Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Can I Travel 2 Weeks Before Visa Expiration? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can I Travel 2 Weeks Before Visa Expiration? (28266 Views)

Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? / How Do I Travel Back To Nigeria With My Baby? / Can I Travel To Trinidad And Tobago Visa Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Travel 2 Weeks Before Visa Expiration? by shaddie(m): 5:47pm On Aug 03, 2011
Nairalanders, my 2 year US Visa will expire by 2nd week of September and I intend to travel to the US 2 weeks before its expiration just to spend 1 week and before moving to the UK where my visa is still valid. What I'm traveling for cannot wait until i renew my Visa. I want to know if it's okay to travel to the US 2 weeks before the visa expiration even though I'm only spending 1 week. This means I'll leave the US for UK 1 week before my visa finally expires.

I'm asking this to avoid any form of embarrassment by the US authorities on getting there. Kindly advise.
Re: Can I Travel 2 Weeks Before Visa Expiration? by obowunmi(m): 5:59pm On Aug 03, 2011
I believe that you can. Be sure to return before the expiration date.
Re: Can I Travel 2 Weeks Before Visa Expiration? by AjanleKoko: 6:07pm On Aug 03, 2011
@OP,
Of course you can. So long as the visa is valid, you can travel into the country. Also, your duration of stay should not extend beyond the expiry date of the visa. I.e. you must state on the landing card that you're leaving the country before the visa expires.

The irony is, most likely the Immigration people will award you a six month permit - even when you intend to spend only one week. Technically that allows you to stay beyond your visa expiry date, but it is better if you just leave. Makes you look legit for future applications.
Re: Can I Travel 2 Weeks Before Visa Expiration? by mikkyangel(m): 10:49pm On Aug 06, 2011
Ajenlakoko,
Re: Can I Travel 2 Weeks Before Visa Expiration? by oyewolejos(m): 12:59am On Aug 07, 2011
mikkyangel:

Ajenlakoko,
The irony is, most likely the Immigration people will award you a six month permit - even when you intend to spend only one week. Technically that allows you to stay beyond your visa expiry date, but it is better if you just leave. Makes you look legit for future applications.

Bros are u serious? my 2 yrs usa visa expires by April nxt year, but i was thinking of travelling by October,so the immigration officers may give me 6months which coincides with April 2012( my visa expiration date), So u are saying if i decide to fly by December,i will be giving 6months by immigra peeps?

Visa Expiration Date is just the last date u can use the Visa to travel into the US. If your Visa expires on Dec 31 u can still travel on Dec 31 provided u will arrive in the US on the 31. The length of your stay is not on the Visa it is on the I-94. People do have expired Visa but their I-94 is still valid. A US Visa is just for u to travel to a US Point of Entry and apply for entry. The expiration date of the I-94 is the main thing.
The Immigartion Officer at the point of entry will make a decision on how long u will stay depending on your circumstances but they normally give 90 days or 6 months except for people coming for Conference or Training that has a specific end date.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Travel 2 Weeks Before Visa Expiration? by mikkyangel(m): 7:40pm On Aug 08, 2011
Oyewolejos,

(1) (Reply)

Lagos To Test-Run Blue Line Rail December 2020 / BREAKING: Accident At Aseese Ibadan Express Way (PHOTOS) / What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.