Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,112 members, 7,845,697 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please (1018 Views)

Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? / Reasons Why Marrying Someone For A Green Card Is A Bad Idea Fraught With Risk / Keeping In Touch With The Ex After Marriage. Bad Idea? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Ronie24(f): 3:47pm On Jul 28, 2011
smiley sad Opinion please
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Bim4u: 4:25pm On Jul 28, 2011
I need to ask a few questions to be able to answer honestly

Are u married or single

Once you've answered that then i know the dimension to take you question.
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Ronie24(f): 4:46pm On Jul 28, 2011
@Bim4u, single for now bt will be married in couple of months
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by obowunmi(m): 4:49pm On Jul 28, 2011
Depends on your life goals --- do you have a job or are you still a student ?
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Ronie24(f): 6:03pm On Jul 28, 2011
@obowunmi still a student though my spouse is worker
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Bim4u: 7:46pm On Jul 28, 2011
If coming over
is.it on visiting or work permit
will you have finished your sgudies before moving
are u moving with your would be husband

Good and bad

Good reason first
Marry first before you BOTH move down(distance not advisable)
You will need to be very submissive to your husband as in uk
it doesn't work the way naija work
your husband or b/friend can't give all those things you get now
you'ill both probably be earning almost same amount so you have to join funds
and plan together.
If you can both plan your funds then you're fine in u.k
if it mine money n i can't contribute then unhappiness n frustation creeps in.
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Ronie24(f): 8:31am On Jul 29, 2011
Thanks
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Ronie24(f): 8:32am On Jul 29, 2011
@bim4u Pls any idea on how long it takes to get a work permit in the U.k?
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Bim4u: 4:35pm On Jul 29, 2011
Now that's another dimension

you stated relocating

What sort of visa are you coming over with

To answer your question to get a work permit now it's almost impossible as a lot of chnages has occurs.

If you had the work permit from naija that would have been the best sort of visa to relocate with.
I've heard that such visa has been suspended by british embassy at the moment.

Give more info and can give you more info.
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Ronie24(f): 8:20pm On Jul 29, 2011
This is the issue. We are coming over with general visit visa though our plan is for honeymoon after which we intend to relocate to UK ad stay there for a while.
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Bim4u: 9:49pm On Jul 29, 2011
If your husband has a good job in nigeria
i'ill advise not to relocate on visiting visa due to uk recession and not much jobs at
the moment.
When the highly skilled migrant visa is re-opened then you can apply for that
at least you guys won't be illegal immigrants.

If you decide to go for the options both of you are tginking about.
You will need God on ur sides n be prayer warriors for your young marriage not to crumble.

Just come over to visit n go back and enjoy your married life in nigeria jejeli,
Re: Can Settling Down In The Uk Be A Bad Idea? Opinion Please by Ronie24(f): 2:35pm On Jul 30, 2011
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

New To The Uk And Looking To Make Naija Friends . / Virginity Test: My Pants Had Blood Stains – Pupil / Surrogate Offers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.