: 12:31pm On Jul 11, 2022
I no just learn anything...

Wetin you wan learn for bet shop wey you go dey get shortage?

Quit the job after 1week

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by ecolime(m): 12:31pm On Jul 11, 2022
Engineering intern: Taught me to be hardworking, open to learning and be emotionally intelligent.

2023 is almost here guys, get your PVC and vote the right candidate else there won't be jobs any longer except for Agbero work.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Tunechi5(m): 12:32pm On Jul 11, 2022
Payment before service

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by sureway1(m): 12:32pm On Jul 11, 2022
Hard work doesn't pay, diligence does...

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Udemzy05: 12:33pm On Jul 11, 2022
Don't look at others,the fact that one person is lazy and not doing his job well doesn't mean you act lazy too, you don't know who is watching.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by judedwriter(m): 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2022
To be financially independent...

Much Later I discovered financial independence can only come through your inborn skills.

7 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Emilokan1(m): 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2022
don't leave home without your transport fare grin

9 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by CaveAdullam: 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2022
1. Be competent.

2. Give no room for complacency; it will be used against you in the future.

3. Always go with the required tools or materials for work.

4. By all means avoid excuses; it will give you might to challenge anyone who wants to use their lackadaisical attitude to limit you.

5. Don't argue with your boss. Answer yes!

6. Suggest ideas to your boss why praise him. Your boss doesn't need your ideas by the way.

7. You can't change an already established system, you are there for the money, work for it and get out.

8. Respect your senior colleagues, if not, they will work against you.

9. Respect your junior colleagues, they can make work faster and run some shitty games for you.

10. Respect the janitors and other staff not directly connected to the activities of the business. They will help you someday. Tip them from time to time. They can defend you at the right moment.

11. Respect your clients or customers. Falling on the wrong side will either affect your profits or salary.

12. Customers and clients want praise. Saturate them with it. It takes nothing from you, just mere words.

13. Don't argue with your boss or superior. Doing the opposite will help him spot loopholes in your line of work and use them against you.

14. Learn how to defend yourself especially when you make mistakes. Explain yourself rather than apologize. You need competence to pull this string though.

15. Don't separate yourself from your colleagues, work with them so that you'll get a glimpse of what's going on.

16. Maintain your standard. Don't be cajoled into any nonsense. This sends a message to your colleagues that you are different and can't easily be fooled.

17. Office romance must be avoided. If you don't have the mental fortitude and deceptiveness to pull office romance, forget it.

18. Always do your work on time and finish on time.

19. Use free time to do other useful activities. It can be within or outside your scope of work. E.g reading, writing, teaching, etc.

20. Only argue with your boss when that month is the last you will be working with him.

21. Always pay homage to your superior's superior. This person will help you when you experience friction with your current superior or boss. E.g Manager, Founder, President of the organization.

22. Put yourself in a position where you can't easily be replaced. Only competence and great skill can help you here.

23. Learn to cover your mistakes and quickly correct them. Nobody loves a clumsy worker.

24. Be passionate about your work. If you are not, you will make foolish mistakes along the way.

25. Don't leave your current job because of anticipation of another job that you have not secured fully. Except you have big savings though.

26. Even if you don't like your boss or work, just do your assigned role and work your way out.

27. If a promotion doesn't come easily don't do extra work.

28. Extra work will make your boss use you as a beast of burden. Protect your competence from exploitation.

29. If you are not paid for extra work, feigned laziness. But do your assigned role perfectly.

30. Take corrections and learn. Despite your competence, you can't be perfect.

31. Be patient.

32. Be good-looking. Dress fine. Wear clean shoes. Wear a good necklace. Wear a good wristwatch. Wear good bracelets. They don't need to be expensive at all; hardly anyone will ask you for their costs.

33. Don't beg your colleagues for food and money. There can be a show of love through the giving and receiving of gifts. But make sure you don't beg. Learn to manage your resources.

34. Learn to resume on time.

35. Not everybody can become an entrepreneur. Employees must respect the ethics of their work. And employers must treat employees well because they are the backbone of the organization, and if they connive together, they can bring the organization down in a moment.

Thanks.

93 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Leepeak(m): 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2022
rottable:
I work as an ICT Teacher in schools. 90%of what I know now I learnt it there
Nice one

1 Like

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Slurity(m): 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2022
edungene7:
You want to work for Mr. Peter Obi? this is Labour Party State Chairmen Contacts:

1) Ekiti state - Barr. Okunade Odunayo 08060860282

2) Nasarawa State - Hon Alex Emmanuel Ombugu 08065493386

3) Anambra State - Hon. Emeh Ugochukwu Emmanuel 08037113906

4) Lagos State - Prince (Prof.) Ifagbemi Awamaridi 08055163767

5) Enugu State - Barr Casmir Uchenna Agbo. 08035219191

6) Cross River State - Ambassador Ogar Osim 08107801980

7) Rivers State - Dienye Pepple 08037371619

cool Delta State - Chief Anthony Ezeagwu 08033225995

9) Abia State - Hon. Ceekay Igara 08103388588

10) Yobe State - Ahmed Bukar Kolo 08065041726

11) Kebbi State - Umaru Dan Hajiya 08030467072

12) Kwara State - High Chief kehinde Adekunle Rotimi 08036261922

13) Ogun State - Mr Ashade Michael Oluseyi 08161169961

14) Osun State - Prince Adebayo Bello 07064391636

15) Plateau State - Hon. Grace Zafara 08065375421

16) Benue State - Comrade Ibrahim Idoko Otene 08063643838

17) Jigawa State - Isyaku Aliyu 08164467296

18) Kano State - Mohammed Abdullahi Raji 08023622594

19) Sokoto State - Hon. Abdurrahim Imam Chindo 08069145871

20) Akwa Ibom State - Lincoln Charles 08082471603

21) Adamawa State - Christopher Nicholas 08032611572

22) Oyo State - Atayese Olatunji Sadiq 07088956726

23) Taraba State - Esther J. Gulmu 08025159970

24) Borno State - Ularamu Jibirla 08099100163

25) Imo State - Chief. Onyekwere A. 08037082339

26) Ondo State - Mrs. Remilekun Ojo 08164576406

27) Kaduna State - Mohammed Abdullahi 08181007058

28) Bayelsa State - Eneyi Zidougha 08141555460

29) Kogi State - Ahmed Abdul 07032111557

30) Niger State - Musa A. Mohammed 08163340898

31) Zamfara State - Comrade Yahuza Ahmed 08142866573

31) Bauchi State - Barrister Hussaini Saraki 08064817460

33) Gombe State - Alhaji Sani Abdulsalam 08022729996

34) Edo State - Comrade Kelly Ogbaloi 08023356888

35) Katsina State - Ibrahim Abu Musawa 08036373805

FCT - Diugwu Chukwuemeka Peter 08052552096
It is too late for this. In my state here, it will take your over 4 years to explain that there is a party call Labour party and another 4 years to explain that the candidate of the party is called Obi, and immediately they hear him full name. They run away

7 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Vladm(m): 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2022
I learnt there are three ways to complete a task..
1. The right way
2. The wrong way
3. Oga's way...
Rubbish

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by pongwa(m): 12:35pm On Jul 11, 2022
Threesha:
What was your first job? Most of us don’t forget our debut in the workforce – for good or bad reasons.

Our first job taught us things that may have shaped our career path or what we’re like in our professional lives.

What is an important lesson that your first job taught you? Share your stories and learnings with others

First job: Receptionist
Lesson: always be open to learning. I learned organizational skills,
People management and behavior photography,
Video recording and
Video editing (it was a small media company)
grades don't mean nothing, skills, connection does.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by OldNairalander(m): 12:35pm On Jul 11, 2022
Don't date your boss

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Job Vacancies Nationwide from 2016 / How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job / N-Power: Second Payment Processing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.