Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,972 members, 7,810,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) (2326 Views)

How Do I ,a Noob,get Strted In Android Dev ? / Whatsapp Group For Kotlin Users/developers / Kotlin For Android Developers By Antonio Leiva" Ebook(pdf). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 6:49pm On Aug 15, 2022
And so it begins...

I hope to document my journey to becoming a native android developer here on this thread. Wish me luck, bosses smiley

Introduction:
- Computer Engineering graduate (Even though my memory about things that happened while i was in schoolis quite fuzzy, i just know i 'eventually' graduated - hope im not the only one feeling like this?? grin grin

- Long time graphic designer. my weapon tool of choice is the great Photoshop. i can do and undo with that software ehn, (if i do say so myself grin grin grin) i think i have a thread of my graphic design works somwhere here on nairaland

- in school, we were thought Pascal, C++, and assembly language programming (mostly theoretically though ) grin grin grin grin - like i said, i passed... sheybi if i didnt pass, i wouldnt graduate nah?? so dont look at me like that

- C (for Arduino) - I learnt this on the side while i was in school. it was a blast of fun. It was cool to see real life results of instructions given to a computer. Turning LEDs on and off, sounding buzzers, implemnting libraries for some niche sensors, diplaying info to console, led screens and 7-segment displays... alll the fun stuff

- Recently, i started studying and learning Java. i actually wanted to be a backend developer. i got courses and all... but why im switching,is story for another day grin

Now, we are here for KOTLIN and the beloved ANDROID STUDIO

2 Likes

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 6:50pm On Aug 15, 2022
cool

1 Like

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 7:18pm On Aug 15, 2022
What I thought would be hard - Writing code

What is actually hard - getting the IDE and all dependencies to work initially embarassed embarassed

Tip - Leave your computer connected to the internet, some packages will still need to install and sync ,even when you already downloaded the main software cry

somebody cant even manage data

4 Likes

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by jesmond3945: 7:27pm On Aug 15, 2022
tmanis:
What I thought would be hard - Writing code

What is actually hard - getting the IDE and all dependencies to work initially embarassed embarassed

Tip - Leave your computer connected to the internet, some packages will still need to install and sync ,even when you already downloaded the main software cry

somebody cant even manage data
dependency wahala na time waster. I prefer forking and learning the logic.
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by TastyFriedPussy: 8:30pm On Aug 15, 2022
jesmond3945:
dependency wahala na time waster. I prefer forking and learning the logic.
exactly. Especially when you fork the logic in reverse cow bro style, the decency will dramatically release
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by namikaze: 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
exactly. Respects when you fork the logic in reverse cow bro style, the decency will dramatically release
grin grin werey

4 Likes

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Telegon: 1:50pm On Aug 16, 2022
tmanis:
And so it begins...

I hope to document my journey to becoming a native android developer here on this thread. Wish me luck, bosses smiley

Introduction:
- Computer Engineering graduate (Even though my memory about things that happened while i was in schoolis quite fuzzy, i just know i 'eventually' graduated - hope im not the only one feeling like this?? grin grin

- Long time graphic designer. my weapon tool of choice is the great Photoshop. i can do and undo with that software ehn, (if i do say so myself grin grin grin) i think i have a thread of my graphic design works somwhere here on nairaland

- in school, we were thought Pascal, C++, and assembly language programming (mostly theoretically though ) grin grin grin grin - like i said, i passed... sheybi if i didnt pass, i wouldnt graduate nah?? so dont look at me like that

- C (for Arduino) - I learnt this on the side while i was in school. it was a blast of fun. It was cool to see real life results of instructions given to a computer. Turning LEDs on and off, sounding buzzers, implemnting libraries for some niche sensors, diplaying info to console, led screens and 7-segment displays... alll the fun stuff

- Recently, i started studying and learning Java. i actually wanted to be a backend developer. i got courses and all... but why im switching,is story for another day grin

Now, we are here for KOTLIN and the beloved ANDROID STUDIO

Why did you leave java?
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by justiniyke29: 5:21pm On Aug 16, 2022
Telegon:

Why did you leave java?
Because he wants to become an android developer i guess. kotlin is the way to go, though we used java before the switch was made

1 Like

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 7:05pm On Aug 16, 2022
Nice Op I dey follow your thread

1 Like

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 16, 2022
qtguru:
How is your progress with mobile?

I've been meaning to pick up native but laziness is a bad thing

1 Like

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 8:00pm On Aug 16, 2022
DrLevi:

How is your progress with mobile?

I've been meaning to pick up native but laziness is a bad thing

Slow learning, was mostly setting up toolkit and ide
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Telegon: 11:01pm On Aug 16, 2022
justiniyke29:

Because he wants to become an android developer i guess. kotlin is the way to go, though we used java before the switch was made
But you can still do all kotlin can do with java on android development.

Why I'm concerned about his switch is because there's lots of employment opportunities with java than kotlin, even if he decides to ditch android development in the future.
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by justiniyke29: 2:12am On Aug 17, 2022
Telegon:

Why I'm concerned about his switch is because there's lots of employment opportunities with java than kotlin, even if he decides to ditch android development in the future.
that's true, if I was to be in his shoe I would learn java. switching from java to kotlin will be easy
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by BlaqFaze: 7:37am On Aug 17, 2022
Telegon:

Google doesn't want anybody using java for Android development, java is second class citizen in Android.

There's no reason anybody should learn java over kotlin for android development, same way you shouldn't learn objective-c for iOS development but swift.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Runningwater(m): 8:16am On Aug 17, 2022
BlaqFaze:
Google doesn't want anybody using java for Android development, java is second class citizen in Android.

There's no reason anybody should learn java over kotlin for android development, same way you shouldn't learn objective-c for iOS development but swift.

I'm curious do you plan on working for Google or it's branches? shocked Cause employers of labour would mostly prefer java except you got convincing words to tell employers why to choose kotlin.

If I were you, I would go for java first then kotlin second.
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 8:45am On Aug 17, 2022
BlaqFaze:

Personally I want to start with Java too.
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by BlaqFaze: 9:31am On Aug 17, 2022
Runningwater:

I'm curious do you plan on working for Google or it's branches? shocked Cause employers of labour would mostly prefer java except you got convincing words to tell employers why to choose kotlin.

If I were you, I would go for java first then kotlin second.
This is public knowledge bro... Google has a beef with Oracle (owners of java) and the only reason java is being supported is because the Android SDK is built with java.

Google is even building another OS called fuchsia...they want it to replace Android.
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by BlaqFaze: 9:31am On Aug 17, 2022
qtguru:

Personally I want to start with Java too.
ok boss
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Runningwater(m): 9:55am On Aug 17, 2022
BlaqFaze:
This is public knowledge bro... Google has a beef with Oracle (owners of java) and the only reason java is being supported is because the Android SDK is built with java.

Google is even building another OS called fuchsia...they want it to replace Android.

I'm aware about all those stuffs. My worries is after learning something it, someone starts searching more for spaces that requires it but are less compare to java openings that are more according to statistics.

It's just "like" django and flask framework but not direct comparison.

My opinion though Las Las everyone still going to make their own choice in life
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 10:27am On Aug 17, 2022
Telegon:

Why did you leave java?

Okay boss

First, as mentioned here, I is the official support of Google. Java (as related to Android) is being phased out.. And I see myself ending up in on of the FAANG companies in 8-10 years, I want to be on the train getting up to speed especially Google and Netflix , not the one coming to a stop..

I actually started learning Java too. I'm self thought. I was finding it difficult to (think of ideas) and build a portfolio for myself as a backend person, portfolio projects that you don't need eclipse ide to run. I might also need a frontend person to help, if I want to do some fleshed out projects

Also, most job openings I keep seeing on LinkedIn and Twitter are always looking for Senior Java engineers... Rarely do you (I) see entry-level openings.

Full stack guys too seem more economical for small-medium companies. Why hire two people for frontend and backend, when you can get both in one

And those also have the advantage of using a framework of Javascript they are already familiar with to also handle backend...

To be frank, the reason I initially wanted to be a backend Java guy is quite lame lol, but it was because I wanted to go against the trend of majority of the people learning Javascript and becoming frontend developers... Till I got in...

I also feel like kotlin android development will leverage my experience with graphics design, and my love for consumer electronics.

I can still handle Java, if the need arises, but the simplicity of kotlin, coupled with the fact that it's the one Google is currently pushing seals the deal for me...

I just believe that one can be dynamic in this tech thing sha, and I want to explore things that catch my fancy, before I get locked in a space I don't really enjoy..

So that's it

3 Likes

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Telegon: 12:03pm On Aug 17, 2022
tmanis:

Okay boss

First, as mentioned here, I is the official support of Google. Java (as related to Android) is being phased out.. And I see myself ending up in on of the FAANG companies in 8-10 years, I want to be on the train getting up to speed especially Google and Netflix , not the one coming to a stop..

I actually started learning Java too. I'm self thought. I was finding it difficult to (think of ideas) and build a portfolio for myself as a backend person, portfolio projects that you don't need eclipse ide to run. I might also need a frontend person to help, if I want to do some fleshed out projects

Also, most job openings I keep seeing on LinkedIn and Twitter are always looking for Senior Java engineers... Rarely do you (I) see entry-level openings.

Full stack guys too seem more economical for small-medium companies. Why hire two people for frontend and backend, when you can get both in one

And those also have the advantage of using a framework of Javascript they are already familiar with to also handle backend...

To be frank, the reason I initially wanted to be a backend Java guy is quite lame lol, but it was because I wanted to go against the trend of majority of the people learning Javascript and becoming frontend developers... Till I got in...

I also feel like kotlin android development will leverage my experience with graphics design, and my love for consumer electronics.

I can still handle Java, if the need arises, but the simplicity of kotlin, coupled with the fact that it's the one Google is currently pushing seals the deal for me...

I just believe that one can be dynamic in this tech thing sha, and I want to explore things that catch my fancy, before I get locked in a space I don't really enjoy..

So that's it
Alright bro, so far you're well informed about your decision, you're good to go
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by jesmond3945: 12:35pm On Aug 17, 2022
tmanis:

Okay boss

So that's it
Java has 800k for entry level while kotlin has 14k for entry level. Java will give you more opportunities than kotlin.

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by BlaqFaze: 5:10pm On Aug 17, 2022
jesmond3945:

Java has 800k for entry level while kotlin has 14k for entry level. Java will give you more opportunities than kotlin.
This stat is bogus... I'm seeing flutter dev in Java's search and kotlin is replacing java in Android. Java for backend(spring boot) is still on top....for now.

2 Likes

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by jesmond3945: 8:46pm On Aug 17, 2022
BlaqFaze:
This stat is bogus... I'm seeing flutter dev in Java's search and kotlin is replacing java in Android. Java for backend(spring boot) is still on top....for now.
if I narrow it down by putting apostrophes java has 150k while kotlin 10k
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 3:51pm On Aug 20, 2022
Update

So, i was having serious issues making progress. I couldnt get gradle build to complete successfully. also, i couldnt get my AVD (Android Virtual Device) to run on the emulator.

How I Solved -
I upgraded my laptop ram from 4GB to 8GB. Android studio freezes every single time i tried to launch the emulator, but now, it works well

As for the gradle build, i figured the tutorials i follow online dont explicitly state that the ide has to have constant internet connection, because some packages will download at build time. Before this, i tried to work offline, asper say managing data, and the tutorials just asumed your internet wiould be on

now, I can get back to work wink

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 5:08pm On Aug 20, 2022
qtguru:
Thanks boss... You are highly welcome
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 5:24pm On Aug 20, 2022
tmanis:
Update

So, i was having serious issues making progress. I couldnt get gradle build to complete successfully. also, i couldnt get my AVD (Android Virtual Device) to run on the emulator.

How I Solved -
I upgraded my laptop ram from 4GB to 8GB. Android studio freezes every single time i tried to launch the emulator, but now, it works well

As for the gradle build, i figured the tutorials i follow online dont explicitly state that the ide has to have constant internet connection, because some packages will download at build time. Before this, i tried to work offline, asper say managing data, and the tutorials just asumed your internet wiould be on

now, I can get back to work wink

Is your Emulator x86 and do you have HAXM enabled it speed things up ?
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 10:32am On Aug 26, 2022
qtguru:

Is your Emulator x86 and do you have HAXM enabled it speed things up ?

Yes boss, its X86, and HAXM is enabled
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 10:48am On Aug 26, 2022
So far, i've been busy working

I can say im confident working on the xml file that determines layouts of elements on the screen. Ive learnt to work with and use TextViews, EditTexts, Buttons, constraints, cards, change theme colors, and switch between pages with intent. As at now, it seems Jetpack Compose is gradually becoming mainstream, so i'll be looking to learn that too.

Ive been having issues with power, though. Seems like I might need to start visiting hubs or workspaces. Also, my machine is not that fast. Even though i upgraded ram to 8GB, the core i3 processor is still a bottleneck. My first pay from my first job or contract will definitely go towards getting another laptop (even if its not my dream Dell XPS 17 2021/2022 core i7 embarassed embarassed

Btw, along the line, I crafted my resume, updated my linkedin profile and tried to see what skills are needed in the android developer employment career

Next items on the list to work on as i go forward:
-Learn Jetpack Compose
- Learn Retrofit
- Learn how to work with Firebase

While
- Learning Git, and building my github profile
And
- Building more projects

(Maybe i would still create a wordpress site to display works sha)

2 Likes

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 10:54am On Aug 26, 2022

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 10:58am On Aug 26, 2022
The last UI layout i created.. will work on further refinements as time goes on

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 11:26am On Aug 26, 2022
tmanis:

Yes boss, its X86, and HAXM is enabled

See to get the best performance just use a test phone so you can spare your computer ram.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Ict Courses Or Areas Are Relevant In Nigeria. Somebody Said Java Me. Never / Aren't There Any C++ Devs On This Section Or Programmers That Do Complex Stuff? / The Difference Between Java And Javascript

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.