Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,162 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

Job Prospects With A Masters In Pharmacy - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Job Prospects With A Masters In Pharmacy (2899 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / Job Prospects For A Bsc Microbiologist In Nigeria / B.sc In Biochemistry & Masters In Pharmacy Can They Go Together? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Prospects With A Masters In Pharmacy by mamacy: 3:58pm On Aug 16, 2011
Hello nairalanders!!! i really want to know the job prospects in Nigeria with a masters in pharmacy. I decided to go for masters because i couldnt see myself dispensing for the rest of my life. Not that i hate dispensing, but i just see it as being monotonous,

A lecturer of mine advised me to go into academics, but i dnt think i have the gift of lecturing and dealing with students. I also hear pharmaceutical companies in Nigeria pay close to nothing, i am concerned abt the direction to go now,

Plss, i need intelligent replies. thanks
Re: Job Prospects With A Masters In Pharmacy by violent(m): 7:00pm On Aug 16, 2011
but i dnt think i have the gift of lecturing and dealing with students.

This sounds like the excuse i gave my dad when he wanted me to study medicine. . .the old man told me to cut the bullshyt and get straight to the point. . .and yes I did, i told him i wanted to make lots of money, legally in a professional occupation, and being a medical doctor will not provide me with such!

So, there you go, OP, why not cut the bullshyt and get straight to the point?

i am concerned abt the direction to go now,

where are you currently located?  Have you considered sectors outside the pharmaceutical industry? If you are not looking to get hooked in the pharmaceutical industry doing all the boring stuffs like dispensing, consulting might just be the way to go!  In this case you might have to take up a second masters degree in management or enroll for an MBA.
Re: Job Prospects With A Masters In Pharmacy by claremont(m): 7:12pm On Aug 16, 2011
mamacy:

Hello nairalanders!!! i really want to know the job prospects in Nigeria with a masters in pharmacy. I decided to go for masters because i couldnt see myself dispensing for the rest of my life. Not that i hate dispensing, but i just see it as being monotonous,

A lecturer of mine advised me to go into academics, but i dnt think i have the gift of lecturing and dealing with students. I also hear pharmaceutical companies in Nigeria pay close to nothing, i am concerned abt the direction to go now,

Plss, i need intelligent replies. thanks
[b]You will be well advised to pursue a career outside Nigeria, don't bother going to Nigeria to pursue a career in the pharmaceutical industry. Most pharmacists in Nigeria end up as medical representatives (glorified salesmen), hospital/community pharmacy dispensers (glorified ATM machine), or university lecturers. Indulging in any of these career lines immediately forces you into a rat race, by the time you get old you will then wonder why you have wasted your life.

Your best bet if you are academic oriented is to do a PhD with/without a scholarship, and then do a fully paid Post-Doctorate. You can then pursue a career in research in any of the developed countries in the world where knowledge is respected, you don't necessarily have to combine research with lecturing because they are two different fields. If you don't fancy research, you can also relocate to countries like Canada, New Zealand, and Australia to pursue a career practising pharmacy as a profession. Good luck either way though![/b]
Re: Job Prospects With A Masters In Pharmacy by mamacy: 9:34pm On Aug 16, 2011
@violent,am in SA presently and its difficult to get a job here except u have their permanent residence, which is another battle acquiring, moving out of here will be d best for me, but all d same thanks

@Claremont, i think i ve decided to go for research, thanks for shedding more light, all this while i thought one has to combine research and lecturing together, u made my day!!!
Re: Job Prospects With A Masters In Pharmacy by claremont(m): 7:40am On Aug 17, 2011
^^^^
No worries! I am in the same industry myself, but I have long since abandoned practise for research. cool
Re: Job Prospects With A Masters In Pharmacy by ninja4life(m): 8:29pm On Jul 15, 2014
claremont: ^^^^
No worries! I am in the same industry myself, but I have long since abandoned practise for research. cool
did u study pharmacy in Nigeria?am considering choosing pharmacy as my course of study,do u know abt d job prospect in Nigeria?also i will like some info abt practicing outside nigeria as a pharmacist.hope u respond smiley

(1) (Reply)

How to crush boredom and create excitement / UAE : Work Visa Information / COREN Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.