Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? (9916 Views)

... Was Sacked For Not Dancing To 'shake Body'... Now An Employer Of Labour / What Are My Chances In The Labour Market. / How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Jasiel(f): 10:02pm On Aug 12, 2011
What exactly do you do? In what industry do u work? I was beginning to feel offended but now I see u make a lot of sense. Obviously, u came out wiv a first class (u sound that way anyway).I'm just tired. I feel woefully stressed out- semester after semester I try but the results are not what I expect. I have one more year to go (and one more chance-i mite add) to give one last shot. Till then, I'm focusing on taxation for my ican exams in sept.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by AjanleKoko: 12:46am On Aug 13, 2011
Jasiel:

What exactly do you do? In what industry do u work? I was beginning to feel offended but now I see u make a lot of sense. Obviously, u came out wiv a first class (u sound that way anyway).I'm just tired. I feel woefully stressed out- semester after semester I try but the results are not what I expect. I have one more year to go (and one more chance-i mite add) to give one last shot. Till then, I'm focusing on taxation for my ican exams in sept.

Surprise surprise.
I graduated with a 2.2. for your information. And I faced those very same issues.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Jasiel(f): 12:53am On Aug 13, 2011
I'm not exactly surprised. I just respect your practicality. What did u study then?
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by AjanleKoko: 12:56am On Aug 13, 2011
Jasiel:

I'm not exactly surprised. I just respect your practicality. What did u study then?

I studied electrical engineering, and I work in wireless communications.
You can read a bit about my journey here.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Jasiel(f): 12:59am On Aug 13, 2011
Alrite then, I'm going to sleep. It appears u are a nocturnal being.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 13, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Surprise surprise.
I graduated with a 2.2. for your information. And I faced those very same issues.

ditto
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by mrjingles(m): 11:36am On Aug 15, 2011
bros i left with a 2.2 also but i had to add a professional qualification. Good gradesget you thru the door as a fresher but good performance keeps you there.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by ogoebube(f): 12:36am On Oct 11, 2011
This is 9ja we are talking about where the educational system is worsening everyday. Vices like malpractices and bribing of lecturers are the order of the day. Some lecturers even demand the bribes and give d stipulated amount of money to be paid as bribe. To some of the lecturers, no bribe no 1st class or 2.1. Now too much emphasis have been placed on these (ist class and 2.2) such that students spend huge amount of money as bribe so they can get good grades. This doesn't make anyone with lower grades less brilliant or playful. I have seen some students with all the 'jackins' and d 'awokos' still they still get low cgpas
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by tunene: 4:18pm On Oct 12, 2011
Anywhere in the world as far as it is entry level job, CGPA matters. Take your study seriously. Somebody said before that CGPA is not a test of brilliance but seriousness, whatever it is a measure of, just get it. Let us stop shying away from thinks we can achieve and try to use other methods to justify them. We always quote Nigeria and make it look like Nigeria is different completely from every other country in the world. For goodness sake the method Shell, Mobil, BP, Citibank, Etisalat, Chevron uses to employ in Nigeria is the same they use elsewhere.

The caveat to this is the rising issues of sorting (don't ever think, this is still another Nigerian problem, it happens several places outside Nigeria) and local community content where Shell has to recruit 40% (say) even if the people have lower grades. Even when Shell (or Chevron) wants to recruit from the local communities they still go for the best among them.

The other person who mention front door and back door is also correct. If you do not have access to back door better know what you require. For entry level, your CGPA matters. At higher levels, it is almost insignificant, other issues prevail like experience, certifications, team work ability, emotional intelligence, behaviours (Belbin or Myer-Briggs would give you an idea), companies you have worked for etc.

Cheers.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by tunene: 4:33pm On Oct 12, 2011
ogoebube:

This is 9ja we are talking about where the educational system is worsening everyday. Vices like malpractices and bribing of lecturers are the order of the day. Some lecturers even demand the bribes and give d stipulated amount of money to be paid as bribe. To some of the lecturers, no bribe no 1st class or 2.1. Now too much emphasis have been placed on these (1st class and 2.2) such that students spend huge amount of money as bribe so they can get good grades. This doesn't make anyone with lower grades less brilliant or playful. I have seen some students with all the 'jackins' and d 'awokos' still they still get low cgpas

Without prejudice to anyone, bribes would not get you a first class in any school. If you like pay 1 million per course. Check out your school or any other school and see the people who made first class. You can say at work they do not do well (may be due to lack of motivation or poor communication). You can even say they are not the best ranked in the office (may be poor team players, or lack of emotional intelligence) or even that they do not rise fast in your organisations (may be they are focus or perfectionism which is not needed) but definitely not that they sort or paid bribe to get a first class. Nope I disagree.

On the issue of jacking and not passing, as far as you jack without assimilating or understanding or for some lecturers craming, then how would you pass. Sometimes people jack the wrong materials, when all they need is a group discussion. Some people go around jacking instead of meeting their colleagues who knows better and can explain better sometimes even more than the lecturers, they stick to their book only out of ignorance (or may be pride). may have made 2-1 when people who they believe on a better day should be better end up making 2-2.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Polchiz(m): 12:27am On Jul 14, 2013
When someone fails exam, he will lie that his grand mother is a witch. Why are we afraid of saying a simple truth? The only way to actually prove your intelligence in school is through your CGPA.
When I listened to experts talk on this, they actually argued that what matters anywhere in the world is 'result'. From the very beginning, every student knew what it takes to make first class or 2.1. Those who are result-oriented moved heaven and earth to achieve this. Why do you want them to employ lazy people who are always ready to blame anything for their failure. Companies want people who are go-getters, resilient, result- oriented and serious. First class and 2.1 graduates have proven that they got all these attributes.
While I was in school, my colleagues with low grades always mocked 2.1 students. They claimed that all they know is how to cram. In our final year, different profs gave our group research topics. They appointed me as the group leader and left the research work entirely for 2.1 students. In some cases, I singlehandedly carried out the research work. The worst of it all is that they always hide behind me each time we meet the profs because they were afraid of answering tough questions.
Now, how on earth can you compare these guys to 2.1 graduates who have sacrificed everything to achieve their goals.
I will not even employ my son in my establishment if he makes a 3rd class.
If you can't pass your exams with good grades, don't even bother to tell anybody that you are intelligent because you have nothing to prove it.
Do you think that the wheel barrow pushers in the market are not naturally intelligent? How come they are not working in banks and multinationals. If you tell me that you are rich while you are suffering from kwashiokor, how do you expect me to believe you?
Any scientists that discovers the cure for HIV/AIDS now stands the chance of winning a noble price. Why? Because he produced ' excellent result'.
Are you good at Economics? If yes, prove it in your final year exams by scoring A or B in every course.
At this stage, that is the only way to examine you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Dssc Shortlisting / What Is Your Dream Job? / Oando Plc, Not Worker-friendly Company – NUPENG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.