Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,788 members, 7,851,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:20 AM

Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. (582 Views)

Tenants To Pay 6% Stamp Duty - FIRS Tells Landlords & Property Agents / Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LaGersona: 11:45am On Sep 26, 2022
Our landlord sold his apartment early this month and told everyone that, we have till December 31st to look for another apartment (3months grace).
He would refund the remaining balance of the rent from October until the supposed due date.

We requested that he should give us at least 6months to get another apartment but he is reluctant and told us that no one will be allowed to the apartment after 31st December, 2022.

Guys, I mailed the human rights agency but didn't get any response. I called their number too but didn't get any response either.

I've mailed the Lagos State Minister of Justice, but received an automated response that they've received the mail.

My fellow tenants do gave have the resources to take up this issue and things are difficult for everyone. We all dey face "alot".

Please, I need your advice on what to do? To get another apartment isn't really easy except one would take a low standard apartment, which isn't part of my plans.

3 months is too short �

Lala mod Seun Mynd4
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by Nobody: 11:48am On Sep 26, 2022
E don happen
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 26, 2022
Sue the landlord.
You guys have your rights...
It's not fair
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by ayourbamie: 11:51am On Sep 26, 2022
Wait for response from the ministry of justice or the human rights. In the meantime while waiting, gather your money to get another apartment.

If you don't know anyone in Nigeria and you don't have money. You're on your own

1 Like

Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by MrBrownJay1(m): 11:52am On Sep 26, 2022
as much as you can sue the landlord, make sure you have an alternate place to go to on the 1st of January... just in case!
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LikeAking: 11:54am On Sep 26, 2022
LaGersona:
Our landlord sold his apartment early this month and told everyone that, we have till December 31st to look for another apartment (3months grace).
He would refund the remaining balance of the rent from October until the supposed due date.

We requested that he should give us at least 6months to get another apartment but he is reluctant and told us that no one will be allowed to the apartment after 31st December, 2022.

Guys, I mailed the human rights agency but didn't get any response. I called their number too but didn't get any response either.

I've mailed the Lagos State Minister of Justice, but received an automated response that they've received the mail.

My fellow tenants do gave have the resources to take up this issue and things are difficult for everyone. We all dey face "alot".

Please, I need your advice on what to do? To get another apartment isn't really easy except one would take a low standard apartment, which isn't part of my plans.

3 months is too short �

Lala mod �

Pls don't waste ya time. Just get a new house. Meet those house agents.

Those people u call fellow tenants will betray u at the right time.

Take ur balance and bounce. The 3 months is enuf, even if him give u 6 months e go still come and go in a flash... 6 months na nothing fr house mata.

Good luck...

1 Like

Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by sirrotex: 11:56am On Sep 26, 2022
A Landlord has every right to sell his property. He also has a duty to introduce you to the new landlord. It is then for the new landlord to decide if he wants to retain the tenants or evict them. Where the new landlord decides to evict the tenants, he is bound to give the requisite quit notice to each tenant depending on the nature of tenancy of the tenant and based on the extant tenancy law of that State. Anything short of this is a gross illegality
LaGersona:

3 months is too short �

Lala mod �

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by BurialGround: 12:01pm On Sep 26, 2022
LikeAking:

Pls don't waste ya time. Just get a new house. Meet those house agents.

This is why even your politicians takes you guys as shit. If this fellow should go to court he'll make more money from this case but fear fear won't let him do that.

I once took a landlord to court for renting an apartment to me without keeping to his promise of fixing the electricity. I was rewarded with half a million naira as damages and my total rent money was given back to me, the court gave me 3 months to vacate the place.
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LaGersona: 12:35pm On Sep 26, 2022
Jennifer663:
Sue the landlord.
It's not fair

I already planned this but these things requires money too.
I've tried to reach out to some human right activists (to lower the cost of hiring a lawyer) but to no avail.
Considering the fact the there are othet
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LaGersona: 12:36pm On Sep 26, 2022
Jennifer663:
Sue the landlord.
It's not fair

I already planned this but these things requires money too.
I've tried to reach out to some human right activists (to lower the cost of hiring a lawyer) but to no avail.
Considering the fact the there are other tenants involved too. But most of the tenants haven't shown much zeal.
This is a clean case that the landlord would not even wish we take to court.
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LaGersona: 12:40pm On Sep 26, 2022
ayourbamie:
Wait for response from the ministry of justice or the human rights. In the meantime while waiting, gather your money to get another apartment.

If you don't know anyone in Nigeria and you don't have money. You're on your own

I've sent a follow up mail this morning. Also, I called one of the Lagos State Ministry of Justice's number on Friday and I was told to register the case in magistrates court.
I don't know if it involves money (that is the major concern of other tenants). It just baffles me that they are worried about money to register a case but the money to get another apartment isn't available as well.
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LaGersona: 12:42pm On Sep 26, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
as much as you can sue the landlord, make sure you have an alternate place to go to on the 1st of January... just in case!

I thought about getting another apartment but the time frame is too short. And money isn't readily available for such plan.
Rents have increased over 60% since January. Omo, e no easy o
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LaGersona: 12:47pm On Sep 26, 2022
sirrotex:
A Landlord has every right to sell his property. He also has a duty to introduce you to the new landlord. It is then for the new landlord to decide if he wants to retain the tenants or evict them. Where the new landlord decides to evict the tenants, he is bound to give the requisite quit notice to each tenant depending on the nature of tenancy of the tenant and based on the extant tenancy law of that State. Anything short of this is a gross illegality

Yes, he has the right to sell the apartment. I also heard that he introduced the new landlord to few tenants.
Note: He didn't inform anyone that we would visit the apartment. So most of the tenants ain't aware if his arrival.
From the information I gathered, the new landlord wants everyone to move out of the apartment by 31st December and it's none negotiable.

The landlord came to the apartment few days ago, after I chatted him that he hasn't addressed everyone about his plan. Na d same thing the landlord insist.
He even threatened that, no one will be allowed to move to the apartment after 31st December.
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LaGersona: 12:50pm On Sep 26, 2022
BurialGround:

This is why even your politicians takes you guys as shit. If this fellow should go to court he'll make more money from this case but fear fear won't let him do that.

I once took a landlord to court for renting an apartment to me without keeping to his promise of fixing the electricity. I was rewarded with half a million naira as damages and my total rent money was given back to me, the court gave me 3 months to vacate the place.

Thanks for this. We've normalised every deeds in Nigeria. If you react, someone would say " na like dat dem dey do. Just leave dem"

I don't have the resources to sue the landlord, else I would have hired a lawyer and proceed with legal case.
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LaGersona: 12:52pm On Sep 26, 2022
Thanks for your response everyone.
We need to sort this thing before the deadline or before the end of October. E no easy at all
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by sapeleboi(m): 2:44pm On Sep 26, 2022
guy move out sharp sharp b cos normally na 90 days them de give that's 3 months
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by mrsage(m): 3:03pm On Sep 26, 2022
Lagos State Office of the public defender

Head Office: 2-8, Iyun Road, Off Funsho Williams Avenue, Stadium Hotel Bus-Stop, Surulere, Lagos State.

Ikorodu Office: Candide Johnson Court House, The Combined High/Magistrate Court, Ita-Elewa, Ikorodu, Lagos State.

Ogba Office: Samuel Ilori Court House, Ogba, Agege, Lagos State.

Epe Office: Ligali Ayorinde, Combined Magistrate/High Court, Epe, Lagos State.

Badagry Office (Temporary): Main Badagry Town Hall, Badagry, Lagos.

Pay them a visit or call

Another option

Approach the magistrate court close to your house and request to talk to a court official.

Then you take it up from there. You may need a lawyer eventually.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:47pm On Sep 26, 2022
LaGersona:

I thought about getting another apartment but the time frame is too short. And money isn't readily available for such plan.
Rents have increased over 60% since January. Omo, e no easy o

regardless of the above, whether you like it or not, you will have to move out. when was rent due?
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LikeAking: 7:05pm On Sep 26, 2022
BurialGround:

The OP may not be financially strong. He shud get a new house.
Re: Landlord Sold Our Apartment And Asked Every Tenants To Leave By 31st December. by LaGersona: 5:47pm On Oct 22, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

regardless of the above, whether you like it or not, you will have to move out. when was rent due?

I still have some months left. Some tenants have over 9 months left except one, whose rent expired last month.

Sorry for the late response. I've been on visitor's mode for some weeks now.

(1) (Reply)

Luxuriously Finished 2bedroom Flat & Miniflat To Let @ Agbede Ikorodu. PIXXX / Townhome Or Semidetached Need Urgently / 650 Sqm In Vgc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.