Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? (28294 Views)

Traffic Gridlock: Ambode Orders Relocation Of Bus Terminals / Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies / Master-planned Cities: Is Abuja Really A Well-planned City To Your Mind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by awolumate(m): 11:08am On Mar 19, 2007
Whats Abuja Like For A Living? Is Relocation To Nigeria Advisable? Abuja?

I am tired of Obodo Oyinbo. Believe it or not, there is no place like home. I am having a thought of going back home. Thinking of living in Abuja because of security and access to government people (you know sup).

What do you think I should have or prepared for to relocate back to Nigeria and Abuja to be specific? Obodo Oyinbo na just ladder to step up aside that my brother insults too much o. Better to live where you'll get your respect and be able to at least be part of your own society development.

Thanks as you advice. Ciao.

N.B. what's the best business to go into if living in Abuja?
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by agnesoseka: 12:51pm On Mar 20, 2007
Dnt knw abt business, but its a beautiful, stressfree but xpensive place to live in, Trust me u'll simply love the city.Beauriful n all, no traffic, good roads etc,

1 Like

Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by awolumate(m): 2:50pm On Mar 21, 2007
Thanks Agnes. Your input is appreciated. smiley
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by NANDOM(m): 1:09pm On Mar 22, 2007
I stay in Abuja, truly speaking when you talk of security, Abuja provides you with the best in Nigeria inluding other social amenities that will make your life comfortable.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by awolumate(m): 8:39pm On Mar 23, 2007
@NANDOM.
Thanks bro.your input put me on the right lane, are you in anyway from plateau state? I was a corper in langtang north and know quiet a lot of places in Plateau, ur name rings a bell and reminds me of my students at fggc, u know plateau names they always sound alike.
I will keep in touch Nandom.
Thanks,

By the way, what would it cost to buy a house from one of the govt estates?
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by NANDOM(m): 2:05pm On Mar 26, 2007
my brother, thanx alot for the response.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by awolumate(m): 11:03am On Mar 27, 2007
@NANDOM.
I sabi mangu oooo, grin.i even know senator inbrahim mantu house, of course we must pass through mangu when going to pankshin or langtang from jos, i miss those old days.
Thanks for the informations. i am relocating to abuja but will visit naija often to put things in place stage by stage.
once again thanks.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by NANDOM(m): 12:16pm On Mar 28, 2007
That's great my bro, of course that's where i come from.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by londoner: 12:06pm On Apr 03, 2007
@ Nandom, so how is it to live in Abuja, I will visit in a few months hopefully. My Mum visited a few months ago, she is really fond of it (but prefers Calabar), I've heard there are great opportunities there. How is the infrustructure in Abuja, are there many developments planned for the city? I heard the city is not yet complete, fill me in please, I just can't wait to visit.

Do you have pictures of residential areas?, The ones on the net seem a bit repetitive.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by mrpataki(m): 4:18pm On Apr 03, 2007
Abuja is a beautiful place. Fell in love with the plaace right from the very first time, that I have refused to migrate back to the South!
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Shuashi(f): 11:37am On Apr 06, 2007
Abuja is a very good place 2 live in if u'v got d cash.u'v got light,water,security nd good roads bt my broda if u want 2 buy a house in maitama,asokoro u beta b boxd up cos these houses cost millions o.but gudluck u'l njoy ur stay in abj
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Shuashi(f): 11:40am On Apr 06, 2007
Abuja is a very good place 2 live in if u'v got d cash.u'v got light,water,security nd good roads bt my broda if u want 2 buy a house in maitama,asokoro u beta b boxd up cos these houses cost millions o.but gudluck u'l njoy ur stay in abj
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by aidevou: 10:04pm On Apr 07, 2007
a good decision but i will rather advice to stay in plays like Suncity,Life Camp and Jabi,ther are lots of estate u can by from, if you cant afford those mentioned above.i promise u a nice time in these areas with good security,power,water and a bit cheaper.above all pls have a plan(as in business or where to work)
Welcome and God Bless u
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by iice(f): 1:50pm On Apr 08, 2007
Nice place to live, just expect to shell out lotsa money.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by babasin(m): 3:32pm On Apr 08, 2007
@aidevou,

what are the cost of houses in Life Camp? are they close to Berger Camp?
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by iice(f): 3:34pm On Apr 08, 2007
@babasin, life camp is the whole area, Berger camp is in life camp. Sorry don't know the cost of houses there.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by NANDOM(m): 3:25pm On Apr 10, 2007
sorry my brother, i have been a little bit away that's why probably you did not hear from me
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by abujabooks(f): 9:58am On Jun 17, 2008
Abuja is beautiful. I agree.

If you are relocating, and food is expensive in Abuja. Why don't you go to neighbouring places like Suleja market, buy your foodstuffs for 3 months and save money that way.

Alternatively, go to wholesalers in the UK or US or wherever you reside. Buy a VAN, stock it up with foodstuffs that, will expire in 1 year's time and bring them back to Abuja. Sell the VAN. You had free shipping for your foodstuffs. ABI KE.

Also, you don't have to buy in Asokoro, Maitama, where properties cost hundreds of millions. Go to places like Lugbe (5 minutes from the airport), Suncity, Jabi, and other places outside the city centre. Land and properties are cheap there. The roads are excellent and there is no traffic whatsoever. So, you can get to where you are going in no time.

There is no place like home.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by samm(m): 1:30pm On Jun 17, 2008
@Abujabooks
Can give us an insight as to the cost of houses in these places you mentioned? Also, how do those places compare to Gwarinpa? Thanks for your input.

abujabooks:

Also, you don't have to buy in Asokoro, Maitama, where properties cost hundreds of millions. Go to places like Lugbe (5 minutes from the airport), Suncity, Jabi, and other places outside the city centre. Land and properties are cheap there. The roads are excellent and there is no traffic whatsoever. So, you can get to where you are going in no time.

There is no place like home.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by ekas(f): 8:36pm On Jun 17, 2008
if you want to stay in Gwarinpa,it better be Gwarinpa estate for security reasons.
personally,i'll advice you to rent a year apartment in Maitama or Asokoro,from where you can get acquainted with people and know whats going on in Abuja before you purchase your own house.

1 Like

Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by samm(m): 1:39am On Jun 18, 2008
@ekas
Thanks. Can you (anyone) give me an idea how much apartments are in Maitama or Asokoro?
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by ekas(f): 5:06pm On Jun 18, 2008
self contained apartment-from 350,000per year,if you are lucky you can get one for 250,000-300,000.
one bedroom flat-from 450,000 if you are lucky,you can get one for 350,000
i prefer maitama to asokoro based on availability of drop(cab)
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by abujabooks(f): 1:40pm On Jul 17, 2008
@Samm

Sorry for getting back to you so late.

You have to speak to an agent about prices. Property prices change.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by KB1(m): 11:42pm On Jul 17, 2008
Calabar is better looking and more affordable. It also has a fast up and coming tourist industry in which will provide you with plenty of opportunities for a good job and or to start your own lucrative business at an affordable price. Cross Rivers State, where Calabar is located, is quickly becoming the Florida of Nigeria. Humm, I even hear that plans are on the way to begin having cruise lines operate out of there as soon as the Nigerian Navy and the state of Cross River themselves can assure sufficient maritime security for them while in Nigerian waters.

One major selling point of the cruise operations will primarily target African-Americans and other diaspora blacks in the Americas to sale the sea paths in which many of their ancestors may have journeyed in the bellies of slave ships from Eastern Nigeria to the Americas. Calabar was a major slaving port during that time, and is the only Nigerian port town to have preserved the relics of that day.

1 Like

Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by MortgageW: 5:03pm On Nov 27, 2008
Hi Guys,

I'm also relocating to Abuja in early 2009 with my family from South Africa.

Can you recommend any decent and reputable real estate agents?

What I need to know is the breakdown example of costs, the deposit etc. Lets use an example :-

1) How much is the deposit would I need for a property that is NGN 2million?
2) Is the rent payable monthly?

We need a 3 bedroom house with a nice sized garden for 2 children WITH a swimming pool in one of the following areas:-

1) Maitama District
2) Asokoro
3) Wuse II and perhaps
4) Gwarinpa Estate

Any assistance much appreciated as I can't seems to find much on the net.

1 Share

Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Ifygurl: 7:52am On Nov 29, 2008
Go stay in victoria Island in Abuja. I heard it's just as beautiful as Abuja; Also as Safe as Abuja but a lot cheaper.
Evne Calabar, i heard Calabar is beautiful also.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by experts: 3:54pm On Dec 02, 2008
hi guys,

relocating to abuja will be one of the best decission oe can ever make in his life.

abuja is a very nice place to stay, many business oppurtunity and fun.

about cost of living although abuja might be expensive to live, but you will definately get cope if u have a business u do that earn u money.

the costly the town is, the more money u generate.

about getting apartment, actually i am an agent, and there many more agents aroud u can contact. they will get u nice place depending on u and at a reasonable amount.

but if u want to deal with me, u can contact me on 08076976917

discuswithmayor@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by smurf1(f): 12:26am On Dec 10, 2008
Heard nothing but nice thing about Abuja too, so I'll say thats most defiantly one place in Nigeria I'd like to live, cool
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Angolobabe(f): 9:25pm On Dec 10, 2008
Abuja is a great place to live,i stay there whenever i visit nigeria and im planning on buying a holiday house there soon cos its secure,clean with less traffic but its very expensive there,its nothing compare to other cities in nigeria houses there cost multi millions but anyway good luck with ur relocation plan
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by Timkut68: 3:01pm On Feb 06, 2009
This message is to the South African Mortgage W. 

Have you continued with your plans to move to Abuja?  We are considering the same move and it would be great to get in touch with you, if you're still in SA.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by yusufu16: 3:42pm On Feb 10, 2009
Abuja is the best place to stay in the world. Because its a free for all place you can virtually do anything you like as long as you dont cross boundary. LUXURIOUS HOTELS, NICE CLUBS, NICE JOINTS, NICE PARKS AND RECREATION CENTERS ETC NAME IT we have them in Abuja. Seeing is believing.
Re: What Is Abuja Like? Is Relocation Advisable? by TayoD1(m): 3:50pm On Feb 10, 2009
@topic,

Abuja is a really nice place which I will definitely relocate to if I were planning to go back to Nigeria.  I lived in Abuja for almost 4 years before moving to the US.  To say I miss the place is an understatement.  I stayed briefly with my aunt in Asokoro, and moved out to live in hotels for almost two years.  My aunt was always scared and apprehensive because I travelled a lot.  I just had to move out to give her some peace of mind.  

I spent my last 18 months in my own house in Lugbe and even though it was safe, you usually hear the sound of gun shots now and agin at nights.  I think the place was becoming relatively unsafe at the tail end of my stay.

While Abuja can be an expensive place to live in, you can also make money like no man's business there.  I wasn't into business in Abuja and so cannot advise.  However, I was a professional doing a lot of construction work. I think civil and structural engineers will have a field day in Abuja.

But I do have some concerns though.  I bought a piece of land in Apo and I am yet to get my C of O.  I understand my property is among the ones shared by some lawmakers and that they will be giving me another land to replace the one I bought.  It is this kind of issues that really puts you off about the country.  I had all my papers and bought the thing legitimately but you have people in power disregarding all protocols. Hopefully, I'll have all that sorted out later this year.  It's dragged on for too long already.

I wish you good luck with your decision.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jeep Knocks Down Kid Going For Children's Day Party In Bayelsa, Fractures Bone / I Want To Migrate To Switzerland / Floods In Jeremi, Where Utorogu Gas Plant Is Located

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.