Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia (31640 Views)

Kim Yo Jong Threatens Military Action Against South Korea / President Ramaphosa Makes Mistake On TV Against Xenophobia (Video) / British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by HonNL: 1:43pm On Oct 09, 2022
The 51st session of the UN Human Rights Council (held between 12 September - 7 October 2022) considered issues including systemic racism, enforced disappearances, climate change, water and sanitation, the rights of people of African descent, and colonialism, amongst others.

The United Kingdom, United States and Ukraine voted against a resolution to take action against racism at the fifty-first session of the United Nations Human Rights Council.

Countries that voted against the resolution include Czech Rep., France, Germany, Montenegro, the Netherlands and Poland. There were seven abstentions.

On Friday, the resolution titled ‘From rhetoric to reality: a global call for concrete action against racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance’ was tabled before the council.

On Friday, the United Nations Human Rights Council adopted 14 resolutions, extending mandates on Ethiopia, Burundi, the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Central African Republic, and Somalia.

The Council also adopted resolutions on the situation of human rights in the Syrian Arab Republic; strengthening the voluntary funds for the universal periodic review mechanism of the Human Rights Council; national human rights institutions.

Also was a global call for concrete action against racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance; promoting international cooperation to support national mechanisms for implementation, reporting and follow-up.

Lastly was an enhancement of technical cooperation and capacity building in the field of human rights; technical assistance and capacity building to address the human rights implications of the nuclear legacy in the Marshall Islands; and on technical assistance and capacity building for Yemen in the field of human rights.

SOURCE

SOURCE

UK gives reasons for voting NO

Mr. President, we remain resolute in our commitment to combating all forms of racism, racial discrimination and xenophobia and related intolerance whether that be at home or abroad. Discrimination of any kind has no place in society, and we will continue to treat all forms of discrimination with equal seriousness.

Nonetheless, we have a number of concerns with this text. We do not agree with the multiple references to the Durban Conference, given the historic concerns over antisemitism. And we cannot accept the references to the Durban Review Conference or the positive language regarding last year’s commemorative event in New York and its political declaration.

We do not agree with claims made in this resolution that states are required to make reparations for the slave trade and colonialism, which caused great suffering to many but were not, at that time, violations of international law. Moreover, these claims divert focus from the pressing challenges of tackling contemporary racism and global inequality – which are global challenges affecting all regions. We believe that the most effective way for us all today to respond to the cruelty of the past is to ensure that current and future generations do not forget what happened.

Mr. President, we stressed last year that the importance of the fight against racism requires that we move forward together on a common path. For that to happen, we must come together to find a new approach, one that focuses on what we are all individually and collectively going to do to combat the scourge that is modern-day racism. This draft resolution, however, does not offer the sort of new approach around which we can achieve consensus and for that reason we will vote against it.

We are committed to continuing a dialogue with the sponsors of this resolution and hope that we might be able to reach a different outcome in the future.

Thank you Mr. President.

Rita French
UK Human Rights Ambassador
Published 7 October 2022

SOURCE

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by HonNL: 1:45pm On Oct 09, 2022

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by HonNL: 1:46pm On Oct 09, 2022
The US has consistently voted NO. This was their reason, last year.

The United States is committed to countering racism and racial discrimination in all its forms, at home and abroad. In his first weeks in office, President Biden put forward a whole-of government strategy to embed racial justice and equity for marginalized populations across Federal agencies, policies, and programs. At the 46th session of the Human Rights Council, the United States led a joint statement signed by 158 countries condemning racism and racial discrimination and resolving to do more to address systemic racism. The United States is committed to working with partners to promote racial and ethnic equity, as we host the Summit for Democracy in December and approach the final two years of the International Decade for People of African Descent. The United States also strongly supported the creation of a Permanent Forum for People of African Descent.

The United States believes the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination provides comprehensive protections in this area and constitutes the most relevant international framework to address all forms of racial discrimination. In addition, we remain deeply concerned about speech that advocates national, racial, or religious hatred, particularly when it constitutes discrimination, hostility, or incitement to violence. We remain convinced that the best antidote to offensive speech is a combination of robust legal protections against discrimination and hate crimes; proactive government outreach to racial and religious minority communities; and the vigorous protection of freedom of expression, both online and offline.

As in previous years, we deeply regret that we cannot support this resolution, which does not genuinely focus on countering racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance. Among our concerns are the resolution’s endorsement of the Durban Declaration and Program of Action (DDPA), the outcome of the Durban review conference and its endorsement of overbroad restrictions on freedom of speech and expression. We reject any effort to advance the “full implementation” of the DDPA. We believe this resolution serves as a vehicle to prolong divisions , rather than providing an inclusive way forward for the international community to counter the scourge of racism and racial discrimination.

In addition, the United States cannot accept the resolution’s call for States to consider withdrawing reservations to Article 4 of the CERD. Further, this resolution has no effect as a matter of international law. We also reject the resolution’s call for “former colonial Powers” to provide reparations “consistent with” the DDPA.

Sofija Korac
Advisor for Economic and Social Affairs
New York, New York
November 15, 2021

SOURCE

2 Likes

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by lhordspy: 1:48pm On Oct 09, 2022
Where are the evil westerner's chearleaders and supporters? Your slave masters just voted against the stop of your continuos executioning, killings and segregation.

O ye black slaves that fell inlove with the chains.. Time to wake up.

I will keep saying it and always repeating it.

The UK, US, and other evil westerners are nothing but hypocrites. They will always deceives us, we blacks like they do care. They fvcking dont.

Every now and then, blacks are killed and racism is at the highest presently.
Just look at the golden Opportunity that presented itself for them to end it, to stop it... to make it go away. Guess what? They refused! They declined ! We blacks are their slaves afterall, why should they allow us free? grin

Everytime you blacks are killed, they act like they care.. Remember the taking of knees in the english premier league?
Remember black live matters streaming on all mainstream media?

Here is the strategy, when there is an upset or uproar, they bring up different consolidations and consolations strategies to calm us like a baby. "Our hearts and prayer are with you in this trying times....... Blah blah Nonsense'

Then 4-5 months later, little by little the fake pity-campaigns vanishes. And then boom! It happens again, another black is killed! then they starts playing by the scripts all over again. That is the strategy there my friends. These guys are hypocrites, pretenders... its all gimmicks, charade, stratagem, ruse ,artifice, gambit, cozenages,cunniness ,deceptions, fakeries, ... Any evil deceptive and manipulative words one can think of.

In a discussion of racism, there is no neutrality. It is either for or against.
And Quietness is the loudest form of injustice. Reason why we keep talking till we are heard

- A wise nairalander

The joke is on you Bl*ck Monk*ys . Lover of the slave master's chain cheesy

225 Likes 24 Shares

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by JasonScoolari: 1:53pm On Oct 09, 2022
The truth still remains that these people are not ready to end racism. Forget the gimmicks they put up in the media to preach against it, (most notable, taking of the kneel before a premier league game starts)

Sad thing is that majority of the victims of Racism worship these people especially the UK and US.

It will be nearly impossible to defeat Racism, but definitely it will die a natural death.

101 Likes 6 Shares

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by God1000(m): 1:59pm On Oct 09, 2022
Why such move, this is unacceptable

I'm surprised to be honest because I don't expect this from the Biden administration, even the current US ambassador to UN is a black woman.

But domestically, the Biden administration has shown the willingness to end racism and white supremacy. Some high ranking black men and women serving in biden's cabinet include.

1. Michael Regan, the first Black man to lead the Environmental Protection Agency

2. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, the first Black person in the post

3. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Marcia Fudge

4. U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield

5. Cecilia Rouse, chair of the Council of Economic Advisers. Rouse is the first Black woman to lead the council.

6. Shalanda Young, acting director of the White House Office of Management and Budget.

7. Karine Jean-Pierre, white house press secretary

8. Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson
Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.

9. The current US vice President Kamala Harris is also a black woman, Joe biden picked her.

The list is endless

President biden also signed executive order on the second anniversary of George Floyd's death directing federal agencies to revise use-of-force policies, banning tactics such as chokeholds, restricting practices like no-knock warrants and promoting de-escalation techniques.

This is why I'm still a fan of Biden, Donald trump didn't appoint a single black man in his cabinet, he remains the most racist president in US history

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 09, 2022
What did you expect? A thief will never approve the death sentence for theft.

At this point, every country should focus on nationalism and their national interest.

The West are focused on protecting their interests, the global south should do same.

83 Likes 8 Shares

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by ponyonm: 2:11pm On Oct 09, 2022
To think that these are the same people most Nairaland members cheer about and support...lol.

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by tamdun: 2:41pm On Oct 09, 2022
And some mofuckers still support these people

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by Faithful007: 2:46pm On Oct 09, 2022
God1000:
Why such move, this is unacceptable

I'm surprised to be honest because I don't expect this from the Biden administration, even the current US ambassador to UN is a black woman.

But domestically, the Biden administration has shown the willingness to end racism and white supremacy. Some high ranking black men and women serving in biden's cabinet include.

1. Michael Regan, the first Black man to lead the Environmental Protection Agency

2. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, the first Black person in the post

3. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Marcia Fudge

4. U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield

5. Cecilia Rouse, chair of the Council of Economic Advisers. Rouse is the first Black woman to lead the council.

6. Shalanda Young, acting director of the White House Office of Management and Budget.

7. Karine Jean-Pierre, white house press secretary

8. Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson
Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.

The list is endless

This is why I'm still a fan of Biden, Donald trump didn't appoint a single black man in his cabinet, he remains the most racist president in US history

Don't believe any news you see without verifying details. That's what will differentiate a smart person from an average daft youth.

The news seems strange because normally that isn't what the US would do. There was something slipped into the bill that did not sit right with them, which relates to the Israel-Palestine conflict.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by God1000(m): 2:49pm On Oct 09, 2022
Faithful007:
Don't believe any news you see without verifying details. That's what will differentiate a smart person from an average daft youth.

The news seems strange because normally that isn't what the US would do. There was something slipped into the bill that did not sit right with them, which relates to the Israel-Palestine conflict.
exactly, even the current administration is also in support of two state solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

This must be fake news

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by GeneralPula: 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2022
Make I chill till they verify this..
Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by seanwilliam(m): 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2022
Na dem know .
Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2022
Wait
Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by Falseprofet2: 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2022
What did russia vote for

3 Likes

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by Tunasco4u(m): 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2022
Ok
Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by Laple0541(m): 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2022
Highest ranked racists.

1 Like

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by Righteousness2(m): 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2022
These ones are deceiving themselves.
You take action against racism and so on but you take action for abomination, Abnormally, gay , lesbian, etc.
Who is deceiving who?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by boldking(m): 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2022
This is not talking about Tinubu, what a nice move
Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by GeneralPula: 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2022
lhordspy:
Where are the evil westerners chearleaders and supporters? Your slave master just voted against the stop of your continuos executioning, killings and segregation.

O ye black slaves that fell inlove with the chains.. Time to wake up.

I will keep saying it and always repeating it.

The UK, US, and other evil westerners are nothing but hypocrites. They will always deceived us, we blacks like they do care. They fvcking dont.

Every now and then, blacks are killed and racism is at the highest presently.
Just look at the golden Opportunity that presented itself for them to end it, to stop it... to make it go away. Guess what? They refused! They declined ! We blacks are their slaves afterall, why should they allow us free? grin

Everytime you blacks are killed, they act like they care.. Remember the taking the knees in the english premier league?
Remember black live matters streaming on all mainstream media?

That is the strategy, when there is an upset or uproar, they bring up different consolidations and consolations strategy to calm us like a baby. "Our hearts and prayer are with you in this trying times....... Blah blah Nonsense'

Then 4-5 months, little by little the pity-campaigns vanishes. And then boom! It happens again, another black is killed! then they starts playing by the scripts all over again. That is the strategy there my friends. This guys are hypocrites, pretenders... its all gimmicks, charade, stratagem, ruse ,artifice, gambit, cozenages,cunniness ,deceptions, fakeries, ... Any evil deceptive and manipulative words one can think of.

The joke is on you Bl*ck Monk*ys . Lover of the slave master chains cheesy
Did you read?

9 Likes

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by owiko(m): 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2022
D
Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by marlow1962(m): 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2022
That’s their business.
When I go over that side again, any bleached modafvka that calls me monkey, I will knock the fvk outta him ( I no mind go jail, as long as say I beat shit commot from em body)

6 Likes

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by Johnrake69: 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2022
This is what I'm talking about. Hey Blackman tea has been served continue practicing ethnicity and tribalism among yourselves while the war against the black race rages on.

Kill yourselves over religious sentiments while you're systematically subjugated to poverty, slavery etc

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by Brendaniel: 2:53pm On Oct 09, 2022
God1000:
exactly, even the current administration is also in support of two state solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

This must be fake news

When I tell people like you about the hypocrisy of the west and why Africans need to do away with them and their style of governance, you all call me hater, reason I preferred Trump's style of leadership to Biden and Obama, you might hate Trump for his harsh words or behaviour but I will prefer someone who tells me to my face that he hates me than someone who will deceive me with love but is doing everything possible to bring me down at my back.

From their style of Colonization(cut and join of tribes and regions in Africa), the type of democracy they imposed on Africa, the continuous exploitation of African resources, Assassinations, removals and refusing of African leaders who would have turned things around for Africa, the fake Aids they always claim to offer Africa even when they know they are not doing the right thing, the deceitful loans and finally the LGBTQ agenda they are forcefully trying to impose on Africa...

Yet some Africans do not see through the lies and deceit of the west

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by money121(m): 2:53pm On Oct 09, 2022
Ok
Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by ecolime(m): 2:54pm On Oct 09, 2022
We can now see the true racists between Democrats and Republicans. I love GOPs that are racist, they will let you know straight up and you avoid them. But the evil Democrats, they form woke, all-inclusive but all na wash. They are snakes & hard core pretenders.

Biden and his cohorts are a sham. They act like they truly love non-whites whereas it's only their votes they need.

Their stupid excuse is they don't support the Durban resolutions which includes reparations to former colonies by colonial masters.

China that we much malign even voted YES shocked

This is an eye opener to we asslickers of these Western folks. I love and prefer them to the east because opportunities abound there for everyone irrespective of your origin but the truth is they are RACIST and hate people of my kind of colour.

Our children will always be treated as inferior because they are blacks. I don't see this changing in generations to come.

Sad reality

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by tishbite41(m): 2:54pm On Oct 09, 2022
Black Africans, you see your Western gods abi
God bless Putin

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by Ngwamankillyou(m): 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2022
I love that.. as an Igbo man you know.

1 Like

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by compton11(m): 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2022
Igbo people, your white masters have voted against taking action on racism,so what u going say about it? grin cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by ProJectAnatot(m): 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2022
The Premier league still take a knee as a demonstration against racism before every single football match.
There was a useless black lives matters movement... But the west can not vote for punishment to be meted against racism and xenophobic attack.

Hypocrisy... The very reason I don't like the WEST.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia by BigYash: 2:56pm On Oct 09, 2022
tamdun:
And some mofuckers still support these people
The black folks sees them as their gods

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Biden Announces Historic Oil Reserve Release, To Reduce Gas Prices. / Relentless Storm Drowns California, USA ( Pics, Video) / "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.