Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,903 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

“my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? (7618 Views)

Offhand Or Offhead Which Is Correct / “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? / 6 Nigerians Whose Names Are In Guinness World Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by GistONg(m): 12:57pm On Jul 24, 2022
Introducing ourselves is something we do in our everyday life in Gatherings, Meetings, or in Classroom.

Generally, introducing yourself is much more than saying your name. However, the basic step to introduce yourself to strangers or the general public is by stating your name.

The rule in stating your name either orally or in writing is that it should be in the format of your First name, Middle name, and Last name. Your Last name is your surname which is your family name; your Middle name is the name that comes between your first name and last name. In other words, it is your other name. While your First name is the first of the names given to you at birth.

Hence, if your first name is Tochukwu, Middle name: Jemezie, and Last name: Anayo-Enechukwu, you state your name as Tochukwu Jemezie Anayo-Enechukwu. Also, if your first name is Uju, Middle name Mary, and Last name is Agbo, you may introduce yourself by saying: My name is Uju Mary Agbo, or my names are Uju Mary Agbo, but the question is what should be the correct prefix before introducing your name; “My Name is” or “My names are”?

It is my considered view that it is appropriate and grammatically correct to say ‘My name is”. Hence, using “My name is” is the correct way of introducing yourself as opposed to “My names are” for the following reasons:

1. “My name is” is singular while “My names are” is plural. When stating your name, you’re talking about one person which is you. Therefore, you must use a singular verb ‘is’ to introduce yourself as opposed to a plural verb ‘are’.

2. “My names are” is wrong because the verb ‘are’ is conjugated for a plural noun phrase, whereas the noun phrase is singular. Thus, it will be only correct to use ‘my names are’ in the context of saying ‘My names are Tochukwu, Jemezie, Anayo-Enechukwu.’ And as we all know using it in this context means that you have three different names in different context and as such it is totally wrong to introduce yourself (one person) in that manner.

3. No matter how long your first, middle, and last name is, it is still a name and ‘IS’ is the right verb for stating a name. Thus, you don’t say because my name is too long, I will pluralize it by using “my names are” as opposed to “my name is”. Using “My names are” is very wrong in English language.

“My name is” or “My names are” Which is Correct?

Introducing ourselves is something we do in our everyday life in Gatherings, Meetings, or in Classroom.

Generally, introducing yourself is much more than saying your name. However, the basic step to introduce yourself to strangers or the general public is by stating your name.

The rule in stating your name either orally or in writing is that it should be in the format of your First name, Middle name, and Last name. Your Last name is your surname which is your family name; your Middle name is the name that comes between your first name and last name. In other words, it is your other name. While your First name is the first of the names given to you at birth.

Hence, if your first name is Tochukwu, Middle name: Jemezie, and Last name: Anayo-Enechukwu, you state your name as Tochukwu Jemezie Anayo-Enechukwu. Also, if your first name is Uju, Middle name Mary, and Last name is Agbo, you may introduce yourself by saying: My name is Uju Mary Agbo, or my names are Uju Mary Agbo, but the question is what should be the correct prefix before introducing your name; “My Name is” or “My names are”?

It is my considered view that it is appropriate and grammatically correct to say ‘My name is”. Hence, using “My name is” is the correct way of introducing yourself as opposed to “My names are” for the following reasons:

1. “My name is” is singular while “My names are” is plural. When stating your name, you’re talking about one person which is you. Therefore, you must use a singular verb ‘is’ to introduce yourself as opposed to a plural verb ‘are’.

2. “My names are” is wrong because the verb ‘are’ is conjugated for a plural noun phrase, whereas the noun phrase is singular. Thus, it will be only correct to use ‘my names are’ in the context of saying ‘My names are Tochukwu, Jemezie, Anayo-Enechukwu.’ And as we all know using it in this context means that you have three different names in different context and as such it is totally wrong to introduce yourself (one person) in that manner.

3. No matter how long your first, middle, and last name is, it is still a name and ‘IS’ is the right verb for stating a name. Thus, you don’t say because my name is too long, I will pluralize it by using “my names are” as opposed to “my name is”. Using “My names are” is very wrong in English language.

The similarity with the two aforementioned exceptions is its resemblance of plurality and the use of the conjunction ‘and’ which we cannot normally use while introducing ourselves. Thus, these exceptions come in handy in very special circumstance and can never fall under the conventional form of introducing your name. Hence, saying “My names are” is wrong, while saying “My name is” is the correct way of introducing your name.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Iyasaburi: 1:13pm On Jul 24, 2022
I agree!

2 Likes

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by chatinent: 1:15pm On Jul 24, 2022
After the knowledge, nothing come out.

Na corn I dey roast.

6 Likes

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Anaaximander(m): 2:24pm On Jul 24, 2022
grin
chatinent:

Na corn I dey roast.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by NobleStag007: 3:45pm On Jul 24, 2022
All I am going to say is..

Eminem..

My name is.. What?
My name is.. What?
My name is.. Slim shady

Singular verb plus singular subject.

My names are .. You mention your full name

2 Likes

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Lamanii22(f): 3:53pm On Jul 24, 2022
grin grin grin you can write with it atleast
chatinent:

Na corn I dey roast.

1 Like

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Karleb(m): 3:56pm On Jul 24, 2022
The whites never use my names are but a Nigerian that isn't a native English speaker will introduce themselves as my names are.

Very annoying to the hear.

3 Likes

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by chatinent: 3:57pm On Jul 24, 2022
Lamanii22:
grin grin grin you can write with it atleast

Nigeria no bi am, dear.

1 Like

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jul 24, 2022
A phone number in Nigeria consists of 11 digits. Those digits are also numbers. And because there are 11 numbers making a phone number, can you then say that my phone numbers are 06074862214?

My name is Ade.
My full name is Ada Gwen Okeke.
There is no need for plurality.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by coputa(m): 5:22pm On Jul 24, 2022
Name is used in singular form and not plural.a lot of people make this mistake. For example.my name is coputa onoronimighwe and not my names are coputa onoronimighwe.

2 Likes

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by phemmyfour: 5:25pm On Jul 24, 2022
Why do you have to post it twice? Are you trying to pluralized the thread

2 Likes

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Zanzibar1: 5:38pm On Jul 24, 2022
NobleStag007:
All I am going to say is..

Eminem..

My name is.. What?
My name is.. What?
My name is.. Slim shady

Singular verb plus singular subject.

My names are .. You mention your full name

Simplicity is the key... My name is cheesy

2 Likes

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by teeytimi: 6:07pm On Jul 24, 2022
From another view:

The question is 'what is your name' and not what are your name.

Its wrong to answer a question asked in singular with a plural

4 Likes

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by AroOkigbo(m): 6:13pm On Jul 24, 2022
teeytimi:
From another view:

The question is 'what is your name' and not what are your name.

Its wrong to answer a question asked in singular with a plural
Very correct �

1 Like

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 24, 2022
All join

1 Like

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Wonderboy01(m): 8:46pm On Jul 24, 2022
Alaye ,,use both jare

My Name is are "blessing" grin

1 Like

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by LOVEGINO(m): 10:58pm On Jul 24, 2022
muyoge:
A phone number in Nigeria consists of 11 digits. Those digits are also numbers. And because there are 11 numbers making a phone number, can you then say that my phone numbers are 06074862214?

My name is Ade.
My full name is Ada Gwen Okeke.
There is no need for plurality.
then why how are u? Instead of how is u? English with wahala sha

1 Like

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Kingluqman(m): 5:05am On Jul 25, 2022
People get Wahala grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by cjeriia: 8:43am On Jul 25, 2022
Lol...!!!! Neither is correct.
It's actually "My name's".
If you have written IELTS before, you'll know

My name's ATIKU Tinunbu Obi

1 Like

Re: “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? by MainJoe: 9:47am On Jul 25, 2022
What is the name of your company?

Okonkwo and sons Limited.

That lies your answer. Even though multiple words, it comes together to make the company name.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Wike Moves To Ban 5000 Unapproved Secondary Schools In Rivers / Pls How Much Is Al-hikmah University Sch Feez / The Effect Of Student Housing Conditions On Academic Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.