Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Ostrich Farming In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ostrich Farming In Nigeria (9428 Views)

Price Of A Young Calf? And More Info About Cattle Farming In Nigeria please / Fish Farming In Abuja / The Income Potential In Layer Chicken Farming in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ostrich Farming In Nigeria by RoughCut(m): 11:38am On Aug 16, 2007
Does anyone know about ostrich farming as in Nigeria?. I understand there are only about 7 of such farms in the whole of Nigeria and similarly in Ghana. I have got some figures from a research i`m conducting at the moment as below and if it turns out they are reasonable i dont think its an oppotunity to be sniffed at. I would appreciate your contributions. Refer to the paragraphs below

Each fertile egg is sold for between $400-$500 in Europe and America. Then if the egg is hatched, (which is between 42 to 45 days) the young bird is sold for about $1, 000. If the bird is about one year old it sells for between $2, 500-$3, 000, but if the investor wants to sell an old bird that has started laying eggs especially female bird, it can go for as much as $9, 000-$12, 000. The project actually is for middle class entrepreneurs. With a little over a million naira an investor can go into this venture. Apart from the meat, which is very low in cholesterol, it is rich in protein. It is also excellent for hypertensive patients and for those watching weight. The feathers are bought for decoration, while the skin is highly priced for ostentatious leather works.

Apart from the above needs, Ostrich is an animal of unique feature and this makes it highly tradable for tourist uses. Various zoos across the world demand Ostrich for tourist needs.
Re: Ostrich Farming In Nigeria by RoughCut(m): 4:55pm On Aug 17, 2007
Thethy:

Yes,Ostrich farming is a viable project.Am all working on it.

Yeah i have been to your website and i must say i`m impressed. Are you working on a kind of feasibility study or report? if that`s the case how do i get access to the outcome of the research. I`m seriously looking into agro-based business an alternative investment vehicle so i would like to get in touch with you. You have the consultancy skills i think i will find very useful so i will be getting in touch soon
Re: Ostrich Farming In Nigeria by ajayi1(m): 5:29pm On Aug 17, 2007
I know about exporting for years, So i will want you to introduce me to it. ok? you can mail me
Re: Ostrich Farming In Nigeria by HunkO: 1:28pm On Feb 01, 2010
This is for ostrich farmers in Nigeria. I can supply you with UK produced top quality 20kg Ostrich Breeder Pellets and Grower Pellets.
Re: Ostrich Farming In Nigeria by johnsho: 2:41pm On Mar 05, 2010
i think i am interested in this business i have 2 million to invest can you please give me what it would cost to buy a one male and one female
so i could know what i could plan on . And please tell me about selling the egg . Please tell me about this business.
you could mail me on bimbo4real_bimbo@yahoo.com
Re: Ostrich Farming In Nigeria by sundiataa(m): 4:58pm On Mar 05, 2010
lam interested in ostrich farm ,any information will be highly appreciated,l can be contacted via hepzi_bah2000@yahoo.com
Re: Ostrich Farming In Nigeria by hammerh(f): 5:31pm On Mar 26, 2011
Hey pls am intrested in starting an Ostrich farm
pls send me an email to hoi_fax@yahoo.com
Re: Ostrich Farming In Nigeria by sonety2k(m): 11:31am On Mar 27, 2011
Please am intrested in starting an Ostrich farming , kindly send me email to - sonety2k@yahoo.com
Re: Ostrich Farming In Nigeria by zogo(m): 1:33pm On Mar 27, 2011
you can also try Heliculture (Snail Farming). its as simple as ABC, even a secondary student can do Heliculture. All you need to get started with Heliculture is compiled here: www.infohub247..com

I will see you @ the top!
Re: Ostrich Farming In Nigeria by Tolite22(m): 11:10am On Aug 16, 2013
I noticed this thread's a bit dated but the ostrich farming business appears to still be making a buzz. I read some article about a Malian farmer (Mamadou Coulibaly) who made about $1.4 million from his ostrich farm in 2011. I was just blown away cos I never knew these birds could rake in that much.

Most of the people who rear ostriches are in South Africa and the Middle East and the bird appears to be a rugged animal because it can virtually survive on any kind of food in every environment. On top of the fact that it's got red meat that is very low in fat and cholesterol, its leather is used to produce some of the best designer leather products on the market.

I never knew ostriches had this kind of potential. I really wonder why many people aren't into it yet!

PS: The full article I read can be found at: http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/agribusiness-and-food/ostrich-farming-in-africa . It was quite detailed and very eye opening.

I hope this inspires someone.

Cheers.

(1) (Reply)

An Acre of Farm With Structure,Can Be Use For Cow, Pig, Rearing For Sale At #6M / The HUSTLER - Share A Pic Of HOW YOU MAKE MONEY / I Am Relocating To Ibadan What Biz Can I Do 200k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.