Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,980 members, 7,810,723 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:56 PM

CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation (18083 Views)

CBN Raises Interest Rate To 18.75% / Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation / CBN Raises Interest Rate To 14% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by politicoNG: 3:05pm On Sep 27, 2022
CBN to mop up liquidity from Banks by Thursday

The Central Bank of Nigeria has stated that it will implement aggressive cash reserve requirement “CRR” measures by mopping up liquidity from commercial banks by Thursday latest.

He warned banks to fund their accounts immediately.

This was revealed by CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele as he briefed the media following the end of the monetary policy committee meeting.

The Governor also explained that banks that fail to fund their bank accounts will be denied access to the foreign exchange market.

The apex bank believes increased liquidity is one of the major reasons why the exchange rate has been depreciating.

The MPC voted to increase interest rates to a whopping 15.5% as the apex bank battles rising inflation amidst a fiscal crisis.

https://nairametrics.com/2022/09/27/breaking-cbn-to-mop-up-liquidity-from-banks-by-thursday/

The policy-setting committee of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has raised the monetary policy rate (MPR), which measures interest rate, from 14 percent to 15.5 percent to tame rising inflation.

In July, the interest rate was raised from 13 per cent to 14 percent.

The monetary policy rate (MPR) is the baseline interest rate in an economy, every other interest rate used within an economy is built on it.

Addressing journalists on Tuesday after the committee’s meeting at the CBN headquarters in Abuja, Godwin Emefiele, governor of the apex bank, said 10 members of the committee voted for the rate hike.

In August, Nigeria’s inflation rate rose to a nearly two-decade high at 20.52%.

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-cbn-raises-interest-rate-to-15-5-to-tame-rising-inflation/amp

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Guyman01: 3:25pm On Sep 27, 2022
And Keyamo will open his loud mouth to tell us that all those endorsed by Afenifere failed to win in previous presidential elections. That should be a mark of respect and a badge of honour for those Yoruba elders.
Keyamo doesn't realise that what an elder sees while sitting on a chair, a youth may never see it even if he climbs an Iroko tree.

If we had listened to these elders in 2015 and 2019 and refused to follow the person who repackaged a failed former military Head of State who since he left office in 1984 could only boast of 150 cows as assets, a Buhari who didn't belong to the board of any company,
who didn't start any foundation even if it's to take Almajiris out of the street,
who didn't write a single book,
who didn't get any new academic qualifications except his controversial military training that got him to the rank of General,
a man who didn't establish any single factory that employed anyone nor a farm holding that produces even if it's eggs like Obasanjo farms,
a man that all he had was fake and questionable acclaim of integrity which Nigerians didn't accept in 2003, 2007, 2011 until he was repackaged by one of the current candidates in conjunction with Obama Campaign Manager David Axelrod as a conduit to achieving his own personal ambition in 2023 we won't be in this mess that all we get is daily pressing of our necks.

I have made up my mind on who among the contestants has the greater potential to turn the country around for good. You can choose your own candidate but do so wisely.

A lot of my friends have Japa from the country already, others are staying back just on a tinge of hope inspired by one of the presidential candidates and if he fails because we usually vote out of tribal and religious sentiments many of them will join the Japa gang next year.

Most youths I meet on the street will tell you that Nigeria don cast, they are not seeing any hope but whenever they watch videos of the most vocal presidential candidate about Nigeria's situation and ways of solving the myriad of problems they see a small tinge of hope in Nigeria.

Please choose wisely, me that is writing this is not finding things easy in this country but there's hope and to the OP pouring out his heart in a previous thread about loosing his job please don't give up, I can personally feel your pains just like many others because hopes of finding another job is slim and news like this is not helpful as companies will find it inconvenient to borrow for expansion with this increase in interest rate, but don't give up, God will not forsake us.

130 Likes 9 Shares

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Anndrew(m): 3:25pm On Sep 27, 2022
Mumu man mumu cbn

17 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by SIMONEKPA7: 3:25pm On Sep 27, 2022
Emefiele is a disaster

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 3:26pm On Sep 27, 2022
I still don't get it, will the interest rates reflect on customer accounts?

9 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 27, 2022
Naira will gain value nw.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by tishbite42: 3:26pm On Sep 27, 2022
This Emefiele and hin Fulani economics
May God help us

26 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Kingpele(m): 3:26pm On Sep 27, 2022
CBN is very clueless this days ,I just weak

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Alexas58: 3:26pm On Sep 27, 2022
A very nice move to curb inflation and help raise the Naira.
Most people would not understand the implications of this, since they don’t understand how the forex market works

Modified: to all those quoting me, it’s very simple. The game is between demand and supply!..
The naira will fall to about 690 as against the dollar soon… and continue dropping low!.. might take years to reach 500…
But we woudnt see it go higher like upto 750 as against the dollar!

Hope this explains the move of the cbn!
If they don’t do this, poverty rate and hunger would increase because the prices of things would skyrocket more

Thanks

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by IamDietiesGod: 3:26pm On Sep 27, 2022
Kuku kill us.

1 Like

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Ademola47(m): 3:27pm On Sep 27, 2022
Ok..
Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by gambojimeta: 3:27pm On Sep 27, 2022
It is well. Lending to get more costly.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Aareakinwunmi(m): 3:27pm On Sep 27, 2022
They can't think on there own, always copying the US federal reserve.
Uk refuses to increase interest rate, that's a thinking country

6 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by RomanGreen: 3:27pm On Sep 27, 2022
Primary school economics, this will only have minimal effect for some short period after which the free fall of the naira continues. Foolish people

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by lasthero: 3:27pm On Sep 27, 2022
Kingpele:
CBN is very clueless this days ,I just weak
tishbite42:
This Emefiele and hin Fulani economics
May God help us
B
SIMONEKPA7:
Emefiele is a disaster
Anndrew:
Mumu man mumu cbn

SMH, I think Economics should be made compulsory for everybody and every courses up to university level.

In a lay man explanation. When there are too much money in circulation or when there is a perceived inflation, government regulatory body increases interest rates to banks and bank increase interest rates to customers which reduces customer borrowing from banks and hence reduce money in circulation and reduces inflation.

On the other hand. When there are lesser money in circulation, govt reduces interest rates to banks and bank also reduce to loan borrowers to encourage loans.

In economics, it's explained in terms of bonds.

Modified.
I love the quotes and mentions I am getting from my post. And I love how folks debated my post constructively without insults. Nigerians are actually smart and brilliant ��

20 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Ex0rrcist: 3:28pm On Sep 27, 2022
Oga devalue the currency, let's know where we are headed. An economy with two exchange rate is bound to collapse, ask Sri Lanka. Devalue the currency to meet the current market rate, so this will enable him to control the situation. But no, mumu man working for mumu president with stupid economic decisions. Can't wait for the next dispensation, honestly this government is really terrible.

If not for the high level of corruption going on in this government, haven't they suppose to remove subsidy by now. Dollar is 725, they exchanged dollar at 425 among themselves, since they are only there to add to our woes. How will they even understand the pains of ordinary Nigerians hustling under the hot sun when all they do is antipeople.

13 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Vilgax: 3:28pm On Sep 27, 2022
scary stuff.
let's see if this can slow down inflation...

incase you don't really understand what this means, this na wetin dey sup.

when a central bank raise interest rate.
your normal bank will also respond by raising their own interest rate.
with higher interest rate, people will tend to spend less and demand for goods and services will also drop, which will cause inflation to fall.
When demand is low, most companies won't raise their prices in order to stay competitive. since prices of goods and services aren't increasing that fast, you've managed to reduce inflation.
this is how CBN raising interest rates is meant to curb inflation.
but na Naija we dey, our own economics dey always different.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by paragon40(m): 3:28pm On Sep 27, 2022
Alexas58:
Most people would not understand the implications of this, since they don’t understand how the forex market works
Kindly educate us more. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Mandesz(m): 3:28pm On Sep 27, 2022
Confused albino man. Aboki ass leaker. His sense has been taking away by late aboki man, issa funtua.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Shedrack777: 3:28pm On Sep 27, 2022
this news no sweet me
Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Gbeng30(m): 3:28pm On Sep 27, 2022
OK, let see how this go help naira ...because Nigeria doesn't feel your impact on this inflation of a thing
Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by janvier27(m): 3:29pm On Sep 27, 2022
CBN is either wobbling in the dark or playing the ostrich.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Sleyk: 3:29pm On Sep 27, 2022
Emiefele na obi brother? undecided undecided undecided just checking something.
Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Terror48: 3:29pm On Sep 27, 2022
APC is cursed

3 Likes

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Deltavariant(m): 3:29pm On Sep 27, 2022
The most lazy way of fighting inflation, just sit and keep increasing interest rates. No incentives, no palliatives.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by clockwisereport: 3:30pm On Sep 27, 2022
Alexas58:
please explain it to us in simple terms

1 Like

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by waslag11(m): 3:30pm On Sep 27, 2022
Way to go if naira will appreciate
Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Eriokanmi: 3:30pm On Sep 27, 2022
That one no concern me. Let them pump dollars into circulation and everything will be alright. I bought a dollar at 720 today. APC is a disaster to this nation. Cefa is now more valuable than naira. What a pity undecided We've seen enough change they promised us. May the APC never near power again.

Urchins, if you like, shout Emilokan till next year, it will always pass in deaf ears. Wetin we go do dey our mind.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Kaa4(m): 3:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
Buharinomics at its best. turning the financial market on its head.
Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by Ekejoestar(m): 3:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
Raising interest rates may hurt sme in the long run due to unavailability of cheap serviceable loan.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation by ogatboy(m): 3:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
Dollar about to hit all time high by Friday. Who need dollar?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

“We need to do more collectively for Africa”- Halima Dangote / Guide To Create, Verify, And Activate Wise Account In Nigeria / Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.