Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,114 members, 7,953,419 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:52 PM

You And Locust Beans - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / You And Locust Beans (4047 Views)

Do You Hate Or Love Locust Beans? / Vegetable soup with locust beans (efo Riro with Iru) / How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You And Locust Beans by Nobody: 1:26am On Aug 06, 2011
Hi, i want to know how different ppl react to this locust beans. D reason why I ask is because here in my school, so many ppl seems to hate it or is it just ego? It has even caused numerous fight among students here, just say something about it.
Re: You And Locust Beans by lepasharon(f): 7:00pm On Aug 06, 2011
My goodness! dat stuff is disgusting!
Re: You And Locust Beans by VENUSS(f): 8:02pm On Aug 06, 2011
Dat stuff is delicious. I somtimes over eat wen i add it to my meal. dont mind some babes na effzy.
Re: You And Locust Beans by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 09, 2011
Hmmm, more comments.
Re: You And Locust Beans by Greenpro: 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2011
Good stuff for rice
Re: You And Locust Beans by Nebulae: 12:33pm On Aug 13, 2011
I like it too. Especially in vegetable soups and akara. For other food, I just plain old curious to try new ways to accompany 'iru' with.
For people who disregard the smell or slime. . . Well, that's the old way of cooking without adding buillion cubes. It retains a natural flavour.
Re: You And Locust Beans by Nobody: 7:31pm On Aug 15, 2011
It just baffles me wen some ppl fight because of it
Re: You And Locust Beans by azeezpop(m): 2:52pm On Aug 17, 2011
There is nothing wrong with locust beans,infact people in America & Europe eats it, I have a client that export it to USA,  It's rich in vitamine A,"bright eye",it's just that some Nigerians want to be unnecessarily Civilised

1 Like

Re: You And Locust Beans by Misbee(f): 4:53pm On Aug 18, 2011
Locust beans is very good.i love it inside efo,ewedu n ila.haaa, i feel getin it nw
Re: You And Locust Beans by eggo: 1:25pm On Aug 23, 2011
all dey pple forming i dey wonder o, iru was wot our grandmothers used to season their foods and we cant deny dat their food was tasty, ofcos by den there was no maggi, just native seasonings which different tribes av wot dey use and dey were healthly too, no special illness of any sort,
Re: You And Locust Beans by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 24, 2011
Abeg all those girls are just forming
Re: You And Locust Beans by tpia5: 9:59pm On Oct 13, 2011
lepasharon:

My goodness! dat stuff is disgusting!

undecided
Re: You And Locust Beans by hajibadeseun: 7:58am On Oct 14, 2011
Locust beans is palatble and highly medicinal in nature.Eating it is a matter of choice.
Re: You And Locust Beans by bolorunfem(f): 4:52pm On Oct 20, 2011
Nebulae:

I like it too. Especially in vegetable soups and akara. For other food, I just plain old curious to try new ways to accompany 'iru' with.
For people who disregard the smell or slime. . . Well, that's the old way of cooking without adding buillion cubes. It retains a natural flavour.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked AKARA ke? shocked shocked shocked shocked Are you sure you know what 'akara' means? YOU WILL NEVER SEE ANYONE FRY AKARA WITH IRU (LOCUST BEAN)
, Then, you may find the smell offensive (though to me it's nice) but I reiterate that Iru is not slimey, No No!!!
Re: You And Locust Beans by tpia5: 10:48pm On Oct 21, 2011
Its an acquired taste.
Re: You And Locust Beans by tiebe: 4:49pm On May 16, 2012
tpia@:
Its an acquired taste.

thank you jare. if its not something i'm used to, why will i just instantly like it simply because people around me like it?
Re: You And Locust Beans by armyofone(m): 9:28pm On May 16, 2012
i love it and miss it so much.
ogiri in okro soup, ogbono soup with magala, tinko and bonga with nice yellow yam poundo kiss.
thanks mom wink

dawadawa with miya yakua/kerikeshi da tuwo kiss

love dawa dawa in pete kiss or in Acha/goosegoose.

love mi the Tiv opeye (spell?) made from (locust beans) in a nice Tiv melon soup with dried green Pawpaw.
taste of bliss grin
Re: You And Locust Beans by PrettyCindy(f): 6:43am On May 17, 2012
Meals prepared with Locust beans added to it always have a significantly different and richer taste. My love for it actually increased when i was doing a programme in Ilorin and lived there for a year. The indigenes of that town sure knows how to eat locust beans and its actually very cheap too. Soups like Bitterleaf, Egusi, Efo riro, Vegetable, Ogbonor with Okro (very sweet), Ofe Ujuju, Ofe Ikaka (dried okro soup) and Palm oil jollof rice and many more all have a much better and richer taste when prepared with locust beans. Mind you there are about two types of locust beans. The one for Vegetable and Bitter leaf soup is different from the one used to prepare other types of meals. Whenever you want to buy, tell the seller to give you the type used for the food you want to prepare.
Re: You And Locust Beans by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 20, 2012
@Pretty Cindy-good piece on Iru you got here.

For nursing/lactating mothers, Iru is good! Reduces chances of convulsion in your babies. My baby had series of convulsive fits as a baby, but when my grandma asked that I include it in my diet, the fits disappeared. Apparently its medicinal.

@OP, for girls who quarrel about it, tell them to look up Parkia biglobosa on the internet.
Re: You And Locust Beans by tiebe: 9:50am On May 21, 2012
meanwhile, there was a seasoning cube called dadawa cubes ones. . . isnt it locust beans seasoning? I dnt think one finds it around anymore. wonder what happened to it. . .
Re: You And Locust Beans by PrettyCindy(f): 8:42pm On May 21, 2012
I never heard of it o! The type i know is the one women sell in ball or patties shape and black in colour but when you grind, the colour changes to light brown.
After googling, i discovered that it is used all over West Africa.
Re: You And Locust Beans by Havilah93(m): 9:32pm On May 21, 2012
lepasharon: My goodness! dat stuff is disgusting!
eeeeee. Yeye! Ma je iru k'ara d o gba yagi yagi sio.

(1) (Reply)

FOR Your Thicker And Longer Penis And Larger Asse Hippies And Boobies / Top 5 Abuja Fast Food Restaurants To Know / If You Have Any Of These Old Plates, They Could Be Worth N21,600,000!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.