Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,254 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves (11944 Views)

The Etiquette Of Visiting The Sick / Disrespecting The Graves / Praying At Graves And The Conditions Of Intercession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by Lukgaf(m): 6:43am On Sep 23, 2022
Praise be to Allah.

The purpose of visiting the graves
It is prescribed to visit graves to learn a lesson from them and to remember the Hereafter. That is subject to the condition that one does not say anything that will anger the Lord, such as calling upon the one who is buried or seeking his help instead of Allah, or praising him and saying that he is for certain in Paradise, etc.

The purpose of visiting the graves is twofold:

- The visitor benefits from remembering death and the dead, remembering that their destiny will be either Paradise or Hell. This is the primary purpose of the visit.

- The deceased also benefits and is treated kindly by the visitor greeting him with salams , making du’a for him, praying for forgiveness for him. This applies only to Muslims.

Making du’a when visiting the grave
Among the du’as that may be recited are:

“Assalamu ‘alaykum ahl al-diyar min al-muminin wa’l-Muslimin, wa inna in sha Allah bikum lahiqun, as alu Allaha lana wa lakum al-‘afiyah (peace be upon you O people of the dwellings, believers and Muslims, In sha Allah we will join you, I ask Allah to keep us and you safe and sound).”

It is permissible to raise the hands when reciting this du’a, because of the hadith of ‘Aishah who said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) went out one night, and I sent Barirah to follow him and see where he went. She said, ‘He went towards Baqi’ al-Gharqad [the graveyard in Madinah], and he stood at the bottom of al-Baqi’ and raised his hands, then he went away.’ Barirah came back to me and told me, and when morning came I asked him about it. I said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, where did you go out to last night? He said, ‘I was sent to the people of al-Baqi’, to pray for them.’”

Etiquette of visiting graves
But you should not face the grave when making du’a for them; rather you should face the direction of the Ka’bah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) forbade prayer (salah) facing graves, and du’a is the heart and soul of salah, as is well known, and is subject to the same rulings.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Du’a is worship” then he recited the ayah (interpretation of the meaning): “And your Lord said: “Invoke Me [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism) and ask Me for anything] I will respond to your (invocation).” [Ghafir 40:60]

You should not walk between the graves of the Muslims wearing your shoes . It was narrated that ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Amir (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: ‘If I were to walk on hot coals or on a sword, or if I were to mend my shoes using my feet, that would be better for me than if I were to walk on the grave of a Muslim. And it makes no difference to me if I were to relieve myself in the midst of the graves or in the middle of the market-place [i.e., both are equally bad].’” (Narrated by Ibn Majah, 1567)

We ask Allah, the Most High, the Omnipotent, to have mercy upon our dead and the deceased Muslims.

And Allah knows best.

Source: IslamQA

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by xahagony: 2:12pm On Sep 23, 2022
Hmm

Lets help build your responsive and secured websites, android, iOS mobile applications and progressive web apps. Plus 24/7 dev support.

+234 817 440 0935
Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 23, 2022
You must be drunk

14 Likes

Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by Godada(m): 2:14pm On Sep 23, 2022
Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by jhydebaba(m): 2:20pm On Sep 23, 2022
But why would mods compulsorily put a statement on my profile. I mistakenly clicked it and viola it was there. No way to delete it. You didn't do same across other religions. Too bad undecided

6 Likes

Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 23, 2022
Both points are incorrect. Facing the grave and praying for the occupant without the intention of veneration or deification is not forbidden. There is no ayah or hadith that directly prohibits this. Furthermore, in cases where there are harmful objects on the ground as is the case with most gravesites, you can walk around with your shoes. Your statements are misleading over generalizations with insufficient details.

Both issues were further covered by islamqa

https://islamqa.info/amp/en/answers/93858

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/106445/ruling-on-walking-in-the-graveyard-wearing-shoes

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by yhkana(m): 2:25pm On Sep 23, 2022
Very Good submission

Liebermann:
Both points are incorrect. Facing the grave and praying for it without the intention of veneration is not forbidden. There is no ayah or hadith that directly prohibits this. Furthermore, in cases where there are harmful objects on the ground as is the case with most gravesites, you can walk around with your shoes. Your statements are over generalisations with insufficient details.

Both issues were further covered by islamqa

https://islamqa.info/amp/en/answers/93858
Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by triple996(m): 3:33pm On Sep 23, 2022
Jazakhalahu khair
I will try to visit and pray for my siblings inshallah

3 Likes

Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by gloryman91: 3:36pm On Sep 23, 2022
May Allah forgive all the Dead Muslims and preserve we the living with Iman and good ending with Kalimah.

3 Likes

Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by Zao19: 9:45pm On Sep 23, 2022
May Allah forgive us all.
Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by barbstee(m): 5:42am On Sep 24, 2022
May Allah forgive the dead Muslims and Grant them paradise
Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by Sayelabola(m): 10:25am On Sep 24, 2022
jhydebaba:
But why would mods compulsorily put a statement on my profile. I mistakenly clicked it and viola it was there. No way to delete it. You didn't do same across other religions. Too bad undecided

Nairaland just irritates me the moment I find out that I can't delete that shit on my profile. [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Etiquettes Of Visiting The Graves by BeardedMeat(m): 9:38am On Sep 27, 2022
Sayelabola:

Nairaland just irritates me the moment I find out that I can't delete that shit on my profile. [color=#990000][/color]
Don't worry. It goes away after a few days of not coming here. Then you will swear again to enter paradise to comment grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Parents Attack Daughter With Acid For Talking To Boy / Zamfara Pilgrim Dies Stoning Devil / Make Dua To Allah For Your Sick Brother. Ask Allah To Cure Him And All Muslims.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.