Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,816 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record (45963 Views)

World Athletics Ratifies Tobi Amusan's Hurdles World Record / Tobi Amusan Breaks 100M Hurdles World Record / Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by ogbiwa: 8:06am On Jul 26, 2022
The World Athletic Championships have been shrouded in controversy after the women's 100m hurdles world record was destroyed.

Tobi Amusan of Nigeria shocked the athletics world with her semi-finals time of 12.12 seconds - a whole 0.08sec quicker than American Kendra Harrison’s previous record from 2016. Across all three semis, 12 of the 24 runners set new personal best times.

The flurry of records prompted sprint legend Michael Johnson to question the timing system. Taking to Twitter, he wrote: "I don’t believe 100h times are correct. World record broken by .08! Twelve PBs set. Five national records set. And Cindy Sember quote after her PB/NR: ‘I thought [sic] I was running slow!’ All athletes looked shocked.

"Heat 2 we were first shown winning time of 12.53. Few seconds later it shows 12.43. Rounding down by .01 is normal. .10 is not."

Johnson then later said while working for the BBC: "I don’t believe these times, let’s look at the racing."

Writer Jonathan Gault also cast doubt, tweeting: "Struggling to comprehend what just happened in the women's 100m hurdles semifinals. Did Tobi Amusan really just crush the previous world record of 12.20 in the same race in which five of the eight starters ran lifetime bests? Officially wind-legal. What happened here?"

Amusan could barely believe the time herself, but it stood and she was rewarded with a $100,000 (£83k) bonus. And she then went on to win the final in an even more astonishing 12.06sec.

However, the wind was registered as too strong that time, meaning it didn't go down as a second new world record for the 25-year-old. Nothing could take away from the fact that she'd won Nigeria's first ever World Championship gold, though.

It emerged after the race that Amusan was wearing springy Adidas Avanti TYO spikes which are intended for use by long-distance runners, which she explained was because she suffered with plantar fasciitis earlier this year.

Addressing her massive speed improvement, she added: "Speed-wise, I feel like I needed to work on my speed. I did 100m at the start of the season so that had a huge factor to come to play in the hurdles and I knew once I get the technical part out, I’d be fine."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other-sports/womens-hurdles-world-record-championships-27566613

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by ArchiLimited: 8:06am On Jul 26, 2022
If a British or Jamaican had smashed the record they would praise her for being a legend. But a Nigerian has done it and because they can't wrap their heads around the fact that something legendary can come out of Nigeria, they've brought out their empty pundit English to analyze emptiness. Don't just let Nigerians swear for you guys. This is one thing that has given the nation joy recently in the midst of all we're passing through so let us enjoy our girl in peace plix angry

And if you think I'm playing the race card, think again. Has the world athletics organisation who organised the tournament come out to invalidate her record? So because a couple of British blokes spoke we should take it immediately as the truth because anything the British say becomes authority? Stop sucking up to the westerners! We must stand and have some self worth. They won't be celebrating Amusan today if she was always playing second fiddle to her western opponents.

If you have an upcoming building project or want to modernize an existing one, contact me for top class Architectural designs and construction, and in good faith, we'll first design a sample plan for your project for FREE.
Contact is in my signature below

992 Likes 94 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 26, 2022
Painment grin

255 Likes 7 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by VeryWickedMan: 8:12am On Jul 26, 2022
Painment

175 Likes 9 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Pristine664: 8:12am On Jul 26, 2022
That record still look like fairytale to me I swear. That girl is a legend.

How do you run 100 meters with hurdles (jumping fence grin) in 12 seconds?!

Expect the white racists to subject her to series of drug tests. cheesy

338 Likes 26 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by SpatialKing(m): 8:13am On Jul 26, 2022
Interesting

4 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Authoreety: 8:13am On Jul 26, 2022
What for?

... Ndi ala..

Amusan to the world..
Congrats girlfriend

113 Likes 5 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by inoki247: 8:13am On Jul 26, 2022
lol dem don come undecided undecided undecided

Dem think say na only crime fit come from Nigeria that's why dey are still in shock....

101 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by YosemiteDan: 8:13am On Jul 26, 2022
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by OBTMOS(m): 8:13am On Jul 26, 2022
Racist people

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Raxxye(m): 8:14am On Jul 26, 2022
This is pure "bad belle!".
To them, "why should it be an African, a Nigerian for that matter? Oya, let's get to work to discredit her!".
It's the wind; it's her shoes; the clock/timer spoilt!
Someone should help me tell them they sound ridiculous!
Bastar.d pundits !

141 Likes 8 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Promoter2: 8:14am On Jul 26, 2022
That's normal with the Brits. Once it's not their person, they talk trash. Go and ask Meghan Markle

161 Likes 14 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Mastakija(m): 8:14am On Jul 26, 2022
They should update Google already cheesy
Abi wetin i dey miss for here cheesy

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by KingKO22: 8:14am On Jul 26, 2022
Had it been it was won by US, Jamaica or GBR we won't be discussing about doubt or effect of wind.

Hypocrits

122 Likes 7 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Dididrumz(m): 8:14am On Jul 26, 2022
Hmm
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by BeardedTraveler: 8:14am On Jul 26, 2022
Oh

Check my profile for phone deals
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by NairaFeast(f): 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
Please whats the meaning of the name "Amusan" in English?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by LaSenior: 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
grin

E shock them

Real definition of painment

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by shadelek(m): 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
Racist

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Ololade1999: 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
See painment.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by YelloweWest: 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
Eh eh. They have started. Allow our girl be great pls

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by posty56: 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
may God punish all of them ,the right term should be British "secret racist" question Tobi amasun record, if too say na one of their own ,fair white European worst en come from Britain we for no here word ,them go hype am pass ballon d or ,once again thunder fire all of them

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by olisaEze(m): 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
If she had broken the record while wearing British colors, they’d be claiming her in a hurry like they did Anthony Joshua. But she did it in an African nation’s colors, nothing good is supposed to come out of Africa especially Nigeria as far as these racists are concerned! undecided

95 Likes 4 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by bukarolz: 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
Thunder faya dem pusies.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by dboo442: 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
Nigerian got talent.....I just pray for a better Nigeria, because I'm sick and tired of this country. Enough of failed politicians hype before her destiny start deteriorating Abeg!!

9 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Odunharry(m): 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
Naija to the world..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Razy75g: 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
Jealous punks

14 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by bestman09(m): 8:15am On Jul 26, 2022
cool
Na Dem! Awon oloriburuku racists

27 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Napoli Players Blame Osimhen For Champions League Exit / Kelechi Iheanacho Shows Dance Moves In Dressing Room After FA CUP Win (Photos) / This Lionel Messi Meme Will Have You Reeling With Laughter ( Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.