Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,701 members, 7,827,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Does Nollywood Have A Future ? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Does Nollywood Have A Future ? (2302 Views)

How Does Nollywood Movie Producers Sell Master Copy Of Movie? / Why Does Nollywood Movies Have Trashy Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by mekaboy(m): 12:34pm On Aug 05, 2011

I WONDER IF NOLLYWOOD HAS A FUTURE- WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GENEVIEVE, MERCY JOHNSON- INI EDO AND THE REST OF THEM SOP ACTING? WHEN THEY GROW OLD.

HOW MANY UPCOMING TALENTS HAVE THESE OUR STARS DISCOVERED TO REPLACE THEM? OR DO THEY INTEND TO ACT FOREVER?

I THINK THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT ANY STAR ON NOLLYWOOD WILL BE TO REPRODUCE HIM OR HERSELF , DISCOVER NEW TALENTS AND HELP THEM COME UP.

I NEVER HEARD OF A NOLLYWOOD TALENT HUNTS, MAYBE I HAVE NOT BEEN PAYING ATTENTION.

Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by iyatrustee(f): 1:10pm On Aug 05, 2011
thats some stupid question. sorry to say where was genevieve, ini edo etc some 7-10years back? was it not people like Liz Benson, Sandra Achums and co then? its the same way some new people would make it to limelight while the likes of genevieve would fade away.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by mekaboy(m): 1:31pm On Aug 05, 2011

HOW MANY NEW STARS HAVE EMERGED AFTER THE LAST SET?
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by juxybonz(m): 2:18pm On Aug 05, 2011
There are so many up coming talent, buh they lack opportunities for tthe tym being, and thats because marketers are incharge of selecting the actors they want in a movie they wanna sponsor,no marketer wants to risk their money on new talents they rather use the popular ones, hope u understand
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by mekaboy(m): 10:33pm On Aug 05, 2011

YES I UNDERSTAND, BUT THATS THE POINT, HOW LONG WILL THEY CONTINUE TO USE THE STARS? WHY NOT MIX THEM UP? NOW THE STARS ARE BECOMING PRODUCERS THEMSELVES, LIKE UCHE-JUMBO, SHE NOW HAS HER PRODUCTION STUDIO I BELIEVE, SHE COULD RUN A TALENT HUNT TO DISCOVER THE TALENTS AND PROMOTE THEM.

THATS THE PROBLEM WITH MOST SECTORS IN NIGERIA, WE DONT THINK OR PLAN FOR THE FUTURE, IF THEY CONTINUE TO DEPRIVE THE NEW TALENTS THE OPPORTUNITY WHEN BECAUSE OF HOW MUCH THEY WANT TO MAKE PRESENTLY, I WONDER WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS FOR THE INDUSTRY.

Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by amblors(m): 1:02am On Aug 06, 2011
To my knowledge the current crop of actors were not discovered via a talent hunt.
so the same cycle would continue.

you ask if the current ones intend to act forever? NO.
Roles change as they age, from school girl to mommy to granny etc.

people would replace them, they might be better.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by SeanT21(f): 4:23am On Aug 06, 2011
Yes, new talents will rule the industry.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by odumchi: 4:27am On Aug 06, 2011
@ OP

Those people you listed were not the founding father/mothers of Nollywood so it will always exist after them. The likes of Okanayo Okanayo, Liz Benson, Rita Dominic, Nkem Owoh, Patience Ozorkwor and (i forgot his name, but he is that man who played the main character in "Living in Bondage"wink are truly the founding fathers of Nollywood. They no longer act, but Nollywood is still alive and well.

But I must say, I miss the original Nollywood movies. The Ones that actually have a moral within them. Most of the ones now are about sex, relationship drama and etc.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by YoruIgbo(m): 5:29am On Aug 06, 2011
There is nothing in Nigeria that has sustainability so soon and very soon Nollywood will go like the others did. The only thing with stron future in Nigeria is Corruption because we have more than enough corrupt youth waiting in the wing to step into the shoes of the old corrupt generation tongue tongue
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by lagcity(m): 5:32am On Aug 06, 2011
nollywood can't die. too many ppl have a stake in that industry. the producers will respond to customer needs when the producers sense that Genevieve and Co. are not pulling crowds anymore. but i agree that we definitely need some new, young, beautiful and talented actresses to further boost the industry. i mean a lot of men will buy dvds just to look at the sexy actresses without giving a crap about the movie plot.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by udbyron1(m): 6:26am On Aug 06, 2011
for now they seem to have no future but one thing is certain 'take no thought of the future' cuz it will take care of itself when the time comes.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by kinguy(m): 7:35am On Aug 06, 2011
if dem call 4 talent hunt fear go let u apply? afta all thin is d country itself has no future
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by Sike(m): 7:42am On Aug 06, 2011
Com'on! There is always someone somewhere to take another person's work. That is the law of the game.
A I RIN JINA LA O RI ABUKE OKERE. . .Talent yapa joh!
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by femmy2010(m): 9:08am On Aug 06, 2011
anybody is replaceable.
Just a matter of time.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by Tyche(m): 9:27am On Aug 06, 2011
At the right time new stars will replace them the way they replaced others. life goes on.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by dabrake(m): 9:36am On Aug 06, 2011
I agree wyt femmy2010.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by MMM2(m): 10:18am On Aug 06, 2011
do 9ja act film ? angry
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by ksam(m): 11:40am On Aug 06, 2011
go to hollywood and see how new teenage stars are taking the wave.why here in nigeria we have teenage goodlooking guy like me wasting. all for the sake of people like jim iyke and co who don't want to give way for us.go to hollywood and see how new teenage stars are taking the wave.why here in nigeria we have teenage goodlooking guy like me wasting. all for the sake of people like jim iyke and co who don't want to give way for us.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by Breeze5000: 12:38pm On Aug 06, 2011
Yoru_Igbo:

There is nothing in Nigeria that has sustainability so soon and very soon Nollywood will go like the others did. The only thing with stron future in Nigeria is Corruption because we have more than enough corrupt youth waiting in the wing to step into the shoes of the old corrupt generation tongue tongue

You are so WRONG!!! When there is a demand for a product, there will always be a supply. If you think NIGERIANS are the main fans of Nollywood then you definitely have no clue about the movie Industry. People outside the shores of Nigeria are huge fans so even if every Nigerian stop buying or watching, Nollywood would still survive cause new markets are coming up every day if far away places like New York, Jamaica, Brazil, Walk through the streets of New York and you would see Vendors hawking Nollywood movies same thing happens in London, Amsterdam, Italy and so many other places, I wasn't told but saw these with my own eyes and even bought original copies from them.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by WackyJ1(m): 1:32pm On Aug 06, 2011
Why must we have to wait for these old stars to leave before we bring in new ones, Every film now has these same stars over and over again. The recycling is too much. Because of it we have Van Vicker acting as a prince in 4 different films and Olu Jacobs acting as the king in the same films and even more. In hollywood we see films in which we cannot identify the actors (like we can with angelina Jolie matt damon, Jackie Chan e.t.c) but they still end up doing a good Job and a couple of great films more they are well known. Why is it that we must wait for Omotola, Genevieve and others to go before we see fresh young talent,
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by Beston12: 1:50pm On Aug 06, 2011
Just passing by
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by mekaboy(m): 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2011
[b]

That is exactly what i am saying, why do we have to wait for the old ones to get worn out before we let in new one ?

I remember GEJ promised some money for the entertainment industry, i dont know if he has released the money, but i think investing in a nation wide talent hunt will be a good use of the funds.

These days nollywood would find and American movie and act the same thing with a different name. Does it mean we dont have stories again in Nigeria?

Do you know that every family in Nigeria has a story which will make a movie of its own. When we begin to encourage young artists, we will also discover young writers who will come up with Nigerian stories that will blow your mind.

The story of my life will make a an interesting movie, so will yours, We need our own stories, things that happen in our society .

The sooner producers stop concentrating on how much they will make today, and focus on the future of the industry. Nollywood will remain limited to a few stars, writers, with less interesting and fake un-Nigerian stories.

I just noticed that when i type nollywood, it underlines with red as an error, and suggest hollywood or bollywood, that's what i am say, when we discover more talents, we will have wider coverage and recognition , nollywood will no longer be underlined as an error when you type it. grin grin
[/b]
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by daniellle(f): 3:00pm On Aug 06, 2011
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by lepasharon(f): 4:22pm On Aug 06, 2011
Nollwood back in the 90s was way betta dan the nonsense dey are doing now angry angry they made more sense!
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by Nayah(f): 5:44pm On Aug 06, 2011
I think they should give chance to others actors because there are the same since then and some have to improve their acting to be more credible, but in the meantime I think Nigeria has a great movie Industyr potential if they insist on perfectionnism
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by WackyJ1(m): 5:45pm On Aug 06, 2011
mekaboy:

I remember GEJ promised some money for the entertainment industry, i dont know if he has  released the money, but i think investing in a nation wide talent hunt will be a good use of the funds.
I think they just shared the money among themselves and ate it.
mekaboy:

These days nollywood would  find and American movie and act the same thing with  a different name. Does it mean  we dont have stories again in Nigeria?

Or they'll just make a movie and give it An Already existing American movie's name.
mekaboy:

I  just noticed that when i type nollywood, it underlines  with  red as an error, and suggest hollywood or  bollywood, that's what i am say, when we discover more talents, we will have wider coverage and  recognition ,  nollywood will  no longer be  underlined as an error  when you type it. grin grin

Lol
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by 2CatWoman: 7:16pm On Aug 06, 2011
So long as the FG stay away from nollywood then it should survive.
Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by mekaboy(m): 10:55pm On Aug 06, 2011

Producers are not producing much, actors and actresses are now becoming producers, soon everyone will be producing and nobody to act. cry

Re: Does Nollywood Have A Future ? by maxproxl: 9:18pm On Aug 07, 2011
dear poster. please note that this write-up is based on english movies only; with due respect to other languages.

"life is in phases and men are in sizes". more better actors are yet to come. its no cause for dialogue as nollywood can never die. its a mega industry not dependent on the actors/actresses but on funding & publicity. as long as there are producers & executive producers, the industry will flourish. the process of making a star is just about consistency & expertise. this is how the fan base of an actor/actress grows.

the producers/executive producers are all business men. nobody wants to loose money thats why they always use stars that have a huge fan base. its one part of entertainment that has a very high constant demand.

remember the era of LIZ BENSON, JOKE SILVA, EUCHARIA, SANDRA ACHUMS, REGINA ASKIA, CLARION CHUKWURA, RMD, SEGUN ARINZE, PAT ATTA,  CHIDI MOKEME, BOB MANUEL, EGO BOYO, and even RAMSEY NOAH. some of them are still active but not as relevant as before.

they gave way for the era of GENEVEIVE, OMOTOLA, KATE HENSHAW, RITA DOMINIC, BIMBO AKINTOLA, JIM IYKE, EMEKA IKE etc who dominated the scene consistently. at a point, most were banned for charging high fees. this lead to the emergence of a new crop of youngsters

the INI EDO, STEPHANIE OKEREKE, DAKORE, NONSO DIOBI, EMEKA EZERONYE, MERCY JOHNSON etc. shortly after came the likes of TONTO DIKE DIKE, UCHE JOMBO, EBUBE and co

this is based on my own opinion & l stand to be corrected. however nollywood practioners must focus more on quality rather than quantity which it is known for,

In conclusion we should applaud the efforts of producers/actors that have created movies of box-office(cinema) standard
kunle afolayan(irapada & figurine), stephanie okereke(through the glass), ije(Chineze Anyaene), omoni oboli(anchor baby) and recently saheed balogun(eti keta) & lilian bach(eletan)

(1) (Reply)

Best Free Movie Download Sites / Movie Review: Straight Outta Compton (film) / Who Wins Between Hulk Vs. The Thing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.