Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,069 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) (5189 Views)

ALX Africa Software Engineering Journey - From Zero To Hero! / My First Month At The ALX Software Engineering Programme / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by Newusername(m): 1:46pm On Aug 22, 2022
Miraj22:
Currently doing their VA training, I don't know if I should just further my knowledge in front end web design I did small training on it or I should do this alx software engineering they're very good in what they do

Apply for ALX and earmark time for your front end web design. Time management and proper planning is all you need.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by Pod443300: 8:15pm On Aug 22, 2022
longjosh:

Can I message you on WhatsApp? Kindly drop your number if I can
Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by Flocky: 11:42pm On Aug 23, 2022
longjosh:
Do you advise I start learning python now or what do you think I can do to make the learning path smoother for me.
If you have any resources that may help, please kindly share

Hello. Apologies for the delayed response. I have been really busy trying to be ahead.

I advise you start with C programming. But before then you may want to learn about shell navigation, Git and GitHub.

For C programming, I recommend any of these two books; The C programming Language by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie or Sams Teach Yourself C in 24hours by Tony Zhang. But if you prefer Videos instead, you can look up for a course on C by Progamiz.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by Flocky: 11:44pm On Aug 23, 2022
Pod443300:

I am also a part of this program started same date as you

Good to hear this. How are you coping with the projects so far?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by Flocky: 11:50pm On Aug 23, 2022
kaylardz:

I'm also in the same cohort with you. I've done my shell navigation, emacs and vi tasks, but I'm currently stuck on flowchart and pseudocode. Truth be told, ALX is 95% self learning, and the concepts are not easy to comprehend by novice with no prior knowledge of computer language.

True, the concepts are not easy to understand most especially when you are new to programming. That is why I do not only stay on the materials given to us by ALX. I try to do some google search or read up books too sometimes even before going through theirs.

How are you coping with your projects now?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by Flocky: 11:56pm On Aug 23, 2022
Miraj22:
Currently doing their VA training, I don't know if I should just further my knowledge in front end web design I did small training on it or I should do this alx software engineering they're very good in what they do

Just as Newusername suggests, your little experience in frontend web development will really help you in your software engineering journey. I advise you try the software engineering programme too.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by Flocky: 12:16am On Aug 24, 2022
As at today, I have completed the video on bash scripting by amigoscode. I must say I have really learnt alot in such a short period. I also learnt from amigoscode to always try not to dive into learning to code but try to focus more on understanding the concepts first before coding.

Back to ALX, there isn't much projects yet and there won't be much projects until next week. We were given assignment on GRIT. There is so much emphasis on GRIT and your ability to persevere as it gets tougher and the reason for this is obvious. Looking at the calendar and activities we have for the next 3 months, I saw there would be projects dropping back to back and it only gets harder as it goes. Well, my mind is ready for this.

I came across a 10hours video on Freecodecamp; The C Programming Language with Dr. Chuck. According to freecodecamp, in the course, Dr. Charles Severance will help you learn C programming by taking you through the classic 1978 C programming book written by Ritchie and Kernighan. Dr. Charles Severance (aka Dr. Chuck) is a professor at the University of Michigan and a very popular software instructor.

I started the video today and hope to learn as much as I can for the next 5days before we start getting projects again on ALX.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by Pod443300: 5:35am On Aug 24, 2022
Flocky:

Good to hear this. How are you coping with the projects so far?
It’s going well i have completed all the projects I’m looking into C programming

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by longjosh: 6:19pm On Aug 24, 2022
Flocky:

Hello. Apologies for the delayed response. I have been really busy trying to be ahead.

I advise you start with C programming. But before then you may want to learn about shell navigation, Git and GitHub.

For C programming, I recommend any of these two books; The C programming Language by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie or Sams Teach Yourself C in 24hours by Tony Zhang. But if you prefer Videos instead, you can look up for a course on C by Progamiz.

Thank you very much sir. I'll made use of your recommendation.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by Miraj22(f): 10:09am On Aug 25, 2022
Newusername:

Apply for ALX and earmark time for your front end web design. Time management and proper planning is all you need.

Time management honestly, you're right. Thank you
Re: My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) by Miraj22(f): 10:11am On Aug 25, 2022
Flocky:

Just as Newusername suggests, your little experience in frontend web development will really help you in your software engineering journey. I advise you try the software engineering programme too.

Okay thanks much, I will try, it's one of the reigning skills now

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pascal Program For Matrix Multiplication / How To Code Your Own Personal Assistant In Python / Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.