Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,813 members, 7,817,359 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

True Cost Of Living In Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / True Cost Of Living In Canada (10430 Views)

Nigerian Woman Laments The Increasing Cost Of Living In Canada / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

True Cost Of Living In Canada by CountVersailles(f): 2:34pm On Sep 16, 2022
Some recent threads coming up here have just been plain, unadultrated lies about cost of living in Canada or some other advanced countries. But I'm choosing Canada because it's the one I know best about that it's just outright lies. Many of them will post and will start claiming that you can't save $200 per month or that bills will kill you and you won't be able to save more than $100 after all bills. Nothing is farther from the truth. Don't let all these dreamkillers and wretched Nigerians who are looking for company in their naija hellholes lie to you about the realities in Canada. Things are much better than they claim.

Typical cost of living in Canada if you have your head screwed on right and are not one of those crazies looking for social media approval or tryin g to show that you have finally arrived after living in extreme poverty in Nigeria.

Accommodation --- $1500 (this is the average you pay for a good, clean place to stay). Obviously not in downtown areas of any city, but why would you want to stay downtown anyways? Who are you seeking to impress? You were not staying in Victoria Island or Ikoyi before you left Nigeria. Instead you were staying in Egbeda, Iyana Ipaja or some other Lagos shithole, but suddenly you are in Canada and you must stay in central Toronto. Hunger wey you reach you dey do press-up. Except you are living in Alberta or Manitoba where $1500 will get you something super high-end, in places like Toronto this gets you something relatively comfortable and YOU WILL BE FINE.

Internet - $85 (this is high-end, super-fast, rarely disappointing internet). Not mtn that only works in the night, or spectranet that doesn't work that well in the Egbeda you were staying back in Lagos.

Hydro - $50 (except you are cooking every single day, you shouldn't pay more than this) And why should you be cooking everyday anyways? Don't you have something better to do with your time?

Car insurance - $200 (most people will pay only $200 for car insurance). But if you are working minimum wage, you are already pushing it. If you don't have absolute need for a car, there's no reason you should be buying one. Not everybody drives. Parking is expensive. You don't automatically translate your life from nigeria to canada and think because you were driving in Nigeria you should be driving in Canada. But let's even say you are stubborn and want to buy a car. Okay, I have included it. Bus pass of $50 per month should do you. There are incentives to buy bus passes for cheap if you are a low-income earner. Low-income earner go still earn 18m naira net per annum o! Wait until I get to the earnings. But let's sha add you car, since you are stubborn anyway.

Parking - $85 per month. Extreme case. Most times it's less.

Groceries - $300. You shouldn't spend more than this in a month. Except you are one of those stupid Nigerians who think they must be going to African store every time and buying Naija indomie when significantly cheaper walmart indomie of various flavours yapa anyhow.

We are already at $2220. If this is your monthly spending, you have a problem already. But let's sha say this is what it is.

Now, how much do you earn? Let's say you are doing one of the lowliest possible jobs working in walmart and telling people 'thank you for coming to walmart" everyday, and helping them checkout and putting on a forceful smile. Let's just assume. And you combine that with car wash cash jobs no weekends. There's no reason you should not be making at least $3000 net in a month. This is the least. Possible to make more.

So, now we have arrived at someone doing one of the poorest jobs and living one of the most comfortable lives, and he's still looking at saving at least $700 every month. So, where are those $200 or $100 ideas coming from? Or those who are claiming you will even be in debt? It's just preposterous to suggest that you can't save.

Now, at $3000 monthly, you are earning $36000 net in a year, which is just ridiculous if you are a professional. If you look well enough, educate yourself well and market yourself too, you will get a professional job (even if na customer service or something else), and you will earn net above $40,000. There are plenty Nigerians, and I mean plenty, who are earning net above $40000. Now, think about how much more you can save since this comes down to $3300 monthly. You will be saving at least $1000 every month!

Obviously, these calculations are for a single person. If you are married just multiply it by two as long as the woman is not the lazy type who just wants to sit at home and not work.

Additionally, there's no reason you should be incuring too many costs if you are earning little. Some of the things you are chasing in Canada you did not have in Nigeria. But suddenly you have arrived and things must change? Cut yourself some slack.

In conclusion, don't let anyone lie to you. You can save a lot of money working in Canada. This is truer if you are a working professional. Most working professionals earn north of $80000 gross. Think about how much more they can save even with those expenses above. And that's just for one person. If it's double income with a couple, you are looking at $160,000 gross. Honestly, by the end of the month, you guys will think you won a jackpot. Little wonder you see Nigerian couples here buying 4, 5 houses on mortgage and paying without hassles. Do your research cheesy

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by VictorDivine: 2:47pm On Sep 16, 2022
Good one!
Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by Raph82(m): 3:02pm On Sep 16, 2022
All I just see is that most of these people abroad will look for every means to discourage other Nigerians from trying things out. I can't just wrap my head around such lies from the pit of hell. U see people jetting out to these countries and within 2 years, they are already having mighty projects going on here, if they're not making any savings over there, is it ghost that is building several house projects at home on their behalf? I could remember my colleague that we served together in those years, his younger brother left for Canada shortly before we went for service, four months later he sent his brother a brand new high-end laptop. As I'm talking the guy has several houses in different locations here, will that one tell me that Canada is not worth it? If Canada isn't worth it, why don't they return home?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by Limassol(m): 3:03pm On Sep 16, 2022
Well said. For anyone who is in the know, these things are common knowledge. Canada is a land of posperity and opportunity (though, it ain't perfect!) and whoever discourage you from moving there (sorry, but you must be naive and pretty uninformed to be that gullible) probably does not have your interest at heart.

5 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by MMempire(m): 4:24pm On Sep 16, 2022
No word about the cold out there in Canada. Anybody that wants to japa should japa with sense.

4 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by ednut1(m): 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2022
MMempire:
No word about the cold out there in Canada. Anybody that wants to japa should japa with sense.
with the appropriate dressing you would be sweating self under winter jacket and layers. So what are you on about

17 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by ednut1(m): 4:47pm On Sep 16, 2022
Let me not use myself. My friend in similar company i worked was getting about 4,400 cad dols net. He was saving 2k monthly. His net salary in Nigeria was about 400k naira. Note he was working for same company in Nigeria and continued at same company when he got to Canada.

Another was making 3500 a month and was saving 1200 to 1500.

Another is making about 6k net and saving about 2,500
All in Toronto area.

The problem is many Nigerians especially females they want to love above their means. I know someone still doing hustle job ( customer care) while she doing some tech courses. Salary 2200 a month, but is staying in an apartment costing 1700. Well na fine babe so maybe clitocurrency will augment her other bills. Some want to drive benz , some want to eat on uber eats or restaurant daily. One bed room condos in a luxury condo in Toronto is about 2200 now, but there are other apartments you can get for 1500

15 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by ENG0701: 4:59pm On Sep 16, 2022
Your analogy is for Toronto, most of the things you listed are even cheaper outside Toronto and Vancouver.

11 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by Davidganna10: 8:07pm On Sep 16, 2022
ENG0701:
Your analogy is for Toronto, most of the things you listed are even cheaper outside Toronto and Vancouver.
But the opportunities are lesser in those province.

2 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by Davidganna10: 8:14pm On Sep 16, 2022
With minimum wage job in Canada your savings will dwarf 75% working people savings in Nigeria, not withstanding the incentives associated with acquiring the Canadian passport.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by lanresz(m): 8:24pm On Sep 16, 2022
Not necessary. It depends a lot on your profession.
Davidganna10:
But the opportunities are lesser in those province.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by Davidganna10: 8:27pm On Sep 16, 2022
lanresz:
Not necessary. It depends a lot on your profession.
yeah tech and all, and formally oil companies in Alberta, what about those not in this profession.

1 Like

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by lanresz(m): 8:33pm On Sep 16, 2022
Davidganna10:
yeah tech and all, and formally oil companies in Alberta, what about those not in this profession.
That's why I said it depends a lot on your profession. The most important thing is settling where you can do very well in your profession.

1 Like

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 16, 2022
Brb
Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by MadarasBlade(m): 12:21pm On Sep 17, 2022
ednut1:
Let me not use myself. My friend in similar company i worked was getting about 4,400 cad dols net. He was saving 2k monthly. His net salary in Nigeria was about 400k naira. Note he was working for same company in Nigeria and continued at same company when he got to Canada.

Another was making 3500 a month and was saving 1200 to 1500.

Another is making about 6k net and saving about 2,500
All in Toronto area.

The problem is many Nigerians especially females they want to love above their means. I know someone still doing hustle job ( customer care) while she doing some tech courses. Salary 2200 a month, but is staying in an apartment costing 1700. Well na fine babe so maybe clitocurrency will augment her other bills. Some want to drive benz , some want to eat on uber eats or restaurant daily. One bed room condos in a luxury condo in Toronto is about 2200 now, but there are other apartments you can get for 1500

Wow, so no income tax?

1 Like

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by ednut1(m): 12:25pm On Sep 17, 2022
MadarasBlade:

Wow, so no income tax?
you didn't see the word "net" in my first sentence ba

4 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:10pm On Sep 17, 2022
Me I kuku send anybody discouragement...Any country i wana migrate to ,i go online and research and i go embassy apply.simple..let me go and find out by myself

3 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by youngRx(m): 10:37pm On Sep 17, 2022
I
Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by ThisPower: 11:44pm On Sep 17, 2022
CountVersailles:
Some recent threads coming up here have just been plain, unadultrated lies about cost of living in Canada or some other advanced countries. But I'm choosing Canada because it's the one I know best about that it's just outright lies. Many of them will post and will start claiming that you can't save $200 per month or that bills will kill you and you won't be able to save more than $100 after all bills. Nothing is farther from the truth. Don't let all these dreamkillers and wretched Nigerians who are looking for company in their naija hellholes lie to you about the realities in Canada. Things are much better than they claim.

Typical cost of living in Canada if you have your head screwed on right and are not one of those crazies looking for social media approval or tryin g to show that you have finally arrived after living in extreme poverty in Nigeria.

Accommodation --- $1500 (this is the average you pay for a good, clean place to stay). Obviously not in downtown areas of any city, but why would you want to stay downtown anyways? Who are you seeking to impress? You were not staying in Victoria Island or Ikoyi before you left Nigeria. Instead you were staying in Egbeda, Iyana Ipaja or some other Lagos shithole, but suddenly you are in Canada and you must stay in central Toronto. Hunger wey you reach you dey do press-up. Except you are living in Alberta or Manitoba where $1500 will get you something super high-end, in places like Toronto this gets you something relatively comfortable and YOU WILL BE FINE.

Internet - $85 (this is high-end, super-fast, rarely disappointing internet). Not mtn that only works in the night, or spectranet that doesn't work that well in the Egbeda you were staying back in Lagos.

Hydro - $50 (except you are cooking every single day, you shouldn't pay more than this) And why should you be cooking everyday anyways? Don't you have something better to do with your time?

Car insurance - $200 (most people will pay only $200 for car insurance). But if you are working minimum wage, you are already pushing it. If you don't have absolute need for a car, there's no reason you should be buying one. Not everybody drives. Parking is expensive. You don't automatically translate your life from nigeria to canada and think because you were driving in Nigeria you should be driving in Canada. But let's even say you are stubborn and want to buy a car. Okay, I have included it. Bus pass of $50 per month should do you. There are incentives to buy bus passes for cheap if you are a low-income earner. Low-income earner go still earn 18m naira net per annum o! Wait until I get to the earnings. But let's sha add you car, since you are stubborn anyway.

Groceries - $300. You shouldn't spend more than this in a month. Except you are one of those stupid Nigerians who think they must be going to African store every time and buying Naija indomie when significantly cheaper walmart indomie of various flavours yapa anyhow.

We are already at $2220. If this is your monthly spending, you have a problem already. But let's sha say this is what it is.

Now, how much do you earn? Let's say you are doing one of the lowliest possible jobs working in walmart and telling people 'thank you for coming to walmart" everyday, and helping them checkout and putting on a forceful smile. Let's just assume. And you combine that with car wash cash jobs no weekends. There's no reason you should not be making at least $3000 net in a month. This is the least. Possible to make more.

So, now we have arrived at someone doing one of the poorest jobs and living one of the most comfortable lives, and he's still looking at saving at least $700 every month. So, where are those $200 or $100 ideas coming from? Or those who are claiming you will even be in debt? It's just preposterous to suggest that you can't save.

Now, at $3000 monthly, you are earning $36000 net in a year, which is just ridiculous if you are a professional. If you look well enough, educate yourself well and market yourself too, you will get a professional job (even if na customer service or something else), and you will earn net above $40,000. There are plenty Nigerians, and I mean plenty, who are earning net above $40000. Now, think about how much more you can save since this comes down to $3300 monthly. You will be saving at least $1000 every month!

Obviously, these calculations are for a single person. If you are married just multiply it by two as long as the woman is not the lazy type who just wants to sit at home and not work.

Additionally, there's no reason you should be incuring too many costs if you are earning little. Some of the things you are chasing in Canada you did not have in Nigeria. But suddenly you have arrived and things must change? Cut yourself some slack.

In conclusion, don't let anyone lie to you. You can save a lot of money working in Canada. This is truer if you are a working professional. Most working professionals earn north of $80000 gross. Think about how much more they can save even with those expenses above. And that's just for one person. If it's double income with a couple, you are looking at $160,000 gross. Honestly, by the end of the month, you guys will think you won a jackpot. Little wonder you see Nigerian couples here buying 4, 5 houses on mortgage and paying without hassles. Do your research cheesy

Good one..but I have come to realize that the only thing these people hold against Canada is the "cold".
As if it doesn't get so cold in some part of America too.

Ask them why not canada, you will just hear the silly talk of COLD. Nothing else

Ask them if given free visa to that same Canada, them go say Yes.

Then for UK, only reason them go say is Tax, but they want to enjoy amenities not enjoyed in Nigeria at all even with the tax payment.
People wey no well!!

3 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by emmaodet: 12:46am On Sep 18, 2022
Ooohhh Nooooooo

Not again.

Japa….Traveling……Abroad…..etc

We no dey shame at all??

Damn…. Blacks are backward abeg.

Is this a topic we should even be having a hot debate on at all?
I can’t just imagine whites discussing aggressively about relocating to Africa.
Their great-grand fathers hauled our great-grandfathers in chains abroad forcefully just to return some back after several years with regular Abeg from international community.
Again, they came back to dominate us here.
Then our grandfathers started rallies, protests, crisis demanding their lands and and power back.
The whites again were chased and defeated.
100 of years down the line, we the children have even taken it to a shameful level where first, our parents and ourselves sell our properties just to go WILLINGLY back to the land our forefathers were FORCED to go and start bragging about it.
Countless threads on how to japa and requirements. One of the threads that generates the highest traffics on nairaland.
Na who do black man this kind thing?? I just tire.

6 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by emmaodet: 12:55am On Sep 18, 2022
I think we are getting something really wrong here.
You can’t be comparing or measuring a first world country with a 3rd world country.
If you stay in Canada, the best countries to measure it with are US, UK, Australia and Co. Not a third world country for God sake.
When you call Nigeria, then countries like Kenya, Ghana, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines are all in the same ranges.
Stop comparing Canada to Nigeria. It is unfair.
It like comparing English premier league to Nigeria league. They are not in the same cadre.

Canada know him mate, nigeria know him mate

7 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by cooooooks(m): 6:28am On Sep 18, 2022
Groceries at $300 a month is almost impossible, especially now.

Unless you're using a food bank for most foods.

CountVersailles:

1 Like

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:54am On Sep 18, 2022
Interesting analysis. One thing I do know is that food in Nigeria is way more expensive than the west at least from my experience working in Italy. You could go to a supermarket with 10 euros and buy a lot. This isn't possible in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by Sweetvie: 11:25am On Sep 18, 2022
Well said, it all depends on how you spend your money... If you do pass urself, you will see your friends and be wondering if you guys are in the same Canada. Imagine staying in an apartment for cad1700 when you're only making 2200 how will you be able to save?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 18, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Interesting analysis. One thing I do know is that food in Nigeria is way more expensive than the west at least from my experience working in Italy. You could go to a supermarket with 10 euros and buy a lot. This isn't possible in Nigeria.
But one guy said food is expensive in Canada like here in Nigeria too. He even posted some pictures of what he bought at a very costly rate.
I'm even less concerned about that, all that matters is a good healthcare system where I can treat myself,good economy,24/7 electricity,good roads,and fast Internet...

1 Like

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by CountVersailles(f): 12:55pm On Sep 18, 2022
cooooooks:
Groceries at $300 a month is almost impossible, especially now.

Unless you're using a food bank for most foods.

For a single person how's $300 a month for groceries impossible? I don't agree. If you are spending more than $300 a month on just groceries then you are not doing something right

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by cooooooks(m): 1:19pm On Sep 18, 2022
It is. Grocery prices have risen, some items more than 100%.

Pasta is up 70%, canned beans is up 150%, rice is up 70%, meat is up too 30% plus.

I've travelled to a few provinces this year and prices have risen everywhere. In far places like NL, it's even worse. Even AB prices are up.

A single person that shops smartly, will still spend $500+ a month on groceries if they pay full price.

To save, they could:
- only buy on sale
- buy meat on clearance and in semi bulk (need a good freezer but could also lead to wastage).
- use a food bank for rice, potatoes, cereals, yogurt.

CountVersailles:

For a single person how's $300 a month for groceries impossible? I don't agree. If you are spending more than $300 a month on just groceries then you are not doing something right

1 Like 1 Share

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by SuperWriter(f): 1:42pm On Sep 18, 2022
CountVersailles:

You didn't write about high tax rate.

2 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by SuperWriter(f): 1:43pm On Sep 18, 2022
You didn't talk about the high tax rate.

1 Like

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by jiniux(m): 1:51pm On Sep 18, 2022
Why cant you pass your opinion without denigrating your Father's Land? what is this craze about painting oversea like an Utopia? this is why Africans will continue to be mistreated when we dont even have any regard for our ancestral Land.

5 Likes

Re: True Cost Of Living In Canada by ednut1(m): 1:52pm On Sep 18, 2022
SuperWriter:
You didn't talk about the high tax rate.
is there low tax rate in Nigeria I was paying around 24% as paye while in nigeria. Currently pay 31% in Canada. Any significant difference

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning Of "Is English Your First Language"? / Let's Talk About Qatar / I Got The Opportunity To Travel To Finland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.