Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,732 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers (6011 Views)

Checkout Military Women From Eritrea / Students Banned From Wearing Metal-Bra Clasps In China's Entrance Exam / Woman Publicly Flogged By Policemen In Sudan For Wearing Trousers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by 4Play(m): 6:48pm On Aug 02, 2011
A christian midwife is suing hospital bosses for making her wear scrub trousers rather than a dress in the operating theatre, saying it is against her religious beliefs.

Devout Hannah Adewole claims wearing trousers is forbidden in the Bible, citing a command that women should not wear men's clothing.

The 45-year-old says she was banned from wearing scrub dresses in theatre but Muslim midwives are allowed to vary official uniform policy with their own hijabs and tops.

She told a tribunal: "A Muslim midwife would not have been treated in such a disrespectful manner."
Mrs Adewole is suing Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust for religious discrimination and harassment.

As a midwife at City University London, Mrs Adewole was ordered to wear scrub trousers to prevent infection. When she refused, she was moved from the labour ward to post-natal care.

Mrs Adewole, of Hackney, said: "Reading the Bible has always given me strength. I believe that the Bible is truth and that its words should be followed wholeheartedly."

She told the tribunal she considers wearing dresses rather than trousers "a mandatory requirement". Mrs Adewole started work as a £24,000-a-year midwife at Queen's in March 2008.

She alleges that she was assured at interview that her uniform demands would be met. The Trust's policy provided for "uniform suitable for Muslims" but had no equivalent rules for Christians, the tribunal heard.

The Trust, which has now given her two scrub dresses, claims that theatre uniform was never discussed at the interview. The tribunal continues.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23974811-midwife-forced-to-wear-trousers.do
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by JeSoul(f): 7:49pm On Aug 02, 2011
Well . . . this is what happens when you open the door and start down the slippery slope. If muslim women are exempted from the policy, I see no reason why anyone else - claiming the persuation of religion - cannot do the same.

Adopt one policy and make it standard for all and you won't have all these kinds of ridiculous suits. If she wins now, that one na jackpot  grin
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 02, 2011
Next jews will demand to wear the cap to the theatre. Thanks to islam . . .
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by AndreUweh(m): 1:09am On Aug 03, 2011
Every hospital trust in England and Wales has policies which all employersa nd employee abides by it. Before one takes up an appointment, you are given a form written in small alphabets to sign. You have to be careful before you sign because once that is done, you have consented to abide by the trust policy. In this case, this woman 's case a lost one.
In the words, nurses may not wear trousers but in the operating theatres, it is different. For every operating area, it is scrubs top and buttom, cap of different colours and sizes, protective shoes or theatre shoes, a mask may be required of everyone and an eyeshield for some certain procedures.
Take it or leave it before you take up your employment letter.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by seguno2: 1:15am On Aug 03, 2011
i actually thought this was happening in boko haram Nigeria.
now that would have been newsworthy.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by kandiikane(m): 2:26am On Aug 03, 2011
The same bible also said women should cover their heads when they go into the house of God but you don't see anyone complaining. .

Silly woman, should be fired. . .
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 3:09am On Aug 03, 2011
real jackpot if she wins & it's 2 bad. Couldn't hav been forced, i've seen pple giv up jobs 4 religion or or even something less important, when they seem 2 contradict.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Nymphnode(m): 3:18am On Aug 03, 2011
She must be a devout ECWA mama grin
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Agnesqueen(f): 3:28am On Aug 03, 2011
I understand the merit of her argument and yes she should sue. If Muslims are exempt from the rules, then Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhist and any other religion should be exempt as well. Do not create a preferential treatment of a group because you are afraid of backlash. They do that here in the U.S. only Muslims are allowed to do certain things, its got me thinking if Egypt or Iran would allow Christians to do the same in their countries. I hope she wins her lawsuit
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by dayokanu(m): 4:05am On Aug 03, 2011
sharp woman
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by stagger: 4:06am On Aug 03, 2011
There is nowhere in the bible that women are stopped from wearing trousers. Nowhere whatsoever.

Clothing is a matter of the tradition and fashion. In the times of Jesus, were men wearing trousers? NO! The traditional Jewish dressing for males is a gown with a girdle. If she was asked to put on a trouser in an operating room to prevent infection, should she put her so called religious beliefs (which I contest because I have never seen it anywhere in the bible where women were told not to wear trousers) over the life of her patient?
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 6:22am On Aug 03, 2011
Another brainwashed Bigot. The Bible was written by men, Christianity was popularized by the Roman emperor Constantine who infact used it as a political tool to conquer territories. Same way it was used as a colonial tool in Africa - Out of ignorance, people confuse spirituality and Religion

Listen to your brethren:

"The temple of the most high begins with the body which houses our life, the essence of our existence. Africans are in bondage today because they approach spirituality through religion provided by foreign invaders and conquerors. We must stop confusing religion and spirituality. Religion is a set of rules, regulations and rituals created by humans, which was suppose to help people grow spiritually. Due to human imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, divisive and a tool for power struggle. Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is simply a way of life, pure and original as was given by the Most High of Creation. Spirituality is a network linking us to the Most High, the universe, and each other…"
— Haile Selassie I (Emperor of Ethiopia)

These religious extremists are the reason for intolerance in our societies today,  Just like the dove minister in the US who wanted to burn the Qua ran and the foolish muslim terrorists who's killing in the name of God. Our world will be a better place without religions and its man made laws!
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by 702: 8:19am On Aug 03, 2011
dunno y sum pple jus take religion 2 an xtreme
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by PA1982(f): 8:21am On Aug 03, 2011
^^^I agree that trousers are not mentioned in the Bible and this woman sounds like she's never read the Bible for herself, just relied on a pastor and a $harp barrister for advice.
And yes, you have to read the fine print in any contract.
And lastly, what kind of nurse or midwife doesn't understand the point behind strict hygiene?
If there surgical uniforms for Muslims, though, then of course anyone should be allowed to use them.
Including men.
After all, Jesus didn't wear trousers, now did he? wink
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by strangest(m): 8:47am On Aug 03, 2011
If she is really a Christian, she will understand that it is divine to forgive, Just another scammer, looking for way to make easy money,
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by swaggerboi2011: 9:27am On Aug 03, 2011
nice one
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by rose75(f): 10:05am On Aug 03, 2011
I want to believe this woman keeps /obeys everything she reads from the bible.
Which of the bibles condemned trousers on women?. I thought it was - men not putting on women's clothing and vice versa, now, which man in the bible wore trousers?. In that case, if she wears gowns, she's equally committing sin 'cos all the bible representations showed men wearing gowns.

The bible is not interpreted like novels, I don't understand this "clothing" to mean skirt, blouse, trousers and so on. To me it means, women shouldn't take the place of men and vice versa, I may be wrong though, but understanding the bible requires more than mere ordinary knowledge of grammar.

So, the woman should think of better charges to press.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by obiscolly(m): 10:38am On Aug 03, 2011
i dont say anyway how religion is connected to conventional medical practices. if she has any problem with their policies, what stops her from resigning her post or did they forcefully put the trousers on her. its not a do or die affair mscheew!!
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by obiscolly(m): 10:39am On Aug 03, 2011
come to think of it i dont think i remember anywher d bible stated that trousers was men cloth undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Zodiac61(m): 10:42am On Aug 03, 2011
I wish I could say that this is just an opportunist, trying to make money fast.
This is unfortunately part of an intolerant strain of christianity that has been trying to impose its will on the country.
They keep on failing in courts and keep on trying.
These rightwingers will not rest (they think) until they impose the laws of Leviticus on the rest of us.
They pay lip-service to equal opportunities and are quick to see discrimination everywhere.
The reality is that all they want is a theocratic state.
The sad thing is that whilst most of the christian litigants are blacks or asians, the people who generally fund the litigations are white christians, who are no doubt happy for us to make fools of ourselves.
She will fail.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 03, 2011
Hypocrite christians!
When a Nigeria Governor Jonathan Jang proscribed a ban trouser wearing for everybody (Muslim, Christian etc.) all of you FOOL went MUTE DEAF. Anofia!!!

Imagine  it's muslim woman complaining that they make her take dress unislamically, most of you fools will have been having crusade with inflammatory comment (reminds me of the knight templer christian extremist or teh norwegian christian terrorist Brevic)

Onward Christian soldiers (Daviddylan, agnesqueen etc.) what do we do next? let go blame the the muslims (LOL)
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by favouredjb(f): 11:17am On Aug 03, 2011
TO EACH HIS OWN

I LL WEAR MY TROUSERS ANYTIME THO
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by real4life: 11:23am On Aug 03, 2011
davidylan:

Next jews will demand to wear the cap to the theatre. Thanks to islam . . .

If you are ready to compromise your religious beliefs goodluck to you but leave Islam out of this please.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by manjuninho(m): 12:52pm On Aug 03, 2011
i dnt know y sum pple jst read d bible witout knowing d meaning, it is written in d bible dat a mwn should nt put on a female cloth nd vice visa, so let let me ask u a ? in our tym what sex is blive to be d riteful wearer of trouser?
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by baslone: 1:16pm On Aug 03, 2011
rose~75:

I want to believe this woman keeps /obeys everything she reads from the bible.
Which of the bibles condemned trousers on women?. I thought it was - men not putting on women's clothing and vice versa, now, which man in the bible wore trousers?. In that case, if she wears gowns, she's equally committing sin 'cos all the bible representations showed men wearing gowns.

The bible is not interpreted like novels, I don't understand this "clothing" to mean skirt, blouse, trousers and so on. To me it means, women shouldn't take the place of men and vice versa, I may be wrong though, but understanding the bible requires more than mere ordinary knowledge of grammar.

So, the woman should think of better charges to press.

Of course, the bible gets interpreted to suit everyone ones needs! More reason we now go to

church hair not covered, in cleavage revealing gowns and our faces painted like Sistine Chapel!
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by goggs(m): 1:30pm On Aug 03, 2011
She should simply resign her appointment. The terms of employment are clear, I am sure. If every employer should bend to the wimps of its employees then that business is bound to die.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 03, 2011
Simple. Fire her ass, pay her one month severance and send her to Maiduguri to treat ''boko haram'' boys. She will fit better into that society. i'm sure they can find able and capable nurses who are able to integrate in modern societies. She belongs in Borno!
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Sike(m): 2:48pm On Aug 03, 2011
The Bible shouldnt be this misinterpreted since it is written in simple English unlike the Qur'an.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by dayokanu(m): 2:51pm On Aug 03, 2011
If the hopital management can bend the rules for others on the basis of religion, why not for her?
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Tkartworld(m): 4:44pm On Aug 03, 2011
she is a fool.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Cmiller(m): 5:30pm On Aug 03, 2011
sue na,
Re: Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers by Actionleap: 5:39pm On Aug 03, 2011
Nigerian CBN governor, oh sharia governor must hear this and go figure fast!

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Tim Osman, A CIA Agent Before Transforming To Osama Bin Laden / Donald Trump Has Revealed How Nigerian Politicians Killed Their Country’s Econom / Is China Good Or Bad For Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.